Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bernie's sanctioning fees are pretty much the entire reason why most of the great old tracks people want to see on the calendar have been replaced by Baku and Bahrain and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Get rid of Baku, Sochi, and Bahrain imo. Put the Euro GP in Imola and add two street circuits somewhere.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We can only long to see "Well done Brands Hatch" or "Watkins Glen welcomed us"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bring back Korea if Sepang is really dropping out

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/azerbaijan-gp-boss-hits-out-at-ignorant-liberty-criticism-883054/ posted:

"Frankly Bernie's attitude was, 'How much can I extract from them?' I heard him call them the victims! 'How much can I extract, how much up front?'

That was locker room talk

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

lmao alright slugger

As I see it, here is Liberty's business model

1) Reduce Sanctioning fees (and revenue) so tracks can afford to have races without going bankrupt
2) Put more videos on Youtube/InstaSnapwhatever.
3) ????
4) Profit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

daslog posted:

1) Reduce Sanctioning fees (and revenue) so tracks can afford to have races without going bankrupt
3) ????
4) Profit.

Nobody knows what their business model is yet other than them saying "We'd like the people who do business with us to not hate us for loving them raw."

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

CratSock posted:

I'd love to see something like this happen, and work in practice too. Whether it's fuel flow, RPM, or additional battery power. Unfortunately, I still think the teams would manage to "optimize" things with fascinating unseen simulations and calculations and the reality wouldn't be as dynamic a result as we all hope for. It would just give the teams more doohickeys to ruin.
The issue is that the fastest way to drive economically is extreme lift-and-coast. The FIA don't like that because it increases the chance of rear-ending where the chasing driver is caught unaware by the driver in front lifting earlier.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113141

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

daslog posted:

3) ????
4) Profit.

Step 3 is people watching the sport

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alain Post posted:

Bring Back Bernie

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Waiting for Tony to take someone's post super serious and post a large essay about it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's really going to fun to watch when Tony and LC finally mix it up and go head to head in serious long essay post arguing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Alternatively, some better on track product. 2016 was an improvement over the previous year so it's a good trajectory to follow.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 15, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nah, either his posts are so wildly wrong that they don't need arguing over, or I've chilled out. I suspect the former.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Powershift posted:

They might even try concepts un-tested in the bernie era like marketing and ad sales.

This is pointless. There are two kinds of people: those who know what F1 is and whether they enjoy it and those who live in places like America, who would ruin the sport immediately if they started watching.

If you want to make F1 more popular, start by addressing the problem of having so many bad German drivers who cheat without punishment. Can you imagine being new to the sport and doing research on it, and then you find out that the current WDC is Nico Rosberg*? Who would watch that?

poty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 15, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poty posted:

so many bad German drivers who cheat without punishment.
That's unfair, what about the Dutch? How many Dutchites have been at top level in F1? Like, one? And he's a dangerous cheating fraud who evades punishment and also ugly. That's like a 100% failure rate for Netherpeoples in F1. That's staggering.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You guys are going to be so sad when Max Verstappen gets a wdc

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

I've lived through 12 fraudulent German WDC wins I can cope with one Dutch one

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Nah, either his posts are so wildly wrong that they don't need arguing over, or I've chilled out. I suspect the former.

Bullshit. Calling you out as full of poo poo

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Norns posted:

I will be whatever the opposite of sad is, I forget the word, it's been a while

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

3) ????
4) Profit.

I sincerely believe this is the stupidest poo poo this thread has yet produced.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

Lmao, Liberty called out Baku for being a pointless GP that was only held for the entrance fee: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/azerbaijan-gp-boss-hits-out-at-ignorant-liberty-criticism-883054/

:bravo:

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

WE'RE DONE BAKU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Meanwhile in NASCAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwTw3wVbaA

Even hockey would penalize this....

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nascar fist fights are the dumbest poo poo on earth

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Meanwhile in NASCAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwTw3wVbaA

Even hockey would penalize this....

Two of the biggest drilldos in NASCAR

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I'm confused about #1 myself. Is that a bad thing?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm confused about #1 myself. Is that a bad thing?

