Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The only fair way to name someone as gaming's Roger Ebert is to match him 1:1. So, which reviewer hates movies the most?
Oh if this is the criteria then it's definitely Gerstmann because he hates everything. Pretty sure I even saw him trash Super Metroid on a stream, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Looper posted:

but those are good examples of video game literacy in the context of those genres! i think, i don't actually know what either of them are, which is why i don't feel comfortable discussing those kinds of games

If it makes any difference I barely do. Those are terms I had to look up back when I was rolling deep in Street Fighter 4 and Strife so they were on the tip of my tongue.

Here's the thing about this though: you get a hardcore fighting game guy writing reviews, he'll only be writing reviews that are really useful to other hardcore fighting game guys.

I guess what I'm really saying here is that the only way to review and critique games (and indeed all art) is lots of :words:, not numbers. Took a long time to get there but I just don't think numbers and "objectivity" (read: trying to guess what other people will enjoy) is useful. Everyone's thoughts are legitimate, although certainly not equally useful to every individual.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

New Vegas was janky as hell, having inherited that Bethesda wonkiness that's saved by the flavour and writing, I love it a lot but the "G5" part of that score is suspicious and makes me think that nothing means anything anymore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
when i play final fantasy x i name tidus "tidus" but it's pronounced "tidus" rather than "tidus"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More like tedious haha

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nate RFB posted:

Oh if this is the criteria then it's definitely Gerstmann because he hates everything. Pretty sure I even saw him trash Super Metroid on a stream, once.

Poops is saying because Ebert loved movies but hated games, an Ebert-level game critic must love games but hate movies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting games don't really need reviews because there's only like 3 series left and everyone knows now to avoid Capcom so that leaves you with like 2 releases a year.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

More like tedious haha

:tviv:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

New Vegas was janky as hell, having inherited that Bethesda wonkiness that's saved by the flavour and writing, I love it a lot but the "G5" part of that score is suspicious and makes me think that nothing means anything anymore

It doesn't. I could absolutely see someone rating, for instance, the Witcher as a G2 - G5 game. That's actually what got me started down this yammering path. The dang objective number isn't objective, folks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theres no such thing as objectivity

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lobok posted:

Poops is saying because Ebert loved movies but hated games, an Ebert-level game critic must love games but hate movies.
Oh. Well the only movies I've seen him talk positively about are Terminator 1 and F&F: Tokyo Drift, so maybe??

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Fighting games don't really need reviews because there's only like 3 series left and everyone knows now to avoid Capcom so that leaves you with like 2 releases a year.

To be honest I don't trust a video game reviewer to know how to play a fighting video game

e: edited for accuracy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If it makes any difference I barely do. Those are terms I had to look up back when I was rolling deep in Street Fighter 4 and Strife so they were on the tip of my tongue.

Here's the thing about this though: you get a hardcore fighting game guy writing reviews, he'll only be writing reviews that are really useful to other hardcore fighting game guys.

I guess what I'm really saying here is that the only way to review and critique games (and indeed all art) is lots of :words:, not numbers. Took a long time to get there but I just don't think numbers and "objectivity" (read: trying to guess what other people will enjoy) is useful. Everyone's thoughts are legitimate, although certainly not equally useful to every individual.

well ideally the fighting game guy expert would also having the writing ability and self-awareness to make his reviews more easily digestible for the layperson. that's why i referenced ebert; even though he absolutely knew his poo poo regarding film all of his reviews are incredibly approachable for the non-cinephile. he was just a (n extremely knowledgeable) dude writing about movies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

sure it is, it's those things that appear after you climb an ubisoft tower in bad open world games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

- hideo kojima

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

sure it is, it's those things that appear after you climb an ubisoft tower in bad open world games

:100emoji:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

In don't really get why everyone is surprised by the new Mass Effect being bad.

The first one was mediocre at best, the second one was utter poo poo, i didn't bother with the third one because the series was obviously getting steadily worse.

What the gently caress do people except? Average-to-shite series gets even worse despite increased sales, surely the new one must be good?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
bad post above me guaranteed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lots of people liked the first two and even the third one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You're missing the point, Sakurazuka. People should expect the new Mass Effect game to be bad because internet poster spudsbuckley hates the series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

*scrolls up* o-oh, phew...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

would you say it's objectively true that objective truth doesn't exist?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Looper posted:

well ideally the fighting game guy expert would also having the writing ability and self-awareness to make his reviews more easily digestible for the layperson. that's why i referenced ebert; even though he absolutely knew his poo poo regarding film all of his reviews are incredibly approachable for the non-cinephile. he was just a (n extremely knowledgeable) dude writing about movies

