Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

but what if i don't like anime upskirt little girls

its a fully grown upskirt anime woman gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr President posted:

then go play Zelda or Horizon. Still far superior games. With so many truly great games out and coming out in Early 2017 there is zero excuse to throw $60 in the toilet and put up with EA's crap over this game.

Horizon is a really great game and it blows my mind that Guerrilla could recognize they had a deficiency in story writing, and therefore recruited the project lead from Fallout: NV to direct their narrative. Mass Effect, coming off one of the most divisive and maligned endings to a trilogy ever, hired the guy who wrote Halo 4 to land the plane.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Urthor posted:

Have we figured out which companions are going to be even mildly close to as good as ME2's companions yet? The Krogan seems really generic Krogan, which means good, but all of the other companions revealed so far seem like the worst ones introduced in the entire series.

so far i kinda like vetra(basicaly female garus,) peebee is ok and krogan is cool because i like the BIG super badass curmgeion trope. and liam is ok.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Urthor posted:

Hopefully. Javik got by on his sociopath mode tho, iirc the lore for the Kerr is they are the oppressed natives by the big bad race

huh

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

eonwe posted:

it runs fine on my 980ti and 8 gb ram

Hell, it runs fine on my gtx 660ti but it is locked to lowest settings.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have S.M.A.R.T. goals; they are:

Specific
Measurable
Agreed-Upon
Realistic
Time-based

I am still going to play this game and enjoy it (Specific); I will enjoy it about as much as I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 (Measurable). Instead of getting to high-five people on the internet for co-liking really amazing games like Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn, I am going to be mocked for my opinions and lower standards until I either die or stop voicing those opinions (which also happens when I die)(Agreed-Upon, Realistic). As I did with Mass Effect 3, I will do all of this before outrage results in major changes to the game (Time-based).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Mass Effect: Crazy Legs Simulator

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon is a really great game and it blows my mind that Guerrilla could recognize they had a deficiency in story writing, and therefore recruited the project lead from Fallout: NV to direct their narrative. Mass Effect, coming off one of the most divisive and maligned endings to a trilogy ever, hired the guy who wrote Halo 4 to land the plane.

thats depressing. halo 4 was a cluster gently caress of a story and none of it worked except for maybe cortana "dying". why the gently caress did they hire him least it wasnt goyer.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
realtalk its been forever since I played shootmans with goons and if this lets me snap to cover and shoot the mans while people tell me im bad over the internet, i'll be satisfied

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They should have hired john smedly to bring this stinker in for a landing

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Scott Forstall posted:

realtalk its been forever since I played shootmans with goons and if this lets me snap to cover and shoot the mans while people tell me im bad over the internet, i'll be satisfied

try ME3 first since it's already out, if this fucks up multiplayer everyone will be piling on that anyway

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so far i kinda like vetra(basicaly female garus,) peebee is ok and krogan is cool because i like the BIG super badass curmgeion trope. and liam is ok.

I can confirm that Vetra and Drack are cool and good. Liam is like the second coming of Jacob tho, take that as you will.

Can't comment on Peebee, she reminds me too much of Sera to actually use her. I may have Sera-related PTSD.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milky Moor posted:

yeah, it seems like the voice direction as a general rule is just bad. bad writing can be salvaged with good voice actors, and a good script can make up for sub-par voicing... but both? it's just bland characters reciting generic expositions at each other.

i can't say much about cora or vetra because we didn't see much of them on the stream, at least the parts i saw, but liam seems to be a perfect storm of badness in particular.

watching the stream, you can tell there really is more dialogue than ME3 because the are so many sequences that are like:

RYDER: Guys, we need to do the thing.
CORA: Let's do the thing, Pathfinder.
LIAM: I'm ready to do the thing.
SAM: Pathfinder, here is a guide to doing the thing.

Walking into a research outpost, finding a glyph, powering up a conduit, powering down a generator... over and over again.

After playing single player for a few hours (CPU: i7-6500u, GPU: GTX 960m w/ 4GB VRAM, Low Settings @720p) Liam is not cool and kind of a hotheaded shitter that I want off my team, but that's me.. Maybe his arc is one of growth and temperance, but so far he should be switched out with someone else.

I've only played the babby intro part to get the Ark away from danger and interacted with Stilted Salarian, and I'm gonna keep burning the hours, but we'll see. So far: It's okay. If it continues being okay then I'd wait for a sale, but if the story improves and has a decent hook, or if the characterization gets a bit better I'll be fine buying it at listed price.

