Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Firebert posted:

I mean the entirety of the Mass Effect trilogy culminating with Rannoch and the defeat of the Reapers at Earth was the counter-example. It's not like Shepard decided the Reapers were right and let humanity be liquified unless you chose reject.

I don't think the point of that ending was that Shepard acknowledged the Reapers were correct so much as he was spiting them for their manipulations and choosing not to play along, even if it meant self-destruction. I think that was one of the endings added after the fact in response to complaints that Shepard just played along with the dilemma even if the player had a more "gently caress you" mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Did Joker's hat become sentient when it was turned in to a robot? Is it forever part of his body now? Does it feel pain? Does the robo-hat need a hat to keep the sun out of it's eyes?

Only in the original ending, I think they changed it in the patch. Could Joker hurt his skull putting on that hat?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Does the hat need the skull?

Endless questions...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FunkMonkey posted:

I don't think the point of that ending was that Shepard acknowledged the Reapers were correct so much as he was spiting them for their manipulations and choosing not to play along, even if it meant self-destruction. I think that was one of the endings added after the fact in response to complaints that Shepard just played along with the dilemma even if the player had a more "gently caress you" mentality.
That ending should've been Shepard chewing a cigar, grunting "you REAP what you SOW", and then pushing a dynamite plunger. Fade to white.

Art.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why did the giant reaper terminator need soylent green to work?

I should stop thinking about the plot of the ME games. I'm starting to remember all of the realy dumb poo poo.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

RIP, I was an idiot and pre-ordered the game way back when, so now I can't get the 10% discount from Origin Access. I even contacted their support to see if I could get a credit on my account, but no dice.

You should be able to refund the game since it's not out yet. I think they do refunds up to 48 hours after purchase OR game release (whichever is later).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Control ending, with the player character named "Shepard" who has been essentially playing god throughout all 3 games and ultimately replaces a machine race that harvests organic life every 50,000 years named "reapers," is so freaking brilliant that it must have been purely by accident.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The Control ending, with the player character named "Shepard" who has been essentially playing god throughout all 3 games and ultimately replaces a machine race that harvests organic life every 50,000 years named "reapers," is so freaking brilliant that it must have been purely by accident.

That was actually a decent ending, I agree. A broken clock is right twice a day, I suppose.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You should be able to refund the game since it's not out yet. I think they do refunds up to 48 hours after purchase OR game release (whichever is later).

I actually looked that up while chatting with the service rep because I thought it was dumb that he couldn't give me the credit. It turns out that: Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.

So basically never pre-order games ever.

EDIT: Also they charged my card like a week ago.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just saw the first hour or so of the game and well, it certainly isn't Mass Effect as of yet. Though it might have a slow burn like ME2 and 3 did.

The only thing that really properly bothered me about it, because I tend not to care about animations, was the shooting. It felt like weaponry had very little impact despite being integral to winning fights, like you were poking away at their health rather than actually hurting enemies.

Oh, and the extremely boring humans. But I knew humans were going to be boring one way or the other.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's a really lovely policy and discourages preordering until the last minute

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

'Destroy' isn't a manipulation. It does what the Crucible was designed to do - wipe out all Reaper tech in the galaxy (the choice you are given is between activating the Crucible 'as designed' or one of two other options the crazy genocidal AI thinks you might find acceptable).

It's just that as the Reaper points out, there's Reaper tech in more than just Reapers.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

How did the ship get past the Reapers to get to Andromeda?
The Reapers are pretty bad at wiping out sentient life if you can just sneak a ship past them. Why didn't they just put a bunch of people on these ships and send them out all over?
Maybe they did and that's the plot of the game!
Maybe I am putting too much thought into an ugly mess of a poop-game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't think the Reapers have the entire intergalactic space covered, dude

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Nazzadan posted:

The Reapers are pretty bad at wiping out sentient life if you can just sneak a ship past them. Why didn't they just put a bunch of people on these ships and send them out all over?

They're just purging their own little walled garden.

