Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

No way, Akko's character screams plucky working-class underdog. It's way more likely that Luna Nova began to act on their waning enrollment far too late, and by the time they opened their doors to those outside the tradition, the rest of the world had lost interest in magic except for one particular die-hard Shiny Chariot fanatic.

Indeed. I liked the Akko-is-loaded fan theory because I thought it was funny and interesting and could make for some interesting commentary, but that's not really the type of story LWA is telling.

Just as I don't seriously think LWA is a critique of the British educational system through the medium of magical school fiction, which is a shame because that show would've been hilarious, but really not the kind of thing Trigger is equipped to tell regardless of how talented they are. Very fun to make jokes about Ofsted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm kind of sad we're getting bog-standard romance stuff with Andrew and Akko.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Command Ant posted:

That Akira reference with Lotte really caught me off guard. :eek:

I just finished binge watching all ten eps and this was the part that stuck out to me the most (probably because I just watched Akira again a few days ago.) That episode was so drat good. I can't even imagine the number of references in there total. I counted Dexter's Lab, Akira, Spirited Away, Sleeping Beauty, and the early animation stuff. I'm sure there were a lot more.

I agree I'd like to see things move a little faster, mostly with Ursula's Worst Kept Secret, but this is definitely just as good as a series as it was in the films.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

El Burbo posted:

At least there was the one scene that shows Sucy really treasures meeting Akko
I caught up with the last few episodes, watching backwards and this particular scene kinda made the episode IMO. Akko goes from annoyed at how goofy she's represented in Sucy's memories, to laughing at it too (which speaks well to her character), then their first meeting appears and it turns out it has become of Sucy's most precious memories.

It's sickeningly sweet- particularly if you realize that the interpretation of Sucy's goofy memories of Akko is that Sucy thinks she's a hoot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I liked that the part with Akko telling Andrew to stop being a knob and follow his dreams instead of being Dad 2.0 was good because it shows that Akko isn't always a ditz who gets in over her head.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm the mouse cursor on Diana's necklace

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I liked that the part with Akko telling Andrew to stop being a knob and follow his dreams instead of being Dad 2.0 was good because it shows that Akko isn't always a ditz who gets in over her head.
To be fair considering Andrew can play the piano very well, he's at least privately on the "gently caress you dad" track.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

diana gay, so what

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The seeming insistence of Trigger on loving with the shippers is probably one of the better things about the show.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurora posted:

I'm kind of sad we're getting bog-standard romance stuff with Andrew and Akko.

It'd be a cool swerve if it heads down that way but resolves in a surprising way, like Akko turning him down or them getting together relatively soon and having an actual relationship throughout the second half. I too will be a little disappointed if it plays out purely by the numbers, but that's half just wanting something different from anime romance and half expecting something different because it's Trigger.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Roth posted:

My favorite part of the episode was Frank taking a genuine interest in Lotte. That was pretty cute.

DrSunshine posted:

The whole episode was super cute. Frank being into Lotte, the girls' frilly Cinderella dresses, and that "Eeep!:cry:" sound that Akko made everytime someone fell in fake-love with her.

The scene at the fountain was really good too. Somebody - probably Yoshinari - you can tell, really loves making Akko move. It was really dynamically animated!

EDIT: Also, Andrew reading Orwell's 1984. That was pretty good!
I loved everything about it, especially those parts.

I also love that Not Chumlee is now a decent recurring character.

Axel Serenity posted:

I agree I'd like to see things move a little faster, mostly with Ursula's Worst Kept Secret, but this is definitely just as good as a series as it was in the films.
I get the feeling that at least some of the teachers know, but it's a secret from the students. Probably the teachers who were around when she was a student.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I also love that Not Chumlee is now a decent recurring character.

I hope the real Chumlee voices him in the dub, just like how the guy's actual VA is Chumlee in the Japanese dub of Pawn Stars.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
:allears:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i forgot the other best part of this ep: every time akko did her little non-scream

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the best part of this episode is sucy

this is also the best part of every other episode

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rodyle posted:

the best part of this episode is sucy

this is also the best part of every other episode

"You're so fun to mess with, Akko! Kihihihi!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why are they friends

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

why are they friends

I don't know about you, but the people I mess the most with are my friends.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hoobajoo posted:

It'd be a cool swerve if it heads down that way but resolves in a surprising way, like Akko turning him down or them getting together relatively soon and having an actual relationship throughout the second half. I too will be a little disappointed if it plays out purely by the numbers, but that's half just wanting something different from anime romance and half expecting something different because it's Trigger.

You know, if this anime moved at Kill la Kill speed, they'd be divorced by now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

You know, if this anime moved at Kill la Kill speed, they'd be divorced by now.

But if it moved at Luluco speeds, Akko would have become the greatest of a new generation of witches, died, resurrected herself in the past to inspire Shiny Chariot in the first place, before being stopped by Sucy, now revealed as the secret founder of Luna Nova, whose secret plan revolves around turning Andrew into a puppet prime minister, impossible with a public so well aware of magic. The duel between Akko and Sucy would only be stopped by Constanze revealing she built the entire school into a robot just to counter such an event.

And in the second episode...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TFRazorsaw posted:

why are they friends

It's a friendship built on a mutual love of crime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh also Maleficent Sucy was God-drat amazing.
:magical:
I love how she just glided across the screen, hunched over

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone I know is saying that LWA takes zero inspiration from Harry Potter.

As I have next to no functional knowledge of Harry Potter, allow me to ask the thread:

On a scale of 1-10, how inspired do you think LWA was by Harry Potter.

