Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Price is likely headed to the DL.

Also, are there any good baseball podcasts? I'm looking for something entertaining AND informative, and preferably about what's going on in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Twin Cinema posted:

Price is likely headed to the DL.

Also, are there any good baseball podcasts? I'm looking for something entertaining AND informative, and preferably about what's going on in the league.

Effectively Wild is my favorite but it's mostly tangential.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

N: Eddie Rosario just did this in the DR/PR WBC game:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/841822432122032128

V: dragon status: unleashed.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Spoeank posted:

I just started listening to Effectively Wild during this off season (right before Jeff Sullivan joined Ben) and I like it.

Other then that I listen to Birds All Day for Jays banter.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Spoeank posted:

EW is great and recently they answered my question on their email show and it led to a ridiculous tangent about Barry Bonds. What more can I ask for?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/841717552795418624

:golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

So is Cespedes Family BBQ but it's still good

I miss Baseball Today/Keith Law doing podcasts

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

will_colorado posted:

N: Eddie Rosario just did this in the DR/PR WBC game:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/841822432122032128

V: dragon status: unleashed.

Holy poo poo :love: Yadi.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"He's got a hose and he showed it off"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Yadi and Waino tandem interview.

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals/post/_/id/2933/adam-wainwright-and-yadier-molina-go-deep-on-the-state-of-the-cardinal-way

V: They are adorable and I'm pretty sure have played with one another more than any other active pitcher/catcher pair in MLB.

quote:

Molina: We have been together since '04 and he’s like my brother. I’m spending time with him every day here at the ballpark and I’ve learned a lot of things from him.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Rays maybe extending Kiermaier for 6 years 50 million?

Rays spending money?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Let's see how Javy Baez is doing this spring

https://twitter.com/stoolfrederic/status/841863200412991488

Business as usual, I love it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

John Wilkes Booth posted:

EW is great and recently they answered my question on their email show and it led to a ridiculous tangent about Barry Bonds. What more can I ask for?

Was that when they dug up his old like 3-4 year out projections? That was awesome.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Carlosologist posted:

Let's see how Javy Baez is doing this spring

https://twitter.com/stoolfrederic/status/841863200412991488

Business as usual, I love it

Also a big fan of Yadi just devoting 100% of his attention to first base as the pitch is being delivered, followed by an absolute laser.

https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/841865391374782465

A spectacularly ill advised steal attempt

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Spoeank posted:

Was that when they dug up his old like 3-4 year out projections? That was awesome.

No, it was the one about intentional walks. But that was pretty good too.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

xbilkis posted:

Also a big fan of Yadi just devoting 100% of his attention to first base as the pitch is being delivered, followed by an absolute laser.

Both the throw and the tag are spectacular hahahaha. Yadi staring him down, Javy no look. So great.

screaden posted:

Rays spending money?

I am seeing 6yr 53.5mil!

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 15, 2017

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Both the throw and the tag are spectacular hahahaha. Yadi staring him down, Javy no look. So great.

Yeah. That play rules from every possible angle.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

screaden posted:

Rays spending money?

They love spending money to lock people up on cheap long-term contracts. It buys out four arbitration years so they can project their salary outlay better or something.

He missed 60 games last year and still led the league in defensive WAR. The analysts suggest we might see a breakout offensive season out of him but even if not he's still a 26-year-old with a vacuum cleaner in the outfield and an average bat. I'm glad he's not going anywhere.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

They love spending money to lock people up on cheap long-term contracts. It buys out four arbitration years so they can project their salary outlay better or something.

He missed 60 games last year and still led the league in defensive WAR. The analysts suggest we might see a breakout offensive season out of him but even if not he's still a 26-year-old with a vacuum cleaner in the outfield and an average bat. I'm glad he's not going anywhere.

