Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not caring here posted:

I'd email the professor with what he gave you, where you found it online and throw him the gently caress under the bus. He's obviously lazy or incompetent, which is kind of okay except that he's totally will to put the dick to you in the process.

I have no doubt if they accused you for plagiarism he'd throw you under the bus quick as blink.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah gently caress that guy, he didn't just cheat, he actively tried to gently caress you over

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yeah go to art school if you insist on receiving praise for derivative and irrelevant junk reminders that life is meaningless

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

Yeah go to art school if you insist on receiving praise for derivative and irrelevant junk reminders that life is meaningless

Law school seems to be the same way from what I've seen

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Booblord Zagats posted:

Law school seems to be the same way from what I've seen

I'm looking forward to having lengthy conversations with Federalist Society wannabes about the merits of recent American history because getting people blustery makes my dick hard.

Hope I don't get owned too often

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm looking forward to having lengthy conversations with Federalist Society wannabes about the merits of recent American history because getting people blustery makes my dick hard.

Hope I don't get owned too often

"Yeah well that's just like, your opinion, man."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

I'd email the professor with what he gave you, where you found it online and throw him the gently caress under the bus. He's obviously lazy or incompetent, which is kind of okay except that he's totally will to put the dick to you in the process.

I have no doubt if they accused you for plagiarism he'd throw you under the bus quick as blink.
This is what I'll likely end up doing. My dumb rear end goofed and forgot that the class is at a different time today, so I actually just missed that class (fortunately?), but I'll see if the prof. is around tomorrow morning anyway.

If you had asked me right at the start of the semester if I thought this guy was a lazy gently caress, I'd have taken one look at him and said, "yep, no doubt." The bizarre thing, though, is that he really pulls his weight in actually executing the labs and has caught my mistakes on several occasions. Weird. I'm not worried about being accused, myself, because I can just point to the email chain where he's attached that garbage and say, "look at how this is written, then compare it to anything else that I've submitted."

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would probably just make him redo it and if he can't get it done properly and in time, then I would tell the professor.

There's no benefit to ruining his academic life at this point other than vindictiveness.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

not caring here posted:

This. Don't even think about him, because it's absolutely against your schools policy and you are endangering yourself by hiding it for him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

I will end you

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012

TBeats posted:

There's no benefit to ruining his academic life at this point other than vindictiveness.

yeah what's your point?

Unrelated point: Getting voc rehab for my master's and the subsequent retroactive reimbursement for my undergrad GI Bill usage is the tits

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

print scream key posted:

yeah what's your point?

Unrelated point: Getting voc rehab for my master's and the subsequent retroactive reimbursement for my undergrad GI Bill usage is the tits

That there's nothing to gain from it. He's caught red handed. Calling him on it will probably embarrass him and might set him straight.

Telling the professor could get him kicked out of school depending on how egregious they see the cheating to be. Why not give him a chance to right the ship before possibly ruining the next ~40 years that a college degree could get him?

If he shows no remorse after you call him on it then by all means, tattle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

That there's nothing to gain from it. He's caught red handed. Calling him on it will probably embarrass him and might set him straight.

Telling the professor could get him kicked out of school depending on how egregious they see the cheating to be. Why not give him a chance to right the ship before possible ruining the next ~40 years that a college degree could get him?

If he shows no remorse after you call him on it then by all means, tattle.

Because a paper still has to be turned in. I doubt his lab partner is going to poo poo it out in time and he'll have to make up some excuse why its late because "it's late because I gave him a chance to fix his egregious plagiarism" will result in the same type of punishment.

Someone isn't necessarily getting kicked out for a first offense. It's not a fellow student's call to make, though. I would give someone the chance to fix something, too, but you can't do poo poo when the deadline is up and half of it is blatantly stolen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No gently caress that guy forever. Get off that sinking ship.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

I will end you

You know I'm getting an MFA, right?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TBeats posted:

I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

I'm sure 99% of people have uttered the words "hold my beer and watch this trick," but not while driving their family around in a minivan.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sure 99% of people have uttered the words "hold my beer and watch this trick," but not while driving their family around in a minivan.

