Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Zzr posted:

You retweeted a tweet with a imdb link. Don't act innocent.

Oh, right. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I was in the boardroom when we decided this. I signed off on this for you so long as you can bring in the agreed upon numbers. Secret Project: Amazon Presents: Amazons Star Citizen: A Ship Purchasing Simulator is a go. Just make sure the secret code name we've given the project doesn't leak out.
imagine ordering in game items through the in game amazon webstore, in game, set a thousand years in the future in game. fly out to the distribution center and hand load your amazon boxes, full of scifi staples like toilet paper, before zipping off across the stars to get to your day job as a janitor

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.

Sabreseven posted:

I'm actually rather impressed that the shitizens haven't started rioting yet, given that almost all of the project so far is based on rumours, made up poo poo and gossip being presented as facts to an overly gullible fan base.

The mental backflips over the mere possibility of a publisher aquisition must be something gold medal worthy, yet they are being restrained about actually talking about it. Are they broken?

They are the frogs, which won't jump out of boiling water if was heated slowly (5 years in this case?). Except that actual frogs smarter than that and the anecdote only holds true for stupid people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

LumberYard needs a boost because it’s not widely adopted. But using it to sell AWS is a tough call because contrary to popular belief the AWS costs can be prohibitive – especially for multiplayer games. And when those games stop making enough money to pay for AWS, well, it’s sunset time. So in the case of Star Citizen, I just don’t see how AMZ buying or publishing this game makes sense. It’s a massive financial and PR liability. And if that were to happen, the end result is that those acting like they are in a cult will just end up blaming AMZ for ruining Chris’s ‘vision‘ if they shipped anything less than what he has promised – even as all indications are that he can’t deliver on said promises anyway. With $145m (if you believe it) to date in liability, what exactly would AMZ be buying for them to even recoup that; let alone make any money? All that money is basically pre-orders with very little room for further monetization. Not even if it came to consoles. It makes no sense for them to do it; which is why I find it hard to believe this rumor. But if AMZ is going to do this as a way of marketing LumberYard + AWS for games, it’s one heck of an expensive spend – aside from it being completely nonsensical.

This is always something that gets me. I feel like everybody seems to think that if a publisher steps in they are going to:

1: Have respect for the current backers
2: Honor any promises made by Chris Roberts
3: Act like the donations are pre orders when even CIG doesn't believe
4: Adhere to any kind of vision

This isn't just Amazon, but any publisher. Who's to say they wouldn't buy it for cheap and just go make a console space game? Or FPS? Or really anything because currently Star Citizen is "every game you like but better!"

A publisher (or any buyer), and just start over fresh.

Why do people think they need to honor ship purchases? All ships have been bought on a "pledge" system with the equally touted speech that development could "heavily change" any concept purchase. Congratulations, your Idiris purchase is now a fighter jet painted purple. Have fun and screw off.

CIG from the get go had built the whole project on the boundaries of the facts:

- It's alpha!
- Everything can change!
- You are pledging to the project!

All of this screams that the only promise of Star Citizen is that CR is spending your money and you may or may not get what you are told you may or may not get. It's a sketchy foundation built on straws and hope, with a skyscraper that's impossible to build placed on it.

I feel like this is a misunderstanding, and that this project is only $150 million in debt based on whoever buys it going into it thinking they need to honor all these pledges.

You remove this sense of "honor and integrity" that not even loving CIG has, and you have movie star footage (promoted by Luke Skywalker at a time when Star Wars is about to have a second coming) and a game that could be anything. If pc gamers are bitches, just make it for Xbox and PS4, and if you make a good game anyhow it'll sell even to the pc market once you be smart and put it on Steam.

You could make:
Star Citizen: Space Warriors (because Star Marine is already licensed), the FPS
Star Citizen: Squadron 42, the single player movie adventure with space fighting
Star Citizen: the arena space trading moba
Star Citizen: Farm Citizen, the space farming simulator
Star Citizen: Trade Warrior, the single player version of the arena trader moba with more detail and fidelity
Star Citizen: Trade Warrior Online, the version you can group with up to 5 friends with

And sell each of these for $19.99 - $29.99 across all platforms and Steam and do sales and you could take in some good money. Plaster loving Mark Hamill on each box in his pretty rendered asset, use the HD rendered ships to make it look pretty, farm all the gameplay itself to China and Europe. Done!

Enjoy! :allears:

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

The Titanic posted:

I was in the boardroom when we decided this. I signed off on this for you so long as you can bring in the agreed upon numbers. Secret Project: Amazon Presents: Amazons Star Citizen: A Ship Purchasing Simulator is a go. Just make sure the secret code name we've given the project doesn't leak out.

