Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

What about that guy's uncle who works at Nintendo?

No new systems. They will all have to be purchased through eBay, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

enojy posted:

Speaking of Voez, is there any lag? Like when you tap a note, does everything feel in sync, audibly and visually? I deleted the iOS version almost immediately because of the lag (on a 7+, so I doubt it was my hardware.) I've been playing precise rhythm games for an embarrassingly long time, so I'm really sensitive (burgin' even) to discrepancies in timing.

did you even turn off the built-in lag compensation?

There is a calibration option that is set to +200ms/300ms or something in Voez phone version.
I turned it off (set to 0) on my 6P because I was getting that issue.

Anyways according to reports I've heard the option is not necessary for the Switch though I'm still unsure if I'm picking it up. I need to figure out how many songs their are and if it will get the song updates the phone version will (which interestingly enough has an unlock all songs button for the low low price of $115!)

Also the game gets hard in an interesting way once they start moving the lanes as notes come down.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 16, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Seeing upcoming prices I remember that sometimes I hate Nintendo's pricing structure on certain games.

Also I showed my wife Stardew Valley and her response was you better be done with Zelda. I think we're about to have a fight on our hands.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rad Valtar posted:

Seeing upcoming prices I remember that sometimes I hate Nintendo's pricing structure on certain games.

Also I showed my wife Stardew Valley and her response was you better be done with Zelda. I think we're about to have a fight on our hands.

$300 plus tax is probably one of the cheaper ways to save your marriage that I've heard of, friend.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Black Mage Knight posted:

By the way, does anyone else just prefer to use the joycons detached from anything over the controller shaped cradle thing? Not only do I find the controller thing to be kinda uncomfortable, the joycons being detached from anything is actually pretty nice and also allows me to reach new levels of lazy arm positions.

I removed the docking bracket from the controller cradle thing for the sole purpose of keeping the joycons together in a bag that's too small to comfortably keep the switch+cons in one superwide format.

Which is to say yes, the separate joycons are fantastic and I can barely use my xbox controller anymore because it feels so weird in comparison now

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cerepol posted:

did you even turn off the built-in lag compensation?

There is a calibration option that is set to +200ms/300ms or something in Voez phone version.
I turned it off (set to 0) on my 6P because I was getting that issue.

Anyways according to reports I've heard the option is not necessary for the Switch though I'm still unsure if I'm picking it up. I need to figure out how many songs their are and if it will get the song updates the phone version will (which interestingly enough has an unlock all songs button for the low low price of $115!)

Also the game gets hard in an interesting way once they start moving the lanes as notes come down.

Nope! I'll give the iOS version another shot, thanks for the tip.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I picked up Blaster Master last night, having never played the original. It's badass and while it's great with the joycons, the pro controller is da best.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

enojy posted:

Speaking of Voez, is there any lag? Like when you tap a note, does everything feel in sync, audibly and visually? I deleted the iOS version almost immediately because of the lag (on a 7+, so I doubt it was my hardware.) I've been playing precise rhythm games for an embarrassingly long time, so I'm really sensitive (burgin' even) to discrepancies in timing.

Although I've never dipped my toe into Pop'n, I've been playing rhythm games since the DDR 3rd/USA days and have more hours in Rock Band than I'd like to think about... That said, precision is really important to me in these types of games and Voez appears to be pretty precise. The only one negative I'd bring up is that there isn't a particularly good system for letting you know how accurate you are with your taps... You'll getting to the end and maybe you have a full combo but only then do you have any idea of how many perfects, greats, and goods you've racked up.

Cerepol posted:

I'm still unsure if I'm picking it up. I need to figure out how many songs their are and if it will get the song updates the phone version will (which interestingly enough has an unlock all songs button for the low low price of $115!)

For $25 you get 116 tracks... It's a pretty great value on Switch.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 16, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

enojy posted:

I'm strongly under the impression that they developed and playtested this game exclusively on full RGB monitors, because there's clearly more contrast on the Switch's own screen. It does tend to look washed out most of the time on my TV, although it's less offensive at sunset and night time. Turning full RGB on makes it look better even though my TV doesn't suppprt it AFAIK.

