Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mac expertly and effortlessly communicates the speaker's nationality through the use of the word "troosers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I'm getting the distinct sense that Mac is only comfortable skewering the stodgy misogyny of old institutions because they're Scottish, and this would be a much less light-hearted and harmless cartoon if a Proper English Club were at issue. Am I being uncharitable?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quorum posted:

I'm getting the distinct sense that Mac is only comfortable skewering the stodgy misogyny of old institutions because they're Scottish, and this would be a much less light-hearted and harmless cartoon if a Proper English Club were at issue. Am I being uncharitable?
Absolutely not. Although he does have the strain of "long-suffering wife dealing with her poo poo husband" to go with his gender-swapped version of same, he's more misogynist than pure misanthrope.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So Garrison is opposed to Trump's attempts to remove the Automatic Minimum Tax, which would see him pay something like 5% taxes TOTAL on his income instead?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Jerusalem posted:

So Garrison is opposed to Trump's attempts to remove the Automatic Minimum Tax, which would see him pay something like 5% taxes TOTAL on his income instead?

Wanting to lower your own tax burden is smart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That sign looks real weird to be put on the bar of your club, like maybe a little 'welcome ladies' note on the door but that's just a bit excessive?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Keep on truckin

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Where's the free fudge and almonds?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

L... U...? Is the duck yammering about a study undertaken by a university???

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Holy poo poo, Kirschen escaped the box!
E:Oh, wait, it's just JRROSE!.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Somfin posted:

L... U...? Is the duck yammering about a study undertaken by a university???

It's probably Liberty University, which is One Of The Good Ones for him (and also a good reason not to spell it out, as it sounds more impressive if you don't know it's the one that Jerry Falwell Jr. is president of.)

Liberty University also teaches that young Earth creationism is a superior explanation of biodiversity compared to evolution. Its academic standards are, let's say, probably a little less than rigorous.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 16, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Prism posted:

It's probably Liberty University, which is One Of The Good Ones for him (and also a good reason not to spell it out, as it sounds more impressive if you don't know it's the one that Jerry Falwell Jr. is president of.)

Looks like it's actually I.U., for Indiana University, and the survey is about four years old.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Well, count me in with the group that's surprised Tinsley knew about it and quoted it then.

I'm also surprised anyone can make an I look that much like an L.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 16, 2017

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's not hard when you're tanked.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fates End posted:

Holy poo poo, Kirschen escaped the box!
E:Oh, wait, it's just JRROSE!.

That man shoveling should really be thinking less about ice cream and more about the rapidly subsiding foundation of his house.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Today's energy policy presser with the South Australian premier and the federal energy minister would not be described as cordial.

David Pope:

David Rowe:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ever wonder what your favorite Game Of Thrones characters would look like as babies?
Get ready to squeal with joy, if you can avoid looking at the heavy-handed pro-life rhetoric surrounding them!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh thank god, it's just clickhole.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How about a White Walker holding a baby saying "Abortion gives babies a cold shoulder"?

Or Melissandre birthing a smoke monster that is killing an abortion doctor while saying "See how you like it!"

Or how about the person who made those just falling down a long flight of stairs.

So much for the tolerant left.

HEH

I hate that term...

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

I'm not Scottish, but the sentiment behind this reminds me of Blackface&Gollywog/fried chicken-&-watermelon levels of offensive stereotyping. Or is Sturgeon herself particularly well-known for speaking with that kind of accent and deep frying chocolate bars?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I still laugh when I remember there was a TV series on Investigation Discovery called Frenemies. Then I remember Wives With Knives and laugh even harder.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Probably because he was calling the press itself the opposition party, not Democrats.
Also it's not a good gesture of uniting the nation or bipartisanship either way, which is something Trump pretended he was going to do bigly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have two reactions:

1) it would have been a mercy for everyone in ASoIaF to be aborted

2) clickhole for the love of all things why don't you have Joffrey or somebody peaking through a crack in that door

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Who's Trump negotiating with? The King of Zamunda?
Talisa gets stabbed in her pregnant belly at the Red Wedding and your (fake) anti-abortion message doesn't take advantage of that imagery? smdh

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

I'm not Scottish, but the sentiment behind this reminds me of Blackface&Gollywog/fried chicken-&-watermelon levels of offensive stereotyping. Or is Sturgeon herself particularly well-known for speaking with that kind of accent and deep frying chocolate bars?

While it is playing on national stereotypes, I don't think it's golliwog level. It's probably closer to depicting a French leader in a beret with a baguette and wine going "hon hon I love cheese".

Expect plenty of lovely "Scotland is a drunken moron" imagery as this story continues though!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

People whose job is to find facts tend to not be Republicans??????

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cat Mattress posted:

People whose job is to find facts tend to not be Republicans??????
Look, don't expect Tinsley to take the extra ten seconds to ask himself questions like "why aren't more reporters Republican" or "why aren't more Republicans reporters".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Vib Rib posted:

Look, don't expect Tinsley to take the extra ten seconds to ask himself questions like "why aren't more reporters Republican" or "why aren't more Republicans reporters".

I think if you asked Tinsley in confidence, the answer would involve Jews.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm guessing this is about how Native Americans youths interact with others differently depending on the social or cultural context, just like every other human being does? I don't know.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I have two reactions:

1) it would have been a mercy for everyone in ASoIaF to be aborted

2) clickhole for the love of all things why don't you have Joffrey or somebody peaking through a crack in that door

that wouldn't make any sense in the scene it was referencing :colbert:

Vib Rib posted:

They were all fired like his self-insert, for reasons entirely related to their politics and not at all related to drunkenness at work or while driving

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Korner Kelly: Fear the Reefer

Stats on Trumpcare.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Vib Rib posted:

His answer would involve some form of victim complex similar to the questions "why aren't more college professors Republican" .

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

loquacius posted:

A feature just went up on the Nib with cartoons from 5 Jewish cartoonists regarding the use of Nazi imagery in Trump's America.

First up is thread favorite Matt Lubchansky:

Lisa Rosalie Eisenberg:

Leela Corman:

Eli Valley:

Sarah Glidden:

Hitlers, Hitlers everywhere!

Senior Olympic official apologises for comparing Russian doping ban to Holocaust

Goons.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 16, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

I'm guessing this is about how Native Americans youths interact with others differently depending on the social or cultural context, just like every other human being does? I don't know.

Natives are the Fonz on the reservation and British off it.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• Locked thread