Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I wish we had more kawaii fanart of 2B and 9S

And less of this:

Alder fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still in awe after a few hours of finishing the game. They've loving done it. This is how a sequel should be done. I don't remember the last game where a sequel improved and elevated all aspects in almost every level. It kinda helps that the original was flawed in many ways and it was kinda easy to notice where it had budget restrictions.

But man, even in the areas where the first Nier shined bright like the soundtrack they turned that motherfucker up to eleven. The new singer really added a new flair to the songs and the seamless 8-bit transition was just genius, it shows their effort and reminded me of Drakengard 3's intoner mode where they recorded entire voiced tracks that only played in very short segments during your "devil trigger". I really hope this is the beginning of a very good friendship between platinum and yoko taro.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just started the game on hard... and holy poo poo. Long unskippable cutscenes, no saving, and 1 hit ko's? Most of what I'm reading online says that normal is way too easy and poses next to no challenge, but hard continues to be a masochistic 1 hit ko deal the whole way though?

Any chance of difficulty rebalancing down the road via patch? The demo seemed to have a more reasonable hard mode. If not, what difficulty should I go with? I'd like the game to be a challenge, but I don't really have time enough to be losing huge chunks of progress, and being forced to rewatch the same unskippable cutscenes is driving me nuts. Does hard mode become more manageable after the introductory section is done and saving becomes possible?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Arcanen posted:

Just started the game on hard... and holy poo poo. Long unskippable cutscenes, no saving, and 1 hit ko's? Most of what I'm reading online says that normal is way too easy and poses next to no challenge, but hard continues to be a masochistic 1 hit ko deal the whole way though?

Any chance of difficulty rebalancing down the road via patch? The demo seemed to have a more reasonable hard mode. If not, what difficulty should I go with? I'd like the game to be a challenge, but I don't really have time enough to be losing huge chunks of progress, and being forced to rewatch the same unskippable cutscenes is driving me nuts. Does hard mode become more manageable after the introductory section is done and saving becomes possible?

Yeah, this is one of the low points for me, it kinda seems like a bug. Normal is way too easy, to the point where it's almost impossible to die once you get the right upgrades. Hard is balls to the wall impossible and this game carries a very heavy penalty for death later on.

At least normal gets a bit harder as you advance, it's still fun. I could do with a harder mode between these two, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arcanen posted:

Do the intro on Normal.
Use the RPG systems in the game to counter the difficulties you're having with Hard mode. It's genuinely not bad, even if it's not good. It's the definition of average, basically.

I'd say a large part of this is the game's fault for not explaining the systems well, but people just seem allergic and clueless when it comes to actually playing this RPG as an RPG. If you're getting hit too hard, up your defence. If you aren't hitting hard enough, up your attack.

Hard is hard, it's called hard, it's meant to be hard. It's not even close to unmanageable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't start on hard, if you want to play hard then just wait till you get past the prologue and can save to change it.

Normal does get harder.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

alright well then Just seems massively short sighted? Starting the game it seems like the androids on the surface basically need Yorha because they are losing pretty badly, and I must imagine the machines control the vast majority of the planet. Setting up for the lie to keep everyone happy only seems to work for me if the androids have things firmly in control to begin with.
All endings spoilers

There's no small implication that the people who created YoRHa are the machine lifeforms and the games intel files outright confirm that there is never a point in time where Androids were in danger of losing the war as the machines were only interested in pushing the Androids as far as they needed to actively fulfil the orders of the Aliens while also advancing themselves. If they were to definitively win the war, they would be violating the order of fighting their enemies. The fact that this is the 14th Machine War also kind of suggests that this is a loop where the Machines make a YoRHa which them implodes and is used to make the next cycle of the Machine War's combatant's more advanced. This cycle may be broken by the combination of ending D,E and Emil's Fists, where the Machine leaders leave earth on their ark, Pod's rebuild the three remaining YoRHa (I think this is a bit of an oversight on Taro's part, there are NPC YoRHa during C/D who live and seem out of danger but details) and openly suggest it might just play out again. Emil's Fists also suggest the Machine Network comes back so maybe they didn't break it so maybe it's just all as it was intended and everything in the game is futile.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Route c has me crying at the end goddamnit

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All endings spoilers

There's no small implication that the people who created YoRHa are the machine lifeforms and the games intel files outright confirm that there is never a point in time where Androids were in danger of losing the war as the machines were only interested in pushing the Androids as far as they needed to actively fulfil the orders of the Aliens while also advancing themselves. If they were to definitively win the war, they would be violating the order of fighting their enemies. The fact that this is the 14th Machine War also kind of suggests that this is a loop where the Machines make a YoRHa which them implodes and is used to make the next cycle of the Machine War's combatant's more advanced. This cycle may be broken by the combination of ending D,E and Emil's Fists, where the Machine leaders leave earth on their ark, Pod's rebuild the three remaining YoRHa (I think this is a bit of an oversight on Taro's part, there are NPC YoRHa during C/D who live and seem out of danger but details) and openly suggest it might just play out again. Emil's Fists also suggest the Machine Network comes back so maybe they didn't break it so maybe it's just all as it was intended and everything in the game is futile.