Oh I'm aware of how they operate, and I'm also super glad they're holding on to him

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

Odor punched Bautista because he slid into his leg, not because he flipped a bat

Like a thousand people have slid into SS or 2nd baseman over the past 5 seasons. Thats the last punch I remember.

edit : Odor is an rear end in a top hat. You have to think the punch is atleast in part for Bautista being a really good hitter and the bat flip and his reputation. Odor slides like a bitch into players trying to hurt them all the time. He has no leg to stand on in this one. He's a hothead.

http://i.imgur.com/oliT4z6.gifv

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/650411563229310980/video/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eZJWMELo

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 15, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

patonthebach posted:

Like a thousand people have slid into SS or 2nd baseman over the past 5 seasons. Thats the last punch I remember.

You gotta admit it was a pretty beautiful punch as punches go in major sports though.

I'm still a little annoyed that Bautista claimed it was a sucker punch, there was a shove first after his dirty slide and he was obviously in a stance to throw a punch after that.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Grittybeard posted:

You gotta admit it was a pretty beautiful punch as punches go in major sports though.

I'm still a little annoyed that Bautista claimed it was a sucker punch, there was a shove first after his dirty slide and he was obviously in a stance to throw a punch after that.

Its a sucker punch in the fact that like 99% of all baseball skirmishs involve a whole lot of posturing and dick waving and very rarely more than a shove. So it might have caught him off guard. He got smoked. But it was still a ridiculous over reaction by odor.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsuYIN7y8Ew

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eddie Rosario is Cool and Good

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Bautista is an rear end in a top hat, too. We just don't see it because it doesn't get caught on camera so much. I have heard multiple commentators say he is not well liked around baseball.

N: Cubs are 6-8 in ST so far.

V: Time to panic

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 15, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Rizzo took Szczur's bat not because it was lucky, but because it was shorter and lighter and Rizzo was having issues with fatigue using his normal bat.

quote:

Rizzo’s entire postseason had changed in the fifth inning of NLCS Game 4, when he switched from his Marucci model bat to one that belonged to teammate Matt Szczur. To that point Rizzo was 2 for 26 in the playoffs. The bat, as the story went, was identical to Rizzo’s own model in size and weight but was full of amazing karma. Szczur, an outfielder who wasn’t even on any of the playoff rosters, became a minor national star simply by lending his equipment.

The press ate up the story, but there was one catch: It was built on a white lie.

I pulled Rizzo aside on the eve of the World Series, just after he had finished his media-day obligations at Progressive Field, in which yet again Rizzo led people to believe that his bat and Szczur’s were similar, except for the incredible luck Szczur’s bat brought him. Rizzo made a confession to me, but only after he made me promise it was off the record until the Series was over. I agreed. Szczur’s bat was significantly smaller than his own: one inch shorter and two ounces lighter. Rizzo switched bats not for luck, but as a concession to losing strength and bat speed.

“It allowed me to free up my hands and not have to use my body,” he said. “Because at the end of the year I was so beat, I guess. In the beginning of the playoffs I was missing fastballs. I kept asking myself, Why? My swing is good. It could be psychological, but I think not. But I think taking the extra inch off and lightening my bat, I started to get to those pitches again.”

Rizzo knew that because of the way he struggled early in the playoffs, scouting reports on him would say that his bat was slow and that he could be beaten with fastballs. Meanwhile, with Szczur’s bat, he actually was much quicker to the ball. It was a secret he enjoyed for the final 10 postseason games, during which he hit .432.

The naked motivational Rizzo speeches were also mentioned, but other interesting notes from the book excerpt:

- Chapman threw almost all sliders in the 9th because Montero didn't feel comfortable being able to catch 100+ mph heat (despite Chapman not having that left in the tank)
- Almora knew almost instantly that Davis would catch Bryant's fly in the 10th and that was what enabled him to be in place to tag up
- Game 7 was only the second time in MLB history that a team used 3 catchers and all of them recorded an RBI
- Montero and Montgomery had no idea how to approach pitching to Martinez
- Montgomery was completely gassed from having to warm up multiple times starting in the 3rd inning and didn't throw a single strike warming up in the 10th either in the bullpen or during his 8 warmup pitches

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I thought the length/weight difference between the bats was pretty well-reported at the time?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the length/weight difference between the bats was pretty well-reported at the time?

