Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

To punish that war crime marine they should sentence him to hard labour by having him join the Brexit negotiation team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

It actually gets cheaper the more you scale it up. It's expensive but interesting at the household level, but when you make large vertical farms you can start using sulfur lamps and HVAC and stuff that wouldn't make sense at a home farm scale.

It's still cheaper to spread it out so that you can utilise more natural sunlight, as evidenced by climate-controlled commercial glasshouses actually being A Thing in lots of places in Northern Europe, while vertical farming has a few experiments worldwide at best.

Dutch winter tomatoes grown on a large commercial scale..
Somehow they aren't even prohibitively expensive.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 15, 2017

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

To punish that war crime marine they should sentence him to hard labour by having him join the Brexit negotiation team

Steady on mate, that's a bit much. He's only a war criminal after all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/841955287728836608

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Haha they just reversed the NI increase on self-employed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

Also I'm not even sure how you would deal with stuff that grows on trees. I know I'm obsessed about tangerines but could you really grow a goddamn tree farm indoors?
Every National Trust house's orangery will be returned to its original purpose instead of housing a café or some of those sort of waxy leafed plants and orange juice + tangerines will be available, but like £700 per carton.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tory u-turns are still good. NI raise for self-employed not happening now

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/841980920630517761

i really should do some work at some point today

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Ratjaculation posted:

Tory u-turns are still good. NI raise for self-employed not happening now

Now if they could just see their way to reversing the slaughtering of the tax-free dividend allowance...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potatoes, pasta and rice are probably my three favorite foods so I'd be quite happy with an infinite supply of them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

Glasshouses mostly.

Nidderdale would in fact be ideal then!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

It's still cheaper to spread it out so that you can utilise more natural sunlight, as evidenced by climate-controlled commercial glasshouses actually being A Thing in lots of places in Northern Europe, while vertical farming has a few experiments worldwide at best.
Thanet Earth + similar sites do that even in the UK, this isn't some notionally possible way of growing things, it's happening here already lol

OwlFancier posted:

Potatoes, pasta and rice are probably my three favorite foods so I'd be quite happy with an infinite supply of them.
You do not need community aquaponics to grow potatoes, you need a raised bed. I can't see the UK losing access to wheat or rice any time soon, either.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

Nidderdale would in fact be ideal then!
aaay

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Pretty sure someone itt predicted this u-turn last week as a way of the Tories showing that they listen to the people, are compassionate etc. I note that there's been no u-turn on the middle class tax cuts coming into effect in April.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

Thanet Earth + similar sites do that even in the UK, this isn't some notionally possible way of growing things, it's happening here already lol

Sure that's what I've been saying, it's not impossible at all really, just a bit expensive. If you're talking about vertical farming it's not though (Earth+ anyway), vertical farming as in building multiple-story glasshouses basically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Community aquaponics/glasshouses/etc. would only be necessary for fancier crops. There are far more down to earth (:rimshot:) ways to get your neeps and tatties.

Also marrows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

we can trust them with the economy though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn is having a mare at PMQs.

https://twitter.com/Edwina_Currie/status/841984246306750465

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my mam grew all sorts of veg on her allotment here in newcastle and the weather is poo poo for growing a bunch fo stuff. Tomatoes don't grow well though

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Don't sign your tweets Jeremy!!!!!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Vertical farming is a really bourgie thing actually, like pretty much the whole point is to allow farming to be done inside cities so you can have your "locally grown" food without having to live somewhere in the sticks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pissflaps posted:

I think the Tories will do one of their U-turns on this.

Called it :smug:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fangz posted:

Why do I think this is total bullshit?

It's sad but a lot of the whackadoo Bernie sanders types are just as bonkers and fantasy-land as the drumpfenreich's internet brownshirts. It's hard to forgive sanders for smearing the poo poo he did all over the DNC and encouraging the fruitcakes. But everyone figured trump would get annihilated, so what can you do :(

I'm proud the DNC fought off a corbyn style disaster. Politics matters, it's not a game for dumb idealistic college students.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh they think Trump is a shambles. His ratings are the lowest for any sitting President. They just think that the establishment, neo-liberal Democratic party are even more of a shambles. Which they are.

Insanity

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lord of the Llamas posted:

War crimes are something foreigners do not are boys.

You are joking but that's literally true.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's somewhat surreal reading several pages of "Britain will be fine because of our bountiful parsnip harvest". I feel like maybe you guys should be out in the streets rioting.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Vertical farming is a really bourgie thing actually, like pretty much the whole point is to allow farming to be done inside cities so you can have your "locally grown" food without having to live somewhere in the sticks.
lmao

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Does anyone in government actually do any loving work, or is this some kind of advanced tactic where they are attempting to derail Brexit by being so staggeringly incompetent to the British public that they won't accept it when they deal has been hammered out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's somewhat surreal reading several pages of "Britain will be fine because of our bountiful parsnip harvest". I feel like maybe you guys should be out in the streets rioting.
Against what exactly?

Just sorta everything? Tempting. But on the specific tarriff policy her midg' government ends up with after 2 years of negotiations between people who will hopefully develop A Clue? Seems like the kind of technical matter that's rather hard to put on a placard.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

Does anyone in government actually do any loving work, or is this some kind of advanced tactic where they are attempting to derail Brexit by being so staggeringly incompetent to the British public that they won't accept it when they deal has been hammered out.
The public doesn't get to reject the deal.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jBrereton posted:

The public doesn't get to reject the deal.
I know that, I mean that it will become political suicide to accept such a lovely deal once its been negotiated.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
They are, indeed, -that- loving incompetent. It's not some kind of ten-dimensional chess to avert Brexit. Brexit is happening and let's hope they can make it work somehow because otherwise a lot of people will suffer.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

May's answer to Bardell over not removing HMRC jobs from Livingston was probably the most dismissive response I've heard from a PM. It was absolutely "gently caress you and your constituency."

Gorn Myson posted:

I know that, I mean that it will become political suicide to accept such a lovely deal once its been negotiated.

Well they just voted to not have a meaningful vote in the houses thus sparing any of the MP's from the consequences of having to vote for it. It's shite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

Against what exactly?
Parsnip quotas.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A rousing slogan for a new generation

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Corbs is getting roasted on twitter.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

WeAreTheRomans posted:

how about if instead i sit here snacking on raisins and contemplating a future in which my delicious imported dried grapes are replaced with flavourful all-british Turnip Bites

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well it looks like the options will be a lovely deal or no deal and WTO standards, so that way the Tories can insist their crappy deal is still not the worst option

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

What did he think was going to happen?

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well it looks like the options will be a lovely deal or no deal and WTO standards, so that way the Tories can insist their crappy deal is still not the worst option
It certainly does appear that way before anyone has actually started talking properly and there's a big "ehhh" sigh of "maybe we can't enact a Morgenthau plan on the Brits" and "maybe our plucky island cannot in fact rely on rhurbabgetti as a trendy food source".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jippa posted:

Is it Tony Blair's fault?

• Locked thread