Edit: To add though, gently caress the cover system, I am definitely not a fan. I liked the ME3 cover system way more.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 16, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

Get Wildlands instead.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Just came in here to read some opinions on the game. Sold!!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

gmq posted:

I think my cpu is throttling like crazy and that's why ME:A runs like crap on my computer.

I have no idea how to fix it though, new case since this one has no side panel and maybe water cooling? :v:
throttling? dawg i'm pretty sure your computer should be SHUTTING ITSELF DOWN at those temps :psyduck:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Crappers posted:

Just came in here to read some opinions on the game. Sold!!

holy poo poo that name/post combo

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

gmq posted:

I think my cpu is throttling like crazy and that's why ME:A runs like crap on my computer.

I have no idea how to fix it though, new case since this one has no side panel and maybe water cooling? :v:

poo poo dude those aren't the best temps.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was on board with the quirkyer Asari archaeologist until "I don't like long." So four about five lines.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

They also seemed to acknowledge something went wrong in ME3 because Leviathan and Citadel, both of which are excellent (heck, I'd say Leviathan is the best DLC if you aren't into fan service.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

play ghost recon, its loving fun and goon play is great.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I can confirm that Vetra and Drack are cool and good. Liam is like the second coming of Jacob tho, take that as you will.

Can't comment on Peebee, she reminds me too much of Sera to actually use her. I may have Sera-related PTSD.

guess i am going for vetra this round.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ash1138 posted:

throttling? dawg i'm pretty sure your computer should be SHUTTING ITSELF DOWN at those temps :psyduck:

Yeah I got some sympathetic heart attacks looking at those temps. Definitely do not play this game (or maybe any game) until you figure out why that's happening, that's "i will damage my computer if i run at these temps for too long" range

No idea if that CPU is supposed to be able to handle this game well or not; could be as simple as lowering settings, or maybe something's hosed with your hardware (heatsink not working, maybe you need to reapply thermal paste, I dunno i'm not a wizard)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

monster on a stick posted:

They also seemed to acknowledge something went wrong in ME3 because Leviathan and Citadel, both of which are excellent (heck, I'd say Leviathan is the best DLC if you aren't into fan service.)

How many of those writers are left, really? The opening hours of Andromeda read like "well we gotta hit Mass Effect trope A, B and C" without any understanding of what made them compelling or memorable.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Has anyone figured out the best faction/level to cheese MP matches for whatever spacebucks are required to play the RNG lottery?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

How many of those writers are left, really? The opening hours of Andromeda read like "well we gotta hit Mass Effect trope A, B and C" without any understanding of what made them compelling or memorable.

not sure. weeks is the lead on the next dragon age apperently. not sure about the others.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

gmq posted:

If your CPU hasn't burned itself to death yet (and whyyyy hasn't it had a safety shutdown yet???) please reapply your heatsink/cooling setup, jesus christ.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

hmmm, multiplayer isn't fun either. The aiming is dreadful, the menus are terrible and it's not fun.

in my opinion!

welp, I spoke too soon. it's actually pretty fun, I had terribly laggy matches my first go around. I've been enjoying it.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2017

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I've played 3 hours of SP now and I just got to the Nexus. I'm playing on a not good computer, my processor doesn't even meet minimum requirements. Everything else does, but pretty much just meets them, definitely not near recommended. It runs fine on low/medium settings but I had to turn textures up to high because they are AWFUL at anything below that. Like the player character's face in particular looks like sum gross plaster clay crap. So I have textures on high and everything else is on medium or low and it looks okay but I wouldn't say good. I get pretty bad fps drops in cinematics but just a few hiccups in combat/running around.

Anyways I'm playing as default Sara and despite all the crap people talk about her face I actually really like the way she looks in game. Also while the facial and hand animations are not good I don't actually find them as distracting as I thought I would when I'm actually playing. The walking and running animations are miles above previous ME games but I always played female characters and maybe I'm just happy not to have the man run animation anymore. Lip syncing hasn't bothered me but I play with subtitles on and I tend to look at them instead of the lips anyways.