I absolutely agree that Ebert was a great writer and phenomenal at getting his viewpoint across. Here's one of my favorite openings he ever wrote, you can totally tell where this guy is coming from:

quote:

No other movie opening thrills me more than a vast ship in interstellar space. The modern visual rules for these shots were set by Stanley Kubrick's "2001," which used a detailed model moving slowly instead of a cheesy model moving fast. Kubrick had the good sense to know that sound does not travel in space, but "Star Wars," with its deep bass rumbles, demonstrated that it certainly should. And then in the "Alien" and "Star Trek" pictures and in countless others, gigantic space cruisers aimed majestically at the stars, and I felt an inner delight that has its origins in those long-ago days when I devoured pulp space opera by Robert Heinlein and such forgotten masters as Murray Leinster and Eric Frank Russell.

My state of mind is best captured by a pulp mag that was defunct even before I started reading science fiction: "Thrilling Wonder Stories," without doubt the best title in the history of magazines. I hope for strange and amazing adventures. Sometimes I am gratified. More often I am disappointed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

ah good news they're rebooting Darkplace as Darkspace

https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/842239459928166400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA07hLF-3tE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

actually ebert loved cosmology of kyoto which, to be fair, is literally the best videogame ever made. so he chose well

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium posted:

- hideo kojima

for the rest of this quote please watch the dvd included with your preorder special edition

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
roger ebert gave a movie i like a low score once

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

for the rest of this quote please watch the dvd included with your preorder special edition

if it's nietzsche then the dvd just has the cutscenes for the first game so that they can release only the second quote in Europe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People cared more about Ebert's opinion of video games than Ebert cared about video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

if it's nietzsche then the dvd just has the cutscenes for the first game so that they can release only the second quote in Europe.

I wonder if my EU copy of Xenosaga 2 goes for much money....

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Anyone else playing the Lawbreakers closed beta? If you haven't logged on yet or didn't get a code, let me save you the trouble - it's mediocre. But now that it's 2017 every company will make Overwatch, but worse, so I anticipate a year of bland, soulless MOBAs.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm still reeling from cliffyb complaining about slow coverbased shooters when he's responsible for Gears

Also "overwatch is for your gf to play"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I met CliffyB in 2000 at E3 (if you were a goon you could go up to him and say hi and I did) and he was a really gracious, genuine guy. We chatted about games for 20 minutes and watched an Epic presentation together, and he gave me some inside scoops. Just a real cool cat to hang with. I'm sad that minor celebrity seems to have gotten to him.

Didn't Randy Pitchford say something similar ("this is for your girlfriend") about the Robomancer in Borderlands 2? Implying that your ladyfriend was bad at games by default and needed a helper.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I met CliffyB in 2000 at E3 (if you were a goon you could go up to him and say hi and I did) and he was a really gracious, genuine guy. We chatted about games for 20 minutes and watched an Epic presentation together, and he gave me some inside scoops. Just a real cool cat to hang with. I'm sad that minor celebrity seems to have gotten to him.

Didn't Randy Pitchford say something similar ("this is for your girlfriend") about the Robomancer in Borderlands 2? Implying that your ladyfriend was bad at games by default and needed a helper.

It was a random BL2 developer I believe and he was talking about a skill in one side of the Robomancer skill tree that increase damage/accuracy every time the player missed, calling it something like "girlfriend mode". Honestly the heart was in the right place on helping out people that might not be that hot at FPS but it came out kind of weird.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked the earlier LawBreakers alpha, look forward to playing this one when I get home from work, and I don't care who knows. :colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

BexGu posted:

It was a random BL2 developer I believe and he was talking about a skill in one side of the Robomancer skill tree that increase damage/accuracy every time the player missed, calling it something like "girlfriend mode". Honestly the heart was in the right place on helping out people that might not be that hot at FPS but it came out kind of weird.

If he had said "game journalist mode"... Imagine the amount of retweets!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

TWEWY is fun but going back to it I found I just didn't enjoy the combat that much. I think I just don't like touch screen movement controls.

It's definitely the most divisive part of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's definitely the most divisive part of the game.

Yeah and it isn't like it's bad or anything. It's well-designed touch screen movement controls. I just don't like 'em. Not a gamebreaker or anything but kinda puts a little damper on it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember a lot of reviewers being frustrated by having to divide their attention between the two screens during battle, which wasn't an issue for me but I totally get as well.

ImpAtom posted:

That makes no sense to me. I don't enjoy wrestling games at all but that doesn't mean all wrestling games are bad and I wouldn't ever say they are.

Yeah, and I enjoy a lot of games, tv shows and movies that are objectively not very good.

• Locked thread