MLB.com reported at the time it was the same weight but had a slightly different barrel and handle.

E: From the LA Times:

quote:

Rizzo, mired in a two-for-29, nine-strikeout playoff slump, crushed a full-count Baez fastball over the center-field wall for a solo home run.

He used Szczur’s bat again in the sixth, when his laser of a two-run single to center keyed a five-run inning, and in the eighth, when he singled to left, part of a 13-hit outburst that propelled the Cubs to a 10-2 victory that evened the best-of-seven series against the Dodgers, two games apiece.

“He’s done that a few times, grabbed my bat,” Szczur said. “It’s the same weight and size, just a different model. So he just grabbed one.”

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 15, 2017

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I always want to dislike Yadier Molina seeing as he's on the Cardinals and kills the Cubs, but he is so drat cool and good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

N: Cubs are 6-8 in ST so far.

V: Time to panic

I'm sure this is a joke but I think we went 11-19 last season.

CubsWoo posted:

- Chapman threw almost all sliders in the 9th because Montero didn't feel comfortable being able to catch 100+ mph heat (despite Chapman not having that left in the tank)

I don't believe this for a single loving nanosecond

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/841865391374782465

A spectacularly ill advised steal attempt

Yadier Molina is awesome and good and I have always liked him, this is a Hot Take from forums poster Tom Gorman.

I expect backlash but these are my true feelings SAS.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

Yadier Molina is awesome and good and I have always liked him, this is a Hot Take from forums poster Tom Gorman.

He's awesome but that was the dumbest steal I've seen in a long time.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man, I forgot how much Maddon went crazy with his pitchers in Game 7. I get win or go home, but that was just insane

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

I just wish he weren't a St Louis Cardinal.

My father-in-law's hot take is that Molina is bad and always has been and just gets credit for normal catcher poo poo because he's a mainstay on a popular team :rolleye:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

I always want to dislike Yadier Molina seeing as he's on the Cardinals and kills the Cubs, but he is so drat cool and good.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

CubsWoo posted:

- Montgomery was completely gassed from having to warm up multiple times starting in the 3rd inning and didn't throw a single strike warming up in the 10th either in the bullpen or during his 8 warmup pitches

Maddon really didn't trust anybody but Chapman or Montgomery out of the pen, huh? Guess it makes sense giving Rondon/Strop never fully came back from injury, Grimm was inconsistent, and Wood's arm had fallen off by that point. Not going to complain too much since a) we won, and b) the Indians were infinitely more beat up/injured, but our bullpen was a mess come the postseason.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

Maddon really didn't trust anybody but Chapman or Montgomery out of the pen, huh? Guess it makes sense giving Rondon/Strop never fully came back from injury, Grimm was inconsistent, and Wood's arm had fallen off by that point. Not going to complain too much since a) we won, and b) the Indians were infinitely more beat up/injured, but our bullpen was a mess come the postseason.

He recently said it was the injuries Rondon and Strop were fighting with. I was glad it wasn't just him losing faith in them over nothing. I think the whole team was pretty tight-lipped during the post-season because :ssh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Everyone here knows my thoughts and feelings on Yadi. I welcome all of you to the Church of the Stupid Neck Tattoos and Amazing Defense.

E: To all you reluctant Cubs fan converts, go back and watch the David Ross game. Watch Yadi make time at each AB to make sure Ross got an ovation. Yadi is wonderful.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

man, I forgot how much Maddon went crazy with his pitchers in Game 7. I get win or go home, but that was just insane

It worked out, but I think that was just happenstance because that was garbage bullpen management.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:siren:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/842067901918130180

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

Bautista is an rear end in a top hat, too. We just don't see it because it doesn't get caught on camera so much. I have heard multiple commentators say he is not well liked around baseball.

Don't want to get into the reasons for this cause it's a can of worms but he's well liked by his teammates so that's all that should count.

• Locked thread