Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I did that stealth follow quest first try. Come on, y'all had to know he was going to turn around at least once right?

The stealth clothes are a must have and should be the first big purchase you make, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a complete waste but I find it very satisfying to use an ancient arrow on Yiga Clansmen.

Can't ninja teleport out of that.

Ancient arrows become pretty easy to farm, I just mess around with them at this point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

I did that stealth follow quest first try. Come on, y'all had to know he was going to turn around at least once right?

The stealth clothes are a must have and should be the first big purchase you make, imo.

He turned around a couple times, what I wasn't expecting was him running to the side. Whoops.

Nephzinho posted:

Ancient arrows become pretty easy to farm, I just mess around with them at this point.

Yeah, I need to toy around with seeing if I can rip the weapons out of the hands of Lynel with shock/magnesis so I can just grab their weapons and black hole them, instead of wasting multiple weapons trying to hack their health down

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Regy Rusty posted:

What about Lynels

What I'm saying is gently caress Lynels
I fought the Lynel at the base of Mount Lanayru and he couldn't even damage me more than a quarter heart at a time.

Somewhere along the line I became badass enough to stomp normal Lynels into the ground with minimal effort. It's a good feeling.

By the way the whole surprise event at the top of Mount Lanayru was fantastic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think so, just like the dungeon abilities you get that have multiple uses won't recharge unless you've spent all of them. It's dumb.

I really wish those things would recharge their uses individually, same for the Master Sword. Sometimes I'm running around with one use of Revali's Gale left and I just use it for no reason so it can recharge by the time I actually want it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I can't wait for Breath of the Metroid

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Samus is Zelda. The chozo are shiekah. Phazon is Ganon. Link is THE BABY.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

...oh god what if Nintendo did for Metroid what they just did for Zelda

It's a beautiful dream that I will not allow myself to indulge in because it'll only break my heart.

Edit: Though, really, it's not that comparable. Metroid never really changed all that much, with the exception of those weird Hunters/Federation Force spin-offs, and it's not like Zelda hasn't had weird, bad spin-offs. Metroid had one very big stumble with Other M but prior to that it remained the exploration-focused, atmospheric series it was from the start. So I guess what I mean is not so much that I want Metroid to "go back to its roots" or something, but that I just want it to, y'know... come back.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 14, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

I really wish those things would recharge their uses individually, same for the Master Sword. Sometimes I'm running around with one use of Revali's Gale left and I just use it for no reason so it can recharge by the time I actually want it.

that but for all of them

bomb yourself, shock the keese, you know you're going to want 3 charges for that lynel

Harrow posted:

It's a beautiful dream that I will not allow myself to indulge in because it'll only break my heart.

a metroid where you don't lose all your abilities after the intro tutorial? dream on man

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Harrow posted:

It'd be pretty hard to do though since Metroid's whole Thing is gating areas off behind doors/obstacles that require specific powerups.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lemming posted:

I can't wait for Breath of the Metroid

Sorry everyone, it's obviously a Komayto.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It'd be pretty hard to do though since Metroid's whole Thing is gating areas off behind doors/obstacles that require specific powerups.

on the one hand yes, on the other hand that was The Thing with Zelda's overworld too and it's gone without just fine, as has just been proven

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unrelated: I really want to see more videos like this because I never thought a Zelda game would give rise to videos of people just showing off really stylish ways of owning bosses and tough enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Or88ErrwGY

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, now that I thought about it some more, it's less that I want them to do some sort of big, open-world Metroid and more that I just want a real Metroid game again. It can be side-scrolling or Prime-style first-person, I'm not picky. Just wash away the stain of Other M and Federation Force and bring back real Metroid and I'll be thrilled. It doesn't really need reinvention the way I think Zelda was yearning for.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 14, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm looking forward to a picture guide of all the recipes in Breath of the Wild, but am enjoying just throwing whatever I can think of into the pot to see what it makes. It's pretty forgiving and there's lots of clues about what works with what. (mixing this or that with monster parts nets you elixirs, baked right into the item description, for example) I just have to remember to write down some of my favorite recipes so I don't waste as many materials.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spellman posted:

I'm looking forward to a picture guide of all the recipes in Breath of the Wild, but am enjoying just throwing whatever I can think of into the pot to see what it makes. It's pretty forgiving and there's lots of clues about what works with what. (mixing this or that with monster parts nets you elixirs, baked right into the item description, for example) I just have to remember to write down some of my favorite recipes so I don't waste as many materials.

Really, the most important things to remember are:
  • You can only have one special effect per recipe. Adding multiple will make them cancel out. Sadly, no Hearty + Enduring food, for example.
  • Adding multiple of an ingredient that has a special effect increases the magnitude of that effect. For example, every Hearty Durian is +4 temporary hearts. That means cooking three Hearty Durians in a recipe will always give you 12 temporary hearts (at minimum, you can get more if you get a "critical success" with the little xylophone melody).
  • You can force a critical success by cooking with a Star Fragment or dragon part, or cooking during a Blood Moon.
The guide actually has the picture guide of recipes that you're looking for, though, if you want to learn how to make fancy things. You can make fancy food by combining multiple ingredients, but the way to make the most useful food is ultimately pretty utilitarian. The fancier recipes are all good in that they heal more hearts (or have stronger special effects) than less-fancy food cooked with the same ingredients, but because Hearty food always restores full hearts and Enduring food always restores full stamina, the difference between a recipe that heals 10 hearts and one that heals 12 hearts kinda disappears.

