Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maul's come a very long way from being the weird-looking dude with cardboard for personality who killed Liam Neeson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hate bringing people back from the dead, but Maul has grown on me.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shbobdb posted:

I hate bringing people back from the dead, but Maul has grown on me.

I can't believe you have positive things to say about this show.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I loved the first season, have OK feeling about the second season and am deeply disappointed by the third season.

I'm posting in this thread because I like this show. I just really dislike the direction it's gone starting in the second season and turbocharged in this one because I love Star Wars but never really engaged in the EU beyond Dark Forces/KOTORI+II because the other poo poo wasn't real Star Wars and was really bad. I read started reading Heir to the Emperor in 4th Grade and decided that it was poo poo.

S2 and especially S3 has been for book fanboys and I am not a book fanboy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This season has been fine other than Mandalore. Stick to Sabine's history as an Imperial cadet and ignore the jetpack Klingons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This season has been really uneven for me, but the latest batch of episodes have been pretty great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Shbobdb posted:

S2 and especially S3 has been for book fanboys and I am not a book fanboy.

I never read any of the Star Wars books myself but for me this representation of Thrawn is not too far off from the cold, calculating guy who saved Emperor Palpatine from being captured by Zaarin and then also baited the same guy out by paying attention (TIE Fighter was a pretty big part of my childhood). From what I have heard of in the books Thrawn would look at paintings and art collections and be able to win major offenses because "according to these brush strokes, this species will fall for a pincer attack" which sounds absolutely retarded.

I can understand frustrations with EU characters being resurrected but I think Thrawn was one of the best ideas they had for a season long villain, especially since the Inquisitors from last season were kind of underwhelming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aces High posted:

I never read any of the Star Wars books myself but for me this representation of Thrawn is not too far off from the cold, calculating guy who saved Emperor Palpatine from being captured by Zaarin and then also baited the same guy out by paying attention (TIE Fighter was a pretty big part of my childhood). From what I have heard of in the books Thrawn would look at paintings and art collections and be able to win major offenses because "according to these brush strokes, this species will fall for a pincer attack" which sounds absolutely retarded.

I can understand frustrations with EU characters being resurrected but I think Thrawn was one of the best ideas they had for a season long villain, especially since the Inquisitors from last season were kind of underwhelming.

Its not the artist, but the artpiece itself speaking of the culture it came from. The brushstroke thing was tantamount to childsplay for him.

The general idea is he examines artpieces of his various enemy's cultures and races, getting in the head of how they think when painting them as well as the actual subject matter. Something like that, anyway.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its not the artist, but the artpiece itself speaking of the culture it came from. The brushstroke thing was tantamount to childsplay for him.

The general idea is he examines artpieces of his various enemy's cultures and races, getting in the head of how they think when painting them as well as the actual subject matter. Something like that, anyway.

Right, like he said... absolutely retarded.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I started catching up with season 3 of House of Cards after getting 6 months of free Netflix, and just realised that Grand Admiral Thrawn is also the President of the Russian Federation

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Multiple impressions from people with screeners of "Twin Suns" seem to indicate that it's some sort of emotional, bring-tissues tour de force, which I honestly wasn't expecting given the premise. Going to be a long week regardless.

so kanan is prob gonna die i guess. Hes been pretty useless for a while now. I doubt many people will shed tears over Maul, sabine is gone, they wont kill a kid, hera lives until Rogue 1 and zeb is another just there type character.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Or Maul and Kenobi come to some sort of understanding.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

DancinBrud posted:

Maul: Remember that time I killed your Master? :smug:
Kenobi: Remember that time I kill You. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My bet is that Kenobi tells Maul who Vader really is, and Maul gives up on realising who is the bigger failure between them

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DancinBrud posted:

I saw some growth in Maul in his last appearance. It seemed like he actually wanted a friend. I definitely think he's operating outside of the Sith paradigm at this point, even if it's left a lasting mark on him and he has some lingering anger/trust/evil issues.

Consider also that from his point of view Kenobi might be the reason he lost Palp's favor, even though Palp was the abusive father he couldn't stop wanting his approval.

We as the audience know his anger is misplaced but he might not see it that way despite the fact that he seems to bear a grudge against the Sith now for what happened to his brother, Dathomir, etc.

Ultimately though I think it would be hugely satisfying for Maul to lay down his arms of his own accord and make peace with Kenobi rather than have to be persuaded.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up episode by episode. I now remember why I peaced out of season 2, outside of work commitments.

The first half drags so hard. After the great premiere the show just dicks around with no real overarching plot for entirely too long. The idea of doing standalone eps that flesh out the characters should work... but it does not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found out people didn't like the brief musical scene, and I wonder what it is like to live without joy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

In the grim darkness of a galaxy far far away there are no musical numbers.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

twistedmentat posted:

I found out people didn't like the brief musical scene, and I wonder what it is like to live without joy.