I don't think driving drunk is an apt analogy for cheating in college

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

So then what should he say for why his paper is late? He's going to likely get docked points for a late submission.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You honestly can't see how some guy plagiarizing on a group paper is very bad?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This isn't the military dude. It's not hard to ask for an extension, even on the basis of "my partner hasn't held up his end of the bargain." If you get turned down for it then by all means, explain what you mean by your partner not holding up his end.

But why ruin the guy if there's an alternative that could possibly scare the poo poo out of him?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You honestly can't see how some guy plagiarizing on a group paper is very bad?

Yeah. You don't see how possibly ruining a guy academically for behavior that can be corrected is very bad?

E: Whatever. This is the FYGM world we live in. Keep the trend going instead of trying to fix it I guess.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'm already going to take a hit on this report because I had to start the whole thing over. Whatever happens to him is not my concern; what happens to me is. I have not, do not, nor will cheat on anything I put my name on, whether for school or work, because I value my self-worth and reputation too much to just piss it away for saving a few minutes or whatever. I do not want my name to be on anything like that or to be associated with anyone who plays that way.

It's not FYGM, it's "I don't want to get hosed."

You're right, though: this isn't the military. There, you stick your neck out for your buddy because he's covering your rear end, too. That's not the case here.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

I'm already going to take a hit on this report because I had to start the whole thing over. Whatever happens to him is not my concern; what happens to me is. I have not, do not, nor will cheat on anything I put my name on, whether for school or work, because I value my self-worth and reputation too much to just piss it away for saving a few minutes or whatever. I do not want my name to be on anything like that or to be associated with anyone who plays that way.

It's not FYGM, it's "I don't want to get hosed."

That's why you go to the professor and ask for an extension due to your partner not holding up their end, and you show them the work you have done to substantiate what you are saying. If the professor says no, you tell them the reason you were asking is because your partner plagiarized what they gave you, and you wanted to give them a chance to do it properly. If the professor says yes, you get him to do it properly. If he continues not to, you tell the professor the reason you asked for an extension is to give your partner a chance to do things correctly.

Everybody wins in this situation, and you might possibly keep a guy from getting hosed academically instead of finding an alternative that might scare the poo poo out of him and give him the message to get his poo poo straight going forward.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I know what you mean, man, but I can't possibly imagine a scenario where the first word out of a prof's mouth isn't, "why?"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

(A) Nowhere near 99% of people cheat in college, Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to just do the drat writing yourself. And (2) even if you take the "everybody's doing it" ethical stance, the guy did put his unwitting lab partner in danger of punishment for plagiarism.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
And it is your concern what happens to him, because going forward you're forever going to be the guy who ratted on someone.

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military. It just balances out because they aren't that way all the time like they are in the military.

It's not hard to, at the very least, attempt to throw the guy a bone.

at the date posted:

(A) Nowhere near 99% of people cheat in college, Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to just do the drat writing yourself. And (2) even if you take the "everybody's doing it" ethical stance, the guy did put his unwitting lab partner in danger of punishment for plagiarism.

They also taught about hyperbole in college.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 16, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

And it is your concern what happens to him, because going forward you're forever going to be the guy who ratted on someone.

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military.

lol

There is practically nothing another college student can do to "backstab" you. College is nothing like the military except that it is also full of 18-21 year old shitheads whose parents didn't beat them enough.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

You know I'm getting an MFA, right?

lol seriously

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

lol

There is practically nothing another college student can do to "backstab" you. College is nothing like the military except that it is also full of 18-21 year old shitheads whose parents didn't beat them enough.

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy. It'll be worth it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy. It'll be worth it.

It won't ruin him. A plagiarized lab report might get him booted from the class at worst, but a first offense won't get him expelled. Probably nothing will happen administratively b/c the professor won't want to do all that paperwork. On the other hand, it might get him to loving do his own work from now on and avoid worse in the future.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

It won't ruin him. It might get him booted from the class at worst, but a first offense won't get him expelled. Probably nothing will happen administratively b/c the professor won't want to do all that paperwork.

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy's grade in the class. It'll be worth it because there are no other alternatives other than to do all the work yourself anyway after you tell on the guy.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy's grade in the class. It'll be worth it because there are no other alternatives other than to do all the work yourself anyway after you tell on the guy.

