Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blue Train posted:

I wanna say this is a ROM thing and not there by default, also not in developer options

Nope, there's a toggle in developer options for sRGB mode which is warmer. 100% stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sRGB mode on the new phone is about the same as regular on the old one. sRGB on the old one is warmer than sRGB on the new one.

Weird.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yep

After using it for around a month, I have to say I like it better than Groove music. Especially since Groove is still trying to catch up to what Zune Music had ages ago, and since it still has weird connectivity issues randomly that continues to piss me off at random times. Though the explorer function is getting better, it continues to always have crap music that I would never listen to as the Most Popular/Recommended for you playlist.

Spotify does this a little too but is better at making a correct random playlist based off actual past played music.
Oh. You just mean play music subscription. I've had that since day 1 (@$7.99 still).

Blue Train posted:

Saying ok Google play if I had million dollars plays the search results for "if I had a million dollars," which does not include barenaked ladies because that is titled "if I had $1,000,000." Saying ok Google play *playlist name* performs a search for that string, shows the playlist at the top of the results, and doesn't play it
If I tell my PXL to "play 'if I had a million dollars" it asks which music app... and then shuffles Barenaked Ladies... without starting on that song. Seriously :wtf: Google.

Endless Mike posted:

I would 100% bet that Apple requires the USB hub to supply enough power to use constant data and GPS and still charge.
Isn't the factory iPhone 7 charger only 5W?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 15, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think I cracked it. Tell it to play track "song name"

It still creates a playlist, but it starts with the song.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does Assistant's music stuff only work for streaming with a subscription account? I told assistant to "play album Songs for the Deaf" the other day and it said "playing music" and opened up GPM but didn't play anything or even open the album. I have the album pinned to my phone, and do not have a GPM subscription because it's not something I have any use for.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Oh. You just mean play music subscription. I've had that since day 1 (@$7.99 still).

If I tell my PXL to "play 'if I had a million dollars" it asks which music app... and then shuffles Barenaked Ladies... without starting on that song. Seriously :wtf: Google.

Just tested this song with that exact quote on my Google Home, and it started playing the song exactly.

Gotta love the Assistant Consistency between device platforms right? :v:

^You can use assistant to play something close to what you want to play with a free subscription, but it is a little less direct from what I found, similar to Spotify Free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Isn't the factory iPhone 7 charger only 5W?
Yeah, but that's still more than the USB 2 spec allows for.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thermopyle posted:

Mazda announced they'll be supporting Android Auto, and a Mazda spokesperson hinted that they'll have an upgrade path for current Mazdas with Mazda Connect.

Phone posting so no link for you.

I hope they support the 2016 models. I got a 2016 Mazda 6 and the bluetooth support in the car has been absolutely great, but I never use the navigation stuff. They had sent me a survey and I made drat sure to mark that I wanted Android Auto.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nalin posted:

I hope they support the 2016 models. I got a 2016 Mazda 6 and the bluetooth support in the car has been absolutely great, but I never use the navigation stuff. They had sent me a survey and I made drat sure to mark that I wanted Android Auto.

I have the same car and while AA support is exciting, I don't see myself plugging the phone into usb often enough to use it. I guess it will depend entirely on your use case and how much you use Google Maps vs the built in navigation. I still want it just to say I have it of course, but given the fact that the long term support for in-car infotainment systems is somewhere in the vicinity of an American variant Galaxy S1, I won't be holding my breath.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but that's still more than the USB 2 spec allows for.

USB 2 spec is 17 years old

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Taffer posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*

Lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Wanna hear a funny story?

I dropped my Nexus 5 and shattered its screen in August. I had the screen replaced the same day, then two days later I dropped the phone again and broke the screen again, this time a neat single fracture that goes across the bottom third of the screen. "No biggie, I can get by the couple of months until google releases the pixel." :owned:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Just got a refurbished Pixel to replace my original after I cracked the screen. First phone I broke ever. Anyway, the new one seems to have a cooler color temperature to the display. Seems a bit on the blue side compared to my old one. Haptic feedback is a little different too when typing.

Is this variation normal?

