Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
ME1 was awesome because it introduced an entirely new universe and focused simultaneously on exploration, world building with lots of little details, and social interactions on different scales, as well as the standard action rpg elements. some were hamhanded or could have used more polish like the mako and resource collection and repetitive space bases, but rolling around in my space tank had it's charms and there were a lot of beautiful outdoor environments

ME2 turned it all into a shooting gallery game, and that part was an improvement, while trying to keep the personal social interaction elements, but it gutted all the exploration aspects

ME3 has pointless giant silver robot titties, dialog that perpetually didn't really make sense when it wasn't just cringe inducing, and this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
robot titties was the best part

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're playing the third game in a series then space games suck fantasy games rule consider:

Bad:
Star Control 3
Mass effect 3

Good:
Dark Souls 3
Witcher 3

There are probably even more examples.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
me1 is terrible on many levels, and thinking it is the best one means you are stupid

i still haven't played 3 but 2 was better in every conceivable way and I look forward to whatever star trek spergy reason you have for thinking 1 was better

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DrPossum posted:

ME1 was awesome because it introduced an entirely new universe and focused simultaneously on exploration, world building with lots of little details, and social interactions on different scales, as well as the standard action rpg elements. some were hamhanded or could have used more polish like the mako and resource collection and repetitive space bases, but rolling around in my space tank had it's charms and there were a lot of beautiful outdoor environments

ME2 turned it all into a shooting gallery game, and that part was an improvement, while trying to keep the personal social interaction elements, but it gutted all the exploration aspects

ME3 has pointless giant silver robot titties, dialog that perpetually didn't really make sense when it wasn't just cringe inducing, and this guy

ok so you are one of the idiots who liked pointlessly wasting time in mako, rolling over endless flat surfaces with lovely textures stretched over them, and are just edgy about me3 *fills out yospos.xls*

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DrPossum posted:

what a surprise, nonsense about universe building and exploration (of super boring environments) . who could have predicted spergy non reasons????

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

theflyingorc posted:

what a surprise, nonsense about universe building and exploration (of super boring environments) . who could have predicted spergy non reasons????

no u

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ok so you are one of the idiots who liked pointlessly wasting time in mako, rolling over endless flat surfaces with lovely textures stretched over them, and are just edgy about me3 *fills out yospos.xls*

don't forget different gravity mechanics

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DrPossum posted:

don't forget different gravity mechanics
pls spare me

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DID YOU SEE THAT YAW CONTROL?!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
lol my friend is an animator at bioware im gonna ask him wtf is up with this poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Shaggar posted:

robot titties was the best part

hell yeah they was dope

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

lol my friend is an animator at bioware im gonna ask him wtf is up with this poo poo

its his fault

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mass effect is kotor but bad

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

mass effect is kotor but bad

so its kotor 2

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

the level design in all the masses effect is terrible. there's so many dead ends, weird pointless hallways, and tons of unused space

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this came up in a search result for a song on youtube and im so glad it did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
mass effect 3 was really bad about making any choices matter beyond getting +5 war points

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
heres the only good thing to come out of mass effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

mass effect 3 was really bad about making any choices matter beyond getting +5 war points

They painted themselves into a corner by saying during ME 1 and 2 "ohhhhh these choices are going to matter somedayyyyy, its all going to tie together you'll see" and of course it turns out thats a lot harder than it looks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah but the genophage ending in ME3 was really satisfying

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

ADINSX posted:

so its kotor 2

kotor2 is way better than any mass effect game and kotor2 wasn't even finished

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

They painted themselves into a corner by saying during ME 1 and 2 "ohhhhh these choices are going to matter somedayyyyy, its all going to tie together you'll see" and of course it turns out thats a lot harder than it looks.

witcher does this so much better than ME (and pretty much every other game out there) that its laughable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ADINSX posted:

so its kotor 2

kotor 2 was great

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kuvo posted:

witcher does this so much better than ME (and pretty much every other game out there) that its laughable

witcher 3 is absolutely incredible in terms of writing, it's basically beyond what I thought was possible in a videogame

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

the level design in all the masses effect is terrible. there's so many dead ends, weird pointless hallways, and tons of unused space

lmao don't sign your posts

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Shaggar posted:

kotor 2 was great

:agreed:

never played kotor 1 though, so i guess i can't compare them. i've got a copy on steam but can never get it to run stably.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kotor 2 is a better game and story but you need 3rd party mods/patches to play it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

DrPossum posted:

ADINSX posted:

i worked on retail training material for me3 when it came out and it convinced me not to bother playing it. the messaging was all "don't worry about the previous games! those were like prequels and don't matter! this is the real adventure!"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

lmao don't sign your posts

:nallears:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i worked on retail training material for me3 when it came out and it convinced me not to bother playing it. the messaging was all "don't worry about the previous games! those were like prequels and don't matter! this is the real adventure!"

I like how they tried to cram in every character you ever came across in the previous games to chat about the choice you made in that game. "Oh hey Shepard its me, some guy, remember that thing you did? It really helped me out/hurt me, alright see ya!"

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Cripes, people. pics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kuvo posted:

it is based on a preexisting book series, that probably cuts down on a lot of legwork

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

put me in there under 'ME1 was the only good entry in the series'

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

all i want is ultra deadly bizarre life forms

please EA :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

DrPossum posted:

i did and i will listen to people when they say 2 was better even though they're wrong and it outs them as having brain damage

holy poo poo 3 was just loving stupid on every level

agreed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Salt Fish posted:

If you're playing the third game in a series then space games suck fantasy games rule consider:

Bad:
Star Control 3
Mass effect 3

Good:
Dark Souls 3
Witcher 3

There are probably even more examples.

counterpoint: dragon age 3

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cinci zoo sniper posted:

must optimize gaming experience. no time for having fun driving around with a space tank jetpack car... must increase numbers as fast as possible!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/842126228182192128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/aj9ZXsx.gifv

• Locked thread