Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I know next-to-nothing about hitting but that swing looks extremely awkward to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

I know next-to-nothing about hitting but that swing looks extremely awkward to me.

He puts too much weight on his back foot, he throws his hands and arms out making for a long, loopy swing rather than a tight, compact one that you see pros have.

So in other words, it's just like his form when he was a QB.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

seiferguy posted:

He puts too much weight on his back foot

Can you explain this part to me? I've boxed and this is counter-intuitive to me because a punch is way more powerful if you "sit down" on it to drive with your back leg and get a lot of rotation going. Is it that his ready stance is too on the back leg so it's hard for him to poo poo onto it and begin the drive during his swing?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

cis autodrag posted:

Can you explain this part to me? I've boxed and this is counter-intuitive to me because a punch is way more powerful if you "sit down" on it to drive with your back leg and get a lot of rotation going. Is it that his ready stance is too on the back leg so it's hard for him to poo poo onto it and begin the drive during his swing?

It's not that he's starting off too far back necessarily. You know that thing where you drive with the back leg? That's what he's not doing, there's no shifting his weight to put his body into the swing, it's all arms.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

You want to have all your momentum pushing forward, like a golf swing. If it's on the back foot you just sapped all your power and your hips are doing nothing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rand alPaul posted:

You want to have all your momentum pushing forward, like a golf swing. If it's on the back foot you just sapped all your power and your hips are doing nothing.

OK gotcha. You still want to drive with the back leg, but he's starting with all his weight on it so he can't do that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's all in the hips.

You need some sort of weight shift to generate any kind of power, it generally looks like a gentle rocking motion back and forward. He looks very uncomfortable in that stance as he has all his weight back and never comes forward with it so his arms are doing all the work and he's just reaching out at the pitch. This is probably because he is having trouble catching up to major league fastballs well also being able to wait back on an offspeed pitch. So instead of striding forward and being late he's just waiting back and using only his arms to make weak contact (but at least contact). He ain't gonna get anywhere with that kind of swing.

SIDENOTE: If anyone is interested this is an awesome article I found awhile back and was the first I had ever heard of rotational hitting which is to say how baseball players swing. It really shows how so many cues that coaches tell kids and even adults is just garbage that's been regurgitated for decades because no one bothered to review what real hitters did.

http://www.efastball.com/hitting/major-league-baseball-swing-rotational-hitting/

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 13, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

Oh I'd say he's poo poo all over it :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Manny is going to play in Japan?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/841484723553742848

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Japanese independent leagues even.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

elentar posted:

Tebow got a hit.

Another stain on the Marlins organization.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Manny never needs to get into the HoF because he'll just play forever, eventually barnstorming as an 80 year old man

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I'd play just for the unlimited sushi

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bawfuls posted:

Manny never needs to get into the HoF because he'll just play forever, eventually barnstorming as an 80 year old man
Worked for Satchel Paige

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
There Is Always More And It Will Never Die

https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/841680377689313281

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Barnstorming needs to make a comeback in the US.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember when some of us thought the Rockies were the dark horse to make a wild card game? Those were some times...

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Inspector_666 posted:

Barnstorming needs to make a comeback in the US.

Truer words were never spoken.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I popped in just to see if anyone was talking about Odor's bat flip :v: so allow me to be the one to broach that subject here.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I popped in just to see if anyone was talking about Odor's bat flip :v: so allow me to be the one to broach that subject here.

The flip was excellent. It's too bad he isn't very bright. I can't wait to see Jays fans frame a screen capture of that and bring it to Rangers-Jays games.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I mean, that might be me. I feel like he's probably the last dude in baseball who gets to flip bats now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Odor punched Bautista because he slid into his leg, not because he flipped a bat

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

Remember when some of us thought the Rockies were the dark horse to make a wild card game? Those were some times...

I don't think losing their 4th or 5th best starter and a couple months of Ian Desmond changes that much, TBH. I still have Colorado as the 3rd best team in the West. If Gray and/or Hoffman take a step forward I think they're right there with the Mets and Cards for a WC spot.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Poque posted:

Odor punched Bautista because he slid into his leg, not because he flipped a bat

If you're telling me that he wasn't pent up over it and didn't used that an excuse to lash out then he's an even bigger baby than I was previously implying.

In any case, I just remembered that it was Ventura, not Odor, that blew up over the flip so I'll just drop this topic out of respect for the dead...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think losing their 4th or 5th best starter and a couple months of Ian Desmond changes that much, TBH. I still have Colorado as the 3rd best team in the West. If Gray and/or Hoffman take a step forward I think they're right there with the Mets and Cards for a WC spot.

Tom Murphy broke his forearm. It's only going to keep him out 4-6 weeks but you have to worry how arm injuries can linger with hitters.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

Tebow got a hit.

@MLB has mentioned Tebow as much as Trout this month. I think it was both 9 times as of last night.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Zigmidge posted:

I mean, that might be me. I feel like he's probably the last dude in baseball who gets to flip bats now.

Nah he just needs to calmly stand on second while every one of the Jays punch him in the face

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

Tom Murphy broke his forearm. It's only going to keep him out 4-6 weeks but you have to worry how arm injuries can linger with hitters.

Yikes, hadn't heard that. Still, they were probably going to platoon him and Wolters anyway. And I just saw that the Rox expect Desmond back in ~6 weeks too.

