Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RanKizama posted:

I enjoyed this video. My mind is still full of gently caress though and I'm not talking 2B's rear end. Someone with knowledge please message me directly so I don't fill this thread with my newcomer bullshit questions.

Bullshit. FILL THE THREAD. More discussion is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think Drakengard 3 actively wanted you to hate it. It still was a rather decent game of the end of the life of the PS3, and Keiichi Okabe still delivered a kick rear end soundtrack with the cleverness of integrating it into the game mechanics that you would expect from him.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Thank you kindly.

Mordiceius posted:

Bullshit. FILL THE THREAD. More discussion is better.
I would normally agree, but I don't want to ask redundant questions in the thread just because I'm new to the franchise. It also helps me keep a focused conversation rather than digging through the thread each day since I am normally on here on my phone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RanKizama posted:

Thank you kindly.

I would normally agree, but I don't want to ask redundant questions in the thread just because I'm new to the franchise. It also helps me keep a focused conversation rather than digging through the thread each day since I am normally on here on my phone.

Ah. I just figure the questions you have will probably be shared by many other newcomers. I'd venture to guess that a decent percentage of people playing Automata are new to the franchise.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

it was a Platinum game with no pummel duels.

It would have been too on the nose for Automata, we got something VERY close to that, you know which part, and I almost cringed when it happened because it was blatantly a Platinum moment and felt really out of place in the game.

EEEEEEEEVVVVVVEEEE!!!!!!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So minor plot hole?

How can 9S not recognise Angelic when its the language he uses to hack with?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. I just figure the questions you have will probably be shared by many other newcomers. I'd venture to guess that a decent percentage of people playing Automata are new to the franchise.
There's probably some truth to that, but I've only finished Route A so far and just managed to run around with no pants on for an hour with 9S so I've still got a ways to go. I'm sure some of my questions will be answered just by playing the game while others pertain more to the older games.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Flooded city, look at the edge of the water for a flight unit before you get to the platforming over collapsed buildings. You're right about Route C. You can also interact with A2, which is kinda interesting too.

:tipshat:

:(

Though the recording did remind me of the most famous line of dialogue from Devil May Cry 1, so I had a good laugh.

Monomythian posted:

So minor plot hole?

How can 9S not recognise Angelic when its the language he uses to hack with?

Doesn't look like anything to him :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 16, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

There's probably some truth to that, but I've only finished Route A so far and just managed to run around with no pants on for an hour with 9S so I've still got a ways to go. I'm sure some of my questions will be answered just by playing the game while others pertain more to the older games.

I'm just about to finish Route B, but so far, nothing in this game has any ties to the original NieR other than the appearance of 3 characters. And those characters make no reference to the original game and are all incredibly minor cameos. I'm sure this could change later, but that's where things stand so far.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Reminder for late game spoiler Androids existed before Aliens came to earth. Popula and Devola were part of the Gestalt Project (Nier 1) and were only part of a series of androids not limited to that model line. YorHA is relatively new, so they are likely to have been made by machines. Or the De/Pa models were deconstructed and used to reproduce the current android lines by machines.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Doesn't look like anything to him :v:

Oh.....ohhh!

Speaking of being blind, a take on why everyone wears weird face gear.

Combat units all seem to wear a "blindfold" over their eyes. Symbolic to a perspective of not seeing the discrepancy in their blind faith to YorHa. Then there is the Operators that have a mask covering their mouths, symbolic of not speaking of the discrepancy and the control of information. The only person that doesn't wear anything like that is the commander that knows the whole story.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Any tips for the final Father Servo fight? I'm level 28, and if I just fight him normally I feel like it would take ~40 minutes to kill him, but I think I'm up to the point of no return (missile defense quest in the flooded city?), so I want to get it done before that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ankle posted:

Any tips for the final Father Servo fight? I'm level 28, and if I just fight him normally I feel like it would take ~40 minutes to kill him, but I think I'm up to the point of no return (missile defense quest in the flooded city?), so I want to get it done before that.

