Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen British tangerines, or bananas, or basically any kind of fruit that isn't strawberries/blueberries/raspberries/apples/pears.
I do buy mostly British things outside of that (and cheese, of course), though. Definitely 100% British meat/fish, and beer.
Don't worry Her Maj's government is going to take the very important step to vote for UK-grown and pressed orange juice to be served at all its embassy breakfasts and we'll get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

jfc did anyone post this already?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/nicola-sturgeon-liar-traitor-head/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

I just bolded all the 'Scottish stereotype' phrases out oh so witty journalist thinks she's so witty by using

It's the Telegraph so unless you're put off by the lack of calls for paup genocide I'm not sure what's surprising about that article.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen British tangerines, or bananas, or basically any kind of fruit that isn't strawberries/blueberries/raspberries/apples/pears.
I do buy mostly British things outside of that (and cheese, of course), though. Definitely 100% British meat/fish, and beer.

not seen many british kiwi fruits or pineapples either

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's the Telegraph so unless you're put off by the lack of calls for paup genocide I'm not sure what's surprising about that article.

They usually go for a classier, more erudite brand of bigotry. They seem to be forgetting they're not the Mail here.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JFairfax posted:

Spanish tangerines are loving delicious, if you stop selling those I'm moving out right then and there

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

ThomasPaine posted:

jfc did anyone post this already?

I just bolded all the 'Scottish stereotype' phrases out oh so witty journalist thinks she's so witty by using

Allison Pearson. Quelle Suprise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paxman posted:

A "Buy British" button could allow online shoppers to filter out filthy foreign groceries as we take back control from European cucumbers.
Idiot nationalism aside, I do think that becoming more self-sufficient in food is overall a good thing, whether that's at the national, regional, commune, or household level.

Maybe a positive outcome of a descent into hermit kingdomry will be the growth of community aquaponics ventures and vinylon plants.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
In case you guys were wondering whether it was really Corbyn's fault or it's just a bad time for anyone who isn't a fascist, here in the USA our leftist insurgency attempt has been successfully squashed by the corporatist centrists and they have still managed to prove themselves significantly less popular than Trump. In the face of the most unpopular leader of the other party of all time and absolutely no third party opposition, they are still quickly descending to UK labour polling numbers, because everyone has decided they'd just rather check out of politics completely than support the Dems. They are literally polling at the lowest they have in like a century, somewhere in the low 30s and still sinking. It's pretty funny.

Just in case anyone was wondering what was going on across the pond where the Corbyn-style takeover failed.

So, how has it been going in the UK? I have been having trouble keeping up with the stupid poo poo in my own country and genuinely miss following along with this thread. I hear Scotland is gonna give the indie thing another go?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Why eat a tangerine when you can eat a good british marrow

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

So, how has it been going in the UK?
It's kinda poo poo, cheers for asking

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

They usually go for a classier, more erudite brand of bigotry. They seem to be forgetting they're not the Mail here.

Isn't she primarily a columnist for the Mail?

There's a reason Private Eye like to call it the Maily Telegraph these days.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to follow pissflaps on twitter

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Surprised to see people were actually arguing about the pros/cons of trying to delay Brexit.

The Lib Dems are well aware their strategy of opposing Brexit has a sell-by date. Once we've triggered Article 50 their position instantly starts to weaken until the day we actually leave the EU and it becomes totally irrelevant. Delaying Brexit almost certainly wouldn't benefit the country, but it would benefit the Lib Dems.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/politicsasvines/status/841784162629648384

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Namtab posted:

I'm going to follow pissflaps on twitter

Rock bottom.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

This is due to BARMY BRUSSELS legislation that puts strict limits on the amount of sunlight we're allowed. Theresa May is going to negotiate us a much better climate post-Brexit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

So, how has it been going in the UK?

Today work announced they're shutting our centre down, shoving me somewhere that'll up my transport costs by six hundred quid a year and a bunch of other people are losing their job, so I nicked a load of shelving for my room.

Otherwise I just stare out the window looking at the crows wandering about eating discarded pasties and wondering how my life turned out to be less fulfilling.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In the political irony to end all political ironies, Labour has attacked the Lib Dems for "endorsing the Tories' reckless approach to Brexit".

You know, the approach that Jeremy Corbyn literally imposed a three line whip on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah it's surprising that anyone bothers to comment on what the Lib Dems are doing at all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Well, Labour have to try to keep a hold of their Remain-leaning voters after royally loving them on a scale not seen since the Lib Dems on tuition fees.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GlyphGryph posted:

In case you guys were wondering whether it was really Corbyn's fault or it's just a bad time for anyone who isn't a fascist, here in the USA our leftist insurgency attempt has been successfully squashed by the corporatist centrists and they have still managed to prove themselves significantly less popular than Trump. In the face of the most unpopular leader of the other party of all time and absolutely no third party opposition, they are still quickly descending to UK labour polling numbers, because everyone has decided they'd just rather check out of politics completely than support the Dems. They are literally polling at the lowest they have in like a century, somewhere in the low 30s and still sinking. It's pretty funny.