SPAPASCAPAS? :confused:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

imagine ordering in game items through the in game amazon webstore, in game, set a thousand years in the future in game. fly out to the distribution center and hand load your amazon boxes, full of scifi staples like toilet paper, before zipping off across the stars to get to your day job as a janitor

If you keep talking you know you're going to break the NDA we signed. Just don't mention the awesome Amazon drone simulator aspect we also are planning to have where you pilot the drone delivering the toilet paper on these far off distant planets.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

If you keep talking you know you're going to break the NDA we signed. Just don't mention the awesome Amazon drone simulator aspect we also are planning to have where you pilot the drone delivering the toilet paper on these far off distant planets.
according to my metric data, the average backer wants less gameplay features but more real cash shopping options

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

We here at Amazon are not good with acronyms. Our acronym is literally "A" and that was a tough seventeen hour meeting as we figured out all the word combinations we could make out of "A".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

according to my metric data, the average backer wants less gameplay features but more real cash shopping options

I still enjoyed your slide where you showed the numbers.

"Good gameplay" was a 0 flatline. Meanwhile "Expensively Unrealistic Digital Items" was a slowly growing number into the $10,000 range.

But when you overlayed the "User Acceptance" graph and it was at 100% the whole way across... it's been years since I've seen so many suits give a standing ovation! Congrats on the promotion!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"A" is ok as far as palindromes go I guess but "SPAPASCAPAS" had some real potential and only needed an extra word or two.

SPAPASCSAPAPS

SPRAPASCSAPARPS

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheAgent posted:

the crazy thing is that I work for an LA marketing firm and all this conjecture is just to test the waters to see what will and will not fly with the backers

right now Amazon as a publisher is actually netting positive results across almost every forum, including reddit

I'm going to give the go ahead to Chris to make this a reality

thanks!

The subconscious acknowledgement that at least everyone would get a game in the end at least?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Amazon will ditch the game apart from the hangar module which they will make a VR Experience and use it to launch Amazon VR. Fishtanks and Mustangs in a 2gb download.
Star Citizen VR: Now exclusively on Amazon Cardboard

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

In good news for Star Citizen, when its not janking up, their player models might seriously have better animations and definitely better faces than mass effect: andromeda :staredog:

It might also be better optimized when if it comes out. Lol at 30fps 1080p on a GTX 1060.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
me irl right now
https://imgur.com/Rq9zqLP

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I'm laughing my rear end off right now, thanks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thank Christ Roberts can fix this for SQ42.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Though there's nothing to sue me for. That aside from the fact that I have friends in very high places at Amazon; like I do in every facet of the industry. They'd probably ask me nicely.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Say CIG pays $.05/GB to Amazon for transfers from cloud to internet (farthest down their chart shows) and assuming the normal 30 Gig download, one would have to download/patch the game 30 times to cost CIG the expense of a $45 starter package.

That's what... Three months of bugfixes?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

The staff would really only be artists. And I don't want to be rude, but artists aren't very hard to find and pick up.

Anything worth the weight would be the programmers, and cig has pretty much proven they have kinda mediocre to poor programmers not even capable of making a fairly big free mod using CryEngine.

The value to Amazon might be the cast and promotional material, which has always looked top notch. Looks like a AAA game, but actually is not even close to one. Sometimes all you need is looks though. A genuinely skilled team could probably pull off an upgraded Freelancer pretty fast, barring dumb stuff like tons of FPS gameplay and motion capture cinematics. Just space ships with trade, solid combat and handling, and a mediocre story if any, with limited multiplayer would be fine. Doesn't even need to go into MMO territory.

Which avoids a couple of CIG's really killer blockers, like netcode and autonomous AI NPCs. Not to mention cargo Tetris and grabby hands.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

giphy moma back :q:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Technically it's $150 million in pledges of good will, which Roberts can spin it as. They could sell at dirt cheap to anybody and whoever picks it up can just take it and run. They'll say "gently caress all you entitled pc gamers" and just make a console game using the assets and big name actors.

Is it dirty? Sure. Which is exactly why it's not above CIG at all. Whoever buys it can just write a new TOS and also add in a "hey... the money you guys put in is gone. We got the project and will make it, but we owe you nothing. We received none of your backer money. We had to buy this ourselves at a loss right out of the gate. Here's CIGs customer support email address."

Still kinda surprised they haven't done that yet. Oh, wait ToS 3.0, right?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Samizdata posted:

That's what... Three months of bugfixes?

