Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The Browns absolutely can go into the season with Kessler and <____> at QB. Why would they be at risk of being fired if this is a nothing season? Everything they've done and indicated over the past two years was righting the ship through a long rebuilding process.

I also don't buy that the Patriots are even that high on Jimmy or see him as the future.

They spent a 3rd round pick on a QB in last year's draft afterall.

If the Browns have a repeat of last season, you don't think it'll be the hot seat for those in charge? I'm not saying Jimmy G is the answer. I'm just saying I think they need to add 2-3 more wins to show progress and the Browns FO may feel that improving at QB is one way to ensure that happens.

I don't know how much you can read into the machinations of the Patriots quarterback drafting. I mean they drafted Ryan Mallett and had to know he sucked, but waited three years before grabbing another prospect. Was Brissett just BPA? Or did they draft him with the idea of trading Jimmy away as they've done before? Who the gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I agree, there is not a huge market, I think it is literally one team at this point, the Browns and maybe the 49ers. But I think if the Browns were serious about one of the free agent options there would have been some chatter about that by now. They absolutely cannot go into the 2017 season with just Brock and Kody, for the aforementioned reasons (pink slips). So I think they are totally still in the Jimmy G market.

They absolutely can and will go into the season with Brock/Kessler. They have 11 draft picks this year AND next year. Multiple first, seconds and thirds. There's no reason to spend that equity on an unproven QB, your argument doesn't make sense with what they've been actually doing.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

kaepernick has an actual ceiling we've seen before (super bowl quarterback) whereas garapolo hasn't done poo poo. if pats fans love him so much then fine, he's yours forever

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

The Browns absolutely can go into the season with Kessler and <____> at QB. Why would they be at risk of being fired if this is a nothing season? Everything they've done and indicated over the past two years was righting the ship through a long rebuilding process.

I also don't buy that the Patriots are even that high on Jimmy or see him as the future.

They spent a 3rd round pick on a QB in last year's draft afterall.

Even if they think Jimmy G has the potential to be the next Brady and won't trade him for anything it wouldn't be that unreasonable to get a backup plan considering that he's still only potential. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that RGIII was a stupendously hot prospect.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

Belichick knew at that point that he would need a 3rd QB for at least 4 games because of the Brady suspension and the best brains in football (Bill and Ernie) certainly planned for the eventuality that they want to trade Jimmy G after the season and that 2017 was a weak QB class, so they drafted their next backup QB, who won them a game.

If you need a 3rd string QB to play backup for the first four games you sign a scrubby backup with experience, not a rookie QB who will most likely know so little as to be useless if he has to play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is Kirk Cousins not an option for the Browns?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

warcrimes posted:

They absolutely can and will go into the season with Brock/Kessler. They have 11 draft picks this year AND next year. Multiple first, seconds and thirds. There's no reason to spend that equity on an unproven QB, your argument doesn't make sense with what they've been actually doing.

What are they going to do with these 11 draft picks if not spend them on unproven players that you project are going to be good?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Washington likely wants something dumb for him otherwise he'd probably be traded to the 49ers already. Or Washington's front office is such a mess that they can't really get it together enough to make those trades... Both are possible!

Nov 6, 2002

warcrimes posted:

The argument is that the people in charge won't be around to spend those picks if they only win one game again.

Also while I'm not specially making the argument that Jimmy G is some great QB prospect based on what we've seen, you have to keep in mind that that in the real world of the NFL people are willing to pay for potential. In the real world Brock Osweiller gets a million gazillion dollars after being benched for Peyton Manning's corpse. Sam Bradford, the definition of unearned potential, gets traded in back-to-back seasons, including for a 1st. Mike Glennon gets a $44 million deal.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Kessler played well enough to get a real chance to start. I don't think he's the future but he wasn't embarrassing and could certainly improve especially with a better line in front of him.