Just in case anyone was wondering what was going on across the pond where the Corbyn-style takeover failed.

So, how has it been going in the UK? I have been having trouble keeping up with the stupid poo poo in my own country and genuinely miss following along with this thread. I hear Scotland is gonna give the indie thing another go?

Why do I think this is total bullshit?

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Reminder the man reason that Farage lost in Thanet south was that he never showed up to any of the campaign events that were scheduled for him and when he did he was woefully uninformed about local issues and turned his base against him, to the point the UKIP county counsellors started to actively distance themselves from him. Things came to a head when he didn't show up to one event claiming to be ill, and then appeared that same night on the BBC.

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure the Al-Zebab nation of Ooog are the reason Farage lost. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnC9KjibiFY

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fangz posted:

Why do I think this is total bullshit?

The only poll out for the 2020 presidential has Generic Dem winning by eight percent… and Warren losing by seven.

Generic Dem and Generic Rep are within the margin of error in the 2018 Congressional polling.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

Well, Labour have to try to keep a hold of their Remain-leaning voters after royally loving them on a scale not seen since the Lib Dems on tuition fees.

Upside is that Labour still has voters to lose

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

You do realise that Labour are the opposition while the Lib Dems actually hosed people over in government, right?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

TinTower posted:

The only poll out for the 2020 presidential has Generic Dem winning by eight percent… and Warren losing by seven.

Generic Dem and Generic Rep are within the margin of error in the 2018 Congressional polling.

So, basically nothing like 'Labour is 18 points behind the tories'.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

jabby posted:

You do realise that Labour are the opposition

It's pretty easy to forget lately to be honest.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

BillBear posted:

It's pretty easy to forget lately to be honest.

Yeah, to be honest they're acting like a top-up on the government's majority.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

TinTower posted:

Good job the Lib Dems have never enabled a Tory government!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

Whereas the Lib Dems are so committed to opposing Brexit only seven out of their nine MPs voted against it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All two of the big parties and the Lib Dems are pretty bad at the moment. Labour is the only one of the three that I see as having potential to improve though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

Whereas the Lib Dems are so committed to opposing Brexit only seven out of their nine MPs voted against it.

That's three times as many as the proportion of Labour MPs who voted against it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

That's three times as many as the proportion of Labour MPs who voted against it.

It's great that the Lib Dems are at least pretending to stand on principle, but they kind of give the game away by incessantly blaming Labour for everything rather than the party in power. This is a short term grab for votes that will morph into a totally different position by the end of negotiations. I'm guessing that position will be 'vote for us and we'll totally moderate the Tories like we did last time!'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jabby posted:

It's great that the Lib Dems are at least pretending to stand on principle, but they kind of give the game away by incessantly blaming Labour for everything rather than the party in power. This is a short term grab for votes that will morph into a totally different position by the end of negotiations. I'm guessing that position will be 'vote for us and we'll totally moderate the Tories like we did last time!'

Dude, you're the one who insists on making a critique of Labour be about whether they are better than the lib dems.

Lib dem/third party strategy is pretty obvious. Lotta floating Labour remain voters. Tory voters are mostly happy with what they are getting. What do you expect them to do here, praise Corbyn's leadership?

'Vote for us and we'll totally moderate the Tories like we did last time' is pretty much their current position and will continue to be their position as long as Labour are no-hopers. What else can a third party promise?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Dude, you're the one who insists on making a critique of Labour be about whether they are better than the lib dems.

TinTower posted:

However much you disagree with Labour's stance on the referendum result, nothing they can possibly do in opposition comes close to what the Lib Dems did while in power.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Generic X vs an actual candidate polls are bullshit though cos that generic X could be all things to all people.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Generic X vs an actual candidate polls are bullshit though cos that generic X could be all things to all people.

Yes. The point is that there isn't really any US polling that is comparable to UK voting intention polling.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fangz posted:

Yes. The point is that there isn't really any US polling that is comparable to UK voting intention polling.

true but opinion polling have them at a net favorability of around -15, which isn't as bad as Corbyn but still somehow worse than Trump, which is insane. Favorability polls have done well at predicting the results of elections where voter intention has failed (see Ed Miliband) but it's early days yet.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Who the gently caress in the US doesn't think Trump's a shambles? :psyduck:

I mean I'm gonna assume there's like 15-20% who're just die-hard MAGA fans who're never going to believe trump's anything but perfect and 15-20% who're so republican they'll vote for toast if it's got the right lapel, but surely literally everyone else should be :stonklol: about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Oh they think Trump is a shambles. His ratings are the lowest for any sitting President. They just think that the establishment, neo-liberal Democratic party are even more of a shambles. Which they are.

• Locked thread