Don't the game files state that other androids created YoRHa? The Terminal Girls do eventually infiltrate their systems (during the current YoRHa cycle/beginning of the game, according to one of the World Guide short stories) but my understanding is that the initial project was conceived by android leadership who were concerned about their fellow androids losing all purpose/will to live. Hence the myth of humanity's survival and the creation of YoRHa black boxes utilizing code from machine cores (since to use standard android AI on disposable units would be considered 'inhumane'). I think it's just a coincidence that the android and machine goals ended up aligning the way they did.

It makes the YoRHa units double freaks of nature since they're not fully androids OR machines, something I thought informed 9S' existential crisis during Route C/D.

dazat fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 16, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

Don't the game files state that other androids created YoRHa? The Terminal Girls do eventually infiltrate their systems (during the current YoRHa cycle/beginning of the game, according to one of the World Guide short stories) but my understanding is that the initial project was conceived by android leadership who were concerned about their fellow androids losing all purpose/will to live. Hence the myth of humanity's survival and the creation of YoRHa black boxes utilizing code from machine cores (since to use standard android AI on disposable units would be considered 'inhumane'). I think it's just a coincidence that the android and machine goals ended up aligning the way they did.

It makes the YoRHa units double freaks of nature since they're not fully androids OR machines, something I thought informed 9S' existential crisis during Route C/D.

I dunno, it's all a bit weird. Almost Chicken and Egg. As an example, not one to say it's definitively how it is: Machines creating Androids that create YoRHa to inspire the fight against Machines so that Machines continue their primary objective. Like, there's probably a circular logic aspect to the creation of YoRHa and its subprojects as a whole

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Do you ever get to go back to the factory in route A or is that something for later routes?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr President posted:

Do you ever get to go back to the factory in route A or is that something for later routes?

Both.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Ok because I keep trying to go back after each boss encounter but the way seems blocked.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr President posted:

Ok because I keep trying to go back after each boss encounter but the way seems blocked.

No it isn't, you just need to jump onto the highway.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

Someone has translated a section of what I'm assuming is the JP Black Box edition art book (someone, anyone, please get me scans, I'll translate the heck out of them!!!)

It's translated into English already - the artbook contains both Japanese and English versions of the same text (I can always scan them in for you if you'd like). I thought it was an in-game quote I hadn't come across yet. That Neogaf post omits this notice:

quote:

- Transmission deleted due to violation of confidentiality clauses

I'll stick them behind this link as I'm not sure how spoilery some are. Here's some of the other ones I guess:
Potential Spoilers? :siren:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd like to see scans of absolutely anything cool from the book(s) because it would be really cool.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I'd like to see scans of absolutely anything cool from the book(s) because it would be really cool.

Probably have to be later as I've got to leave for work soon - there's not much there that hasn't already been seen honestly. Even the World Guide Book is a little disappointing compared to Grimoire Nier - there's a neat breakdown of the YoRHa mecha, and the basic machines, but that's it. No boss or character concepts. And no weapon list breakdown.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Probably have to be later as I've got to leave for work soon - there's not much there that hasn't already been seen honestly. Even the World Guide Book is a little disappointing compared to Grimoire Nier - there's a neat breakdown of the YoRHa mecha, and the basic machines, but that's it. No boss or character concepts. And no weapon list breakdown.

Don't put yourself out or exert extra effort on my behalf, if you get around to scanning stuff whenever, that's good for me. Just letting you know there's at least one person interested if you do it in the end.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I dunno, it's all a bit weird. Almost Chicken and Egg. As an example, not one to say it's definitively how it is: Machines creating Androids that create YoRHa to inspire the fight against Machines so that Machines continue their primary objective. Like, there's probably a circular logic aspect to the creation of YoRHa and its subprojects as a whole

Still post Ending E spoilers.One of the things mentioned is that they intentionally created black boxes with machine core tech as the base because otherwise they considered creating sacrificial androids inhumane. That sounds like android reasoning. It stands to reason that the machines interested in stimulating their own evolution wouldn't give a gently caress about a detail like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Still post Ending E spoilers.One of the things mentioned is that they intentionally created black boxes with machine core tech as the base because otherwise they considered creating sacrificial androids inhumane. That sounds like android reasoning. It stands to reason that the machines interested in stimulating their own evolution wouldn't give a gently caress about a detail like that.

