Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

hoobajoo posted:

I noticed that! I think my favorite part of this series is how characters grow together without having too many big moments where they declare how they feel, it's mostly a natural thing we see subtly over time. So we don't get told they're in love, we feel it.

The thing I noticed is that the 2nd bedroom is Kanna's only. I thought both Tohru and Kanna were supposed to share the room but in the stocking scene, Tohru is no where to be found. Was this something I missed in episode 9 or is this an episode 10 thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I just figured she was still awake elsewhere in the apartment while waiting for Kobayashi to get back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Helter Skelter posted:

I just figured she was still awake elsewhere in the apartment while waiting for Kobayashi to get back.

Waiting in bed

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

A+ Episode

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey guys, does anyone have the gif of Kobayashi throwing treats at Kanna and her eating it? Also, I saw the edit where she's hitting Kanna instead. If anyone also has that, I saw them once but never saved them. :negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

They should stop bullying my friend Elma so much, tempting as it may be.

Elma got to hang out with her one true love at the end, a big bag of steamed buns

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/toneeartwork/status/840782707068100612

wew

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
So how much of this week's episode was anime-original and how much was from the manga?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pretty much 100% anime original.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

So how much of this week's episode was anime-original and how much was from the manga?

The manga honestly you can skip and not worry about. All the major points are or probably will be covered by the anime (and is typically done a bit better) and the stuff that is exclusive to the manga is blown away by the anime original stuff. The charm is still there but the show has it dialed to 11. I was quite disappointed that pretty much none of my favourite scenes were in the manga. I've always thought that the comic was always gonna be more fleshed out than the show but this is a major exception.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there has never been a kyoani adaptation that was less fleshed out than the source material

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It also looks orders of magnitude better.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for KyoAni to adapt Witch Vasenka's War and turn it into an even mix of Come and See and Life and Fate.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

The Colonel posted:

there has never been a kyoani adaptation that was less fleshed out than the source material

The amount of stuff I've ever actually watched from Japan I can put on my hands, so please forgive me but I don't know much at all. This is the first time I've really seen a kyoani show or at least liked it enough to learn who does it. I thought the standard film "rule" that the book is better than the movie applied here. I am quite happy to be wrong.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hypha posted:

The amount of stuff I've ever actually watched from Japan I can put on my hands, so please forgive me but I don't know much at all. This is the first time I've really seen a kyoani show or at least liked it enough to learn who does it. I thought the standard film "rule" that the book is better than the movie applied here. I am quite happy to be wrong.

With anime, it's pretty much 50/50 whether or not the source is better, where usually some things are usually done better in the source material, and some things better in the animation. Who is animating it is a pretty massive component, and KyoAni is pretty special in that their stuff is almost guaranteed to be better than the source material.

Also welcome.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Wallrod posted:

I can't remember if someone already posted this, but

https://my.mixtape.moe/bxbdhn.webm

:bisonyes:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The OP is so good

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
The OP is good, but the ED gets stuck in my head all the drat time. I think I like it even better.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Chuu chuu yeah,
Beez kneez

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/shirotorajun/status/839552574336348160

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seems good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Swordwields/status/842590061598146560?s=09

I'll allow it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

i ate your stereo.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Wow rude

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also unhealthy

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

AnoHito posted:

With anime, it's pretty much 50/50 whether or not the source is better, where usually some things are usually done better in the source material, and some things better in the animation. Who is animating it is a pretty massive component, and KyoAni is pretty special in that their stuff is almost guaranteed to be better than the source material.

Also welcome.

How much of a say does the original author have in their works when dealing with KyoAni? Have there been writers who rejected the KyoAni modifications or who have refused to work with the studio? Maybe it is just me but losing the definitive control of a work would bother me a lot, especially if the other version becomes considered better.

Has a manga or whatever gotten better after the KyoAni treatment? *crosses fingers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hypha posted:

Has a manga or whatever gotten better after the KyoAni treatment? *crosses fingers.

Can't answer the first question, but I can tell you that K-On (also by KyoAni and director Naoko Yamada) is about the most triumphant example of exactly what you're describing. The manga is generally regarded as cute but unremarkable, while the anime is often viewed (by both fans and critics) as The Definitive Cute Slice-Of-Life Anime. The second season and movie in particular are extremely well thought of and, as I understand it, have very little direct connection to the manga besides the characters and core premise.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can't answer the first question, but I can tell you that K-On (also by KyoAni and director Naoko Yamada) is about the most triumphant example of exactly what you're describing. The manga is generally regarded as cute but unremarkable, while the anime is often viewed (by both fans and critics) as The Definitive Cute Slice-Of-Life Anime. The second season and movie in particular are extremely well thought of and, as I understand it, have very little direct connection to the manga besides the characters and core premise.

They mean, "have mangaka altered their work to be more in line with the KyoAni approach", which I have no idea about, but seems somewhat unlikely.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I worded the question wrong then...I meant has the original author, after seeing what KyoAni or otherwise has done with their property, then taken the new themes established and blended them back into the original work? This is of course provided that the original work is still on-going at the time, like as with MaiDragon at this time. If this is a thing that happens in this industry, I would be picking the brains of the studio like crazy if they are consistently that much better at the craft than everyone.

^^^^^^^
Ya, that is the question.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Typically Kyoani buys the license and collaborates with the author on the adaptation. Kobayashi is kinda a special case where they aren't calling the shots though. But it can probably be assumed the original creators are okay with the changes.

In terms of changing the work post anime, I understand that might be the case with Hibike Euphonium and how that series influenced the spin-off novel series.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I want to say Hyouka also changed to be more LN-ish as opposed to before when it was more of a normal novel, but I don't really remember for sure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I suspect the commercial justification for the changes to Kobayashi is that they are releasing a spin-off series focusing on Kanna. So it makes sense with the greater focus on Kanna in the anime, and the alterations elsewhere.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Hypha posted:

How much of a say does the original author have in their works when dealing with KyoAni? Have there been writers who rejected the KyoAni modifications or who have refused to work with the studio? Maybe it is just me but losing the definitive control of a work would bother me a lot, especially if the other version becomes considered better.

Cool excitedly tweets about the anime with a few new sketches every day it airs and he seems to like it. How much say an author has can fluctuate but it tends to be a cooperative effort limited by how busy the creator is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most of the themes and stuff in the anime are things that existed in the original anyway. Even the anime original stuff are mostly like expansions of things from the comic. I think it just presents everything better, and focuses more on the stuff I liked most. Which I appreciate.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I can't believe Gaijin 4 koma is still a thing.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Zettace posted:

I can't believe Gaijin 4 koma is still a thing.

And elderly meme for an elderly crowd.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vhcyyy.webm

I have to believe this has happened to someone in real life.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She should've asked Tohru to turn her invisible.

• Locked thread