Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TurboDrizzle posted:

Isnt WRC struggling for a TV contract and scrambling to change its format for whoever will listen? Honestly thats what i heard.

Which is fine, but i dont want f1 to follow its example and have sprinklers and shortcuts (or V6 hybrid engines)

Yeah it isn't now but it was incredibly popular in the Group B and even the Group A days. It's sort of stopped going off the rails this year but I've got no clue what it'll be like over the long term.

Also the hybrid V6s are great and again I don't know how you chucklefucks are hating on engines that are approaching the original turbo era power levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like any racing that's good and has personalities I can get behind and also poo poo on.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah it isn't now but it was incredibly popular in the Group B and even the Group A days. It's sort of stopped going off the rails this year but I've got no clue what it'll be like over the long term.

Also the hybrid V6s are great and again I don't know how you chucklefucks are hating on engines that are approaching the original turbo era power levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrsPfXIFzSA&t=13s
This video based on nothing but 1964 technology

3 words: Fuel flow limit. There is no reason these cars cant be making 2000 horsepower.

Full disclosure: I briefy was involved in a top fuel team :)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Personally I think easing the fuel flow limit would be a good thing. Don't change the fuel weight allowed though. I think it'd be a neat challenge for the engineers to not only extract maximum efficiency, but also an engine that can putter around on literal fumes and battery power behind the safety car, and then balls out 2000hp for that one killer in or out lap without the engine exploding. For the same reason I'd like to see changes in how much electrical power the energy system is allowed to produce. Let em go hog wild.

It'd also make fuel strategy a little more interesting without having refueling. Does Seb Kimi go balls out of 3 laps and spend a bunch of fuel at 1500hp to build a gap and run the risk of running out, but maybe causing Hamilton to wreck his tyres trying to catch up?

I think that'd be neat. Especially if we could get real time infographics about what percentage of the engine power is being used (that is to say, what engine mode really means beyond setting a-1, d-6 or whatever code each team uses).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Drag racing should be the perfect example of how a whole lot of horsepower doesn't make for anything worth watching. A 2017 F1 car producing near 1000 bhp is incredible because it's 700kg and it goes around a corner like nothing else

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Drag racing should be the perfect example of how a whole lot of horsepower doesn't make for anything worth watching. A 2017 F1 car producing near 1000 bhp is incredible because it's 700kg and it goes around a corner like nothing else

Yea mate i'm right there with you, but 10,000 is a lot. You sort of feel it in your chest hundreds of feet away, and the nitromethane fumes melt your sinus cavities. The v6 hybrid format has the potential to be just as awesome with a big fat fuel tank and a high fuel flow rate. (we can remove the KERS and batteries to save the extra weight)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The thing is the fuel flow limit is a very easy way to put a total ceiling on horsepower and I can't see the FIA giving that up, even then i think you'd see a lot of teams against it on cost grounds since the engine prices would shoot through the roof if we went back to 20k RPM. Really it hasn't even been a factor in the past few years for the majority of the teams, I'd be far more interested in them lifting the prescriptive ICE requirements and having teams try new configurations other than a 90 degree V6 than lifting the fuel flow limit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Are you loving kidding?

This entire thread is semi-fans talking about who is beautiful and whatever other ridiculous in-joke is popular. Who is the whiniest is a constant theme. It's got nothing to do with anything Formula One and everything to do with bullshit meme culture.

What do you expect, thoughtful insight based on years of experience?

A running joke here is the word fraud and how basically any driver can suddenly be a fraud because you don't like them. It's the loving worst thread man
No, only the frauds are frauds and the most beautiful man has been for 10 years.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TurboDrizzle posted:

Yea mate i'm right there with you, but 10,000 is a lot. You sort of feel it in your chest hundreds of feet away, and the nitromethane fumes melt your sinus cavities. The v6 hybrid format has the potential to be just as awesome with a big fat fuel tank and a high fuel flow rate. (we can remove the KERS and batteries to save the extra weight)

Yeah, go down to the docks when the Queen Mary 2 is docking and it's an incredible loving sight. It's not a skyscraper, but a whole couple of city blocks of skyscrapers all moving at a fair clip to a parking spot that you wouldn't believe. Then it just says 'no thanks' to the tugs, swivels it's engine pods and parallel parks better than I can.

She produces something like 100,000 horsepower. But it's over 100 thousand tons and is a cruise ship so who cares.

That's my point. Horsepower means nothing, power to weight means everything. 100,000 horsepower in anything other than a cruise ship is interesting, but in the QM2 its pedestrian.

As for just going back to pouring in as much fuel as we can and THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT, no, that's the V8 Supercars in Australia. You can go and buy a new Holden or Ford with some 315kw V8 (approaching 500 bhp, serious poo poo) for pretty cheap, you can get a second-hand one for nearly nothing. A BMW M3 is still loving expensive because although it's got less power it's more refined and just a better car in every conceivable way. Not that much less power, the M3 straight six is very torquey, but it's a different style of car.

