Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Nuebot posted:

On the flipside, someone maxing out a team of poo poo tier characters like bedile with a full set of TMs could be hilarious.

B..but that's my normal team...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If Bedile took Equip Staves from Roselia's TM, Dual Wield from Zidane, and Barrage from Luna and barraged with the Golem Staff he'd have a chance at winning! I dunno what to do about the Ling though, equip a Ribbon and hope she constantly does non-threatening/healing dances?

e: also assuming he got first turn / didn't blow up when noctis looked at him

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I lost that arena match cause I didn't get to go first and Noctis is a filthy loving cheater. Otherwise they would've got Bediled.

Gonna need some bigger Prey...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scrublord Prime posted:

If Bedile took Equip Staves from Roselia's TM, Dual Wield from Zidane, and Barrage from Luna and barraged with the Golem Staff he'd have a chance at winning! I dunno what to do about the Ling though, equip a Ribbon and hope she constantly does non-threatening/healing dances?

e: also assuming he got first turn / didn't blow up when noctis looked at him

What about equipping Noctis' TM and casting death every round?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna seal his Lightning...thundara blade go!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What about equipping Noctis' TM and casting death every round?

That'd work perfectly :getin:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Scrublord Prime posted:

That'd work perfectly :getin:

Does dual cast work on that? Because a dual cast death bedile would be hilarious.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I hosed up. I used Thundara Blade when I should've used Thundaga Blade. It wasn't powerful enough. Don't worry though, I've got him on my farm team. Won't be long before I have my revenge..

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2017

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
37.7% too many

how vile

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Does dual cast work on that? Because a dual cast death bedile would be hilarious.

I'd assume so, I thought that ring gives the normal spell version of its spells so dual cast should be fine. An army of dual death casting and golem staff barrage Bediles would be amazing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'd assume so, I thought that ring gives the normal spell version of its spells so dual cast should be fine. An army of dual death casting and golem staff barrage Bediles would be amazing.

Fill up their remaining slots with either evades or counters just to make them slightly more annoying to deal with.

EDIT: So legit question here. Is Lasswell gay? Because it really seems like it.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

So legit question here. Is Lasswell gay? Because it really seems like it.

He's certainly got that old-fashioned honor that modern ladies find sexyhilarious, doesn't he? Old-fashioned and emotionally distant/unable/unwilling to show weakness isn't gay, though. I definitely see what's triggering your confusion here, but until Lasswell makes a move, we have to assume they're just hetero life-mates. Snoogans. Noonch.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
After the 17th how long do we have to claim on the bonus banner?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Alright, goons. What do you want me to friendzone: Ling, Ace or Emperor? Thinking a defense-hardened Ling, since I don't TM grind.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He's certainly got that old-fashioned honor that modern ladies find sexyhilarious, doesn't he? Old-fashioned and emotionally distant/unable/unwilling to show weakness isn't gay, though. I definitely see what's triggering your confusion here, but until Lasswell makes a move, we have to assume they're just hetero life-mates. Snoogans. Noonch.

I'm still before fire shrine and he tells Fina he wants to be with Rain forever. Then after Rain apologizes for getting mad at him he runs off saying he can't put his feelings into words. Then he takes a gutshot for Rain. I find it hard to believe this doesn't end with him admitting his love for his bff.

EDIT:

Varance posted:

Alright, goons. What do you want me to friendzone: Ling, Ace or Emperor? Thinking a defense-hardened Ling, since I don't TM grind.

Apparently if you slap on some fire resist to her she easily reaches 100% which makes this upcoming raid a lot easier and your friends might appreciate that.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I'm still before fire shrine and he tells Fina he wants to be with Rain forever. Then after Rain apologizes for getting mad at him he runs off saying he can't put his feelings into words. Then he takes a gutshot for Rain. I find it hard to believe this doesn't end with him admitting his love for his bff.

That was my take as well. Definitely walking into Brokeback territory. I hope the writers have the balls to go through with it.

edit: I never watched Brokeback Mountain so that was potentially a terrible analogy.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 16, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Apparently if you slap on some fire resist to her she easily reaches 100% which makes this upcoming raid a lot easier and your friends might appreciate that.

I set her up with 4600+ HP, Fire immunity, Auto-Shell and Auto-Protect. Have at it, goons:

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 16, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dangerous.hotdog posted:

That was my take as well. Definitely walking into Brokeback territory. I hope the writers have the balls to go through with it.

edit: I never watched Brokeback Mountain so that was potentially a terrible analogy.

It would be amusing if the first openly gay FF character came from a mobile game. Unless there's been someone that's taken that award I missed.

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

As someone just starting out, it seems like I should focus on building up a solid core of five characters and then branch out from there.

My thought behind this is that a core team allows you to farm harder content faster, even if the characters themselves are slightly suboptimal. Is this the right way to go?

Right now I'm on the third continent with the following team I intend to max:

Seven, Rain, Firion, CoD, and Luka

Am I going to be screwed over in the endgame because rain isn't tanky enough?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dockworker posted:

As someone just starting out, it seems like I should focus on building up a solid core of five characters and then branch out from there.

My thought behind this is that a core team allows you to farm harder content faster, even if the characters themselves are slightly suboptimal. Is this the right way to go?

Not necessarily. Cecil is a good tank and he's got a rate up coming on the player's choice banner in a day or two. Even then you can always rely more on friend units. That's what a lot of people who aren't entirely up to par yet do, what I still do as I'm farming the last few TMs needed to bring my first character up to solid DPS standards. A lot of goons have really good characters and regularly offer up spots for newer players.

