Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well I guess if nothing else, there's no reason modern Keanu couldn't be in the Matrix reboot thing.

Hell, he did a good job in Man of Tai Chi, get him to direct. :kheldragar:

casting Keanu as Agent Smith wouldn't be enough to get me to see the Matrix reboot, but it'd be a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wouldn't mind a Matrix reboot where most of the previous trilogy's cast returns but in totally different roles. :haw:

Daniel Bernhardt as The Architect.

Chairman Capone posted:

For all everyone compares The Matrix and Dark City, having rewatched Blade recently, I was really struck by the similar feel and beats between it and The Matrix.

Whenever I've shown someone Blade for the first time they're surprised it was released before The Matrix and not after.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 15, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Sandra Bernhard as The Architect.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I thought Beyond was a disappointment? Didn't know a sequel was greenlit.

Beyond is a movie that never had a shot because the franchise lost its good will after Into Darkness. It ended up being really fun and basically as good as ST09 but I don't recall anyone talking about it or being interested in seeing it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waffles Inc. posted:

Beyond is a movie that never had a shot because the franchise lost its good will after Into Darkness. It ended up being really fun and basically as good as ST09 but I don't recall anyone talking about it or being interested in seeing it
I saw it after hearing everyone talk about how fun it was and proceeded to forget about it an hour after I saw it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Blade was one of the most important or crucial movies in Hollywood imo for what came after it inspired from 1999 onward

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's funny I actually never thought of it as being similar to The Matrix at all until very recently but the more I discuss it the more I find it similar to The Matrix the same as your other examples (which to be fair are much more similar to Jupiter Ascending). Like "Neo, by contrast, is completely useless on the Nebuchadnezzar, and only has value in the "fake" (i.e., real) world of the Matrix." ? Jennifer Connelly is just a teen babysitter outside of the world of Labyrinth but in the world she's important. Neo's a 9 to 5 drone but in the Matrix he's cyber Jesus, Mila Kunis' job on earth is to clean toilets and feels so worthless she decides to sell her eggs so her cousin can buy a PS4 with Dark Souls 2, but in the greater scheme of the universe she's politically savvy enough to become the single owner of earth and is space royalty and gets to definitively obliterate the bad guy on multiple levels.

The key difference is that Neo's power as cyber Jesus only express itself when he's in the Matrix (i.e., the contemporary world of the end of the 20th century). While his trip into the "real world" of the future helps him awaken his power, the place he can bend time and space, stop bullets, fly, etc. is in the contemporary setting (the actual real world). The explanation that the world is an illusion is the conceit that powers the relatively mild fantastical elements of the contemporary action of the Matrix, like how all the stuff with vampires in Blade is how they justify a virile black man exterminating eurotrash.

In Jupiter Ascending, Labyrinth, The Last Starfighter, etc., it's the fantasy land where the important action and developments happen. This doesn't necessarily make any of them bad, but it's a whole different sort of story.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Star Trek 2009 is much better looking than Beyond. The opening shot of the USS Kelvin as an abstract play of light across its hull is a delight and a great way to give me good will for a movie.

http://i.imgur.com/p6Z1Iky.gifv

Not that Beyond doesn't have some pretty moments.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gatts posted:

Blade was one of the most important or crucial movies in Hollywood imo for what came after it inspired from 1999 onward

Snipes's social commentary of the ice-skating habits of motherfuckers was the most profound and culturally influential since his strategies on playing roulette.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not fair to him. He wasn't painting with a broad brush. He's not like that. He only said that SOME motherfuckers had that habit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Snipes's social commentary of the ice-skating habits of motherfuckers was the most profound and culturally influential since his strategies on playing roulette.

He doesn't blush you know

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Man, in 1999 the Matrix was like...

that whole bit starting with the armory/metal detector/lobby shootout/morpheus rescue/helicopter crash/bullet dodge/subway fight/final awakening was relentless. It was like when T2 hits that point of no return midway through at the Dyson's where it doesn't let up for the remainder. I love that whole sequence.

2+3 got pretty out there, when they came out I remember trying to look to the highway chase/staircase fight as redeeming of all the other weird poo poo, but then 3 really lost me for the most part. There's a handful of bits I like across the two movies but I haven't seen them in forever and I wasn't engaged by pretty much any of the Zion stuff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jupiter Ascending has an amusing and entirely unearned foray into something interesting with the comedic bureaucratic nightmare of getting your space princess titles in order that almost shows an interesting world and begins an interesting plot, that instead rapidly returns to the YA-LadyNeo hero's journey. Even the whole recycling humans thing is stolen from the matrix where it doesn't really work. If us lowborn DNA Pulp humans can make amino acids by basically doing the physics/chemistry equivalent of picking your nose, it kind of speaks to the incompetence of the space world that they don't manufacture their varied DNA sequence goo in a process that doesn't require eating habitable worlds in a manner that's loving unsustainable the same way using a human being to generate a battery is.

