Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
yes, my bad. here's another to make up for it:

Graham blames "Twitter Counter".
https://twitter.com/gcluley/status/841938707603161088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i'm the third party services able to post on users accounts without any badge or label to identify their posts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bicycle posted:

yes, my bad. here's another to make up for it:

Graham blames "Twitter Counter".
https://twitter.com/gcluley/status/841938707603161088

it's true:

http://blog.twittercounter.com/2016/11/twitter-counter-accounts-secured-following-a-hack/

e: oh wait that was 3 months ago

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
twitter statistics is something I care about enough to give a third-party access to my accounts

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

bicycle posted:

twitter statistics is something I care about enough to give a third-party access to my accounts

understandable for read access, but write access ???

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

understandable for read access, but write access ???

when we were doing Twitter integration experiments in Firefox, we wanted a token that was write only so that people could post from the browser but we couldn't leak tweets and DMs if there were a bug. twitter, at least then, had only very coarse permissions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

i don't know exactly how enforcement works, to my knowledge there are some basic requirements for electrical devices sold in the united states, things like requiring UL and CE marks, so in theory something similar to that

I don't know about CE (though lol at the companies just shoving it in there and claiming "but it means China Export!"), but UL certification just means that you paid UL to test your product and it passed their tests well enough to be certified by them. It's not regulated by law, and you can sell an electrical product without it. You might have trouble finding a retailer who will do it, but​ it's not a government agency and it's not mandatory.

Recalls are generally voluntary and only exist to reduce your liability from a civil suit. You have to really gently caress up to an almost impossible degree to get the government involved, like the guy at GM who caused hundreds of people to die due to hubris and incompetence, and GM's failure to act on this knowledge for a decade, and even that ended with mere fines.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

endlessmonotony posted:

If your glucose monitor fails in those conditions it's not legal to begin with.

Implementing such a law would probably be easiest done by adding an extra tax and then allowing companies to claim back that tax after a certain period of patching known flaws.

that would lead to deliberately coding IN the flaws so they could make a show of patching them back OUT again, the way china does with getting credits for destroying the cfcs they create so they can destroy them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flakeloaf posted:

that would lead to deliberately coding IN the flaws so they could make a show of patching them back OUT again, the way china does with getting credits for destroying the cfcs they create so they can destroy them

http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-13

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

flakeloaf posted:

If there were no known flaws they'd automatically be able to claim their money back under a sane system.

It's not "money returned based on number of bugs patched", it's "money returned after a certain period* of a device having its security flaws patched as soon** as they're discovered***".

* The EU would probably pick two years, being the only entity even somewhat likely to implement something like this.
** Within a reasonable time frame, like two weeks.
*** It would obviously lead to companies trying their very best to keep people from publishing security flaws. No change from today.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

can someone explain to me what fortinet is doing here using a weird CN for the cert of their UTM sig update service?

also lol trying to run SSL Labs against update.fortiguard.net returns internal errors

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

more like fartinet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, that's a good one. I just don't think anyone is going to make a case stick against Amazon

the AWS SLA is nowhere near close enough for critical medical usage and I wouldn't be surprised if the use agreement specifically forbids the use in emergency services.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the botnet doesn't matter, it's a convenient example of compromised devices. who's liable if your smoke alarm doesn't go off while your house burns down because someone hacked it for lulz?

being part of a botnet can prevent devices from functioning, but the same access methods can be used to modify their behaviour in other ways, the fact that they're vulnerable to remote intrusion is the problem

specifically the manufacturer's problem

the liability should be on the manufacturer (up to a point), but mandating coding standards (and enforcing them) is a fools errand.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

so what's the solution?

mandating isps monitor botnet-like traffic won't work because it'll just lead to cleverer traffic shaping and false positives and grandma not being able to facetweet her poopsie because the smart couch cushion her grandnephew bought her is phoning home

mandatory remote-brick codes for misbehaving devices their mfrs can't fix? lol when that one gets out and someone shuts off a few hundred thousand smoke detectors by sending them 00000000

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ISPs killing traffic for known botnets is a good solution for stopping those botnets. they already quarantine people for known virus traffic and grandmas have to call in to get it fixed every day. less so now w/ things like mandatory updates in win10.

but in systemic terms the solution is the manufacturer would have to issue a recall and make sure everything is returned or fixed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

obviously we need to install backdoors in everything so the helpful FBI man can come in and sweep for terrorist viruses once a month

