Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

So it is a stool.

No, it has a back.

Edit: 1987. My parents move to England from Scotland. I blame Thatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
It's a bad chair either way. Get (your boss to buy you) an Aeron or something of similar quality.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why would the lead guitarist buy you an office chair? That's just gonna look silly

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

This is far from the worst poll we've seen since May took over. What warrants the "holy gently caress"? UKIP collapsing within reach of the Greens?

The Tories raising taxes, breaking a manifesto pledge, getting a monstering from the press and then going up in the polls is also pretty shocking.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
people always love the heel

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

The Tories raising taxes, breaking a manifesto pledge, getting a monstering from the press and then going up in the polls is also pretty shocking.

That's what happens when there is no functioning opposition.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/842372281347264512

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Functioning Opposition smiles as it waves its hands in arcane patterns, revealing the true and hidden nature of all things. "That bad stuff? It's actually... bad"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JFairfax posted:

people always love the heel

Incidentally, people also are heels

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

The Functioning Opposition smiles as it waves its hands in arcane patterns, revealing the true and hidden nature of all things. "That bad stuff? It's actually... bad"
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

That's what happens when there is no functioning opposition.

No. this is what happens when people like what the government is doing. They have no need or desire for an opposition. If they were pissed off they could put a vote in for the mysterious 'other' or none of the above.

No one planned for this scenario. The scenario of 'what happens if a population votes against its interests and shows no sign of stopping?' we now know. The survivors form circular firing squads and engage in increasingly banal arguements while the country collapses.

This idea that Labour could be doing well is so naive. They could have the best leader in the world and it wouldn't matter. There is no demand for traditional Labour ideals. Leftist or centrist. The poor were told by the Tories and ukip that all their ills were because of immigrants and other poor people. And it worked. The damage is done. A generation of working class are now hardcore Tory base. These people aren't staying away from Labour because of Corbyn, they're staying away because anything left of centre-right is wish washy loonyleft that broke are britane. Corbyn isn't helping matters I agree, but he wasn't the one that poisoned the well. That was done over time by an adept Tory disinformation campaign. Now Labour are associated with 'lazy shirkers' And 'letting immigrants have all the jobs' and 'giving mansions to polish people so they can send the mansion to Poland brick by brick it's outrageous'. None of this goes away if Corbyn goes.

In the current political climate the only way a new Labour leader could increase their polling is by apeing the Conservatives. This seems to be where most of the disagreement lies. I assume that pissflaps et al do have ideas for what Labour should do once propelled to power on the back of a Tory-lite manifesto? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and also assume you want them to do a u-turn on the odious policies they had to adopt in order to get into power. The alternative, you see, would mean you're basically a closet Tory and should gently caress right off.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

The idea that politics is driven by a utter fight between two rival chaos magicians make a lot of sense, tbh.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Literally yes!

Where is the opposition coming from? Corbyn stumbling through pathetic non-questions while the government was waiting to get tanned on this NI thing was just emblematic of how poo poo he has been since his re-election and arguably before.

You know who's been a more functional opposition on this? The fuckin SNP. They're tiny! But they're trying!

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

No. this is what happens when people like what the government is doing. They have no need or desire for an opposition. If they were pissed off they could put a vote in for the mysterious 'other' or none of the above.

No one planned for this scenario. The scenario of 'what happens if a population votes against its interests and shows no sign of stopping?' we now know. The survivors form circular firing squads and engage in increasingly banal arguements while the country collapses.

This idea that Labour could be doing well is so naive. They could have the best leader in the world and it wouldn't matter. There is no demand for traditional Labour ideals. Leftist or centrist. The poor were told by the Tories and ukip that all their ills were because of immigrants and other poor people. And it worked. The damage is done. A generation of working class are now hardcore Tory base. These people aren't staying away from Labour because of Corbyn, they're staying away because anything left of centre-right is wish washy loonyleft that broke are britane. Corbyn isn't helping matters I agree, but he wasn't the one that poisoned the well. That was done over time by an adept Tory disinformation campaign. Now Labour are associated with 'lazy shirkers' And 'letting immigrants have all the jobs' and 'giving mansions to polish people so they can send the mansion to Poland brick by brick it's outrageous'. None of this goes away if Corbyn goes.