Cloud Atlas almost works, and then it doesn't. For me, anyway. The stories almost link up in a beautiful way, the good even elevating the weak ones a bit, and it just doesn't work. The nearly the whole neo-seoul story doesn't work, except the Soylent Green stuff, it's bad, and it doesn't sync at all with the rest of it.

The Wachowskis have two good movies, they're The Matrix and Speed Racer and seem like the kind of people, like George Lucas, with cool ideas who need smarter people to filter it through.

So, Warner Bros has a movie that mostly works, and 2 with some ideas that are kinda cool, and they can probably make something greater than the sum of the original trilogy easily without any input from the wachowskis.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i've just realized the wachowskis pretty much just make tortured homages to soylent green. Now I need to watch Speed Racer to see if it... fits...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The problem I had with Jupiter Ascending is it was exclusively really fake-looking CGI, the kind that has no weight or presence and just screams that well, you're looking at something fake. The quality of the graphics is better than it used to be, but it's still like watching an extended FMV sequence from a late-90s CD-ROM game. That was coupled with the fact that the protagonists are completely protected by plot armor; the entire movie is screaming at you that despite all the poo poo that's being flung at your eyeballs that it's all just filler, nobody is actually at any risk.

In the Matrix, you got the feeling that everything *mattered*. The characters were absolutely scared shitless of the agents, they're an implacable force that cannot be stood against, which makes Neo's eventual triumph significant. In JA, the opposition is never threatening, there's no dramatic tension and I could not bring myself to care a single bit about what was going on onscreen. The whole thing might as well have been a Disneyworld ride.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Eddie Redmayne's performance as a young person with an unusually melodramatic old man's voice was one of the best comedic roles of 2015.

I'm not entirely sure what he was going for with that voice, but it did make me laugh.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't The Matrix usher in the kung fu training for action movies? Some had it before, but it seemed to grow really prominent after that. Like, it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before.

Or am I totally wrong?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Any love for V for Vendetta? It has a terrible reputation nowadays due to its symbolism getting stolen by internet trolls and the alt-right but it's still a good movie separate from that

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

V for Vendetta is fine, but was directed by James McTeigue.

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't The Matrix usher in the kung fu training for action movies? Some had it before, but it seemed to grow really prominent after that. Like, it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before.

Or am I totally wrong?

It imported Hong Kong wire-fu action cinema to America. But it's definitely going way too far to say that action movies were never highly stylized before it.

Phanatic posted:

The problem I had with Jupiter Ascending is it was exclusively really fake-looking CGI, the kind that has no weight or presence and just screams that well, you're looking at something fake.

CG is fine if handled well, but I definitely should have listed Jim Henson's Creature Shop as one of the things that makes the comparison to Labyrinth rough on Jupiter Ascending.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

It imported Hong Kong wire-fu action cinema to America. But it's definitely going way too far to say that action movies were never highly stylized before it.

I guess that's when I really remember it taking off, and got it confused with wire-fu. It seems like movies got a lot more kung-fu-ey after that, but I was 8 when The Matrix came out. I might not have the best frame of reference for that sort of thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Speed Racer is loving sumptuous. Its editing techniques for exposition should have been in every film.

I agree as my head spins around, another scene erupting from my mouth

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I guess that's when I really remember it taking off, and got it confused with wire-fu. It seems like movies got a lot more kung-fu-ey after that, but I was 8 when The Matrix came out. I might not have the best frame of reference for that sort of thing.

Oh, it definitely changed the style, and that put a damper on more naturalistic action. You're not wrong to think that a ton of stuff looked like The Matrix for a while. I just wanted to push back against "it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I like Bound.

JA has a bunch of problems, but to me the most baffling is that the basic plot (3 siblings vying to get their hands on a young ingenue's land deed) feels like it should turn into a farcical chamber drama or something. Instead of a bunch of episodes; the thing feels like a rushed anime adaptation or something.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

basic hitler posted:

i've just realized the wachowskis pretty much just make tortured homages to soylent green. Now I need to watch Speed Racer to see if it... fits...

The soylent green there is capitalism.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh, it definitely changed the style, and that put a damper on more naturalistic action. You're not wrong to think that a ton of stuff looked like The Matrix for a while. I just wanted to push back against "it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before."

And I figured I was wrong about something and wanted the correct information.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

And I figured I was wrong about something and wanted the correct information.

Well then it looks like we've come to an understanding through constructive dialog :colbert:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Star Trek 2009 is much better looking than Beyond. The opening shot of the USS Kelvin as an abstract play of light across its hull is a delight and a great way to give me good will for a movie.

Enterprise rising from Titan's atmosphere was loving beautiful.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well then it looks like we've come to an understanding through constructive dialog :colbert:

Now, let's discuss the effects of Mortal Kombat on successful video game movies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Any love for V for Vendetta? It has a terrible reputation nowadays due to its symbolism getting stolen by internet trolls and the alt-right but it's still a good movie separate from that

It's one of a few i have on blu ray because i used to like it.

Im gonna over think this because I've watched it a fair bit.

