Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

You can't save images with with transparent backgrounds can you? It still saves the transparent portion as solid white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah I guess that's true. it handles transparency only when its being edited.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gonna guess it still saves as bmp when png exists

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it has png

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
but it can't save the transparency lol

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
at least they warn you about it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SupSuper posted:

at least they warn you about it

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ye olde microsoft docs were top notch. i literally learned programming from them (jscript and vba chm files :swoon:).

I installed MSVC 1.x on my Win3.1 machine and it includes the entire SDK, MFC, C, C++, and god knows what else references in .hlp files

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

clicking the help button in file explorer still brings up a bing search of how to get help in explorer

someone at microsoft saw "let me google that for you" and decided to just turn the whole os into that

shamelessly reposting from the email thread

nothing has changed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the paint complaints are pretty misplaced though, microsoft ships extremely few programs with windows which it intends to be a competitive entry into its category of software. they beat the mac and friends by courting third party developers on both the hardware and software side, and randomly competing with their collaborators in stuff which was not of vital importance is a losing stratey (in contrast to i.e. recognizing relatively early in the 90s that the internet would be too important to leave tcp/ip and browsers to the likes of Trumpet Software international and Mosaic Communications Corporation, or more recently going head-to-head with the laughable security industry on antivirus/malware software for similar reasons)

billy g. was not a stupid man all told

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trumpet Winsock lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the paint complaints are pretty misplaced though, microsoft ships extremely few programs with windows which it intends to be a competitive entry into its category of software. they beat the mac and friends by courting third party developers on both the hardware and software side, and randomly competing with their collaborators in stuff which was not of vital importance is a losing stratey (in contrast to i.e. recognizing relatively early in the 90s that the internet would be too important to leave tcp/ip and browsers to the likes of Trumpet Software international and Mosaic Communications Corporation, or more recently going head-to-head with the laughable security industry on antivirus/malware software for similar reasons)

billy g. was not a stupid man all told

sounds like a bunch of lovely excuses to make lovely software to me tbqh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh but see, ms made lovely software on purpose.. they are the true puppet masters..

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Celexi posted:

but it can't save the transparency lol

what about the transparency of the 3d models it has for some reason now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't have the creators update installed cause I'm not in the beta ring but i imagine transparency is fixed there. mspaint largely hasn't changed since windows 3.1

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i don't have the creators update installed cause I'm not in the beta ring but i imagine transparency is fixed there. mspaint largely hasn't changed since windows 3.1

wrong it has a ribbon now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Wheany posted:

what about the transparency of the 3d models it has for some reason now
it's smart, because they saw the vaporwave image trend & decided to release software to easily make your own

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

but does it have ads yet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mspaint with layer support would feel both incredibly wrong and oh so right

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i mean, i'd still use photoshop because i'm not an animal but it's always nice to fix the basement up a bit

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

one of these days i need to get around to developing the spiritual modern successor to jasc animation shop and then making a billion dollars from all of the professional gifsmiths

i will undercut photoshop and charge only $69.42 for a perpetual license

there will be a free version that inserts a single frame of "sfw" goatse for every 1000 frames saved

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Every so often I think that I should take the GIMP and fork it to make a clone of Paint Shop Pro 6 but then I come to my senses

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have never heard it reported, but the fact that gimp keeps being such a trainwreck has to be down to some deep project dysfunction. i think most people would indeed be far happier with psp6

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I thought everyone just used paint.net anyways

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Luigi Thirty posted:

and now for a special announcement about ribbons

they're trash

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I thought everyone just used paint.net anyways

I know I do, and pinta in linux

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i use pixelmator

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i use deluxe paint iii

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a bit surprising though, i will grant, that microsoft has never gone for having some bundled software which just demos the latest features etc.

in fact, microsoft has historically been terrible at showing off their own stuff, office certainly breaks with all expectations that they have for others. the one really notable demonstration that microsoft can themselves make uwp apps is that they did make a good version of onenote for the store, and the new version of skype, which also works really well

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

it is a bit surprising though, i will grant, that microsoft has never gone for having some bundled software which just demos the latest features etc.

in fact, microsoft has historically been terrible at showing off their own stuff, office certainly breaks with all expectations that they have for others. the one really notable demonstration that microsoft can themselves make uwp apps is that they did make a good version of onenote for the store, and the new version of skype, which also works really well
all that changed with windows 10 and the microsoft app store, so now you can see tiles in your start menu for solitaire or xbox

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mspaint and solitaire were both tech demos for early windows. mspaint has only been very barely updated and solitaire they made a uwp for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

probably still a bit gunshy after the eu put a foot up their rear end over bundling

also being like the only company in the history of america to ever be sanctioned for antitrust

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

also being like the only company in the history of america to ever be sanctioned for antitrust
oh, word?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's hyperbole

but you don't see google getting their poo poo pushed in, do you?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the case against Microsoft was total horseshit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

History did not exist prior to my birth

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

go to the Activation pane in Settings and quintuple-click the word "Windows" at the top

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the case against Microsoft was total horseshit
they were doing all sorts of shady poo poo with their commercial licensing but the ie case was an easier win so they went for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

it's hyperbole

but you don't see google getting their poo poo pushed in, do you?
not sure what us antitrust laws you think google's been breaking

• Locked thread