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
from pretty much everything i've read so far and from what smart people in this thread keep saying, the main reason IoT botnets are so powerful is because pretty much every manufacturer contracts their poo poo out to the lowest possible tier developer who shits out the cheapest, most outdated hardware, running unaudited, outdated code, with either hardcoded credentials (or no credentials), and undocumented root shells exposed straight to the internet.

this makes the cost-per-unit-hacked extremely low for the people that are creating the botnets and allows them to grow to gigantic sizes, and also to be distributed all around the world.

so maybe before looking at extreme solutions like killswitches, maybe we can incentivize the industry to step up the bare minimum quality of their products? at the very least you make it substantially more expensive for these botnets to be created and run.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think it even needs to be contracted out for it to suck

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

corporations shouldn't need to be encouraged to do the right thing. maybe governments could implement stricter auditing regimens in conjunction with enhanced whistleblowing protections and setup federal bug-bounty programs which encourage security conscious developers to come-forward and report secfucks in the products they're developing?

kinda like what the FDA does i guess

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

to be more succinct, i think iot security is a consumer safety issue as long as things like smoke/co alarms, stoves, and fridges are being connected to the internet. webcams in a botnet are a bit of a red herring, it's just a convenient example since it's been in the news

well that'll depend on what the "internet" functionality of the devices is.

one of those stupid fridges with a display and a browser shoved on one of the doors is an iot fridge, but the internet part has no control over the temperature or anything like that, and the silly little tablet component can be removed without impairing the important functionality. there's ultimately very little safety issue you can get from that.

meanwhile a smoke alarm that requires the internet to detect when there's smoke obviously can't have that functionality removed, and in fact should probably be outright illegal because there's no way to ensure a reliable enough internet connection regardless. similarly that one ~smart oven~ thing that couldn't be shut off when the servers got hosed up should also be illegal.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

incentivize the industry to step up the bare minimum quality of their products

that just creates space for an unethical person in a less-regulated place to step up and occupy the niche. like when you shoot all the skunks in your garden and raccoons move in and you say "man do i wish i had the skunks back"

the isp as the gatekeeper is probably the easiest approach to implement but i shudder to think of what their phone drones would have to endure as a result

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

that just creates space for an unethical person in a less-regulated place to step up and occupy the niche. like when you shoot all the skunks in your garden and raccoons move in and you say "man do i wish i had the skunks back"

the isp as the gatekeeper is probably the easiest approach to implement but i shudder to think of what their phone drones would have to endure as a result

imo carrier-level blocking sets a dangerous precedent and would not be effective. sure you could block the majority of layer 4 C&C traffic but what about layer 7 C&C which is piggybacking off a legit service like twitter? unless you want SSL intercept with deep-packet inspection then holy pisssss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it already happens and already is highly effective at getting outdated computers off the ISP network.

if something is using twitter for c&c then twitter can look at it. either way this isn't the final solution to the botnet problem this is a way to hit the low hanging fruit thats easy to find. you cant stop single user targeted attacks this way but you could stop ddos

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

it's already been mentioned but the us is the main tech market, and people usually buy their poo poo at big brands. if those stores stop buying those products, you can bet your rear end D-link, TP-Link, Netgear and all those low-cost, china-based manufacturers are going to step up their game.

both approaches involve "regulations" but by going against sellers in the US you basically use market forces against itself and you can still use a more direct approach of auditing and testing devices like the FDA does.

the isp as a gatekeeper means that you're going to get a lot of false-positives, getting into a discussion about how much should ISPs bee looking into private traffic, and eventually botnets will adapt by encrypting their traffic

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
there's no silver bullet, I think. a coordinated, multipronged approach by the leading world economies could work to a point but lol at that happening under the current climate.

I honestly think shifting civil liability to everyone in the supply chain has the highest ROI

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

from pretty much everything i've read so far and from what smart people in this thread keep saying, the main reason IoT botnets are so powerful is because pretty much every manufacturer contracts their poo poo out to the lowest possible tier developer who shits out the cheapest, most outdated hardware, running unaudited, outdated code, with either hardcoded credentials (or no credentials), and undocumented root shells exposed straight to the internet.

this makes the cost-per-unit-hacked extremely low for the people that are creating the botnets and allows them to grow to gigantic sizes, and also to be distributed all around the world.

so maybe before looking at extreme solutions like killswitches, maybe we can incentivize the industry to step up the bare minimum quality of their products? at the very least you make it substantially more expensive for these botnets to be created and run.

