Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i can't really find a good stream that isn't tripping constantly so please update me with what's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

yeah throw around words like jihad and get mad when people throw around words like nazi

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkRqpBj7n4

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yesssssssssss

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm half-expecting a Max Headstrong incident here for some reason

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-got-a-big-break-on-2005-taxes-1458249902

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Get to the point lady Jesus gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

paywall, dawg

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

butros posted:

you must be new to my bae rachel maddow

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

butros posted:

rachael spends the first 15 min going around in a circle to her story. its nice. enjoy it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

butros posted:

This is going to end badly for all of us after Bannon's paranoia is legitimized

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

rachael spends the first 15 min going around in a circle to her story. its nice. enjoy it.

I'm out of booze, goddam "blizzard."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TBeats posted:

paywall, dawg

fuuuck

quote:

By RICHARD RUBIN
March 17, 2016 5:25 p.m. ET
137 COMMENTS

Donald Trump was able to deduct $39.1 million from his 2005 federal income taxes by pledging not to build houses on a New Jersey golf course he owns, according to public records.

An appraisal conducted for the 2005 transaction determined that Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J. was worth $49.5 million if it could be split into 33 estates, but just $10.4 million as a golf course. Tax law lets property owners impose permanent conservation restrictions and then claim charitable deductions for the reduction in value. Those restrictions curb what future owners may do with a property.

In 2005, according to the Internal Revenue Service, 2,186 taxpayers claimed so-called conservation easements for a total of $1.8 billion. That means Mr. Trump’s $39.1 million would have represented about 2% of all such deductions nationwide that year.

Mr. Trump, now the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, subsequently built a second golf course on the property, which once belonged to automobile executive John DeLorean. He said last year in his federal financial disclosure that the property was worth more than $50 million.

The appraisal raises questions about the success of the golf club, in a semi-rural part of New Jersey where Mr. Trump once considered building his own private cemetery.

“The property owner has shared projections for the existing golf course operations…that show, prior to depreciation, a consistent loss emanating from the operation of the country club,” wrote the appraiser, Robert Heffernan. “I would not perceive a point in the near future where the golf course operation would establish adequate operational income to substantiate a reasonable value to the underlying land that would exceed its alternate value as a residential subdivision of 33 individual building lots.”

MORE ON ELECTION 2016

GOP Senators Say House Health Bill Won’t Pass Without Changes March 14, 2017
Late-Winter Storm Hits U.S. East Coast March 14, 2017
Rent Dispute Shines Light on a Boston Landmark March 14, 2017
Marine Corps Officials Struggle to Explain Photo Scandal to Senators March 14, 2017
Obama-Era Immigration Official Is in Center of Trump’s Storm March 14, 2017
Unlike other candidates, Mr. Trump has refused to release even part of his federal income-tax returns, citing continuing audits. But county land records revealed that he has donated conservation easements on at least four of his properties: The Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Fla., the Seven Springs estate in Westchester County, N.Y., the New Jersey golf club and a golf driving range on the California coast. Three of the donations, including the Bedminster one, were made in December, when taxpayers are typically making deductions that can offset that year’s income.

In 2005, the top federal income-tax rate was 35%, so Mr. Trump could have shaved more than $14 million off his tax bill and claimed a state income-tax deduction.

“Trump is not a rare bird in this. This is a common practice,” said Dean Zerbe, a former Republican Senate staffer who helped lead investigations into the aggressive use of conservation easements. “From a public-policy viewpoint of ‘we want to preserve public space, we want to preserve farmland, we want to preserve habitat,’ that’s where you kind of wince a little bit.”

Mr. Trump has called himself an “ardent philanthropist” and his campaign claimed in 2015 that he had donated $102 million over the prior five years. That amount dwarfs his publicly reported contributions to his own foundation.

The easements themselves don’t show how much Mr. Trump deducted. Most of them were donated to nonprofit groups that don’t have to disclose the appraisals.

But in New Jersey, Mr. Trump donated the easement to the town of Bedminster, and a clause on page 13 required him to send the town the appraisal he was using “to calculate any deduction for federal income-tax purposes.” The Wall Street Journal obtained the appraisal on Thursday through a public-records request. The appraisal doesn’t include any portion of Mr. Trump’s tax return.

The IRS has been aggressively challenging conservation easements, especially on golf courses, through audits and litigation.

Hope Hicks, a spokesman for Mr. Trump’s campaign, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday. Neither did Mr. Heffernan, the appraiser.

previous article on 2005 tax returns

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

efb

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

rachael maddow at times sounds like she is doing the davinci code

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Third World Reggin posted:

rachael maddow at times sounds like she is doing the davinci code

It's the news as directed by Christopher Nolan

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

WHAT'S THE loving DETAILS COME ON

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

RACHAEL BAE GET TO THE POOOOOOOINT

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I actually like this because I don't think a lot of people watching are aware of this stuff

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

This isn't anime Maddow, we don't need the recap.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

calm down, she's connecting the dots

the dots that we already know, he's a russian stoolie -- allegedly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat Glenn Beck lookin p good with a pixie cut

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

shyduck posted:

I actually like this because I don't think a lot of people watching are aware of this stuff

they are still unaware since it isn't simple enough

butros
Aug 2, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

:perfect:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtm_Q2LK9g

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Do any of her questions ever get answers or does she just end sentences with question marks uninterrupted for an hour?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

butros posted:

Do any of her questions ever get answers or does she just end sentences with question marks uninterrupted for an hour?

expect this to end in about 2 minutes

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/barry/status/841819322066579456

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Goddamn right on the money

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

uncanny

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Sumbitch, like prophecy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fucks sake nothing before the first ad break

i think there's nothing in this or she would have been like YO TREASON

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

what happened

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

what happened

a brief history lesson. another lesson on why it is important for trump to release his tax returns. a commercial break.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think Rachel is pretty.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What's funny about this is that Trump could make this all go away pretty easily. But he won't which is why questions linger.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's just the 1040 form.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/841814263773691904

Food for thought.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

so this is breadcrumbs at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

It's just the 1040 form.

So she just validated a ton of his media witch hunt horseshit, right? Because she has delivered...well nothing.

• Locked thread