Leperflesh posted:

If Washington would trade him for the #12 pick I'd do it in a heartbeat, but he'd have to sign a new contract.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 15, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cavauro posted:

who touched him as a kid?

I appreciated this post thank you

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok. No one is taking Kirk.

Washington is keeping him. Everyone back off. He's not even that good.

:aaaaa:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
this is kirk's last season in washington because dan snyder is a gigantic dipshit and it's really funny

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The argument is that the people in charge won't be around to spend those picks if they only win one game again.

Also while I'm not specially making the argument that Jimmy G is some great QB prospect based on what we've seen, you have to keep in mind that that in the real world of the NFL people are willing to pay for potential. In the real world Brock Osweiller gets a million gazillion dollars after being benched for Peyton Manning's corpse. Sam Bradford, the definition of unearned potential, gets traded in back-to-back seasons, including for a 1st. Mike Glennon gets a $44 million deal.

If Jimmy was a free agent, he'd probably get a lot of money on a deal they can escape from in 1-2 years like Osweiller / Glennon, but hell, not even a 2nd round pick is worth a $16m cap hit this year, teams have so much cap space right now that the Browns or 49ers would probably rather pay a random first round talent $25m next year then spend a first to draft him.

Bradford fetched what he got from a desperate team in an awful injury situation that happened at the perfect time for a fleecing. And considering what happened to the Vikings for doing that, I doubt anyone's going to be up for a repeat of that this year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Dan Synder is going to personally give Kirk Cousins the franchise tag and spite-pay him 40 million dollars

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I really don't see a bottom-5 (Browns, 49ers, Jets) team trading for Kirk Cousins this offseason when they can just get him next offseason.

Nov 6, 2002

Again, that is banking on the idea that the Browns FO stays intact.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Kessler played well enough to get a real chance to start. I don't think he's the future but he wasn't embarrassing and could certainly improve especially with a better line in front of him.

If Washington would trade him for the #12 pick I'd do it in a heartbeat, but he'd have to sign a new contract.

OK so http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697999-kirk-cousins-trade-rumors-browns-reportedly-will-try-to-deal-for-redskins-qb
Basically looks like the rumor is Cousins doesn't want to be traded to the browns. They could do it anyway, but he's on a one-year contract so they're unlikely to want to give up the #1 pick for a guy who has already said he doesn't want to be there so would likely refuse to sign an extension and just leave.

On the other hand, maybe the Browns are offering the #12 but the Skins are hoping for SF's #2 and are gonna wait and see if that happens. Might be they'll wait right up until pick #2 of the draft doesn't go to them for Cousins and then make a draft-day trade with the Browns! That'd be exciting.

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I really don't see a bottom-5 (Browns, 49ers, Jets) team trading for Kirk Cousins this offseason when they can just get him next offseason.

Or this. The niners might be just as concerned about the one-year contract, although Cousins has said he wants go to SF so he's maybe a lot more likely to sign a long-term contract, and it'd be tremendous for SF's rebuilding prospects to have Cousins on board for a multi-year deal. Well worth the #2 and then some.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waiting 1 year to get Cousins on the open market is not a risk-free proposition. He could have another good year and then his market will presumably be very hot. It might be cheaper to trade for him now and then sign him to a big contract, than wait and have to sign him to an even bigger contract in the middle of a free-for-all bidding war. We have no idea which 2017 QBs are gonna bust, have career-ending injuries, etc. so we don't know who all the players will be next year or how much they'll be willing to spend.

I think Cousins being traded to the Niners is the more likely scenario, but I think it's still possible the Browns go for it, even with the uncertainties we see.

e. The most amazing option would be the Browns trading Osweiler to the Skins along with the #12 and an agreement to pay part or all of Osweiler's salary for Cousins, giving the Skins the quarterback their front office truly deserves to have.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Again, that is banking on the idea that the Browns FO stays intact.

Because everything they've done over the last two years has shown that they know and are working on a long rebuild and that constant turnover has been putrid for them.