In the current political climate the only way a new Labour leader could increase their polling is by apeing the Conservatives. This seems to be where most of the disagreement lies. I assume that pissflaps et al do have ideas for what Labour should do once propelled to power on the back of a Tory-lite manifesto? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and also assume you want them to do a u-turn on the odious policies they had to adopt in order to get into power. The alternative, you see, would mean you're basically a closet Tory and should gently caress right off.

It's hard to work out what Labour's policies are right now.

But they seem generally to be rather good. Also, they haven't changed much since Ed Miliband was leader.

I do think the party might do a little better if it had a leader capable of articulating what it stands for and doing the odd interview without loving up. Also, if it had a leader who appointed PR people and strategists who had a clue what they are doing.

It would certainly be an interesting experiment to see if Labour's polling picked up in those circumstances. Labour made gains in England in the last election under Ed Miliband who had his faults, though it lost far more seats in Scotland. I'm not sure the public has suddenly embraced fascism in the past 24 months and it should be possible at least to carry on making small gains in England (I'd love to be optimistic about Scotland too but I don't really know what's happening there). That's far short from what we really want of course, but it does look possible that Labour will actually make losses at the next election, which shouldn't happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

A u-turn on Odious policies such as tax credits, minimum wage and a massive programme of public sector investment? That's not something I want - if that makes me a 'closet tory' then fair enough.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Literally yes!

Where is the opposition coming from? Corbyn stumbling through pathetic non-questions while the government was waiting to get tanned on this NI thing was just emblematic of how poo poo he has been since his re-election and arguably before.

You know who's been a more functional opposition on this? The fuckin SNP. They're tiny! But they're trying!

As If the public care about who gives the sickest burns in PMQs - again, the tories have been caught out being straight up shits with corruption and idiotic budgeting, and yet they go up in polls. They either don't care to know, it's expected, or just straight up like the whole narrative that has been set for the last 6+ years.
Regarde Aduck is correct, you could have the most eloquent, passionate and charismatic front bench opposition and it wouldn't matter.

At this moment, it's probably best that someone like Corbyn is still at the head, as you never know, people might actually think "christ, why am I being told that Corbyn has odd socks instead of thee latest tory fuckup" and cause them to actually think instead of react based on their gut feelings.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Electoral corruption and U-turns on broken manifesto promises aren't denting the Tory lead in the polls because, despite that, people still would rather vote for them than the alternative being offered by Labour.

That's how bad labour has become under Corbyn.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Don't Lol me posted:

Regarde Aduck is correct, you could have the most eloquent, passionate and charismatic front bench opposition and it wouldn't matter.
Ridiculous my-party-right-or-wrongism.

The SNP swept to victory in Scotland because they had a coherent and persuasive opposition to every other party. Labour can't even win fuckin byelections at this point but apparently it's the voters' fault for being mindless right wing drones. Disgraceful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems that rape tax went through after all via statutory instrument: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/mar/16/tax-credit-clause-becomes-law-without-parliament-vote

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's because people in general are colossal idiots, hth

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

So let's see - I'm a voter, I'd vote for Labour but I don't like Jam man, so I'll go straight from middle left to hard right?
Why wouldn't I just vote for the next best option, the Lib dems? That'd make sense right? They're New Labour virtually, right?

Well, since I don't see the libdem fightback in full effect in the polls, I'm guessing that's a load of bollocks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Don't Lol me posted:

So let's see - I'm a voter, I'd vote for Labour but I don't like Jam man, so I'll go straight from middle left to hard right?
Why wouldn't I just vote for the next best option, the Lib dems? That'd make sense right? They're New Labour virtually, right?

