Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Thank god for parliamentary sovereignty that we don't have to deal with such undemocratic barbarism in the UK.
Those openly gay fencers at the supreme court wish they had that kind of power :fist shake emoji:

1685 was when James II took power, before being replaced by BRUSSELS EUROCRAT William of Orange in the SO CALLED Glorious Revoluton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

Does the last ten years in Germany count

It's pretty funny you're leaving out the actual grand coalition which preceded it.

Though TBH that was probably slightly more rightwing than some of the stuff now.

e: Oh wait there was a gap

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 16, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

It's pretty funny you're leaving out the actual grand coalition which preceded it.

Though TBH that was probably slightly more rightwing than some of the stuff now.
Sorry are you saying it was bad or what here

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

e: Oh wait there was a gap
yes 66-69 was quite a gap until the mid 2000s.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

Sorry are you saying it was bad or what here

I'm not saying it's bad, I just thought the grand coalition went further back. I mean they kinda did, but there were few years of FPD/CDU coalition.

e: I meant 2005, and Schröder before.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 16, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

I'm not saying it's bad, I just thought the grand coalition went further back. I mean they kinda did, but there were few years of FPD/CDU coalition.

e: I meant 2005, and Schroeder before.
The FDP before its utter collapse lately was the traditional coalition partner for both the CDU and SPD.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jBrereton posted:

Does the last ten years in Germany count

A curiosity indeed. The only reason Merkel (barely) needed the SPD in 2013 was because the FDP (aka the German Lib Dems) failed to reach the threshold and went from 93 to 0 seats (!!). So another crushing defeat for the hardcore centrists I guess.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

The FDP before its utter collapse lately was the traditional coalition partner for both the CDU and SPD.

I'm just saying that they were all kinda centrist. I got a bit mixed up in it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord of the Llamas posted:

A curiosity indeed. The only reason Merkel (barely) needed the SPD in 2013 was because the FDP (aka the German Lib Dems) failed to reach the threshold and went from 93 to 0 seats (!!). So another crushing defeat for the hardcore centrists I guess.
Yeah SPD: Die Neue Mitte have been hardcore centrists since the 90s if you think New Labour/PdvA are centrists.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I don't actually know anything about German politics.

e: maybe I shouldn't say that other thing, I dunno

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Yeah SPD: Die Neue Mitte have been hardcore centrists since the 90s if you think New Labour/PdvA are centrists.

I suppose it should be pointed out that "centrism" in Germany includes maintaining the 40 year old law on worker representation on boards, for example.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Maybe we should first agree on a definition for centrist on the right and on the left?

Unless we'd rather a page worth of examples followed by "Actually,"...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I suppose it should be pointed out that "centrism" in Germany includes maintaining the 40 year old law on worker representation on boards, for example.
Doch, but it also includes not having a minimum wage.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Yvette Cooper for head of the party? Yes? No?

Christ no, she's awful.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Doch, but it also includes not having a minimum wage.

Does it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yes until literally 2 years ago there was no proper minimum wage, and like here, it was a Labour/SPD idea that was met with the usual tripe about consenting labour and so on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ no, she's awful.
but is she worse than corbyn?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

but is she worse than corbyn?
Yes.

She chewed out Sadiq Khan for being a bleeding heart commie because he wanted to reduce the prison population. She called Davey 'Passively Tolerant Society' Cameron soft on crime.

Corbyn is far from ideal but at least he's not championing authoritarianism. He's abstaining on it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Which do you think the public agrees with more?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Apparently the public agrees with Theresa May. I don't want her as leader of the Labour Party though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Theresa May as leader of a hot dog stand is already a stretch, TBH

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

Do you think rank populism (which is actually responding to the constant terror narrative of the gutter press rather than the people) produces better actual outcomes?

Fortunately the parties that actually have policies in line with Express op-eds usually get votes in the double figures, so maybe the public don't really agree with that. People seemed to respond positively to Cameron's hug a hoodie/husky/hazeltree stuff when he was calling Labour too tough on crime, even though it was paper thin and thrown away at the first opportunity.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Apparently the public agrees with Theresa May. I don't want her as leader of the Labour Party though.
Unfortunately labour's own voters have more faith in Tess. That's how bad this situation is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Unfortunately labour's own voters have more faith in Tess. That's how bad this situation is.
May as well pack in this whole politics thing then. If everyone agrees with May then whats the point?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
After a two year long fight, the Scottish Government have dropped plans to give over a hundred public bodies access to the NHS Central Register, which was derided by every other party in Holyrood as making Labour's ID cards scheme look timid in comparison.

So there's that. :toot:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't know why I'm posting this because I'm a teensy bit drunk but I want to recommend everyone watches this youtube guy explore some abandoned mines

https://youtu.be/QvXNDU6w-ME

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know why I'm posting this because I'm a teensy bit drunk but I want to recommend everyone watches this youtube guy explore some abandoned mines

https://youtu.be/QvXNDU6w-ME

Hey we watch the same youtube channel. He is very calming.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I am willing to lead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Hey we watch the same youtube channel. He is very calming.