Basically, yes?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

This reminds me of shooting cars full of civilians that are too stupid to know better than to speed into a checkpoint while ignoring EOF. I don't know man. If there's anything that can be done short of ruining the guy it'd be a lot of karma on your behalf. On the other hand it's not your job to spoon feed the guy reminders that the plagiarism rules are actually very serious.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

This reminds me of shooting cars full of civilians that are too stupid to know better than to speed into a checkpoint while ignoring EOF.

lol

I'm trying to figure out which way this analogy swings. Was shooting cars full of civilians that trivial, or is ratting out a scumbag plagiarist that serious

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military. It just balances out because they aren't that way all the time like they are in the military.

They also taught about hyperbole in college.

A first offense for plagiarism in a low level science lab class isn't going to end someone's academic career. This only fucks him permanently if he's a repeat offender. This is his wakeup call. A fellow student isn't the person that should be providing that.

If this was something due in a month and he just sent a preliminary draft over that had a few things stolen, I'd be right there with you. This was a lab report due in hours and 100% was not only copy and pasted, but wrong for what they were doing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

lol

I'm trying to figure out which way this analogy swings. Was shooting cars full of civilians that trivial, or is ratting out a scumbag plagiarist that serious

it is unnecessary in the grand scheme, is the analogy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Accusing a lab partner of academic dishonesty... it's like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TBeats posted:

You're right.

You know, I get this up to a point. If you wanna try and copy off my test when you're sitting near me in an exam, whatever, you wanna run that risk good luck. You wanna set up some kind of cheating ring where half the class is cheating off each other, go nuts, I really don't care. Try and use a smart phone, fancy calculator, cheat sheet, write on your leg or hand, whatever, it's your risk, you go right ahead. I'm not gonna narc you out. Best case, you get some easy marks. Worst case, you just hosed yourself. It isn't going to affect me, or anyone else who was wasn't cheating at all (except maybe a few points on a curve grade but whatever)

But when you give someone some lazy, easily google-able poo poo that doesn't even look like the work that is supposed to be turned in, you have just hosed someone else. You run the benefit of getting more marks than having handed in nothing, but you have just dumped all your lovely risk onto someone else, who has done the work. By plagiarizing, you have just actively hosed everyone else in your group. They didn't get a choice, they won't see any benefit, they just unknowingly took on all that risk for literally no reward, that you will then reap assuming you don't get everyone hosed in the process.

Ratting a dude out for having tried to gently caress you isn't loving him over. He just tried to gently caress you over without even a courtesy lick and is quite happy to watch you eat poo poo because he didn't want to do some work.

Basically, if you'll only sink yourself, go ahead. If you're gonna sink other people as well, then gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

not caring here posted:

You know, I get this up to a point. If you wanna try and copy off my test when you're sitting near me in an exam, whatever, you wanna run that risk good luck. You wanna set up some kind of cheating ring where half the class is cheating off each other, go nuts, I really don't care. Try and use a smart phone, fancy calculator, cheat sheet, write on your leg or hand, whatever, it's your risk, you go right ahead. I'm not gonna narc you out. Best case, you get some easy marks. Worst case, you just hosed yourself. It isn't going to affect me, or anyone else who was wasn't cheating at all (except maybe a few points on a curve grade but whatever)

But when you give someone some lazy, easily google-able poo poo that doesn't even look like the work that is supposed to be turned in, you have just hosed someone else. You run the benefit of getting more marks than having handed in nothing, but you have just dumped all your lovely risk onto someone else, who has done the work. By plagiarizing, you have just actively hosed everyone else in your group. They didn't get a choice, they won't see any benefit, they just unknowingly took on all that risk for literally no reward, that you will then reap assuming you don't get everyone hosed in the process.

Ratting a dude out for having tried to gently caress you isn't loving him over. He just tried to gently caress you over without even a courtesy lick and is quite happy to watch you eat poo poo because he didn't want to do some work.

Basically, if you'll only sink yourself, go ahead. If you're gonna sink other people as well, then gently caress you.

Let's say he got caught plagiarizing. He would be hosed as well. So if he is "trying" to gently caress him, then there is part of this story that we aren't hearing since he would effectively be loving himself as well.