(Incidentally, I think you should be able to add temporary hearts or stamina without fully restoring it, so that fancy recipes that restore lots of hearts or stamina have more value. I'd love it if they patched that in or, if nothing else, made it part of Hard Mode.)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

• You can only have one special effect per recipe. Adding multiple will make them cancel out. Sadly, no Hearty + Enduring food, for example.
  • Adding multiple of an ingredient that has a special effect increases the magnitude of that effect. For example, every Hearty Durian is +4 temporary hearts. That means cooking three Hearty Durians in a recipe will always give you 12 temporary hearts (at minimum, you can get more if you get a "critical success" with the little xylophone melody).

The guide actually has the picture guide of recipes that you're looking for, though, if you want to learn how to make fancy things. You can make fancy food by combining multiple ingredients, but the way to make the most useful food is ultimately pretty utilitarian.

Yea, it seems that way. And I'm actually impressed with how this game gives out little clues here and there about some of the more complex recipes. I bet if I wrote them all down along the way, I'd have a pretty big list of options to make stuff. I've mostly noticed the point about the status effects, it's very intuitive. I do have the Android app Chef of the Wild which is not bad but needs a lot of work

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless i need a specific effect, I just do prime meat and a radish to get full hearts and some extras.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spellman posted:

Yea, it seems that way. And I'm actually impressed with how this game gives out little clues here and there about some of the more complex recipes. I bet if I wrote them all down along the way, I'd have a pretty big list of options to make stuff. I've mostly noticed the point about the status effects, it's very intuitive. I do have the Android app Chef of the Wild which is not bad but needs a lot of work

Hah, I didn't even know that app existed. Nice.

There are a few quests out there that teach you recipes, too, which I love. Like there's a guy who wants Goron Spice and he teaches you how to use it to make curry. Or the little Rito girl who really, really wants some salmon meuniere, which also teaches you how to make that for yourself in the future. It's good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what the gently caress do i do against the waterblight's laser

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the utility of extra hearts goes down as you play the game. You're capped at 30 real+temp hearts ao by endgame cooking 1 hearty anything basically maxes you out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kurtofan posted:

what the gently caress do i do against the waterblight's laser

shield parry will reflect it, or you can use Cryonis to summon a wall to block it!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

• You can force a critical success by cooking with a Star Fragment or dragon part, or cooking during a Blood Moon.
The guide actually has the picture guide of recipes that you're looking for, though, if you want to learn how to make fancy things. You can make fancy food by combining multiple ingredients, but the way to make the most useful food is ultimately pretty utilitarian. The fancier recipes are all good in that they heal more hearts (or have stronger special effects) than less-fancy food cooked with the same ingredients, but because Hearty food always restores full hearts and Enduring food always restores full stamina, the difference between a recipe that heals 10 hearts and one that heals 12 hearts kinda disappears.

(Incidentally, I think you should be able to add temporary hearts or stamina without fully restoring it, so that fancy recipes that restore lots of hearts or stamina have more value. I'd love it if they patched that in or, if nothing else, made it part of Hard Mode.)

From my own limited experimentation:

For elixirs: Horns < "other parts" < Guts for effect duration, but the type doesn't matter so there's no difference between using Bokoblin guts vs Lynel guts in elixirs

Effect potency caps out at 4 items for both elixirs and cooking for buffs that can stack 3 times, and 3 items for buffs that stack to 2. So using 5 sunshrooms or 5 bananas is a waste and you're better off using 3/4 and some seasoning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Unless i need a specific effect, I just do prime meat and a radish to get full hearts and some extras.

I'm cooking a lot of Hearty Durians now because they're really easy to get in large quantities, but yeah, that's basically all you need. I know all I have to do is cook one durian per recipe to get a full heal + temporary hearts, but I can't deny that cooking three of 'em for 12 friggin' temporary hearts is pretty satisfying.

EDIT: And yeah, you're capped at 30 hearts, so once you start getting more real hearts, you can start stepping down how many hearty ingredients you want in each dish.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DoctorWhat posted:

shield parry will reflect it, or you can use Cryonis to summon a wall to block it!

Oh man, don't tell that second part to anyone who rages about the boss in the future about dying unfairly to it during the final phase. I think they'd break down if they knew they could have done that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

There's a lot of stuff like that in the game that would improve it's QOL, but don't really ruin the experience at all, it's all niggling little stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HAHAHAHAHA!

I am now the king of Guardian Riposte. Now going through Castle Town with a pot lid and just wrecking town.
Only issue is that my Goron shield power automatically ripostes before I can with my shield, wasting charges.

The best was getting a double shot off a stationary and a flying guardian.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

HAHAHAHAHA!