He is, which makes the creepy ones genuinely frightening.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MikeCrotch posted:

I think you are referring to Chuka "The British Barack Obama*" Umunna, whose talents so far have amounted to being a complete charisma vacuum, chucking his lot in with right wing populist ideas at every chance and making a total hash of every media opportunity he's given.

Sounds like a real winner to me.

*(because he edited his own Wikipedia page to say so)

He could also refer to Beep-Boop Burnham, a man designed to be as inoffensive as possible.

In Burnham's credit he managed to triangulate away from neoliberalism as soon as Corbyn's victory made it clear it was opposed within the party. It shows remarkable talent from a Labour politician to figure out different groups of people have different values.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Yes until literally 2 years ago there was no proper minimum wage, and like here, it was a Labour/SPD idea that was met with the usual tripe about consenting labour and so on.

So by "yes" you actually mean "no".

And Germany, apparently the only country where the "centre-left" hasn't been annihilated, is the one with the strongest long term culture of worker rights.

Fancy that.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there's always been a tension between a minimum wage and a labour-dominated labour movement, in the straightforward sense that it extends protections without requiring any sacrifices toward labour struggle, tacitly endorses the legality of any wage above the minimum, and also provokes uncomfortable inter-industry fights over what the minimum should be

this was a bigger sticking point back during the Keynesian era, when the notion of regional or industrial differing rates of inflation was a policy point. there were wages boards that meant something, once, much like Germany today. true, they didn't always set wages at the level you'd like - but neither does a minimum wage, does it?

the UK has settled into a political equilibrium of London/not London in this regard but it wasn't obvious that a detente could be maintained in this way

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ronya posted:

there's always been a tension between a minimum wage and a labour-dominated labour movement, in the straightforward sense that it extends protections without requiring any sacrifices toward labour struggle, tacitly endorses the legality of any wage above the minimum, and also provokes uncomfortable inter-industry fights over what the minimum should be

this was a bigger sticking point back during the Keynesian era, when the notion of regional or industrial differing rates of inflation was a policy point. there were wages boards that meant something, once, much like Germany today. true, they didn't always set wages at the level you'd like - but neither does a minimum wage, does it?

the UK has settled into a political equilibrium of London/not London in this regard but it wasn't obvious that a detente could be maintained in this way

Tie the minimum wage to purchasing power based on gdp without private involvement?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/841764140557438981

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The electoral commission has fined the Tories £70k over the election expenses scandal and forwarded its findings to the Met for criminal investigation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39289195

quote:

The Conservative Party has been fined £70,000 by the Electoral Commission for breaking election expense rules.
The commission's report highlights "numerous failures" in reporting spending on three by-elections in 2014 and the 2015 General Election.
These included missing payments of £104,000 - and £118,000 that was either not reported or incorrectly reported.
The Conservatives said they had accepted last March they had made "an administrative error".
A spokesman added that Labour and the Lib Dems had also been fined and "there needs to be a review of how the Electoral Commission's processes and requirements could be clarified or improved".
The Electoral Commission's chief executive Claire Bassett told BBC Radio 5 live the investigation had taken much longer than necessary because of "some difficulties" in getting information from the Conservative Party.

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/842289247348510720

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 16, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was surprised to find out when I was in Norway last year that neither they nor any of the other Nordic countries have a national minimum wage. Neither do Switzerland or Austria. Instead they all have strong trade union movements and rely on collective bargaining to set wages across industries. I don't know enough about those countries to say whether that is a more effective approach, but certainly when I think inequality and poverty level wages I don't think of Sweden.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Can an expert in Dutch politics fact check this for me please I don't trust this guy.
it's about time someone brought mccaine back

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

So it turns out I booked an appointment with an Osteopath thinking that it was actually a physiotherapist. Do I cancel and book with a real physio or is it basically fine?

I'm just looking for some to help me sort my extremely tight hamstrings.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

it's about time someone brought mccaine back

Firos posted:

So it turns out I booked an appointment with an Osteopath thinking that it was actually a physiotherapist. Do I cancel and book with a real physio or is it basically fine?

I'm just looking for some to help me sort my extremely tight hamstrings.

Cancel. Get a physio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

big scary monsters posted:

I was surprised to find out when I was in Norway last year that neither they nor any of the other Nordic countries have a national minimum wage. Neither do Switzerland or Austria. Instead they all have strong trade union movements and rely on collective bargaining to set wages across industries. I don't know enough about those countries to say whether that is a more effective approach, but certainly when I think inequality and poverty level wages I don't think of Sweden.

I have a few Norwegian relatives and they live very well, although they're not in entry level jobs. My understanding is that quality of life is good across the board though.

• Locked thread