Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

vermin posted:

How typical is the daily routine of the enterprise in any given show? Is the enterprise always that one ship that discovers Apollo and travels to the evil universe or is that happening on every ship all the time?

Yea, Unless you're near a main character you'll probably be okay.

"Oh poo poo its Riker, everyone hide!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine poo poo like this is happening all the time. We just don't see the time the commander in charge of the night shift was possessed by a time traveling energy ghost and sent the ship back in time to help fight in a war only to learn a valuable lesson about gender equality and sent everyone back. It was a minor note in the log. That asteroid survey ship? Yeah it found the remnants of a robotic species inside the field because the asteroids are actually eggs and they've been hibernating for millions of years. After a series of escalating misunderstandings the humanoid and robotic lifeforms came to understand each other and went their separate ways. Every week on every ship it's some time travel bullshit or existential threats to the federation or shocking relevations about the universe that are never brought up again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Star Trek is a terrifying world to live in. Every day there's some new threat that involves destroying your home world except some plucky heroes barely stop it, or don't and have to time travel. Being a human on earth during some decades the shows don't cover you can maybe imagine life is fairly uneventful. But otherwise it's "Hey remember that borg invasion? That was almost as bad as when we were freaking out about changelings taking over our government during a genocidal existential war that killed billions and we barely avoided a military coup. Which kinda reminded me of maybe a decade before how our government was almost taken over by horrible parasites that wanted to infest us all. Grandpa told me about this time the planet was almost destroyed by loving whale noises and some criminals had to time travel in a stolen ship to solve that one. PS I have no idea if any of my memories are real or if the timeline is constantly changing because time travel and alternate realities are all real. Better get back to shucking these oysters"

Yea but on the other hand, free replicators, holodecks, and transporters.

I'd take that trade.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah Gene was losing it by TNG. I remember in 50 year mission how someone said he was saying racist poo poo openly in a staff meeting, but this is the same guy in the 60s who cast Nichelle Nichols and literally told a station in the south to gently caress off (his very words) when they whined about Uhura. Very confusing. That complete change of personality from disease would make a good episode in itself.

Lincoln posted:

VOY has been more of a struggle. Janeway is a goddamn moron, and is written VERY inconsistently, aside from always making the wrong decision. The Doctor is great, 7o9 hasn't shown up yet, and everybody else sucks. I started out liking Neelix but now he's an annoying creep. Actually I like Tuvok. He seems to be the only one on board who knows what the gently caress is going on.

Huh I just realized the doctors are two of the most interesting characters on those shows. Like the opposite of TNG.

Ive been giving Voyager another chance after having DS9 withdrawals and it's very watchable for me now, even though I gave up on it after yet another holodeck fiasco episode. Just hit Season 6

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Unrelated but does that political ouroboros of a sub forum hand out that av and red-titles to like half the people who ever bother posting there and aren't one of the half dozen 100% correct posters?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Unrelated but does that political ouroboros of a sub forum hand out that av and red-titles to like half the people who ever bother posting there and aren't one of the half dozen 100% correct posters?

Yes, I seem to be a magnet for red titles and I'm jobless at the moment so it's not worth spending $5 to fix.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Shran is the best part of ENT.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

vermin posted:

How typical is the daily routine of the enterprise in any given show? Is the enterprise always that one ship that discovers Apollo and travels to the evil universe or is that happening on every ship all the time?

Technically this is explained in one of two ways:

1) The Enterprises tend to all be on five-year exploratory missions, so yeah, they see weird poo poo all the time.

2) Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are just that damned good (the manly Kirk in particular!) and they have wondrous parables-as-adventures every other day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skooma512 posted:

That complete change of personality from disease would make a good episode in itself.

A great deal of the episode Sarek was inspired by Gene's instability. Marc Cushman, the douchebag who wrote the unbelievably full-of-poo poo "These Are the Voyages..." books and pitched the initial story for the episode (which was originally about a completely random character), claims in The Fifty Year Mission that he basically came up with the entire script, personally convinced Roddenberry and Berman to go along with it, and then Peter Beagle just touched up the dialogue a bit.