Full RGB on a tv that does not support it does make the colors much less hazy, at the expense of making anything dark extra shadowy. Pick your poison I guess.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 16, 2017

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

zenintrude posted:

Although I've never dipped my toe into Pop'n, I've been playing rhythm games since the DDR 3rd/USA days and have more hours in Rock Band than I'd like to think about... That said, precision is really important to me in these types of games and Voez appears to be pretty precise. The only one negative I'd bring up is that there isn't a particularly good system for letting you know how accurate you are with your taps... You'll getting to the end and maybe you have a full combo but only then do you have any idea of how many perfects, greats, and goods you've racked up.

The visual feedback on taps is different depending on how precise you were. I think it goes Rainbow -> Orange -> Blue -> Grey, in descending order.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Got my screen protector and cheap rear end 3-port hdmi switcher deliveriea in the same day. Applied the screen protector via the bathroom method, plugged my poo poo in and plopped the switch in it's dock. I thought I'd only play zelda in handheld mode, but I could get used to this! TV mode is pretty sweet too!

Though it did noticeably lag at a point or two when it was on the TV, and I've had no issues in handheld mode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think anyone is going to convince the guy with the Splatoon av that Gyro isn't the best but whatever.

Well, you have the most perfect game of all time in your AV, but you still have some pretty poo poo opinions, so you'd know I guess. :v:

I realize it's subjective, but I think gyro aiming is the best (for me) because (for me) it's the most fun not efficient or accurate or whatever. Playing a shooter with a mouse just feels wrong and bad to me like playing street fighter with a keyboard or something. You might get better "results" but I play games for the experience more than for my accuracy % or whatever, and I just like controllers better than mouse/keyboard for anything but RTS and point-n-click SCUMM type games.

LethalGeek posted:

Console shooter people hate being reminded their games have to fix their aim.
The question is (or should be) whether it's fun.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You can drop bombs from the paraglider! :aaa:

:popeye:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gyro in Splatoon is actually really good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aussie eshop updated.
KOF 94 + Splatoon 2 GT

No Isaac :argh:

No World of Goo, etc either. They have a 24th March release date though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there a list of what monster parts do in elixirs in BotW? I'm trying to experiment but I seem to just be making low grade elixirs with various times more then anything

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there a list of what monster parts do in elixirs in BotW? I'm trying to experiment but I seem to just be making low grade elixirs with various times more then anything

I believe most do nothing but add slight variations on duration.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Infinitum posted:

Aussie eshop updated.
KOF 94 + Splatoon 2 GT

No Isaac :argh:

No World of Goo, etc either. They have a 24th March release date though.

Check tomorrow, as Isaac is a Friday release since it a retail release. Then you can complain :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It is Friday in Australia

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There are a couple apps that have cooking/recipe lists, apparently the official guide does as well, and there's probably a wiki. I'm avoiding them because I want the magic of discovery.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no guide really necessary for elixirs beyond:
1. The more, higher-quality monster parts you use in an elixir the longer the duration of the effect.

2. The more creatures you use in the potion the more powerful the effect, as far as it can stack (maximum stack for a buff is visible on the pause screen). 1-2 creatures = 1 stack, 3 creatures = 2 stacks, 4+ creatures = 3 stacks.

3. Monster part "quality" seems to be 100% "horns < (other parts) < guts", with no apparent duration difference between using bokoblin parts vs. lynel parts (it might affect the sell price of the end result though). So always use common guts if you have them, teeth if you're in a pinch, horns if you're really in a pinch. Don't use anything from rarer mobs unless you know you don't need those for gear upgrades.

4. You can toss in things like acorns to make the elixir heal you as well, but why you would want to sacrifice efficacy or duration for a couple hearts in an elixir is beyond me.