It's also that there's just so much more of them the last few years. IoT has always been crap, they haven't been getting crappier, just more numerous.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

there's been zero motivation from governments to even form a somewhat rudimentary framework of standards and oversight for the industry. as the public cannot mentally attribute damages from criminal enterprise to their fridge or smart TV there is no mass public outcry calling for change. unless someone actually dies horribly from an IoT toaster/lawnmower then we more than likely will not see much movement in the space. and if someone does die then lookout here cum the lobbyists.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
via secureworks:

quote:

It is important to note that the SSL cert relating to this incident is in fact a true positive. However, we have received unconfirmed information that suggests the cause of this activity may be the app from "Zillow" making requests to hxxps://zillow.app-test.link.

app-test[.]link was previously unowned, but was registered on March 8, 2017 and then immediately sinkholed.

Although this is still being investigated, it's possible that Zillow was using "hxxps://zillow.app-test.link" as a dummy test domain in their app, but never thought to purchase it. It appears someone else has purchased it and the domain has since been sinkholed to prevent abuse.

Because the traffic occurs after the DNS lookup and can be triggered for any domain using this Anubis certificate, and due to a spike in traffic relating to this countermeasure that started in December 2016, it is possible that the traffic may not be related.

We recommend checking the relevant iPhones for the Zillow app, as this may be the cause for these alerts.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao, a classic sec-gently caress. all internal test-domains should be registered publicly, period.

edit: actually do you have a link to that post afreak? i'd like to use it to harass a client who isn't doing the needful

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
zillowned

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, i can't wait until they make .local a public tld

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they'll probably embargo it it like what they did with example.com and the other IETF documentation domains.

but if it does become available i'll be contoso.local

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its already reserved

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

In our self-stimulating attack, we play a malicious music file from a smartphone’s speaker to control the on-board MEMS accelerometer trusted by a local app to pilot a toy RC car.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

cheese-cube posted:

lmao, a classic sec-gently caress. all internal test-domains should be registered publicly, period.

edit: actually do you have a link to that post afreak? i'd like to use it to harass a client who isn't doing the needful

sadly no link

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pretty major remote account vulnerability in whatsapp and telegram due to lovely attachment handling

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

the shady dude w/ the hoodie on really helps me understand this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pictured: A hacker coming for your Whatsapp*

*now that you've viewed this image we own your whatsapp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/russia-hackers-charged-yahoo-breach-1.4026006

quote:

The United States announced charges Wednesday against a dual Canadian-Kazakh national, two Russian intelligence officers and a fourth man, who lives in the U.S. but has ties to Russia, accusing them of a massive data breach at Yahoo that affected at least a half billion user accounts.

The hack targeted the email accounts of Russian and U.S. officials, Russian journalists, and employees of financial services and other businesses, officials said.

"We will not allow individuals, groups, nation states or a combination of them to compromise the privacy of our citizens, the economic interests of our companies, or the security of our country," said Acting Assistant Attorney General Mary McCord at a news conference.

The person arrested in Canada is Karim Baratov, 22, a dual Canadian-Kazakh national. He was taken into custody in Ancaster, Ont., on Tuesday.

Russian intelligence (FSB) agents Dmitry Aleksandrovich Dokuchaev, 33, and Igor Anatolyevich Sushchin, 43, also face charges. Russian national and U.S. resident Alexsey Alexseyevich Belan, also known as "Magg," 29, has also been indicted.

The charges arise from a compromise of Yahoo user accounts that began at least as early as 2014. Though the Justice Department has previously charged Russian hackers with cybercrime — as well as hackers sponsored by the Chinese and Iranian governments — this is the first criminal case brought against Russian government officials.

The announcement comes as federal authorities investigate Russian interference through hacking in the 2016 presidential election.

Yahoo didn't disclose the 2014 breach until last September when it began notifying at least 500 million users that their email addresses, birth dates, answers to security questions and other personal information may have been stolen. Three months later, Yahoo revealed it had uncovered a separate hack in 2013 affecting about 1 billion accounts, including some that were also hit in 2014.

In a statement, Chris Madsen, Yahoo's assistant general counsel and head of global security, thanked law enforcement agencies for their work.

"We're committed to keeping our users and our platforms secure and will continue to engage with law enforcement to combat cybercrime," he said.

here's the canadian's facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/mrkarrrim

seems to match up

• Locked thread