I'd like to know so I can try to ascertain if this person is the only person on earth who thinks this or if there are others who somehow think LWA isn't HP as all hell. (because it quite obviously is)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

As I have next to no functional knowledge of Harry Potter, allow me to ask the thread:

I'd like to know so I can try to ascertain if this person is the only person on earth who thinks this or if there are others who somehow think LWA isn't HP as all hell. (because it quite obviously is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMhz8nPPTI

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

You can make a compelling argument that it owes a lot more to The Worst Witch, at least, though there's definitely some visual inspiration from the HP films (Professor Finneran in particular has an unmistakable touch of Alan Rickman to her).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this registers around 8

Darth Walrus posted:

You can make a compelling argument that it owes a lot more to The Worst Witch, at least, though there's definitely some visual inspiration from the HP films (Professor Finneran in particular has an unmistakable touch of Alan Rickman to her).

this is probably around a 5

I miss Alan Rickman :smith:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's obviously some inspiration there, it's a British high school for magic, but I don't think the similarity goes way beyond that and HP didn't invent it. HP doesn't have any of this show's subtext about the uselessness of magic, and this show doesn't have any of (later) HP's subtext about racism and classism. Even ignoring the thematic level, this show doesn't have an overarching villain (so far) or a hero fated to withstand him. In fact they don't even seem to have a concept of "black magic", for all that necromancy is forbidden our heroes just lately resurrected a corpse for a gag episode. I'd say it's like a 3 or 4 out of ten.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

"Loliconics"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ironically (since HP was compared to this a lot, and incorrectly) LWA is more like Earthsea than Harry Potter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, read through this. There's some pretty striking similarities. In particular, the main trio owe a lot more to Mildred, Maud, and Enid than they do to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, read through this. There's some pretty striking similarities. In particular, the main trio owe a lot more to Mildred, Maud, and Enid than they do to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Akko is no Mildred. Mildred is simply clumsy, and just wants to be a normal, average witch. Ethel is a genuinely nasty person who is the antagonist in the series.

Like I said, Akko is more like Ged from Earthsea, someone who wants to fast track to Greatest Wizard but is undermined by their childishness.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Akko has shown zero aptitude for magic except for speaking fish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Akko is no Mildred. Mildred is simply clumsy, and just wants to be a normal, average witch. Ethel is a genuinely nasty person who is the antagonist in the series.

Like I said, Akko is more like Ged from Earthsea, someone who wants to fast track to Greatest Wizard but is undermined by their childishness.

Enid Nightshade, not Ethel Hallow. Diana is a (much) more sympathetic spin on Ethel.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Being chosen by the Shiny staff is pretty significant. Like Ursula puts it, she mainly falls down because she's being compared to the other students who have been doing this for years and years, but knowing she literally knew no magic a few months ago, being able to throw out repair magic, transformation magic, trigger the cinderella artifact without a hitch, (accidentally) raise the dead... those are significant things.

Darth Walrus posted:

Enid Nightshade, not Ethel Hallow. Diana is a (much) more sympathetic spin on Ethel.

My point is that Diana isn't much like Ethel at all. The Worst Witch books are basically driven by Ethel's emnity.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe LWA is based on Dune

Earthsea is a huge stretch though imo. LWA doesn't take place in a secondary world or propose premodern civilizations where magic is widespread. And Akko is DEFINITELY no Ged.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's definitely getting better judging by how she didn't gently caress up the transformation spell like the last episode with Andrew. Akko started learning magic from zero whereas the rest of the school probably had at least some amount of magical exposure and training

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway, regardless of how we interpret Akko, I think we can probably agree the school is way more The School of Magic at Roke than either Hogwarts or Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches?

quote:

"Roke is no longer where the power is in Earthsea. That's the Court in Havnor, now. Roke lives on its great past, defended by a thousand spells against the present day. And inside those spell-walls, what is there? Quarreling ambitions, fear of anything new, fear of young men who challenge the power of the old. And at the center, nothing. An empty courtyard. The Archmage will never return"

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fangz posted:

Being chosen by the Shiny staff is pretty significant. Like Ursula puts it, she mainly falls down because she's being compared to the other students who have been doing this for years and years, but knowing she literally knew no magic a few months ago, being able to throw out repair magic, transformation magic, trigger the cinderella artifact without a hitch, (accidentally) raise the dead... those are significant things.

Being the chosen one is much more like being Harry than anything else. Harry, in fact was not really terribly good at much magic except for flying a broom. His grades were always below average in most classes and was thrown into the wizarding world at a much later age than all of his classmates. He was only comparable to the rest of the wizards and witches because he had his unusually powerful artifacts like the sword, phoenix wand (comparable to the staff Akko gets) , and a couple of teachers who would surreptitiously bail him out from time to time (Snape/Dumbledore/Ursula).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I compared LWA with HP in what if HP didn't have Voldemort and Harry got to live a happy life with his still alive parents but still got on adventures with Ron and Hermione.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Being the chosen one is much more like being Harry than anything else. Harry, in fact was not really terribly good at much magic except for flying a broom. His grades were always below average in most classes and was thrown into the wizarding world at a much later age than all of his classmates. He was only comparable to the rest of the wizards and witches because he had his unusually powerful artifacts like the sword, phoenix wand (comparable to the staff Akko gets) , and a couple of teachers who would surreptitiously bail him out from time to time (Snape/Dumbledore/Ursula).

Not completely accurate, there are some plot important "difficult" spells that only Harry shows aptitude for (Patronus); and Harry comes off as really good at passing his knowledge back to his classmates (Dumbledore's Army).

Then also if he's taught correctly he's very quick to pick up difficult spells/potions like from Snape's notebook.

• Locked thread