Everyone hated the Star Wars Kinect game, and pointed to that dumb Han Solo song, but there was more to it, and Star Wars and Disco go hand in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbBiexLN9s

I'm sorry, but Han and Lando disco dancing is amazing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Everyone hated the Star Wars Kinect game, and pointed to that dumb Han Solo song, but there was more to it, and Star Wars and Disco go hand in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbBiexLN9s

I'm sorry, but Han and Lando disco dancing is amazing.

You didnt even link the best one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bmXywWus8

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The tabletop game Armada is getting two more ships which came from Rebels (and Rogue One too I guess) in the Carrier and Hammerhead:
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/841773120113508352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Now we just need it to go the other way and have an Imperial Raider show up in Rebels sometime. Would have made a good enemy back in season 1.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 15, 2017

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

They really needed to come up with a better title for that one, because all I think about is Empire Carpets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drunkill posted:

The tabletop game Armada is getting two more ships which came from Rebels (and Rogue One too I guess) in the Carrier and Hammerhead:
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/841773120113508352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Now we just need it to go the other way and have an Imperial Raider show up in Rebels sometime. Would have made a good enemy back in season 1.

It's a nice ship, but far too high-tier for season 1. Season 1 was about clowning the local garrison and light cruisers, while and starting to provoke the higher-ups enough to require a Special Agent to go take a look-see as to what's going on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drunkill posted:

We already have the Arquitens, which is much cooler than that ugly TIE'd up corvette.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A cruiser catastrophically exploding because the droid it was monitoring was being shocked is just silly.

I know it's dumb to complain about realism in hacking on TV, but come on.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, but unless they are killed they become repeating villains.

I'm OK with killing Kang. Kang is cool when he gets the super suit but that's not what we want out of SW.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a nice ship, but far too high-tier for season 1. Season 1 was about clowning the local garrison and light cruisers, while and starting to provoke the higher-ups enough to require a Special Agent to go take a look-see as to what's going on.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We already have the Arquitens, which is much cooler than that ugly TIE'd up corvette.
The Raider is a bit smaller than the Arquitens, it is a patrol ship so would have been nice thematically to run into them back in season 1, given the Arquitens didn't show up until the end of the season.

Here it is in the X-Wing tabletop game, for comparison of scale to fighters.

Dr Christmas posted:

A cruiser catastrophically exploding because the droid it was monitoring was being shocked is just silly.

I know it's dumb to complain about realism in hacking on TV, but come on.
Yeah. As I was watching I was thinking they'd just be overloading the sensors and wiping the memory banks or something, not detonating the ship somehow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hera simply rolled all the Triumphs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
She passed a "will" check.

You might say it was a triumph of the . . .

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Shbobdb posted:

She passed a "will" check.

You might say it was a triumph of the . . .

...whills?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:wow:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

howe_sam posted:

And to be fair, Hera knew something was up from the moment she saw Chop

Walk through this scanner. Don't worry; checking the results isn't SOP.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TheCenturion posted:

Walk through this scanner. Don't worry; checking the results isn't SOP.

Yeah I really didn't get that. I thought the denial was going to be what tipped Thrawn off, and the scanner was purposely delaying its response. Nope, just really lovely stormtroopers I guess.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope, just really lovely stormtroopers I guess.

I firmly believe that the majority of stormtroopers are of the mind of "uh uh, I don't get paid enough for this poo poo. They may be Rebels and that means I might die"

Because really, how many stormtroopers has Vader killed for incompetence? That's right, none, it's the officers that always get in poo poo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Morning poo poo duty again, on this base at the rear end in a top hat end of nowhere, not even a cantina to visit off duty, the first droid beeped green that's loving good enough, like I'm gonna double scan every tin can that comes through here because fuckface at headquarters can't even put the right day's codes in it before sticking it on a transport

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am glad I am not the only person in this thread whose worked security at some rear end-end little place and couldn't give less of a poo poo what happened to it as long as the checks came in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aces High posted:

I firmly believe that the majority of stormtroopers are of the mind of "uh uh, I don't get paid enough for this poo poo. They may be Rebels and that means I might die"

Because really, how many stormtroopers has Vader killed for incompetence? That's right, none, it's the officers that always get in poo poo

I'm quite partial to the bit scene in The Force Awakens where you see a couple of Stormtroopers rock up to see what the noise is, realise it's Kylo Ren having a temper tantrum, and turn right the gently caress around because that is not gonna be a fun time to be near.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd83cMMmjqY

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He is reverting to Spider Maul levels of (in)sanity. Then again, maybe he was insane all long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
FWIW there are very spoilery clips of the episode in YouTube; I saw them as recommendations for that youtube video posted above.

• Locked thread