I mean, the Andromeda ship ends up going to a galaxy that's full of life anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nazzadan posted:

Maybe the Reapers were coming from another direction.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Laffo, the service rep offered me a discount code to make up for it. Yeah sure, dude, there's so many games on Origin that I'd actually be willing to buy, thanks :colbert: I was previously in the 'Eh, if people want to pre-order, let them pre-order' camp, but I definitely realize how dumb that way of thinking is now.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I actually looked that up while chatting with the service rep because I thought it was dumb that he couldn't give me the credit. It turns out that: Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.

So basically never pre-order games ever.

EDIT: Also they charged my card like a week ago.

Erg ok. That sucks man. I didn't think the process was that stupid.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Alchenar posted:

'Destroy' isn't a manipulation. It does what the Crucible was designed to do - wipe out all Reaper tech in the galaxy (the choice you are given is between activating the Crucible 'as designed' or one of two other options the crazy genocidal AI thinks you might find acceptable).

It's just that as the Reaper points out, there's Reaper tech in more than just Reapers.

Yeah, like in literally every FTL drive core. All mass effect field tech is Reaper in origin.

I do wish instead it was a trick planted by the Reapers that just drew all the opposing fleets together and brought them to the Reapers. Like a reverse Trojan Horse.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Nazzadan posted:

Space is really big, dude. Really big.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nordick posted:

I don't think the Reapers have the entire intergalactic space covered, dude

I'm making only very vague recollections here, but I think the Reapers were confined to their own Spooky Zone between galaxies and couldn't exit it outside of very specific circumstances.

Alchenar posted:

I guess the manipulation was "we think organic/synthetic conflict is the pits, and have been committing genocide on races for millenia without ever explaining why until now. Now enact our enforced evolutionary plan, or we'll crump yas."

I could be misremembering. It's been a long time since I played it.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Also I thought Reapers hibernate while in dark space.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
As far as we can tell the Reapers really have no rules except what was needed in the story at the time of writing. The Codex can say all the poo poo it wants but at this point it's just a drunk fisherman at the bar that totally saw a monster eat his biggest haul yet.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Plus the Reapers are programmed to kill everything in the galaxy, if they found the arks outside the galaxy they'd just be like "Welp Jim, they're outside our jurisdiction now, nothin' we can do"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm making only very vague recollections here, but I think the Reapers were confined to their own Spooky Zone between galaxies and couldn't exit it outside of very specific circumstances.
I don't think so. As far as I remember they hid out there because they didn't want to be discovered mid-cycle, they could come back whenever they wanted though.

They actually ended up slowboating it because Shepard hosed up Sov's plans to open the Citadel relay. edit: that's why Harbinger was so cranky!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

DO IT TO IT posted:

Also I thought Reapers hibernate while in dark space.

The ship in Andromeda left between 2 and 3 I thought, when the Reapers were awake on on their way.

I'm totally nitpicking though, I admit it so I'll just stop.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Watching goons do this same loop with every big name game is funny. something something cycle that always repeats. anyway about the trial :

quote:

Enjoy up to 10 hours of trial time
Windows pre-load date: March 15, 2017 2:30 PM PDT
Windows release date: March 15, 2017 2:30 PM PDT
preload time and the release time are the same i guess?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Just saw the first hour or so of the game and well, it certainly isn't Mass Effect as of yet. Though it might have a slow burn like ME2 and 3 did.

The only thing that really properly bothered me about it, because I tend not to care about animations, was the shooting. It felt like weaponry had very little impact despite being integral to winning fights, like you were poking away at their health rather than actually hurting enemies.

Oh, and the extremely boring humans. But I knew humans were going to be boring one way or the other.

ME2 and 3.... slow burn? Mass Effect 1 sure. That's a plodding game that turns into a wild loving ride once you hit about 2/3rds and go to Virmire. Virmire to the ending of Mass Effect 1 is loving amazing though. Mass Effect 2 is masterfully paced. Mass Effect 3 couldn't really decide on a pace and is the worse for it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Nordick posted:

Plus the Reapers are programmed to kill everything in the galaxy, if they found the arks outside the galaxy they'd just be like "Welp Jim, they're outside our jurisdiction now, nothin' we can do"

They're AI, not algorithms.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mass Effect Archives: Download some faces, and maybe a soundtrack I guess?