Do it as 9S on playthrough B. Slapping a robot for 40 minutes surely is no fun. You are at the point of no return for a lot of quests, yes.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ankle posted:

No. You probably already upgraded weapons, chips etc. Considering how that quest chain works you can resume later, it remembers your progress.

Or grind for levels and gear but I don't see the point considering it all.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Start with normal and go up to hard when it gets too easy for you.

Hard from the get go will be an exercise in frustration for a new player. Automata's hard mode wants you to get to grips with its chip system and go out of your way to equip good defensive chips for what you are fighting specifically. It's not a game like MGRR at all and the balancing isn't similar either.

Since we're going to have an influx of new players from the PC version this bears repeating and emphasizing:

:siren:Do not start your first Nier Automata play through on Hard or Very Hard. Start on Normal, even if you are a Dark Souls style, death-loving masochist.:siren:

The reason you start on Normal as opposed to harder difficulties is that you cannot save during the first 30-40 minute intro mission. They help you out if you're not very good by giving you lots of healing items and auto-heal at low health during this section, but on higher difficulties you can still die super fast and having to replay the same half hour section repeatedly is an exercise in frustration. Play through the intro, then as soon as you get access to save points, bump up the difficulty if you so choose.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mordiceius posted:

I'm just about to finish Route B, but so far, nothing in this game has any ties to the original NieR other than the appearance of 3 characters. And those characters make no reference to the original game and are all incredibly minor cameos. I'm sure this could change later, but that's where things stand so far.
But what about Emil, Popola, and Devola? Or are they who you're talking about?

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Do it as 9S on playthrough B. Slapping a robot for 40 minutes surely is no fun. You are at the point of no return for a lot of quests, yes.

Speaking of the second playthrough as 9S, how does that work, exactly? Will my items carry over? Will completed side quests remain completed, or will they have to be done again?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
A question about the first nier that ties to this one (so spoilers from both games):

Why did defeating the last boss in Nier: Gestalt made the Gestalt Project fail? I thought the project had failed all on its own. Also I can assume humanity went extinct because without the gestalts, the replicants were too failure prone and just perished in larger numbers once all their gestalts corrupted?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

But what about Emil, Popola, and Devola? Or are they who you're talking about?

Those are the three I'm talking about. So far, while they are there, they haven't really done anything to tie Automata to the original NieR. Unless things with them change after route B (which with all the changes that probably do happen, is completely possible), those 3 characters could have been brand new characters and nothing would change in the plot.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ankle posted:

Speaking of the second playthrough as 9S, how does that work, exactly? Will my items carry over? Will completed side quests remain completed, or will they have to be done again?

Spoiler for mechanics inventories are shared, whatever weapons and items you pick up as one character will belong to everyone else. Completed sidequests remain completed, although there are some that are exclusive to each character. Also, some sidequests maintain progress, but some don't. You can always go back and do stuff later after a certain point in the game, so you can't miss out on any content that way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nerdz posted:

A question about the first nier that ties to this one (so spoilers from both games):

Why did defeating the last boss in Nier: Gestalt made the Gestalt Project fail? I thought the project had failed all on its own. Also I can assume humanity went extinct because without the gestalts, the replicants were too failure prone and just perished in larger numbers once all their gestalts corrupted?

OG Nier was the only known source of the magic bullshit that keeps gestalts from turning into monsters. Project Gestalt was still mostly chugging along getting rid of the lingering bits of the Drakengard final boss that caused the whole mess despite being far from perfect.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beat the game :toot: I didn't choose to delete my save file tho because I wanted to plat it :v: anything cool happen if you choose that option? also the ability to straight up buy the trophies is hilarious

ankle posted:

I went into his level 30 and 40 fights under leveled, and it does take ages to kill something when it's twice your level. just wait until later; the progress for his quest never resets

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

OG Nier was the only known source of the magic bullshit that keeps gestalts from turning into monsters. Project Gestalt was still mostly chugging along getting rid of the lingering bits of the Drakengard final boss that caused the whole mess despite being far from perfect.

Oh, I see. It's funny how both Niers gently caress things up for everyone by refusing to let go of their Yonahs. The whole series is just a bunch of "Nothing Matters"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

You can also interact with A2, which is kinda interesting too.