Back to naturally aspirated screaming engines would tickle my nostalgia and be fun, but I can't deny it's a step backward technologically. That M3 straight six would probably have a turbo on it, by the way, just like a 2017 F1 car would.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The queen mary isnt a racecar, and saving fuel isnt a technological step forward in racing cars. Surely you cant dispute either point.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Changing GP2 to F2 makes me wish F1 has a relegation system so that we could send McLaren down

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TurboDrizzle posted:

The queen mary isnt a racecar, and saving fuel isnt a technological step forward in racing cars. Surely you cant dispute either point.

Building a conventional ICE engine isn't a technological step forward either, every car maker in the world has known how to do this for the past 15 years. The hybrid regs has pushed them to exploit all sorts of cool poo poo in pursuit of ever leaner combustion.

You can bitch about the hybrid regs but it's meant we've seen a lot of really cool futuristic poo poo that we really haven't seen since the electronics/active suspension era in the early 90s with the added bonus of it not being some gimmick loophole in the regs. If you just want to see big numbers then you should probably just play around with a spreadsheet.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Bring back fan car

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Canuck posted:

Bring back fan car

If Newey had his way would would have had them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Carth Dookie posted:

Except in the golden era when it was the domain of guys who also cut it in F1.

Jacky Ickx is like the ultimate "guy who couldn't quite cut it in F1"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Changing GP2 to F2 makes me wish F1 has a relegation system so that we could send McLaren down

This is how racing works in Motorsport Manager and it's cool

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TurboDrizzle posted:

Yes, saving fuel is a technological step in a racecar. In this formula fuel is limited.

Fuel economy is huge and always has been in Formula One. It used to be more interesting and more of a difference between engines and required difference strategies based on your power plant.

It's not just about saving fuel from an environmental aspect or some other high notion. It's just power to weight again, if I can produce a more efficient engine and therefore don't have to lug around as much fuel as you do, whatever power increase you have will have to overcome your weight disadvantage.

V12s are heavy, big block V8s are heavy and yes they produce insane torque because there is so much machine moving. But now you can produce insane torque by exploiting the fact an electric motor can produce maximum torque at 1rpm. You can have the insane torque but without the weight, then on the top end use the massive flow of exhaust gases to harness even more power (turbo).

It's a beautiful union between electric and combustion, not KERS where the electrics come over the top but integrated and smooth and by all reports from the crusty SKY crew (brundle drove a couple last year, DC usually does) the power in the new cars is just something else. They say it's like nothing they've ever experienced, they find the throttle control challenging.

It's a beautiful thing, man. We don't want to go backward. This is one of the the things that make F1 what it is, they are powered by insane magic machines that are barely understood, produce ridiculous performance figures and are tended to like a terminally ill patient.

edit: on the idea that if you lifted fuel flow restrictions you'd have more strategy to play with and that would be more interesting races, they do that now with electrical power. Drivers go into a race mode that has slightly less poke but charges the battery better, saving up a full load to be used in overtaking mode or even just a strategically relevant few flying laps. I'm sure you know all this, but yeah, they already do that now, I dunno if it helps.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You've all seen it, except perhaps a couple that haven't. I feel like posting it, Brundle's run in the Force India. I don't know how much training he still does but it does impress the poo poo out of me how he seems to be able to pull on the helmet and still wring the neck of a current F1 car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiyQ8aQGWc

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tony Montana posted:

it does impress the poo poo out of me how he seems to be able to pull on the helmet and still wring the neck of a current F1 car.

lol.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Still the only good thing Brundle has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU0gq7gUmWM

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tony Montana posted:

Are you loving kidding?

This entire thread is semi-fans talking about who is beautiful and whatever other ridiculous in-joke is popular. Who is the whiniest is a constant theme. It's got nothing to do with anything Formula One and everything to do with bullshit meme culture.

What do you expect, thoughtful insight based on years of experience?

A running joke here is the word fraud and how basically any driver can suddenly be a fraud because you don't like them. It's the loving worst thread man

Let me tell you about Claire :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Personally I think easing the fuel flow limit would be a good thing. Don't change the fuel weight allowed though. I think it'd be a neat challenge for the engineers to not only extract maximum efficiency, but also an engine that can putter around on literal fumes and battery power behind the safety car, and then balls out 2000hp for that one killer in or out lap without the engine exploding. For the same reason I'd like to see changes in how much electrical power the energy system is allowed to produce. Let em go hog wild.

It'd also make fuel strategy a little more interesting without having refueling. Does Seb Kimi go balls out of 3 laps and spend a bunch of fuel at 1500hp to build a gap and run the risk of running out, but maybe causing Hamilton to wreck his tyres trying to catch up?

I think that'd be neat. Especially if we could get real time infographics about what percentage of the engine power is being used (that is to say, what engine mode really means beyond setting a-1, d-6 or whatever code each team uses).