Watched it a couple of months ago and i just had a dramatic falling out with it. Im thinking about trading it in for a dollar or two of store credit somewhere.

I cant really relay what collapsed in my mind but a whole lot of things i used to not notice stuck out badly. It's a preachy movie, but it uses a pretty tepid kind of american liberalism as the source of the impending revolution, that's proven utterly punished and dysfunctional by the authoritarian right wing. Maybe it's a change in context, because ive watched kids get killed and militarized police fire into crowds since i had sat down and watched it, and i know that in the real world Evey would have never aided v and while V may have ultimately provoked a response it would've been stomped into the ground by a state like that.

Reality crushed the joy out of the movie. It just sucks

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Under your ranking it'd be the third best

Oh yeah, that's how ties work in ranking

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the part in V where V makes the dominoes fall over while everything in his plan is falling in place and you realize... they are like the dominoes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

basic hitler posted:

it kind of speaks to the incompetence of the space world that they don't manufacture their varied DNA sequence goo in a process that doesn't require eating habitable worlds in a manner that's loving unsustainable the same way using a human being to generate a battery is.

The film has its flaws but Mila Kunis does actually ask the other space princess character why they don't just do this instead and she does explain why. From that and the regular amount of gene splicing happening to the servitor animal-like characters I got the impression that they are totally capable of this and we see several characters subjected to it, but only the massive genetic diversity of years of evolution on an entire planet is good enough for the upper echelons of society and the profits to be reaped from that are what they will kill for. There was that subplot with the bounty hunters too, they didn't do it for money, but just for like a single capsule of the "good stuff" genetic material. To their mind it's like they're selling soylent for $$$$$$ while common people get a $5 slimfast or supligen if they happen to be pets of the elite.

Still I totally agree with this regarding the action:

Phanatic posted:

The problem I had with Jupiter Ascending is it was exclusively really fake-looking CGI, the kind that has no weight or presence and just screams that well, you're looking at something fake.

That was coupled with the fact that the protagonists are completely protected by plot armor; the entire movie is screaming at you that despite all the poo poo that's being flung at your eyeballs that it's all just filler, nobody is actually at any risk.

In the Matrix, you got the feeling that everything *mattered*.

In JA, the opposition is never threatening,

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the book wisely glosses over exactly what Sonmi says that is so world changing, just going over generalities of what she discussed.

What a cop out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

basic hitler posted:

Watched it a couple of months ago and i just had a dramatic falling out with it. Im thinking about trading it in for a dollar or two of store credit somewhere.

I cant really relay what collapsed in my mind but a whole lot of things i used to not notice stuck out badly. It's a preachy movie, but it uses a pretty tepid kind of american liberalism as the source of the impending revolution, that's proven utterly punished and dysfunctional by the authoritarian right wing. Maybe it's a change in context, because ive watched kids get killed and militarized police fire into crowds since i had sat down and watched it, and i know that in the real world Evey would have never aided v and while V may have ultimately provoked a response it would've been stomped into the ground by a state like that.

That's why I like it, it's escapist fantasy.
:smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Speed Racer gets more brutalized by lousy compression than any movie I've ever seen. HBO's cable broadcast (not streaming, actual cable) had trouble not breaking out into blocks with how much is going on. I appreciate that this makes it too easy to dismiss complaints, but it's a movie that doesn't work on anything less than a Blu-ray.

Yeah, on Youtube, for example, it looks shockingly ugly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Eddie Redmayne's performance as a young person with an unusually melodramatic old man's voice was one of the best comedic roles of 2015.

I'm not entirely sure what he was going for with that voice, but it did make me laugh.

Really funny is that he's said he tried out for the part of Kylo Ren and did the same thing in the audition where he used a goofy voice and realized afterwards that he blew it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, on Youtube, for example, it (Speed Racer) looks shockingly ugly.

Someone should run that movie through Deep Dream or a data mosher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Really funny is that he's said he tried out for the part of Kylo Ren and did the same thing in the audition where he used a goofy voice and realized afterwards that he blew it.

Also funny because Ren is a character that straight up is a manchild that wears a mask that makes his voice sound "more badass."

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

basic hitler posted:

Someone else here said it best a few years back: The movie was made so people who voted for John Kerry could feel good about themselves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hate V for Vendetta, not because it's bad, but because it's not an anarchist manifesto like the original comic. I'm not an anarchist, but it jsut seems wrong to change a message like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hate V for Vendetta, not because it's bad, but because it's not an anarchist manifesto like the original comic. I'm not an anarchist, but it jsut seems wrong to change a message like that.

I think that's kind of what's killing me, everything about this story screams extremism except the movie has a bunch of people preaching enlighenment/liberal era notions of society and class.

V is still an insane terrorist extremist I guess, but they contain it to just him. The only other extremists are Ironic John Hurt & His Nazi Henchmen. A violent anarchist sends his psychic echoes through society by planned acts of terrorism, that then excites their primal urge to... march peacefully & quietly demand reform.

• Locked thread