Well, since I don't see the libdem fightback in full effect in the polls, I'm guessing that's a load of bollocks.
Because the Lib Dems aren't the next best option, they're quisling guttersnipes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't Lol me posted:

My choice is between labour or nobody. My local mp is a good lad and anti Corbyn so I'll probably vote for him.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Resurrect Cromwell IMO but this time make sure he's atheist

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Ridiculous my-party-right-or-wrongism.

The SNP swept to victory in Scotland because they had a coherent and persuasive opposition to every other party. Labour can't even win fuckin byelections at this point but apparently it's the voters' fault for being mindless right wing drones. Disgraceful.

Hmmm, yes that's definitely the entire cause of why Scottish Labour did so badly, it all happened in a vacuum and the media and referendum played no part in that whatsoever.

Can't wait to get a new Labour leader in with some sick bantz to swing that vote back, it's sure to happen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Paxman posted:

It would certainly be an interesting experiment to see if Labour's polling picked up in those circumstances. Labour made gains in England in the last election under Ed Miliband who had his faults, though it lost far more seats in Scotland. I'm not sure the public has suddenly embraced fascism in the past 24 months and it should be possible at least to carry on making small gains in England (I'd love to be optimistic about Scotland too but I don't really know what's happening there). That's far short from what we really want of course, but it does look possible that Labour will actually make losses at the next election, which shouldn't happen.

This is ignoring the whole Brexit thing, it's fundamentally changed the political situation and will have an ongoing effect (through the negotiations and them vs us mentality to the aftermath). Really the Tories shouldn't be as insanely popular as they are right now - even assuming the opposition is failing to score points, these are high numbers without anything to justify them. But because the Tories are 'delivering' Brexit, they benefit in terms of approval ratings and a general sense that the country is in safe and sensible hands, that they can get things done. An incumbent party with an assumption of competence is going to do well, even before you factor in the BRITANES CHAMPIGNONS support

Until reality starts to rear its head and all the dreams and promises start to fall like the rains of disappointment, Theresa May is basically the loving Wizard of Oz. The question is whether that support will be eroded as the Brexit terms become more concrete, or if she'll become a kind of wartime PM and benefit from nationalism and the sense that it's all their fault and the Tories are fighting to protect us

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

My choice is between labour or nobody. My local mp is a good lad and anti Corbyn so I'll probably vote for him.

What if he were a good lad and supported Corbyn; what would you do then?

Surely in by-elections, you vote for the MP that will best represent and serve your local area in Parliament. So, for example, you would still vote for this hypothetical Corbyn supporting "good lad".

[edit] speeling not so gud

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 16, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Don't Lol me posted:

Hmmm, yes that's definitely the entire cause of why Scottish Labour did so badly, it all happened in a vacuum and the media and referendum played no part in that whatsoever.

Can't wait to get a new Labour leader in with some sick bantz to swing that vote back, it's sure to happen.
Scottish labour did so badly because their implicit and explicit values and ideas contrasted with what the much more dynamic SNP who turned into the mainstream centre-left party of Scotland, through hard graft and managing the media.

A good Labour leader needs to be media savvy, hard working, and they need to surround themselves with similar people. You can't take the shadow cabinet meeting off because you were on the Marr show at the weekend. You can't not have a snappy, media savvy response to this disastrous national insurance gently caress up and expect to succeed. It's a genuine crisis.

As someone who was disappointed in the PLP calling for a leadership election after the Brexit vote instead of seizing on the government's weakness, it has clearly taken so much energy out of Corbyn and his backers that he is no longer tenable as a leader, unfortunate though that is.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Tom Blenkinsop is a poo poo right? He's quoted in the Telegraph as going all in on Corbyn over a perceived failure of Labour to attack the Tories on the NI u-turn. Obviously he hasn't thought very hard about why Labour might not want to go whole hog on attacking Phillip Hammond on the subject of progressive tax increases...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Resurrect Cromwell IMO but this time make sure he's atheist

Wouldn't you just end up with Richard Dawkins with a knack for seventeenth-century military tactics?