I can't speak to the Pixel but I can say that any time I've had a phone of any model that I used for a while then switched to another of the same model, it's always varied in those ways. Not something anyone would notice unless they'd been using one example extensively for a bit then had it switched, but certainly not the same. Screen colors and vibration seem to be the two things that you can just tell if it's a little off from what you're accustomed to.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Smythe posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*

Lol :discourse:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taffer posted:

Well, it's more than USB 3 allows for, too, but my point is that if a car manufacturer includes USB ports built to spec, it's entirely possible they won't supply enough power to use GPS and data while charging. I recall people running into this with Galaxy Nexuses (though that was also with screen on). Apple probably requires non-spec ports that can supply enough power when presented with an iPhone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Well, it's more than USB 3 allows for, too, but my point is that if a car manufacturer includes USB ports built to spec, it's entirely possible they won't supply enough power to use GPS and data while charging. I recall people running into this with Galaxy Nexuses (though that was also with screen on). Apple probably requires non-spec ports that can supply enough power when presented with an iPhone.

My Galaxy Nexus would slowly lose charge while when plugged in and using Google Maps navigation with the screen on, even with a big charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. Additionally, it would overheat and stop charging altogether when doing this while in the sun on my dashboard. I would have to put it in the shade and reboot it before it would charge again. At one point, I had it mounted on the air conditioning vent.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Smythe posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*

Lol drat

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

FogHelmut posted:

Additionally, it would overheat and stop charging altogether when doing this while in the sun on my dashboard. I would have to put it in the shade and reboot it before it would charge again. At one point, I had it mounted on the air conditioning vent.

I've seen an HTC Desire and Galaxy S3 do this too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/15/google-sending-android-7-0-ota-update-nexus-6-phones-running-7-1-1/

Apparently, Google is pushing the 7.0 OTA to Nexus 6s running 7.1.1. At first it started just with T-Mobile customers but moved to Fi as well. This is causing the whole to just absolutely poo poo not only the bed but the floor and probably the carpet too. The only fix is seems to be a reinstall of 7.1.1 and wiping of personal data in the process.

Android Police has decided that using Lineage OS is better than the default Android on the 6 at this point thanks to problems like 7.0 taking forever to get to the 6, when it DID hit it broke the speakerphone, and the March update to 7.1.1 broke Android Pay and breaks SafetyNet (Google re-released the March security OTA and disabled SafetyNet just so Android Pay would work).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Smythe posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*
Oh My

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Smythe posted:

*Tokai's ears perk up*

A bridge too far for me. What is this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tokai was a hella old goon who ended up being banned for being a paedophile apologist/defender

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Skarsnik posted:

Tokai was a hella old goon who ended up being banned for being a paedophile apologist/defender

What a sad strange hill to die on.

All over an MMO everyone has forgotten already. :sad:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FogHelmut posted:

My Galaxy Nexus would slowly lose charge while when plugged in and using Google Maps navigation with the screen on, even with a big charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. Additionally, it would overheat and stop charging altogether when doing this while in the sun on my dashboard. I would have to put it in the shade and reboot it before it would charge again. At one point, I had it mounted on the air conditioning vent.

Agreed, Galaxy Nexus owned.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What a sad strange hill to die on.

All over an MMO everyone has forgotten already. :sad:

Well they may have actually died by now, though not on a hill necessarily.. They'd be well into their 70s

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Checking out LegionOS on my old Sprint LG G3 since its stuck in Lolipop land (5.0.1 not even 5.1).

Have to say it is immensely better than CM was last I checked, will have to see if they fixed the sleep of death and camera issues and It may actually bee a phone worth giving/selling to someone I actually know.

I do miss this things design. The screen is subpar now but back then that 1440P + small bezels + rear buttons was pretty dang amazing.

Really wish LG would have waited and brought over the LG G3 LTE A or whatever one that had a 805 in it. Would have been a lot better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's another Google messaging app http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/15/supersonic-emoji-messaging/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

trash

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Checking out LegionOS on my old Sprint LG G3 since its stuck in Lolipop land (5.0.1 not even 5.1).

Have to say it is immensely better than CM was last I checked, will have to see if they fixed the sleep of death and camera issues and It may actually bee a phone worth giving/selling to someone I actually know.

I do miss this things design. The screen is subpar now but back then that 1440P + small bezels + rear buttons was pretty dang amazing.

Really wish LG would have waited and brought over the LG G3 LTE A or whatever one that had a 805 in it. Would have been a lot better.