In reality, Piller took the initial rough idea and, having had a rough time of dealing with Roddenberry throughout his first season on TNG (the third), to the point that he was already considering quitting, decided to have Beagle write the script and base a ton of it upon the way Gene had been acting throughout the year -- erratic, irrational, mercurial, yet deeply caring at points. Picard's recovery from the mind meld, in particular, was Piller's way of saying, "We know you care about the show and we know you're still doing your best."

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 15, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Star Trek is a terrifying world to live in. Every day there's some new threat that involves destroying your home world except some plucky heroes barely stop it, or don't and have to time travel. Being a human on earth during some decades the shows don't cover you can maybe imagine life is fairly uneventful. But otherwise it's "Hey remember that borg invasion? That was almost as bad as when we were freaking out about changelings taking over our government during a genocidal existential war that killed billions and we barely avoided a military coup. Which kinda reminded me of maybe a decade before how our government was almost taken over by horrible parasites that wanted to infest us all. Grandpa told me about this time the planet was almost destroyed by loving whale noises and some criminals had to time travel in a stolen ship to solve that one. PS I have no idea if any of my memories are real or if the timeline is constantly changing because time travel and alternate realities are all real. Better get back to shucking these oysters"

As a 21st century working class cripple I would happily trade my life now for all of that in a second without hesitation

Can't even get a drat job shucking oysters

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Timby posted:

Most of the time, he didn't remember things he had said five minutes earlier. He was still coherent enough to do things like approve casting decisions in the early goings of TNG, but by the second season his brain was essentially gone -- four decades of heavy alcohol abuse and three decades of cocaine and LSD will do that to you. Nick Meyer is on the record as feeling bad for how harshly he treated Gene during the pre-production

Grand Nagus Zek was Gene's self insert?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

I'm in the same boat. I finished VOY last year and I hated it. The Doctor's bottle episodes are about half of the watchable episodes for me. ENT, on the other hand, seems to have turned a corner. I'm in the middle/end of season two, and it's getting alright/good on a consistent basis. It's not great, but it's better than VOY.

Speaking of which, I just watched ENT's "Cease Fire" and every time Jeffrey Combs' Andorian character is on screen I just wan to watch DS9. Still, his character in this is good, and he comes with a good plot. I kind of hope the show just forgets abut the Temporal Cold War and never mentions it again. Shadowy figure from the 30th century? Who? What? Huh? :shrug:

Shran is the best part of ENT, no dissent will be tolerated on this point.

It's also extra funny because in my trip through TNG to do that stats thing, I occasionally take breaks, and for a while there my breaks were bad USA show Covert Affairs, where an occasional guest character is just Shran, but instead he works for Mossad. Sadly not played by Combs though.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 16, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mike the TV posted:

Rewatching DS9, if you take the Trill as a trans gender parallel, it's actually pretty progressive. I'm sure it's not really what the writers intended, but everyone being okay with Dax having previously been a man is refreshing. There isn't a single character upset about it being icky.

Edit: and the Barney Stinson of the show pursued her and the manliest character ended up with her.
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Even that awful Quark episode sort of backhandedly says that gender transition is trivial.

The real wonderful reason to live in the Trek future is the incredible power of medical science. Just keep away from Bashir, that dude's a loving nut.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone doing what they could to ignore Gene's rambling script notations or disgusting behavior at meetings was the story of early TNG writing. Either that or they would be going to war with his Satanic lawyer Leonard Maizlish, that Gene relied on more and more for writing as he went senile, even though the wasn't in the Writer's Guild and was not legally able to do a lot of the stuff he was doing.

Most writers failed and quit/were fired in a matter of weeks. We're talking dozens of people. Before long the show was relying really heavily on spec scripts, with writing staff spending countless hours taking bad script pitches from nobodies, because everyone in the business knew the TNG lot was the worst writing gig in town.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Orv posted:

Shran is the best part of ENT, no dissent will be tolerated on this point.