If every Star Citizen (1.7 million strong) was bothered enough to download the 30GB game it would cost CIG around 2.5 million...if the game was going out from AWS. Probably lower due to petabyte levels.

The level of engineering debt they incur with everything they do is incredible. The two best examples are the Starliner and the Endeavor. The Starliner raised around $500K. There is no way they can model the ship, model the Mixmaster 5000, figure out the AV rack and create the economic models and the subsumption for flight attendants just to fulfill those roles within under 500K.

One of the more primitive measures of going ahead with something is ROI. Usually a quick calc that you are in the ball park to at least make a profit, then proceed further with more cost analysis to justify a project. They are way off and demonstrates how out of their league they are in regards to valuing and delivering a jpeg.

This fucker is circling the toilet.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

the crazy thing is that I work for an LA marketing firm and all this conjecture is just to test the waters to see what will and will not fly with the backers

right now Amazon as a publisher is actually netting positive results across almost every forum, including reddit

I'm going to give the go ahead to Chris to make this a reality

thanks!

At this point, I think even the trufans know in their secret hearts that the only hope this project has of ever seeing a release date is if actual adults take it over and pry the management reins out of Chris' hands. Deep down, they want it to happen- it couldn't make the schedule any worse.

I don''t think they're factoring in that Amazon or any other publisher isn't going to feel terribly beholden to the promises Chris made while building the company and collecting all their money. Witness EQ Landmark, or the Facebook/Oculus Rift acquisition, for examples of what typically happens when a company built on "Dreams" suddenly gets big corporate oversight.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Sold. Needs more T-Posing, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So WTF happened with Mass Effect?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/03/15/mass-effect-andromeda-is-full-of-awkward-and-reused-animations-performance-issues-and-glitches/

That, pretty much sums it up. :)

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's an actual game that exists and can be judged on it's own merits and flaws.

Nothing compared to pure, distilled, desperate dreams.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

It's an actual game that exists and can be judged on it's own merits and flaws.

Nothing compared to pure, distilled, desperate dreams.

I like to think of it as "having some teething issues". Nothing that isn't fixable, just some funny problems that are being blown up out of proportion a bit. :)

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

The early impressions arent good, bad story, super repetitive elements, lovely writing, etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goobs posted:

The early impressions arent good, bad story, super repetitive elements, lovely writing, etc.

So Mass Effect?

:downsrim:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is kinda outside of but still related to star citizen

But how many disappointments need to pile up before nerds start to consider maybe the games aren't the problem.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

So Mass Effect?

:downsrim:
This but unironically.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Star Citizen has toilets. No one shits themselves in the Verse.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

If every Star Citizen (1.7 million strong) was bothered enough to download the 30GB game it would cost CIG around 2.5 million...if the game was going out from AWS. Probably lower due to petabyte levels.

The level of engineering debt they incur with everything they do is incredible. The two best examples are the Starliner and the Endeavor. The Starliner raised around $500K. There is no way they can model the ship, model the Mixmaster 5000, figure out the AV rack and create the economic models and the subsumption for flight attendants just to fulfill those roles within under 500K.

One of the more primitive measures of going ahead with something is ROI. Usually a quick calc that you are in the ball park to at least make a profit, then proceed further with more cost analysis to justify a project. They are way off and demonstrates how out of their league they are in regards to valuing and delivering a jpeg.

This fucker is circling the toilet.

But this is the backers' fault. Every time they send ANOTHER "pledge" or another "subscription" payment, they are saying, IN MY OPINION ONLY, mind you, "Hey, Chris? Yeah, buddy, no worries, man. No responsibilities or anything. We dig have .435 of a game right now." If you are going to keep sending me substantial amounts of money, what reason do I have to actually produce? Especially if producing and releasing the product means no more money?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ME:A looking like it's on par with SC.

:yarg:

:gary:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Raskolnikov posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

this is kinda outside of but still related to star citizen

But how many disappointments need to pile up before nerds start to consider maybe the games aren't the problem.

Does not compute, nerds can take infinite amounts of punishment and disappointment, as proof I present Sonic the hedgehog.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

:yarg:

:gary:

In the future English has evolved to include all sorts of kissy-sounds. Please respect their language.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

trucutru posted:

In the future English has evolved to include all sorts of kissy-sounds. Please respect their language.

I thought everyone was all raspy and stimperial

for twoo hundred yeeaaaaarrrszzzszss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, they finally closed the "Lets talk about 3.0 Status"thread because "rule 4". Took them a while.