I am now the king of Guardian Riposte. Now going through Castle Town with a pot lid and just wrecking town.
Only issue is that my Goron shield power automatically ripostes before I can with my shield, wasting charges.

The best was getting a double shot off a stationary and a flying guardian.

It actually doesn't usually unless you're missing the timing (for the most part). You can, as I found out recently though, go into your inventory and deactivate the goron shield entirely until you actually need it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Rito area/dungeon/story is all pretty weak in comparison to the other ones.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a lot of stuff like that in the game that would improve it's QOL, but don't really ruin the experience at all, it's all niggling little stuff.

Yeah, agreed. I'd also love item quickslots, but the game isn't, like, broken without them.

I'm thinking it could just be mapped to d-pad down like it is now. Tap down on the d-pad to use your selected item, or hold down on the d-pad to cycle through items the same way you do weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and runes. Maybe let people use items from that as well by highlighting something and pressing A so you can still quickly use something that isn't your selected quick item. They'd need to have some way for you to flag items to go in your quick select menu because obviously cycling through every consumable item in your inventory that way wouldn't be practical, but that seems doable.

Something to consider if the next Zelda game continues to have such an expansive amount of usable items, I think.

Harlock posted:

Yeah, the Rito part seems really phoned in. I don't really understand why, either. There was a lot of room for cool stuff there but everything about it seems to imply they forgot Vah Medoh needed some sort of story build-up and threw it together as quickly as possible. It's a bummer, too, because I really like the Rito and I wish there could've been more there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 14, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

It really is! At least Kass's stuff went a long way towards redeeming the Rito for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This info on the cooking is good stuff. I did a little experimentation on my own, but didn't get much farther than "chuck 5 of one kind into a pot".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I am bad at parrying and it's hurting my attempts to finish off Calamity Ganon. Does anybody want to give me the rundown on correctly parrying the Guardian laser?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

Yeah, agreed. I'd also love item quickslots, but the game isn't, like, broken without them.

I'm thinking it could just be mapped to d-pad down like it is now. Tap down on the d-pad to use your selected item, or hold down on the d-pad to cycle through items the same way you do weapons, shields, bows, arrows, and runes. Maybe let people use items from that as well by highlighting something and pressing A so you can still quickly use something that isn't your selected quick item. They'd need to have some way for you to flag items to go in your quick select menu because obviously cycling through every consumable item in your inventory that way wouldn't be practical, but that seems doable.

Something to consider if the next Zelda game continues to have such an expansive amount of usable items, I think.

Those are some good ideas a "double-tap" to unequip would be nice for Lightning Storms, also, when you're holding the button why the hell did they make it a single row lay-out instead of just a grid layout like you have on the inventory screen? It'd be so much easy to shuffle through your equipment that way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Those are some good ideas a "double-tap" to unequip would be nice for Lightning Storms, also, when you're holding the button why the hell did they make it a single row lay-out instead of just a grid layout like you have on the inventory screen? It'd be so much easy to shuffle through your equipment that way.

Breath of the Wild is a game that might've benefited from Destiny's approach to grid menus: you don't navigate by moving from box to box, but by using the thumbstick to move a cursor around like a mouse cursor. It'd mean if you want to get to an item in the bottom-right of the grid, you don't have to tap down multiple times and then to the right multiple times, but just move the cursor diagonally across to the thing you want.

Better categorization in the menu would've been really nice, too, but honestly the inventory is far from the worst I've seen as it is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Breath of the Wild is a game that might've benefited from Destiny's approach to grid menus: you don't navigate by moving from box to box, but by using the thumbstick to move a cursor around like a mouse cursor. It'd mean if you want to get to an item in the bottom-right of the grid, you don't have to tap down multiple times and then to the right multiple times, but just move the cursor diagonally across to the thing you want.

Better categorization in the menu would've been really nice, too, but honestly the inventory is far from the worst I've seen as it is.

Bring back Metroid Prime 2's sphere-nub selection system IMO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also: how about holding on the d-pad to bring up weapon/shield/etc. selection opens up a wheel menu instead of a line or a grid? It might limit you a little bit on the maximum size of each of those inventories, maybe, just because there's only so much precision you can expect, but it'd also mean every single item in your weapon inventory (for example) is exactly as many button-presses or stick-movements away as any other item.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
That Tiny VIllage featured in the videos Nintendo posted today would have been weird.

Like every town needs a pot to cook food with and stuff. If you didn't shrink down would it have been like, really tiny food that only heals 1/4 of a heart?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Harlock posted:

This was pretty disappointing because I LOVE the rito's design. Getting to Rito Village isn't nearly as much of a journey as getting to, say, Goron City or Zora's Domain, either.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That Tiny VIllage featured in the videos Nintendo posted today would have been weird.

Like every town needs a pot to cook food with and stuff. If you didn't shrink down would it have been like, really tiny food that only heals 1/4 of a heart?

Doesn't stop people from doing it IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCJFHU3LIo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sade posted:

This was pretty disappointing because I LOVE the rito's design. Getting to Rito Village isn't nearly as much of a journey as getting to, say, Goron City or Zora's Domain, either.
I was just climbing poo poo and ended up there without knowing