And since everyone's asking 'why aren't Labour speaking out about this?', here's McDonnell's column in the Mirror about the Budget and all the surrounding Tory bullshit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

What if he were a good lad and supported Corbyn; what would you do then?

Surely in by-elections, you vote for the MP that will best represent and serve your local area in Parliament. So, for example, you would still vote for this hypothetical Corbyn supporting "good lad".

[edit] speeling not so gud

Then my decision would be a lot easier.

It's up to me on what basis I vote.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MikeCrotch posted:

Obviously he hasn't thought very hard about why Labour might not want to go whole hog on attacking Phillip Hammond on the subject of progressive tax increases...
You don't have to attack the policy to attack the government; it would be pretty easy to go after the government for being too weak to stand up to even the nuttiest of their own backbenchers (and use that as an excuse to open up the Things The Monday Clubbers Actually Believe And Want folder...).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jBrereton posted:

Scottish labour did so badly because their implicit and explicit values and ideas contrasted with what the much more dynamic SNP who turned into the mainstream centre-left party of Scotland, through hard graft and managing the media.

A good Labour leader needs to be media savvy, hard working, and they need to surround themselves with similar people. You can't take the shadow cabinet meeting off because you were on the Marr show at the weekend. You can't not have a snappy, media savvy response to this disastrous national insurance gently caress up and expect to succeed. It's a genuine crisis.

As someone who was disappointed in the PLP calling for a leadership election after the Brexit vote instead of seizing on the government's weakness, it has clearly taken so much energy out of Corbyn and his backers that he is no longer tenable as a leader, unfortunate though that is.

Corbyn could be whip-smart media savvy Jesus and would get exactly the same coverage as now because the people that run the media will never allow a proper left wing view see the light of day. If the answer to getting more press is "Don't be left-wing then" you can go jump.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

Tom Blenkinsop is a poo poo right? He's quoted in the Telegraph as going all in on Corbyn over a perceived failure of Labour to attack the Tories on the NI u-turn. Obviously he hasn't thought very hard about why Labour might not want to go whole hog on attacking Phillip Hammond on the subject of progressive tax increases...

...why wouldn't labour want to attack a government for breaking a manifesto promise, then doing a u-turn on imposing the tax change that broke it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

Corbyn could be whip-smart media savvy Jesus and would get exactly the same coverage as now because the people that run the media will never allow a proper left wing view see the light of day. If the answer to getting more press is "Don't be left-wing then" you can go jump.

Corbyn gets loads of coverage. You're deluding yourself.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Then my decision would be a lot easier.

It's up to me on what basis I vote.

Of course, just a hypothetical what-if kinda thing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LemonDrizzle posted:

You don't have to attack the policy to attack the government; it would be pretty easy to go after the government for being too weak to stand up to even the nuttiest of their own backbenchers (and use that as an excuse to open up the Things The Monday Clubbers Actually Believe And Want folder...).

He did bring it up at PMQs and elsewhere , just not to the degree Blenkinsop would have liked. And does anyone give a poo poo about the Monday Club anymore? Seems like people have much more things to be concerned about coming from the right wing (e.g. the current PM) than a bunch of old dudes in a club with less than 600 members.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/842320280324321280

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/842075154511474689

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/842025684591628288

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/841991934260445185

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/842018162623295488

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/841591360885010432

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/841223066277556225

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/840206630599962625

https://twitter.com/gwynnemp/status/839905890996215808

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/839875954637877248

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/839522550493368321

Yes, I know these are all tweets, but most of them link to articles, speeches, or adverts by Labour. They are talking about this in Parliament and in the media. There is no deliberate silence, only a persistent myth of one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Wouldn't you just end up with Richard Dawkins with a knack for seventeenth-century military tactics?
So he'd still ban Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn gets loads of coverage. You're deluding yourself.

"Inequality? Pah! The law forbids both the rich man and the poor man equally from sleeping under a bridge."

• Locked thread