I see a lot of people hating on the Desmond signing because there were cheaper first basemen available. That misses the point though, he gives them flexibility, like he could switch to OF if CarGo walks or is traded.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Desmond owns. I still don't understand why the gently caress you'd sign him to play first base.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Japan leagues own, more contracts need unlimited sushi clauses

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zigmidge posted:

If you're telling me that he wasn't pent up over it and didn't used that an excuse to lash out then he's an even bigger baby than I was previously implying.

In any case, I just remembered that it was Ventura, not Odor, that blew up over the flip so I'll just drop this topic out of respect for the dead...

It was dyson that had issue with the flip. Then next season someone threw at bautista in retaliation (was that ventura?) and then joey slid hard into second in subsequent retaliation. It was odor that had lots to say to the press about the batflip after the fact though

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bautista was on base because Matt Bush threw at and hit him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You'd think after spending all that time in prison after drunkenly running over an old man, Bush would be a little more careful about hitting people.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Man, I'd really have to rethink "Fighting Dogs" as a name for my baseball team if I was running that organization.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tom Gorman posted:

Man, I'd really have to rethink "Fighting Dogs" as a name for my baseball team if I was running that organization.

I was wondering if maybe dog fighting wasn't a cultural thing in Japan and it might just be like us calling a team the Bulldogs but noooope.

wiki posted:

Dog fighting evolved in Kōchi to a form that is called tōken (闘犬?). Under modern rules, dogs fight in a fenced ring until one of the dogs barks, yelps, or loses the will to fight. Owners are allowed to throw in the towel, and matches are stopped if a doctor judges if is too dangerous. Draws usually occur when both dogs will not fight or both dogs fight until the time limit. There are various other rules, including one that specifies that a dog will lose if it attempts to copulate. Champion dogs are called yokozuna, as in sumo. Dog fighting is not banned at a nationwide level, but the prefectures of Tokyo, Kanagawa, Fukui, Ishikawa, Toyama and Hokkaidō all ban the practice.[22] Currently, most fighting dogs in Japan are of the Tosa breed which is native to Kōchi.

Just proud of their dogfighting heritage and it's still going on today. It does seem at least slightly closer to humane than what we think of it as in the states I guess.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 14, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

I was wondering if maybe dog fighting wasn't a cultural thing in Japan and it might just be like us calling a team the Bulldogs but noooope.

Just proud of their dogfighting heritage and it's still going on today. It does seem at least slightly closer to humane than what we think of it as in the states at least I guess.

If barking or yelping lost you the fight my pitbull would lose every match before he even got into the ring. He just gets so drat excited when he sees new friends to play with.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

An hour before the seventh game of the World Series, Rizzo stripped off all his clothes, cranked the theme from Rocky on the clubhouse stereo one more time, jumped on top of a coffee table and began quoting lines from the movie and throwing his best shadow-boxing punches. Pitcher Héctor Rondon, joining in on the hijinks, picked up an aerosol can of shoe cleaner and sprayed it in the direction of Rizzo’s groin.

Startled and angered, Rizzo stopped and yelled, “What the heck, man!” He cut the music and stormed off toward the showers to clean off the spray.

“I’m thinking, Dang, what’s he doing?” Ross said. “We can’t have this negative vibe right before the game. I go by there. I can tell he’s a little irritated.”

Ten minutes went by. Rizzo finally emerged from the shower. He walked back silently to his locker with a towel around this waist. The room was quiet and uneasy.

Ross walked up to Rizzo and broke the silence.

“Hey! It’s not how many times you get knocked down … it’s how many times you get up!”

Rizzo chuckled. “You know what?” he said. “You’re right!”

Said Ross, “He rips the towel off, runs up, turns the music on again, and he jumps back on the coffee table and starts doing the Rocky motions again.”

Now, as Schwarber got ready to hit, Ross turned in Rizzo’s direction and yelled at him, “Hey, it’s not how many times you get knocked down….”

On cue Rizzo completed the battle cry, yelling back, “It’s how many times you get back up!”

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

"It's how many times you get knocked up!"

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

The Walrus posted:

It was dyson that had issue with the flip. Then next season someone threw at bautista in retaliation (was that ventura?) and then joey slid hard into second in subsequent retaliation. It was odor that had lots to say to the press about the batflip after the fact though

Ventura played on the Royals, not the Rangers. I don't remember him ever talking about the bat flip. I vaguely remember a kerfuffle between him and the Jays for hitting batters but I don't remember when or why that was or if its a false memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Ventura played on the Royals, not the Rangers. I don't remember him ever talking about the bat flip. I vaguely remember a kerfuffle between him and the Jays for hitting batters but I don't remember when or why that was or if its a false memory

For whatever reason the Royals loved throwing at Josh Donaldson a lot more than Bautista, including Kelvin Herrera flat out throwing at his head. I think that was Edinson Volquez as the starter and not Ventura in that particular game, although maybe Ventura was involved in a different Jays/Royals thing.

If I remember right that was kinda early in the season and there were several beefs with other teams. They (the Royals) mostly settled down after that but they spent the first month or two of the season being really dumb about throwing at people/taking revenge if someone got hit.

e: poo poo it was Brett Lawrie with the A's where Herrera blatantly threw at his head.

He did hit Josh Donaldson in the head once but it was a change up that got away from him and not part of an ongoing thing.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread