Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bandire posted:

Sync2 is dead and cars that came with it will not be upgraded to Sync3 unfortunately. Ford started a phased rollout with some (one?) 2015 models, and now finally I think all 2017 models with the full infotainment system are sync3 hardware/software.

Its one of the factors that made me wait for the 2016 Mustang model year, as stupid as that sounds. Having Google Maps on your center console is so much better than any in-house option.
Sync3 was a bit reason I waited for my 2016 'Stang as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pending the future Career situation coming for me in April, I am tossing the idea around of getting a ATS or 2018 Stang to replace my trusty yet aging 01 GT for the work commute. The ATS's Infotainment (in the 2014 that I drove) was a complain point in a lot of reviews, but It worked within just a few button presses with my 6P and I hear the new stuff is fully Android Auto compliant. The Mustang I don't have to worry about post 2016 by the looks of it.

The main thing I am looking for in either cars, is that 6Spd Manual. The 2.0T ATS with a 6spd is a diamond in the rough. The Mustang though isn't a problem to find. Guess we will see in a few months.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Don't know much about the infotainment stuff but direct injection on the 2018 GT should be pretty nice.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My Nexus 6P was getting hard hosed and I thought it was something or other but it was actually the Turbo AIDS infected Tile app doing its "repair bluetooth" that broke not only my Pebble but also lead to incredible battery drain etc. I turned off the "Repair Bluetooth Connection" setting and now my phone is back to its old self, lasting 2 days on a charge etc.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Still no bastard Assistant. Are there any restrictions that might stop you getting it? Is it only certain languages? I'm on UK English, does that make a difference?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think they are doing Americans first.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Re/code found that Google’s mobile messaging app Allo can reveal your search history and other personal information when you include the Google Assistant bot in chats. Associate editor Tess Townsend made the discovery during an Allo chat with a friend.

My friend directed Assistant to identify itself. Instead of offering a name or a pithy retort, it responded witha link from Harry Potter fan website Pottermore. The link led to an extract from “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” the fifth book in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. But the response was not merely a non sequitur. It was a result related to previoussearches my friend said he had done a few days earlier.

And search history isn’t the only private data the Assistant can reveal to anyone you chat with …

When I asked “What is my job?” in my conversation with my friend, Assistant responded by sharing a Google Maps image showing the address at which I used to work — the address of a co-working space, not the publicly listed address of my previous employer. Google had the address on file because I had included it in my personal Google Maps settings. It did not ask my permission to share that.

Google Assistant is supposed to check with you before sharing personal information during an Allo chat, but as Townsend noted, this safeguard doesn’t always work.

At the time of writing, Google had not yet responded to Re/code‘s request for comment.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Re/code found that Google’s mobile messaging app Allo can reveal your search history and other personal information when you include the Google Assistant bot in chats. Associate editor Tess Townsend made the discovery during an Allo chat with a friend.

My friend directed Assistant to identify itself. Instead of offering a name or a pithy retort, it responded witha link from Harry Potter fan website Pottermore. The link led to an extract from “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” the fifth book in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. But the response was not merely a non sequitur. It was a result related to previoussearches my friend said he had done a few days earlier.

And search history isn’t the only private data the Assistant can reveal to anyone you chat with …

When I asked “What is my job?” in my conversation with my friend, Assistant responded by sharing a Google Maps image showing the address at which I used to work — the address of a co-working space, not the publicly listed address of my previous employer. Google had the address on file because I had included it in my personal Google Maps settings. It did not ask my permission to share that.

Google Assistant is supposed to check with you before sharing personal information during an Allo chat, but as Townsend noted, this safeguard doesn’t always work.

At the time of writing, Google had not yet responded to Re/code‘s request for comment.

Yet another reason not to use Allo, I guess.

Google! Why gently caress everything up?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ok so it wasn't asking me anything when I plugged in the USB cable. So I tried another USB cable and it actually asked if I wanted to change that setting.

So I did and it will now play the Samsung song that came in the phone, but I can't get it to play Amazon Prime music at all, only that one preloaded song.

MTP will only play music files that are actually present on the phone's file system. Amazon Prime Music does not do this, thus as far as your car's radio is concerned, there are no files present to play. This is why it only plays the Samsuing sound, as that is the only actual media file on your phone.

You are better off just using bluetooth if your radio has it. Once you get Prime Music playing, you can skip forward/backwards with the controls on your radio and steering wheel controls (if present).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Google! Why gently caress everything up?

Why not?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blue Train posted:

Bluetooth can show the artist and album info so I'm pretty sure this is just ford being janky

Ford's Bluetooth is terrible. They had to lemon my car because they couldn't get it to work properly.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

calandryll posted:

What year is your Santa Fe? I'm guessing they rolled it out with the 2016. I'm wondering/wishing if there is a way to get it on my 2015.

Yeah, the hardware in yours probably doesn't support it even with a firmware update. Here is a list of cars that can be updated to allow android auto that otherwise didn't come with it updated from the dealer/factory.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundai/softwaredownload/androidauto

Of note the Genesis 2015/16 didn't have anything other than Hyundais infotainment setup. Also the 16 Sonata is hilarious because they offered Android Auto as an option for like $500 more or something and then just released the firmware update so anyone with one with compatible entertainment setup could do it free.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Don't know much about the infotainment stuff but direct injection on the 2018 GT should be pretty nice.

That is for sure.

Though if it is anything like the DI in the LNF in my Sky, 8 of those injectors are going to be clicky suckers.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Google Assistant can't even make a sandwich smh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You have to root for that

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

64bit_Dophins posted:

Google Assistant can't even make a sandwich smh

Your screenshot says otherwise :confused:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

You have to root for that

sudo make me a sandwich

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
drat it Google! When I say "OK Google, Play 'If I had a Million Dollars'", I want you to play "If I had a Million Dollars", not some other random song from Barenaked Ladies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

drat it Google! When I say "OK Google, Play 'If I had a Million Dollars'", I want you to play "If I had a Million Dollars", not some other random song from Barenaked Ladies.

Yeah, I can't even get it to play one of my named playlists. It does whatever the hell it wants.

Good song choice though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mazda announced they'll be supporting Android Auto, and a Mazda spokesperson hinted that they'll have an upgrade path for current Mazdas with Mazda Connect.

Phone posting so no link for you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

Mazda announced they'll be supporting Android Auto, and a Mazda spokesperson hinted that they'll have an upgrade path for current Mazdas with Mazda Connect.

Phone posting so no link for you.

Allow me bro:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/13/mazda-gearing-add-android-auto-carplay-vehicle-lineup/

quote:

Even though it seems like it's slowed down since launch, Android Auto has picked up another car manufacturer to add to its repertoire. The latest is Mazda, which announced that it will be bringing both Auto and CarPlay to its vehicle lineup. 

Mazda declined to give a timeline or to specify which of its vehicles would be the first to receive the smartphone mirroring services. While that is all fine and good for those who are in the market for a brand new car, the more interesting news is that Jacob Brown, a Mazda spokesperson, claims that both Android Auto and CarPlay "should be retroactively available on all Mazda Connect systems." He also said that "a potentially minimal hardware addition" would be needed.

For reference, Connect came out with the 2014 Mazda3 and is in a variety of models since then. Be sure to check if your car is included in that list before getting too excited. There is also no word on how much, if at all, this will cost owners. I somehow doubt the "potentially minimal hardware addition" will be a free upgrade, but perhaps I am just cynical.

Oh, and I think that David is the most excited person on the AP team about this. Just sayin'.

Source: Cars.com

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Hmmmm I have a six month old 3 so this is very interesting.

Gotta wonder what 'minimal hardware addition' will mean though, even buying updated maps after the free upgrades run out is horrific so I don't imagine it'll be cheap.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I can't even get it to play one of my named playlists. It does whatever the hell it wants.

Good song choice though

Are you guys using premium Google Play Music? Mines been ok at playing songs I request while on the 4 month premium trial.

Free though it was literally random change at something like the song I requested.

The other night though it did troll me kinda good. I wanted Tina Guo and it started playing a Tina Turner song, (don't remember which but it was a good one). As I was in the middle of asking Google to change it to what I originally wanted, I stopped mid sentence and just said "Nevermind" which Google took and started playing the Nevermind album of Nirvana.

Had to give Google that one as it picked two good songs in a row that were probably better than what I was looking for from a Twitter post earlier in the day.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EdEddnEddy posted:

Are you guys using premium Google Play Music?

I am.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Google being Google then.

Anyone using Spotify Premium and have any different results?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

Hmmmm I have a six month old 3 so this is very interesting.

Gotta wonder what 'minimal hardware addition' will mean though, even buying updated maps after the free upgrades run out is horrific so I don't imagine it'll be cheap.
Probably a different USB hub. That is what Ford needs to get carplay working with sync3. Because, for some reason, only some USB hubs are certified for carplay. :wtf: :confused:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Are you guys using premium Google Play Music? Mines been ok at playing songs I request while on the 4 month premium trial.
Premium?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Google being Google then.

Anyone using Spotify Premium and have any different results?

Saying ok Google play if I had million dollars plays the search results for "if I had a million dollars," which does not include barenaked ladies because that is titled "if I had $1,000,000." Saying ok Google play *playlist name* performs a search for that string, shows the playlist at the top of the results, and doesn't play it

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder how different it is using Assistant on a Phone vs Home.

I'll try tonight.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Premium?

Yep

After using it for around a month, I have to say I like it better than Groove music. Especially since Groove is still trying to catch up to what Zune Music had ages ago, and since it still has weird connectivity issues randomly that continues to piss me off at random times. Though the explorer function is getting better, it continues to always have crap music that I would never listen to as the Most Popular/Recommended for you playlist.

Spotify does this a little too but is better at making a correct random playlist based off actual past played music.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Probably a different USB hub. That is what Ford needs to get carplay working with sync3. Because, for some reason, only some USB hubs are certified for carplay. :wtf: :confused:
I would 100% bet that Apple requires the USB hub to supply enough power to use constant data and GPS and still charge.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Blue Train posted:

Saying ok Google play if I had million dollars plays the search results for "if I had a million dollars," which does not include barenaked ladies because that is titled "if I had $1,000,000." Saying ok Google play *playlist name* performs a search for that string, shows the playlist at the top of the results, and doesn't play it

When I say ok "Google play if I had million dollars", the transcription changes to "if I had $1,000,000" before it opens Play Music.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder how different it is using Assistant on a Phone vs Home.

I'll try tonight.

Be sure to mute your Home microphone first...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Endless Mike posted:

I would 100% bet that Apple requires the USB hub to supply enough power to use constant data and GPS and still charge.

Well that'll be a decent upgrade anyway, right now the Mazda USB ports seem to do ~1A which isn't much event for an iPhone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just got a refurbished Pixel to replace my original after I cracked the screen. First phone I broke ever. Anyway, the new one seems to have a cooler color temperature to the display. Seems a bit on the blue side compared to my old one. Haptic feedback is a little different too when typing.

Is this variation normal?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Endless Mike posted:

This. Several recent models of VW/Audi/Porsche had this same problem while getting certified for carplay. Current model USB hub didn't supply enough amps and needed a signal amplifier because Apple is really picky about connection quality. Android auto is likely similar.

Source: I worked on it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SB35 posted:

This. Several recent models of VW/Audi/Porsche had this same problem while getting certified for carplay. Current model USB hub didn't supply enough amps and needed a signal amplifier because Apple is really picky about connection quality. Android auto is likely similar.

Source: I worked on it

I have a 2016 Ford Edge. I just needed a software update for Android Auto, which works. I need a new USB hub to use Car Play.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

When I say ok "Google play if I had million dollars", the transcription changes to "if I had $1,000,000" before it opens Play Music.

It says this in assistant but switches when it goes to spotify

E: From $ to dollars

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Just got a refurbished Pixel to replace my original after I cracked the screen. First phone I broke ever. Anyway, the new one seems to have a cooler color temperature to the display. Seems a bit on the blue side compared to my old one. Haptic feedback is a little different too when typing.

Is this variation normal?

There's actually a setting in developer options that I think lets you change the color temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's actually a setting in developer options that I think lets you change the color temperature.

I wanna say this is a ROM thing and not there by default, also not in developer options