They do essentially do that, maximum fuel flow is 100kg an hour, Mercedes says they're around 36kg an hour and nearing 50% thermal efficiency.

It's exciting because that tech IS making it into the road cars. The new mercedes i6 can recover electricity while coasting and use it to launch better, and to spool the turbo quicker.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

They do essentially do that, maximum fuel flow is 100kg an hour, Mercedes says they're around 36kg an hour and nearing 50% thermal efficiency.

It's exciting because that tech IS making it into the road cars. The new mercedes i6 can recover electricity while coasting and use it to launch better, and to spool the turbo quicker.

Funny how they have devised a formula that's relevant to road car manufacturers while also making it effectively impossible for new manufacturers to enter. I bet they'd have a hell of a lot more luck getting new engine manufacturers if they didn't so strictly limit testing. Imagine where Renault and Honda might be if they could (attempt) hundreds of miles of private testing, or hell, if they didn't have to make a single engine last like six races.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

Funny how they have devised a formula that's relevant to road car manufacturers while also making it effectively impossible for new manufacturers to enter. I bet they'd have a hell of a lot more luck getting new engine manufacturers if they didn't so strictly limit testing. Imagine where Renault and Honda might be if they could (attempt) hundreds of miles of private testing, or hell, if they didn't have to make a single engine last like six races.

This is... kind of compelling.

Reality is that the engine manufacturers (merc in particular) are spending huge money on R&D and simulation on bench testing rigs and poo poo just to get around the testing limitation rules. I wonder if we've looped back around to the point where it might actually be cheaper to just put the drat things in actual cars again.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

wicka posted:

Imagine where Renault and Honda might be if they could (attempt) hundreds of miles of private testing

Bankrupt?

Because that's exactly what F1 had a few years ago and we ended up with the manufacturers setting up entire teams to do unlimited private testing all year round until all the money disappeared.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Bankrupt?

Because that's exactly what F1 had a few years ago and we ended up with the manufacturers setting up entire teams to do unlimited private testing all year round until all the money disappeared.

That sounds like their problem. Plus I'm not suggesting totally unlimited private testing. Isn't the solution to your scenario just "don't set up entire teams to test year round"?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's some middle ground between barely a week of testing where if you have one bad day you've pretty much written your season off and unlimited private testing. Personally I think Fridays should just be turned into a whole day of open practice every weekend.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Carth Dookie posted:

I'd love to see something like this happen, and work in practice too. Whether it's fuel flow, RPM, or additional battery power. Unfortunately, I still think the teams would manage to "optimize" things with fascinating unseen simulations and calculations and the reality wouldn't be as dynamic a result as we all hope for. It would just give the teams more doohickeys to ruin.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, go down to the docks when the Queen Mary 2 is docking and it's an incredible loving sight. It's not a skyscraper, but a whole couple of city blocks of skyscrapers all moving at a fair clip to a parking spot that you wouldn't believe. Then it just says 'no thanks' to the tugs, swivels it's engine pods and parallel parks better than I can.

She produces something like 100,000 horsepower. But it's over 100 thousand tons and is a cruise ship so who cares.

you can get last min ticket on the queen mary 2 from NYC to Southampton for $799 and I am totally going to do a transatlantic crossing on it one day (prob in the other direction).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao, Liberty called out Baku for being a pointless GP that was only held for the entrance fee: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/azerbaijan-gp-boss-hits-out-at-ignorant-liberty-criticism-883054/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nothing Liberty have done or said since they took over has been bad. They had me at bringing back Brawn.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Typical ignorant American investors making GBS threads on the European Grand Prix. Sad.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
"Money? What do we need money for, we have integrity" - Every failed business ever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HJB posted:

"Money? What do we need money for, we have integrity" - Every failed business ever

What Liberty realizes, because they are not morons, is that they can make way loving more money in the long run by growing the sport and allowing it to thrive, rather than by extorting promoters in third-world shitholes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They might even try concepts un-tested in the bernie era like marketing and ad sales.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

What Liberty realizes, because they are not morons, is that they can make way loving more money in the long run by growing the sport and allowing it to thrive, rather than by extorting promoters in third-world shitholes.

I may be wrong, but looking at how other racing series have performed recently, I'm going to disagree with what you just wrote.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

They might even try concepts un-tested in the bernie era like marketing and ad sales.

They legit just hired people to lead these departments. All the reporting about them has noted that previously all of this was done by Bernie. The "structure" of FOM must be blowing their minds.

daslog posted:

I may be wrong, but looking at how other racing series have performed recently, I'm going to disagree with what you just wrote.

lmao alright slugger

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is it typical for circuits to pay the sport to bring the sport to the circuit? I thought that was unusual

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bring Back Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it typical for circuits to pay the sport to bring the sport to the circuit? I thought that was unusual

Promotor usually takes a cut from the ticket sales in exchange for actually promoting the sport. Bernie made them give him a wedge and then did gently caress all apart from putting it on the calendar. It's probably one of the reason F1 is having problems with sponsors as well.

• Locked thread