True, but again, are they getting the raw mats from Machine Cores of dead machines or were they provided the means to make machine cores and branched off from there? The reasoning isn't especially necessary in a sense, rather the means and reasonings of why and how they first came to use these Machine Core hybrids, rather than the why they use them so to speak. That's another aspect of the chicken and egg type thing I think there might be at play.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 16, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished Ending E. That was the most emotional credits sequence I've ever been through. I'm so happy and hopeful.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I just realised something, the machine cores you loot aren't used to craft or upgrade anything, but are still the highest valued items in the game selling for 20k! a piece to the vendors. So what are they even for if we are never told and are seemingly useless to the player?

They are shipped up to HQ in order to make new hybrid black boxes of yourself to be murdered later on, perpetuating your own demise.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 16, 2017

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Partway into route C you can buy a specific set of cores from Pascal. Do these do anything or are they really just for reselling like the description says?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty sure it's just meant as a gut punch. I never found a purpose for them after never reselling them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They don't do anything.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

Partway into route C you can buy a specific set of cores from Pascal. Do these do anything or are they really just for reselling like the description says?

They are the cores of the children that commit suicide, but since Pascal has no memory of them anymore, he does not attempt to rebuild them, selling them off instead. Probably just assuming they are cores from the mindless networked robots.

But no, they are useless......to the player.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That's what I figured, but of course I bought them anyway.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I was kind of hyped about this game from the demo, but the more I've seen the more it looks like you play as a gothic lolita android with giant floating/teleporting weapons killing cute robots. Like as fun as the gameplay might be, I can't get behind any of that, so I'm wondering if you can change outfits to something less awful and if the cute little robots are just one type of enemy and there's more of a variety?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Not really and no.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

I was kind of hyped about this game from the demo, but the more I've seen the more it looks like you play as a gothic lolita android with giant floating/teleporting weapons killing cute robots. Like as fun as the gameplay might be, I can't get behind any of that, so I'm wondering if you can change outfits to something less awful and if the cute little robots are just one type of enemy and there's more of a variety?

Steam/PSN sale it based on this, imo.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
drat, well thanks, that's all I needed to know. I'll wait til it's cheap.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

drat, well thanks, that's all I needed to know. I'll wait til it's cheap.

The enemy design in this game is really good, but it sort of all follows a similar theme: many of the enemies have those big-eyed robot heads someplace on them, but there's a decent amount of varied enemy types, including flying vehicles, three size variations of the basic grunt, the basic enemy type with a variety of costumes and unique weapons (some wield buzz saws, for example) and then there's boss enemies, really large enemies, and then there are a few weirder enemies, like a sort of artillery thing and snakes.

I love fighting the enemies in this game, particularly because they have so much character and personality to their designs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty annoyed that walking away from Pascal doesn't have more of a pay off.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am pretty annoyed that walking away from Pascal doesn't have more of a pay off.

don't worry he probably just kills himself in that scenario

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

don't worry he probably just kills himself in that scenario

Ah. Probably for the best.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It lets you know that you are actually the flesh and blood incarnation of Satan.

If wide enemy variety is a requirement to you, this game legit does fail on that front. The enemies that this game does have are really endearing and have more charm to them than you'd imagine a bunch of samey looking robots would have. In real terms, you could use the designs of the enemies in this game in a kids cartoon with next to no changes.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

extreme enemy variety is a weak point for a lot of of platinum games, i think MGR is the biggest example of it. i've never really felt like it was an issue in this game, but i guess if someone doesnt care for enemy recolors than it could be an issue

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I think the machines not having much variety, while also being so cute and useless in the first half of the game would be fine if in the second half the hacking they do would constantly mess up your weapons/jumping/vision/chips/etc. But they only time I remember that being a sudden threat was when the virus first takes over YoRHa and they completely blinded me.

After that the machines don't really bother doing it much so they go back to non threatening pushovers. Shame, I would have loved random effects like taking away the players ability do dodge or disabling a chip to be the increase in difficulty instead of just more HP/Damage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amusement park bots > Suit bot > [others] > Jean-Paul Sartre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just bought the Day 1 edition on Steam... it has probably been 3+ years since I bought a game at full price on release (ok except Pokemon Moon, but my mom bought it for me for X-Mas so I don't count that) but I was gonna buy an entire PS4 Pro with my tax return, but I'm waiting until any of the AAA games I want, Like Horizon/Bloodborne/Nioh go on sale.

I got my fresh 360 controller handy, I got my new computer ready to rock, I am so excited to drop 40 hours on this game this weekend.