So with that, if you want a +1 movement speed potion that'll last awhile, use 1 Hot Foot Frog and 4 of whatever guts you have the most of. If you want a +3 movement speed potion use 4 frogs and 1 gut, but it probably* won't last nearly as long.

*Making things slightly more of a headache for testing is the fact that elixirs and food can randomly proc bonuses, so your +1 haste potion could randomly be a +2 or +3, or your +3 haste potion could randomly have double the duration, or either one could randomly have some bonus healing properties. Cooking during blood moon increases (guarantees?) the chances of bonus procs.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The official guide has descriptions next to each material and all recipes (or at least a gently caress ton of them). Also, https://www.chefofthewild.com has a materials section, but it is a work in progress and many materials are lacking descriptions still, nor does it have all recipes yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Is this real? Because

The Milkman posted:

Earthbound Trilogy.

Would make me buy the system for that alone. Never played 3 but Earthbound is in my top 3 video games ever.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Binding of Isaac is not on the PAL PR this week. It's not listed on Nintendo's site in this region, so who knows when we're getting it.

eShop thread has been updated with this week's releases in both regions.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isaac is a retail only release? No eShop? dafuq

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Am I stupid or do we always need to reenter our CC number for each transaction on the eShop? Can't we permanently save our CC info to our account? If so, can you please tell the blind that I am where it is?

I'm a Goon, I can't wipe and leave my toilet to get my wallet each time. My chain-wallet is clipped to my cargo pants but I don't wear any.

Thanks!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I would like to see Faster Than Light on Switch. That game owns and my iPad 2 barely functions anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Am I stupid or do we always need to reenter our CC number for each transaction on the eShop? Can't we permanently save our CC info to our account? If so, can you please tell the blind that I am where it is?

I'm a Goon, I can't wipe and leave my toilet to get my wallet each time. My chain-wallet is clipped to my cargo pants but I don't wear any.

Thanks!

There was an option when you first set up if you wanted to remember CC, iirc.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Video comparison of load times, comparing internal storage to carts and micro SD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbItTEmozxw

Internal storage is always faster than the rest but not to a life changing degree, fancy fast SD cards don't see much benefit over slower kinds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Thanks!

You don't have your credit card number memorized? Mine is...

Wait a second you can't fool me that easily. Shame on you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The eshop thread said the 17th.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harlock posted:

There was an option when you first set up if you wanted to remember CC, iirc.

it does nothing, apparently

according to the nintendo support article i found a day or two ago when i ran into this it was basically just “not supported gently caress you”

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

an actual dog posted:

Internal storage is always faster than the rest but not to a life changing degree, fancy fast SD cards don't see much benefit over slower kinds.

That's about what I expected. I got the 256GB card from MassDrop pre launch and it's been Fine, not that there's a ton to put on it yet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Infinitum posted:

It's retail and eShop in NA and is out on Friday there. No idea about PAL region, either release date or whether it's getting a retail release.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Thanks!

Buy eShop codes on Amazon. Less stuff to enter.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I don't expect it to be a reliable predictor, but does anyone remember the file size being big for Mario Kart 8? I went disc version on the Wii U, but I think it will be a game I will continue to play off an on for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle. After all, the series is the gold standard for drunk couch multiplayer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Earth Table posted:

I don't expect it to be a reliable predictor, but does anyone remember the file size being big for Mario Kart 8? I went disc version on the Wii U, but I think it will be a game I will continue to play off an on for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle. After all, the series is the gold standard for drunk couch multiplayer.

Quickly looked it up and apparently the base game was 4.9GB while the patches and DLC came in around the low end of 900 MB. I'm guessing the new content will bump that up quite a bit though.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Ah, so it could be a perfect fit for internal Switch memory. I guess we'll see what deluxe ends up doing. I have a 128GB microSD so I'm not too worried, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The mk8 physical case looks amazing, I want it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Physical boo

Digital MK8 so it's always available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/UfIAwOT.mp4