EDIT: Like the guy below me said, daily rolls on this banner are an excellent idea. Refia is on it too and she's right up there with Luka in terms of being a good healer. Zidane is also getting a rate up and Dual Wield can turn most units into decent DPS, and make almost any good DPS into a great one, same for Chizaru and her TM.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dockworker posted:

Having a core team is a great start, but you'll want to diversify over time. And by over time, I mean upcoming event banners, because this game has some pretty heavy power creep coming in the next few months (6* Warrior of Light, Agrias, Rikku, etc)

As for Rain, you're fine there. Rain has really good buffs through his Leadership skill that will carry your team for a while. Seek out Warrior of Light and/or Cecil over the long term as his replacement. As the previous poster said, make sure you do daily half-price pull on the player's choice banner. If you get even a couple of the gold crystal units, you'll be in a much better place.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

It would be amusing if the first openly gay FF character came from a mobile game. Unless there's been someone that's taken that award I missed.

We'll see I guess, I'm still going with hetero life-mates until proven otherwise. Possible cultural differences with regard to masculinity, etc.

It's all good either way, really.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Honestly, Laswell being gay would be the only thing that would make his characterization and actions go from being stupid cliche to actually kind of well thought out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ah yes, the japanese gaming community, a very likely source to add a gay character or handle it well.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So I've also been trying to figure out what to do with my team as well. Currently I have Bartz (6*), Olive (6*), Kefka (5*), Terra (4*), Luka (4) Queen(5), Garland (3), Nine (4), Gaffgarion (4), and Vanille (4).

My plan was to pull hard on the upcoming banner, and basically wait until Kefka and Terra's 6* come to upgrade them, and have my base team as Bartz, Olive, Kefka, Terra, Luka until I get better units. Is this the best plan? Should I plan on using Queen instead of Kefka permanently until I get someone to replace Queen? Should I start investing in Garland since he will also be getting an upgrade sometime soon?

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 16, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've updated the 6* charts. Before someone yells at me for listing Minfilia as an offhealer, keep in mind that she has a global-exclusive materia that gives her a 20% chance to counter attacks with Curaja. If her rating on ExviusWiki isn't a 12.0 or 12.5, I'm calling bullshit.

Edit: Decided to go with a different format.

Current Gacha 6* Characters:

Rare 6* Characters:

Common 6* Characters:

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 16, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Saw someone suggest "Archers should get ignore 100%DEF passives cause they suck!" with the reply being "The way the game's formulas work that would mean they'd do Infinity amount of damage" and man this game has some messed up phrasing for damage calculation.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

HGH posted:

Saw someone suggest "Archers should get ignore 100%DEF passives cause they suck!" with the reply being "The way the game's formulas work that would mean they'd do Infinity amount of damage" and man this game has some messed up phrasing for damage calculation.

I do think bows should get buffed in some way since they can't compare to one hand weapons in any way.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Even without the Global Doublehand nerf they'd still be outclassed because of the characters who use them. The strongest archer in JP right now is magic based to boot.

Also apparently they just changed the name for Gilgamesh's Divider into Snowpetal, AKA the Romancing Saga skill.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Cupid Artemios is a pretty good bow user we get in Global, but even the big ATK increase he gets for using a bow doesn't compare to using a thrown weapon and dagger with dual wield.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
We need Exploding Arrows

Like Rambo

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mischalaniouse posted:

Cupid Artemios is a pretty good bow user we get in Global, but even the big ATK increase he gets for using a bow doesn't compare to using a thrown weapon and dagger with dual wield.

This. For being the best bow user in both versions, Cupid Artemios is still pretty weak compared to other characters of his caliber if wielding a bow. He only reaches his true potential if you dual wield Locke's Rising Sun or Ling's Venomous Edge.

... and you're better off giving those to another character. Getting a character better than Cupid Arty is not terribly difficult.

Varance fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 16, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Welp, pulled Ramza just now on my daily pull. So long black belt gi.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

hamsystem posted:

Welp, pulled Ramza just now on my daily pull. So long black belt gi.

I got my eighth exdeath. So long exdeath.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Used a ticket on the Gilgamesh Vanquisherd banner and got the one that can kill Gilgamesh in less than one hit

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Armitage posted:

Used.l a ticket on the Gilgamesh Vanquisherd banner and got the one that can kill Gilgamesh in less than one hit

I tried to one shot him last night and failed.

Cartoon Man posted:

Gonna seal his Lightning...thundara blade go!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Ya I know, if everybody's buddy Bedile can't do it then Cyan probably can't either.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Well, final daily pull for this banner was an Edge. After all dailies and 20 tickets I ended up with one Bartz, two Exdeath and one Agrias for banner units. Going to just walk away accepting that Ramza just wasn't in the cards.

Now to do dailies and a couple tickets on Players Choice, not get Noctis for the 2nd banner now, and be really disappointed.

But hey, luck has to turn around eventually, right?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't get any banner units this banner. I had all of them already except Ramza, but another one of any of them would be nice.

Got Cerius today!

Also, I can't believe no one asked about Blue Magic at PAX. I can believe I forgot about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Varance posted:

I set her up with 4600+ HP, Fire immunity, Auto-Shell and Auto-Protect. Have at it, goons:

I think I might be able to swing something like that with Ling too, I'll mess around with my options once it's time to toss Queen back on the bench.

• Locked thread