On the soundtrack:
+5 points for a neat blend of orchestral and electronica
-10 for the lack of a Faunts-like credits song

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

How embarrassed is the Andromeda crew going to be when they find out the Milky Way's Reaper threat was defeated and they left for no reason.
I hope that is at least mentioned, could be a potentially funny scene if written correctly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zoran posted:

Space is really big, dude. Really big.

This is the entire reason people in the Milky Way Galaxy don't find Reapers in the first place. Not just that they're hibernating or whatever, but because even building-sized objects are really, REALLY difficult to spot in space in any meaningful way. The only reason the Citadel races keep finding the Citadel (beyond most relays pointing towards it) is that it is lit up and constantly broadcasting docking signals, as I recall. So yeah, no reason the Andromeda ships would get spotted unless they were doing some spectacularly crazy stuff with their weaponry.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

How embarrassed is the Andromeda crew going to be when they find out the Milky Way's Reaper threat was defeated and they left for no reason.
I hope that is at least mentioned, could be a potentially funny scene if written correctly.

They didn't leave because of reapers because if they had then bioware couldn't actually reset that shitpile of a plotline.

They left because of the ~spirit of adventure~

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i think a 1060 is way more horsepower than you need to run it at decent settings but, uh, a 750ti is pretty old and not too great to begin with

It can play a lot of things just fine, but it's also within my budget for new graphics cards. I can't afford these 700 graphics cards when I have more important things to buy like a working car or paying my loans :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AngryBooch posted:

ME2 and 3.... slow burn? Mass Effect 1 sure. That's a plodding game that turns into a wild loving ride once you hit about 2/3rds and go to Virmire. Virmire to the ending of Mass Effect 1 is loving amazing though. Mass Effect 2 is masterfully paced. Mass Effect 3 couldn't really decide on a pace and is the worse for it.

Mass Effect 2 has some of the best pacing in any game ever made. In the two hours it's been taking people to complete Andromeda's plodding intro mission, Shepard in ME2 was killed, resurrected, escaped a Cerberus facility, met TIM and Miranda, met Tali and uncovered the Collector plot, and touched down on Omega to recruit Mordin. Every game should aspire to have an opening as tight as ME2's.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They didn't leave because of reapers because if they had then bioware couldn't actually reset that shitpile of a plotline.

They left because of the ~spirit of adventure~

Oh really? I thought they were a contingency plan for if the Reapers won. Ignore me then.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They're AI, not algorithms.
Your face is an AI

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nordick posted:

Ah yes, the Dukes of Hazard clause.

Nazzadan posted:

I'd be much more happy if a Control-ending Shepard crashes through out of nowhere with his posse. "I'M STILL RELEVANT. I'M STILL RELEVAAAAAAAAAANT."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

evilmiera posted:

This is the entire reason people in the Milky Way Galaxy don't find Reapers in the first place. Not just that they're hibernating or whatever, but because even building-sized objects are really, REALLY difficult to spot in space in any meaningful way. The only reason the Citadel races keep finding the Citadel (beyond most relays pointing towards it) is that it is lit up and constantly broadcasting docking signals, as I recall. So yeah, no reason the Andromeda ships would get spotted unless they were doing some spectacularly crazy stuff with their weaponry.

This is also why the Reapers have already failed in their mission to prevent AI from "destroying all organic life forever because that's what always happens!"

In Mass Effect 2 you go to a Geth station located in the darkspace between stars. Literally impossible to find unless you already know where it is. Who knows how many stations like this the Geth already have where they can out wait the Reaper cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Oh really? I thought they were a contingency plan for if the Reapers won. Ignore me then.

It's suspected that Cerberus saw the reapers as a viable, real threat and threw a bunch of funding behind the initiative, but it was a separate thing with its own goals of exploration.