How do? figured out what you meant

I also found the table that Adam and Eve hang out at.

in the big building you have to go up to get to the flight units during the Engel attack, there's a ladder on the bottom floor. However you have to do it in Route C I think, or the door at the top will be blocked.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 16, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hate those big flying dudes since they got their suicide bomb upgrades. It took me two deaths out of nowhere for me to realise what was doing it. They just get killed on sight with laser now. Oh, and the quest in the desert to find the hidden relics sucks. Spent a long time running around there yesterday while watching the power rangers marathon thingy, only found one.

Also Wandering Couple sure took a turn.

Also also does the laser do damage faster if you rapidly tap it? It seems to but that might just be what it looks like. Well, it's fun to do so I'll keep doing it anyway.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

McDragon posted:

Also also does the laser do damage faster if you rapidly tap it? It seems to but that might just be what it looks like. Well, it's fun to do so I'll keep doing it anyway.

If you've upgraded the laser the first second of firing or so does double damage

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

OneDeadman posted:

If you've upgraded the laser the first second of firing or so does double damage

at full upgrade when you stop firing it launches a barrage of bouncing blasts too

McDragon posted:

I hate those big flying dudes since they got their suicide bomb upgrades. It took me two deaths out of nowhere for me to realise what was doing it. They just get killed on sight with laser now. Oh, and the quest in the desert to find the hidden relics sucks. Spent a long time running around there yesterday while watching the power rangers marathon thingy, only found one.

Yeah I just looked up a guide for that quest.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I just saw in some fanart for 2b that there are fist weapons in this game? Can you get some fist weapons reasonably fast or is it locked behind a bunch of poo poo?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I just saw in some fanart for 2b that there are fist weapons in this game? Can you get some fist weapons reasonably fast or is it locked behind a bunch of poo poo?

You can start finding them in the back half or so of playthrough A if you explore thoroughly, so like maybe 1/3 through the whole game or so? That said they're disproportionately handed out later overall

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Pre-Load booooyyz!

Apparently I closed Steam before I left for work today because I can't remote install it :negative:

Now I won't be able to download it in time to play it immediately when it unlocks, wahhhhhhh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can get some shortly after fast travel unlocks by exploring in the area the main quest chain sends you to after that.

More specific details:

In the forest, in the central plaza like area you can jump up onto a cliff and by traversing around there, you can find a set in a tree/shrine guarded by level 30's or so, but you neednt kill them to get the weapon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think the earliest fist weapons you can find are in the forest area. Need to climb a hill and do some platforming to find them inside a tree trunk. Then run away because there are level 35 enemies who spawn after you grab them.

Fist weapons are cool

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can get a couple early with the power of money but I didn't start finding them till I was on Route B

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

Oh, good to know. That laser pod is definitely my favourite one

Also been grinding up the Machine Axe for Robot Brand or whatever. Gonna be a bit annoying having to do the same for the sword and spear. Fists too if they exist.

Oh, and it took me way too long to work out why my damage numbers had changed and why the chests had gone all JRPG on me. I was doing the quest for the game dev bot at the time and thought that was it at first. The Engine Blade is cool as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They exist!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think I'm towards the end of my first playthrough and I've only found about 4-5 weapons in the wild to begin with, most of them in story dungeons. The vast majority of them seem to show up in shops.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The maxed out Type-30 large sword completely wrecks things with the explosion on the last hit in the combo. It feels like it does as much damage as the entire combo by itself. I got two amazing chips, resilience +6 (no staggering while above 20% health) and anti-combo+6 (invulnerability for 4 seconds after a hit), and with them plus the usual healing chips I can just combo and explode things forever. It feels very satisfying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think I'm towards the end of my first playthrough and I've only found about 4-5 weapons in the wild to begin with, most of them in story dungeons. The vast majority of them seem to show up in shops.

They've spread them fairly well as a whole, I think. A bunch are quest rewards, some are found in the wild, some are gifts.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Now I won't be able to download it in time to play it immediately when it unlocks, wahhhhhhh

Which is when...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Which is when...?