Why would a front office amass a dozen picks for 2018 if they thought they'd be fired before then?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Leperflesh posted:

OK so http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697999-kirk-cousins-trade-rumors-browns-reportedly-will-try-to-deal-for-redskins-qb
Basically looks like the rumor is Cousins doesn't want to be traded to the browns. They could do it anyway, but he's on a one-year contract so they're unlikely to want to give up the #1 pick for a guy who has already said he doesn't want to be there so would likely refuse to sign an extension and just leave.

On the other hand, maybe the Browns are offering the #12 but the Skins are hoping for SF's #2 and are gonna wait and see if that happens. Might be they'll wait right up until pick #2 of the draft doesn't go to them for Cousins and then make a draft-day trade with the Browns! That'd be exciting.

Or this. The niners might be just as concerned about the one-year contract, although Cousins has said he wants go to SF so he's maybe a lot more likely to sign a long-term contract, and it'd be tremendous for SF's rebuilding prospects to have Cousins on board for a multi-year deal. Well worth the #2 and then some.

Yeah if he is hellbent on going to SF, I still wouldn't give up the #2 for him. Just wait out the year, tank and get another high draft pick to help rebuild. Then sign him to the long-term deal.

Leperflesh posted:

Waiting 1 year to get Cousins on the open market is not a risk-free proposition. He could have another good year and then his market will presumably be very hot. It might be cheaper to trade for him now and then sign him to a big contract, than wait and have to sign him to an even bigger contract in the middle of a free-for-all bidding war. We have no idea which 2017 QBs are gonna bust, have career-ending injuries, etc. so we don't know who all the players will be next year or how much they'll be willing to spend.

I think Cousins being traded to the Niners is the more likely scenario, but I think it's still possible the Browns go for it, even with the uncertainties we see.

e. The most amazing option would be the Browns trading Osweiler to the Skins along with the #12 and an agreement to pay part or all of Osweiler's salary for Cousins, giving the Skins the quarterback their front office truly deserves to have.

That is a good point though.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 15, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Because everything they've done over the last two years has shown that they know and are working on a long rebuild and that constant turnover has been putrid for them.

Why would a front office amass a dozen picks for 2018 if they thought they'd be fired before then?

Yeah it's not unreasonable Hasalam gets into the sauce again and fires them all, but they're clearly not planning around a fear that's what he'll do if they don't deliver wins now.

Leperflesh posted:

Its not risk-free but it's considerably less risky than the likely-firing offense of trading a high draft pick for him and losing him the next year because he wouldn't sign a long-term deal.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I think you're assigning too much rationality to that owner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think you're assigning too much rationality to that owner.

He's not. He's saying the Browns FO is, because if they believed they were on the chopping block they'd act differently. You're assuming they believe they're on the chopping block. If they actually are on the chopping block but don't know it, it's actually irrelevant to this discussion.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If I am, then the Browns are hosed no matter what they do and they definitely shouldn't ruin Jimmy G's career over it. :v:

But really, I think the prior 5 years of just loving embarrassment after embarrassment leading up to the Manziel saga has the owner just wanting the team to not be a laughingstock, and giving this current crew 4 years to turn poo poo around is the way to do it.

Or end up as the Jaguars and starting over regardless.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope the Browns trade for Cousins and then tag him for a third year when Cousins won't re-sign

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's a lot of Chopping block.

Also again I think this is all smoke and mirrors bullshit and the Skins sign Cousins long term down the road.

But, if he wants out then gently caress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah if he is hellbent on going to SF, I still wouldn't give up the #2 for him. Just wait out the year, tank and get another high draft pick to help rebuild. Then sign him to the long-term deal.

That's the thing, though. He's hellbent on SF this year, because he wants out of Washington pronto, knows Shanahan, and knows the Niners are already one of the most likely teams to want him.