I'm fascinated by the implication that F1 should generate a significant chunk of its revenue by charging sanctioning fees so high that it's literally impossible to profitably host a race.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah honestly that's gotta be one of the biggest things wrong with F1

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
F1 simply needs to purchase Taylor Swift and have her perform at every race problem solved

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If Liberty is smart enough to realize that ramming 80 million ad breaks into the race isn't the way to go and they produce a legit steaming service ala MotoGP then I'll line up to blow their board of execs.

If they help make it financially viable for historic tracks to be financially viable to the point where they can even drop their ticket prices so we have actual people in the crowds again then they can have my rear end as well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

But it makes perfect sense as long as you're aware Azerbaijian pays third party agents to promote the Azeri brand throughout the world and to mask every awful thing about the nation.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just hosting other poo poo at the events so the venue can make more money from fans and non-fans alike is cool and good.
More people should do what Austin did.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

If Liberty is smart enough to realize that ramming 80 million ad breaks into the race isn't the way to go and they produce a legit steaming service ala MotoGP then I'll line up to blow their board of execs.

If they help make it financially viable for historic tracks to be financially viable to the point where they can even drop their ticket prices so we have actual people in the crowds again then they can have my rear end as well.

if Liberty enables me to ditch my expensive Foxtel package I have just for F1 and instead just have an online subscription, this would be very excellent.

I don't know if I want that though, because the audio and video quality through Foxtel is amazing and I don't mind paying when it's that good. It would frustrate me if the online service was any less than 1080p and Dolby mixed 5.1. After you're used to the commentary coming from the center and engine noise from the fronts, or when you're watching onboard camera the engine noise coming from the rears (so you actually hear the engine behind you) it's hard to go back.

Khablam posted:

Just hosting other poo poo at the events so the venue can make more money from fans and non-fans alike is cool and good.
More people should do what Austin did.

There always used to be a concert in Adelaide. I don't think I ever went, I was usually over the venue by that time because I've actually been there watching the racing, but I'm all for even more of a traveling circus type thing. Melbourne is pretty great, in the middle there are motocross dudes pulling backflips and having 'expression sessions', a zillion car displays from super modern sportcars to poo poo like Alan Jones's Championship winning Williams sitting on a tarp for you to walk up to and swear at how loving unsafe the thing looks. There is always a flyover by the Australian Air Force fighters and then something big, a 747 or A380. First time I took my current girl to the race she had never been and I'd forgotten about the fighters because it had been a while. We were sitting in the grandstands and I saw the little dot way off in the distance and remembered and realized this was going to be amazing. She had no idea and the drat thing is going so fast that it's past before the sound caught up.. so like ZOOM and she is like wtf.. then BLLLLAAAAAMMMM. Literally dropped her drink and screamed. Best times.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 16, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I watch F1 on the Foxtel Go app and I honestly don't miss watching it on ordinary TV.

I have NBN though so your mileage may vary.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have an iQ box at home?

Just the set and forget, I did it last night, told the box to record every race and quali session, that show called the Inside Line which looks like an import from Europe and is really good and a couple of other interesting looking F1 things. I'm done for 2017, I don't have to think about it anymore, everytime there is anything happening in F1 it's waiting for me on the box if I don't watch it live. Makes the late night sessions so easy.

I still pay like 80 bucks a month or something for this which would make more sense if I watched anything else on it, but if I'm not watching F1 on Foxtel then I'll just switch to Netflix because gently caress ads.

yeah, I got Telstra cable at 120 megabit down. Live in inner Melbourne, Internet is great here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't have iQ so I tend to miss the American rounds.

My parents are the ones with the sub, they just gave me one of their foxtel Go accesses since they don't use it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, so I've left it late as poo poo. I'll be honest, we had a fight and called it all off and then made up and now we're both realizing we're going to miss the new cars and that sucks.

So, I'm ebaying tickets.. this dude has asked a thousand bucks for these two sets

It's not a bad deal. That GP Advantage I think is the membership program you pay to be part of so you get dibs on the good tickets each year. The roaming grandstand is sweet, and Jones section B for race day is literally right on corner one. Probably the best seat in the house for corner one, which is always pretty cool.

I can get the time off for Thurs and Fri but my partner cant, so we'll probably pass on these as someone else gave us Sat tickets and we might just buy a Sunday ticket instead.

If any other Melbournites/Aussies want to buy the above tickets, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Make sure to wear your Ferrari shoes.

• Locked thread