Just curious - do you get acceptable audio out of the headphone jack? My G3 had so much hiss and electrical noise that it wasn't usable, and judging by XDA this seemed to be a fairly common hardware issue.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge. I have been getting delayed texts, either 12, 24 or 36 hours later. I mean exactly 12, 24 or 36 hours later (to the minute!). I've rebooted my phone, and I just updated the PRL and profile just in case that has something to do with it. I'm not on wifi and normally have good to excellent coverage in my house. Is this a thing anybody else has encountered?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Probably a carrier problem rather than the phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge. I have been getting delayed texts, either 12, 24 or 36 hours later. I mean exactly 12, 24 or 36 hours later (to the minute!). I've rebooted my phone, and I just updated the PRL and profile just in case that has something to do with it. I'm not on wifi and normally have good to excellent coverage in my house. Is this a thing anybody else has encountered?

Blue Train is right, this has to be a carrier thing. Your data connection is irrelevant unless you're using something oddball like Fi or Google Voice, SMS comes over the voice channel.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/15/google-sending-android-7-0-ota-update-nexus-6-phones-running-7-1-1/

Apparently, Google is pushing the 7.0 OTA to Nexus 6s running 7.1.1. At first it started just with T-Mobile customers but moved to Fi as well. This is causing the whole to just absolutely poo poo not only the bed but the floor and probably the carpet too. The only fix is seems to be a reinstall of 7.1.1 and wiping of personal data in the process.

Android Police has decided that using Lineage OS is better than the default Android on the 6 at this point thanks to problems like 7.0 taking forever to get to the 6, when it DID hit it broke the speakerphone, and the March update to 7.1.1 broke Android Pay and breaks SafetyNet (Google re-released the March security OTA and disabled SafetyNet just so Android Pay would work).

Google's official response:

quote:

There was a recent OTA update for Android 7.0 that is causing confusion for some Nexus 6 users. For those of you that want to guarantee future OTA updates, you will need to get back on the 7.0 supported track. If you are experiencing issues after accepting the 7.0 update, please factory reset your device to help resolve any problems.
For any Nexus 6 users that want to continue flashing/sideloading future builds, you can stay on 7.1.1 and continue to do so.
Hope this clarifies! Nexus Community Manager

Basically, if you have a Nexus 6 and want to continue receiving OTAs, you must rollback to Android 7.0. But if you're ALREADY on 7.1.1, you will be able to sideload updates and you will not receive future OTA updates.

The Nexus 6 supposedly isn't getting 7.1.2 or anything like that so I guess they're just talking about security updates? Or something?

People are pissed and confused since I think this is the first time Google has ever officially done a rollback on Android. Also, I guess this means that the Nexus 6 is now unofficially on Android 7.1.1 and it stops at 7.0 instead of stopping at 7.1.1.

Who knows!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Evaluating a £1100 ($1350) phone for work this week...

It came in a wonderfully understated brown box. It's got some pretty nice features, as you might hope. Warm-swap batteries with options up to 6400mAh, dual sim, a multi-mode capacitive/resistive/active-stylus hybrid screen for all weather use. It also has incredibly loud speakers. Android is basically vanilla with a couple of device specific config and demo apps for the hardware features.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReelBigLizard posted:

Evaluating a £1100 ($1350) phone for work this week...

It came in a wonderfully understated brown box. It's got some pretty nice features, as you might hope. Warm-swap batteries with options up to 6400mAh, dual sim, a multi-mode capacitive/resistive/active-stylus hybrid screen for all weather use. It also has incredibly loud speakers. Android is basically vanilla with a couple of device specific config and demo apps for the hardware features.

Expandable storage?

Other than that... sugoiiiiiii~

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's got SD card expansion. It's also got NFC and a full 2D bar/qr-code scanner on the back with crosshair lasers and everything. My client wants to use it for flight/freight crew operations. The 100db speakers are a big selling point on that front, as is the multi-mic setup designed for high noise environments.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panasonic FZ-N1: Share your animes with as many people as you can for as long as you can.

For the connoisseur who's on the road a lot.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Probably a carrier problem rather than the phone

LastInLine posted:

Blue Train is right, this has to be a carrier thing. Your data connection is irrelevant unless you're using something oddball like Fi or Google Voice, SMS comes over the voice channel.

Cool, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Panasonic FZ-N1: Share your animes with as many people as you can for as long as you can.

For the connoisseur who's on the road a lot.

It even has the comically oversized rubber case favored by on the road a lot guys built in!