You'll get no argument from me, pink-skin comrade. :commissar:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

socialsecurity posted:

And only during the "day" shift when all the important people are working.

The night-shift get the nightmare and spooky-themed things because the day-shift is sleeping. It's super not fair, but them's the breaks.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

socialsecurity posted:

And only during the "day" shift when all the important people are working.

Isn't there an episode where Troi or Chruser doing the night shift to get command hours in?

I just always assume the wake up someone important if poo poo goes down.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nofeed posted:

Grand Nagus Zek was Gene's self insert?

Ferengi as envisioned by Gene had huge dicks and were renowned as the galaxy's greatest lovers. You might be on to something here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pakled posted:

Ferengi as envisioned by Gene had huge dicks and were renowned as the galaxy's greatest lovers. You might be on to something here.

That's just Ferengi marketing at work. In reality, the greatest lovers in all the galaxy are easily--as you are clearly already aware--the Pakled.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Isn't there an episode where Troi or Chruser doing the night shift to get command hours in?

There was 'Data's Day' where we saw Data taking the nightwatch at the end of the episode (I forgot if it begins with him being relieved by the dayshift) because he obviously doesn't need sleep and can run the ship while all the other important characters sleep AND be a supporting member of the staff all day.

I wonder if it started to screw with things when he started using his dream program later on, or if he only 'slept' for like a microseond every time. The "Data dream" epesode is possibly my favorite season 7 episode (All Good Things not withstanding because it's on a different level) and I find it awesome that it was directed by Patrick Stewart, for some reason. I think he did a freaking great job directing it, I mean, it's responsible for such amazing things as "cellular peptide cake (with mint frosting)", psycho-Data brutally stabbing Troi in the breast while looking on dead-faced, Beverley Crusher drinking brain slurry out of Riker's head with a straw... So much greatness, and that's just scratching the surface.

My favorite touch where you can really tell it was directed by a stage actor just fooling around and having fun is the practical special effects (which are surprisingly, well, effective!) Like when Data is receiving a phone call from inside his stomach, you can tell that he's just like standing in front of replica of his chest with a door and a phone inside it, but it also doesn't really detract from anything. I just can't help but notice it every time.

The best season 7 episodes are the ones that don't take themselves too seriously, where it honestly seems like the actors are just having fun with campy nonsense. What was it exactly that changed in season 7 that made it so much campier and weirder/worse at times? Even Ronald D. Moore was writing awful dreck like Descent part 1 and Gambit part 2 and Journey's End, though of course he did also write All Good Things with Braga.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that dream is like something out of Lynch, or Jodowoski (with less poo). The episode with Vertigon City feels like it was trying to capture that surreal weirdness of the earlier one.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

sbaldrick posted:

I sometimes wonder when Crusher sleeps. She's head doctor, she goes on away missions, she commands the bridge, she's running a drat theater company in her off-time... Like, Data comes across as a total slacker in comparison.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

I sometimes wonder when Crusher sleeps. She's head doctor, she goes on away missions, she commands the bridge, she's running a drat theater company in her off-time... Like, Data comes across as a total slacker in comparison.

Shoulda had a special episode about her stimulant addiction. A scene in a dimly-lit medlab injecting a hypospray of Orion xenoamphetamines... she shakes her head, it isn't enough to shake off the fatigue. Better load another ampule...

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Does the Beverly Crusher walkabout subplot also end with a stabbing?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kaworu posted:

The "Data dream" epesode is possibly my favorite season 7 episode (All Good Things not withstanding because it's on a different level)

Solid choice, but I'll still rank Parallels above it any day.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Brawnfire posted:

The night-shift get the nightmare and spooky-themed things because the day-shift is sleeping. It's super not fair, but them's the breaks.

That ain't what I heard about night-shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Phantasms is great because a real human woman shows interest in Geordi and he's like "ugh, can't see you I'm raping a holographic version of the woman who designed our warp core?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I find it awesome that it was directed by Patrick Stewart, for some reason.