Next year, with his contract done, SF can't assume he'll still be hell-bent on the team. His options open up wide to anyone willing to pay him across possibly a dozen or more QB-desperate teams and SF can't assume their bid will be the highest.

evilweasel posted:

Its not risk-free but it's considerably less risky than the likely-firing offense of trading a high draft pick for him and losing him the next year because he wouldn't sign a long-term deal.

So get the Skins on the horn, hash out a deal, then call up Cousins and get him to agree to sign a 4-year contract if you make the trade. He says yes, you make the trade, he signs, and you're set.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Mmm love a good 3 page circle jerk of Pats posters stroking it to Jimmy G, who has done nothing in the NFL. The rest of the league would be lucky to get him for 2 1st and 2 2nd rounders

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope the Browns trade for Cousins and then tag him for a third year when Cousins won't re-sign

Can they do that though? I know the Skins can't tag him again, but I didn't know if the team that traded for him under his current franchise tender could tag him .

In other news:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/842102256447176706

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/842104974905618432

And Rotoworld says that the Bills have signed WR Andre Holmes to a 3 year, $4.5 million contract.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 15, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Mmm love a good 3 page circle jerk of Pats posters stroking it to Jimmy G, who has done nothing in the NFL. The rest of the league would be lucky to get him for 2 1st and 2 2nd rounders

I agree w/ you that jimmy g is a system qb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jets can't even get 3rd string RB's they don't need to sign lol.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I will say this, I think the regime in Cleveland knows they need to show some progress, they can't have another 1 or 2 win season or they'll all be fired. I doubt they'll want to rely on Cody Kessler or Brock Osweiler to get them to the 4-5 win promised land. And none of the quarterback prospects look particularly promising, certainly not as guys who you can plug in right away. I think this really leaves the Browns in a tough position with an uninspiring list of free agent QB's or taking a gamble on a somewhat unknown commodity like Jimmy G.

Edit:

If you're Sashi and Hue would you rather hook your wagon to Jimmy G or one of these guys?

Colin Kaepernick
Jay Cutler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Case Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Dan Orlovsky
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
T.J. Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nassib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst

The flaw in your argument is that you are acting as if only Garrapolo can secure wins on that roster. Or more specifically, that only a change at quarterback is capable of improving their record.

They took a garbage offensive line and beefed it the gently caress up with Zeigler, Teeter and Bitonio, making significant improvement to arguably their weakest unit. (Outside quarterback)

They still have a bunch of young receivers in the pipeline that will have their first full NFL offseason program.

I guess what I'm struggling with is why would an analytics based front office feel compelled to give up an asset that we know they regard highly AND pay roughly $15 plus million a year and commit themselves long term to a player who has started in only two NFL games, when we know there are multiple quarterbacks on the market who are cheaper and have repeatedly won multiple games in a season?

You are assuming that the Cleveland front office is in a panic, when their owner admitted his constant shuffling of front offices is what brought them to that point.

And Hue Jackson was supposedly very high on Kaepernick coming out of college.

EDIT: Long effort post beaten by many other good posts. :v:

Sataere fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 15, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And Rotoworld says that the Bills have signed WR Andre Holmes to a 3 year, $4.5 million contract.

And Andre Holmes says...

https://twitter.com/dreholmes18/status/842110991236247552

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

QB speculators, don't forget that Daniels from the Eagles is on the block. He's probably as good as Jimmy/Cutler and would be cheap since we want the cap space.

Also, grats Vikings. Thielen is pretty good imo.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And the more Chase gets paid by another team, the more the Eagles save against the cap :dance: #offsetlanguage

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I mean for all the printing of the shirts for the Pats, they are still a Brady injury away from having a rough time. We keep saying things like that but no matter how many kids you sacrifice to the devil, eventually your body wears out and

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Every time I see a mess of unread posts I think maybe this is the time Romo got released :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd take Jimmy G over any of this year's draft QBs, which granted is not saying much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Denver is considering King Dunlap.

AFC-Westcest

• Locked thread