Dialogue hasn't been anything special but it hasn't been any worse than other bioware games. I haven't really gotten to the point where I talk with companions much so maybe that'll change later. I actually like the new dialogue wheel. It might make it harder to be a complete rear end in a top hat but I always thought the paragon/renegade thing made it feel like you had to stick to one or the other or you were doing it wrong. Also there's a new thing in the codex that tracks your choices and important actions and stuff so if you're ever wondering where a choice was made you can just check that after the quest. I think the points where you make a choice just aren't as obvious anymore, which I like.

I'm enjoying the story alright so far. I don't think the opening is as strong as the previous ME games but I liked it well enough. The main villain (I think) is adorable for some reason.

I picked charge as my first ability and the combat was pretty boring up until you level up for the first time. Then I picked up pull and nova and now I'm enjoying it WAY more. I just jump pack constantly all over the place and then pull to prime and detonate with charge, or charge and then nova. I barely even fire my weapon anymore. The aiming or whatever on charge works really well, sometimes I'd be way off on pointing myself at the enemy I wanted but it always seemed to work anyways. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this forever without dying a lot but it's a lot of fun. The jump pack really adds to it as well.

The default keyboard controls kind of suck but I guess can you can keybind them to whatever. One thing that really annoyed me and I don't know how often this happens outside of like the prologue but the game apparently doesn't let you manually save during priority missions. It wouldn't let me save until I got to the Nexus. It does auto saves but I like to be able to save whenever I want. Another thing was I looted a shotgun but when I went to the weapons loadout it just had the pistol and the rifle filling my 2 slots and I couldn't figure out anyway to change one of them to the shotgun. I dunno if I'm just dumb or if it was a bug or what.

Anyways first impressions are that the combat is good, story is okay so far but nothing special, and the animations are definitely not good but are not so awful that people should be freaking out about it like they are.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I guess we get to find out on Monday the lowest review score each publication is comfortable giving a AAA title from a major studio. My prediction: 82-86 on Metacritic.

EA made a huge mistake letting people play this early, DA2 reviewers got away with it because it wasn't apparent until a couple days after launch what a mess it was. In Andromeda's case way too many people know about it's problems for major reviewers to just give it a 95 and hope nobody notices.

People were already suspicious of this game because they kept showing CG trailers and dev videos with very little footage of the actual game and numerous delays then when they did show footage (PS4 Pro event) it looked really bad and people were chalking it up to early builds or "a boring part of the game they shouldn't have showed". Also most of the talent left Bioware years ago even before ME3.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Just hit the early play wall. I like it ok enough, but it doesn't feel like mass effect without the whole galactic community thing. I guess meeting aliens is better than being the alien.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

I guess ME:A did one thing right, it helped me discover the problem before my computer burst into flames. :v:

Now I have to buy some thermal paste I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
first mission was pretty boring, im probs gonna pass

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Arglebargle III posted:

I was on board with the quirkyer Asari archaeologist until "I don't like long." So four about five lines.

Wait there is ANOTHER quirky Asari team mate?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

hoo boy they didn't change that huh

We had a fun bug the first time we tried to do a mission where the host's game hard locked, forcing them to force exit the game, then when the game migrated hosts the new host inherited the hard lock. Fun times.

Other than that though it's been a blast so far, it's basically ME3 MP with new enemies, new classes and you're not stuck on the ground with tank controls anymore. It's good. Is it $60 of good when the SP is by all accounts a worthless shitshow? How much did you like ME3 MP, because it's more of that with some much needed, life-breathing improvements.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not going to dig too much into Bioware employee history but it looks like John Dombrow is still working on ME, and Weekes went over to run Dragon Age. Those were behind the Tuchanka arc on ME3 which everyone agreed was the best part of the game. Does anyone have credits handy for Leviathan/Citadel?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well when I am not in a squad with some kind of sniper savant with the Vanquisher I can still hit top spot.

Multi feels pretty good to me but holy moly so Destroyers have a lot of shields. Ascendants have a pretty good gimmick to mix things up, I feel. Their presence has me mildly interested in where single player may be going.

Speaking of single player, I guess I need to try that now.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The game runs silky smooth for me. Other than the goofy as hell animations, I'm liking the game? Haven't played MP yet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wait there is ANOTHER quirky Asari team mate?

Yes, in addition to Liara there is now Peebee, who is also an archaeaeologist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, in addition to Liara there is now Peebee, who is also an archaeaeologist.

she even has a line where she says something like "i've been studying remnant technology for six months and you're just using it instantly, ryder!" during the eos mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well the server just died for me.