All actors want to direct. I think it may save the production money as well? I would assume so anyway.

Jonathan Frakes directed several episodes and a couple of the movies, and he was really good at it too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Jonathan Frakes directed several episodes and a couple of the movies, and he was really good at it too.

He did it efficiently and competently, but very good may be a bit too complimentary. It wasn't bad directing by any stretch, but also nothing especially impressive, movie-wise at least.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Good ol' Two-Takes Frakes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1KxgHH2Ek

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Railing Kill posted:

This didn't happen because Miles O'Brien Must Suffer. Divorce would have been sweet mercy for him.

I'm pretty sure losing his family would hurt worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

All actors want to direct. I think it may save the production money as well? I would assume so anyway.

Star Trek kinda got a tradition as a place where actors would get a chance to try directing. If you were good, you'd direct a ton and maybe even start a solid career as a c-grade director (Frakes, McNeill, Dawson, Burton...). If you weren't, you got one chance then back to acting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 16, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Railing Kill posted:

I'm in the same boat. I finished VOY last year and I hated it. The Doctor's bottle episodes are about half of the watchable episodes for me. ENT, on the other hand, seems to have turned a corner. I'm in the middle/end of season two, and it's getting alright/good on a consistent basis. It's not great, but it's better than VOY.

I finally decided to force my way through Voyager a few months ago after bouncing off of it several times in the past (never getting past, like, season 2). I'm up to season 7 now and... yeah. I pretty much regret wasting my time and I'm only doing it out of some weird sense of completionism now. I don't really have a problem with Enterprise, though. I'm not in any rush to watch it again, but I didn't have to force myself through any of it and I found it mostly enjoyable. It's aggressively mediocre as a whole, but it's got a handful of good episodes and it was never offensively bad/boring for me in the way that Voyager is.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do you think Worf teaches those martial arts classes as part of his job, or is it during his free time?

Worf: Job: fighting, hobby:fighting
Riker: Job: commandering, hobby: sex, sax, fighting
Picard: Job: Leader, hobby: archaeology, reading, eventually music
Troi: Job: Counselor, hobby: stress eating large amounts of chocolate, exercising
Beverly: Job: Doctor, hobby: theater
Data: Job: everything, hobby:everything
Geordi: Job: engineer, hobby: ???

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Beachcomber posted:

Do you think Worf teaches those martial arts classes as part of his job, or is it during his free time?

Worf: Job: fighting, hobby:fighting
Riker: Job: commandering, hobby: sex, sax, fighting
Picard: Job: Leader, hobby: archaeology, reading, eventually music
Troi: Job: Counselor, hobby: stress eating large amounts of chocolate, exercising
Beverly: Job: Doctor, hobby: theater
Data: Job: everything, hobby:everything
Geordi: Job: engineer, hobby: ???

Geordi: Job: engineer, hobby: ??? holodeck pornography

Barclay: Job: engineer, hobby: holodeck pornography

Wesley: Job: death row inmate, hobby: engineering, probably holodeck pornography (I mean, no more than any other 15yo)

I'm sensing a theme.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Speaking of terrible old person makeup, just watched TOS "The Deadly Years". That was certainly a wasted opportunity. They never really tackled the accelerated aging plot head-on, like on a personal level, what it meant to the characters. It was just another "they're sick and have to find a cure". And then they wasted like 15 minutes having a trial to determine whether Kirk is still fit to be captain -- when obviously, no, he isn't, because of his terrible space disease that everyone already knows about. And then Starfleet Outsider Guy kind of reluctantly slipped into the "bureaucrat who doesn't understand how to run a ship" role and drove the ship into the Neutral Zone for no reason and almost got everyone killed by Romulans. Weird episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

Humanity: Job: welfare state, hobby: holodeck pornography

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Picard: Job: Leader, hobby: archaeology, reading, rad dune buggies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that dream is like something out of Lynch, or Jodowoski (with less poo). The episode with Vertigon City feels like it was trying to capture that surreal weirdness of the earlier one.

Vertiform City :colbert: