Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So I'm watching Gundam SEED for the first time. It's the Remastered version on Hulu. I'm only a few episodes in but got a few things to say.

First of all what the hell is with these close ups on faces. In "long shots" people look relatively normal for an anime but when it's a close up everyone's faces look like the same giant eyes over detailed weird blob. Is this due to the remaster or was it always this way? It's loving gross.

Secondly what's up with the casual attitude towards mass destruction? In the second episode Kira accidentally blows a giant hole in the colony wall and it's never brought up. Of course six hours later a mass of terribly aimed missiles results in the colony falling loving apart, and it's barely mentioned afterwards. Is there ever any consequences for the characters stupidity / bad writing?

Finally are coordinators supposed to be newtypes? They make a big deal about how a coordinator is superior in every way to a normal dude but aside from combat programming everyone's an idiot.

Should I keep watching or does SEED continue being bad?

- Hisashi Hirai is a terrible character designer who became way to popular in the early 00s.

- SEED is only equalled or exceeded in the frequency and gruesomeness of its deaths by Victory and IBO, and often treats them in an alarmingly blasé manner. Or repeats them in flashbacks for the next dozen episodes. Either or.

- Coordinators are genetically-engineered superhumans. They're not psychic like Newtypes, but are slightly physically superior in most regards, and in particular have excellent reflexes. On the other hand, the genetic treatment tanks their fertility. Basically, they're space elves. This comes up less than you might expect, particularly since the protagonist is a Coordinator who spends most of his time fighting other Coordinators (so neither side really gets to show off what makes them superhuman), but it does come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
He did Scryed which was cool but I think he did the source material on that? Then he fell into a sameface hole really hard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm glad tomino wants to destroy capitalism

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

He did Scryed which was cool but I think he did the source material on that? Then he fell into a sameface hole really hard.

even Scryed is pretty bad sameface, it's just a bit less blatant since like re-HD SEED it's off model a ton. Even then if any character has vaugely similar hair then you see Lunamaria or Lacus or whoever running around.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Motto posted:

I didn't realize my love for him could grow even more.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

“During the Obama administration there was a plan to send people to Mars. It's complete nonsense. There's no point in doing that. There's nothing there.

“The idea that we need to escape the Earth due to environmental pollution is just science fiction. I suppose this might be a quite shocking remark to make but the solution should be to stop the human population from growing any further and find some way to reduce it by at least half over a period of time. We need to re-organise and plan our civilisation to use the available natural resources on the planet for the next ten thousand years or so. I'd almost say that capitalism in its current form shouldn't be really allowed. I believe the modern world is a miserable result of the entire world focusing only about the economy.”

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The worst Hirai sameface was Fafner. I've been playing SRW K and I literally can't tell the fafner characters apart. It doesn't help that Seed destiny is in the same game, but at least they looked drugged out while in SEED mode and are distinguishable...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
More people to make shows about how they hate space elevators.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Motto posted:

This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Tomino's always been a hippie, just a kinda bitter and cynical one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
A political cartoon thats just the RX-78 stepping on the word capitalism while Gihren and Garma cry in the foreground.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The GIG posted:

A political cartoon thats just the RX-78 stepping on the word capitalism while Gihren and Garma cry in the foreground.

Hell yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

SEED is not good

Except Stargazer.

Stargazer is good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

While I won't say SEED is good, it is an entertaining enough watch due to the weird mix of bad storytelling, good moments, a great OST and overall being a fun ride; the real problem with that timeline is mostly in DESTINY and the way it sours stuff from seed (Vestige is a cool song the first 2-3 times it shows up in DESTINY).

That said its worth it all for Dub Rau, Dub rau is a gift to humanity.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zedd posted:

While I won't say SEED is good, it is an entertaining enough watch due to the weird mix of bad storytelling, good moments, a great OST and overall being a fun ride; the real problem with that timeline is mostly in DESTINY and the way it sours stuff from seed (Vestige is a cool song the first 2-3 times it shows up in DESTINY).

That said its worth it all for Dub Rau, Dub rau is a gift to humanity.
I like to believe that once Rau's English VA hit the back end of the show, he went "gently caress it, bring in the hogs" and never looked back.

But in all seriousness, Mark Oliver's performance is worth the price of admission. The man just has fun voicing the character.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The GIG posted:

not quite the same thing but:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

AradoBalanga posted:

I like to believe that once Rau's English VA hit the back end of the show, he went "gently caress it, bring in the hogs" and never looked back.

But in all seriousness, Mark Oliver's performance is worth the price of admission. The man just has fun voicing the character.

Kira's voice actor deserves some credit for method acting through all the crying if nothing else. Honestly SEED itself wasn't THAT bad. It really is SEED Destiny that wastes all the promise its opening plot shows and falls into mediocrity to the point where it retroactively drags SEED down.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hirai did character design on the original Dancougar, would you believe

I actually wish I could watch non-remastered SEED (legally), it's less peak Hirai...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Who knew that the genocidal casualties in the opening weeks of the One Year War weren't intended to be portrayed as an atrocity but instead as the first steps towards sustainable living!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Who knew that the genocidal casualties in the opening weeks of the One Year War weren't intended to be portrayed as an atrocity but instead as the first steps towards sustainable living!

Certainly recontextualises the Ronahs' endgame in F91.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

That was actually one of Gihren's stated reasons for doing it actually.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

So Gihren did nothing wrong?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hi didn't do it while screaming "FULL SPACE COMMUNISM NOW"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god, Zeon was right all along!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schneider Heim posted:

Hirai did character design on the original Dancougar, would you believe

I actually wish I could watch non-remastered SEED (legally), it's less peak Hirai...

Less Hirai but still suffering from advent of digital painting in anime. It looks garish no matter which version you watch.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

even Scryed is pretty bad sameface, it's just a bit less blatant since like re-HD SEED it's off model a ton. Even then if any character has vaugely similar hair then you see Lunamaria or Lacus or whoever running around.

Scryed gave me Straight Cougar and therefore is great.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'm part of the way through a critical re-watch of Zeta (it's been 7 years since my go through). I'm having trouble grasping a few things that I completely missed. So The series kicks off with the Federation still existing, and ruling Earth and most of space. The Titans are sort of an anti-zeon (but not necessarily pro-federation) black ops group that thinks they should be in charge of the Federation. The AEUG is an independant group that is anti-zeon and pro-federation. Lastly there's Axis which is the last remnants of Zeon.

So here's where the plot is falling apart for me. Are the titans seriously so deluded that would ally with Axis to destroy the AEUG and then dismantle the Federation government? Assuming success, what was their plan for Axis after that? Just relinquish space to Zeon and call it a day? It seems like their governmental urges would have been better served by allying with the federation / AEUG against AXIS and the federation just leaving the Titans to sweep up every last remnant of Zeon.

Maybe I'm missing something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Titans have been pretty much corrupt since their founding on day 1, remember Stardust Memories?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
The Titans/Axis alliance was pretty much always an alliance of convenience and I don't think either side was under delusions that they weren't going to turn on each other the instant the AEUG was dealt with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slightpirate posted:

I'm part of the way through a critical re-watch of Zeta (it's been 7 years since my go through). I'm having trouble grasping a few things that I completely missed. So The series kicks off with the Federation still existing, and ruling Earth and most of space. The Titans are sort of an anti-zeon (but not necessarily pro-federation) black ops group that thinks they should be in charge of the Federation. The AEUG is an independant group that is anti-zeon and pro-federation. Lastly there's Axis which is the last remnants of Zeon.

So here's where the plot is falling apart for me. Are the titans seriously so deluded that would ally with Axis to destroy the AEUG and then dismantle the Federation government? Assuming success, what was their plan for Axis after that? Just relinquish space to Zeon and call it a day? It seems like their governmental urges would have been better served by allying with the federation / AEUG against AXIS and the federation just leaving the Titans to sweep up every last remnant of Zeon.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Remember that by that point the Titans who had been co-opted by multiple factions. Scirocco was using basically everyone and the other Titans were dumb enough to assume they could betray Axis and get away with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Remember that by that point the Titans who had been co-opted by multiple factions. Scirocco was using basically everyone and the other Titans were dumb enough to assume they could betray Axis and get away with it.

You know, it's funny, but one of the things that's coming to mind with the ending episodes of Iron Blooded Orphans is that Rustal would have made a much more peaceful Universal Century if he ran the Titans.

I mean, he's as thoroughgoing a bastard as anyone who ever wore a Federation uniform, but he wants stability, and he's not a coward, and between the two you've got most of the Federation's top brass looking like worse choices.

Look at thirty bunch. AEUG formed because the Titans killed ten million people to stop a more or less peaceful protest. Rustal, he's the Earth Sphere false flag champion (PD division), and knows the meaning of "appropriate force". Innocent people would die horribly, but they'd die looking less innocent, and the colony would be left productive. Or look at how Bright Noa got treated. One of the best commanding officers of the One Year War, and he's shoved into a corner and abused until he defects. Stupid, stupid move. Rustal, meanwhile, does his best to juggle even difficult assets because you need skilled people in the right places (and occasionally stupid people in the wrong ones) to properly keep that boot on the human face forever.

It's a depressing thought, really. The Universal Century got so lovely that you can grab one of the main villains from Post Disaster (War Crimes: The Animated Series) and trust him to make less of a hash of things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, it's funny, but one of the things that's coming to mind with the ending episodes of Iron Blooded Orphans is that Rustal would have made a much more peaceful Universal Century if he ran the Titans.

I mean, he's as thoroughgoing a bastard as anyone who ever wore a Federation uniform, but he wants stability, and he's not a coward, and between the two you've got most of the Federation's top brass looking like worse choices.

Look at thirty bunch. AEUG formed because the Titans killed ten million people to stop a more or less peaceful protest. Rustal, he's the Earth Sphere false flag champion (PD division), and knows the meaning of "appropriate force". Innocent people would die horribly, but they'd die looking less innocent, and the colony would be left productive. Or look at how Bright Noa got treated. One of the best commanding officers of the One Year War, and he's shoved into a corner and abused until he defects. Stupid, stupid move. Rustal, meanwhile, does his best to juggle even difficult assets because you need skilled people in the right places (and occasionally stupid people in the wrong ones) to properly keep that boot on the human face forever.

It's a depressing thought, really. The Universal Century got so lovely that you can grab one of the main villains from Post Disaster (War Crimes: The Animated Series) and trust him to make less of a hash of things.

Yeah, pretty much unironically Rustal would be a more effective (if not necessarily less horrifying) leader than most of the people in the UC.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With Iron Blooded Orphans drawing to a close is there a good Gundam series to watch next?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

With Iron Blooded Orphans drawing to a close is there a good Gundam series to watch next?

Depends. What have you seen and what did you like/dislike about IBO?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Have you already seen Turn-A, Build Fighters, 0080 and First Gundam/Zeta Gundam?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Depends. What have you seen and what did you like/dislike about IBO?

Besides IBO I watched a bit of Gundam Wing before losing interest in it. A big part of why I liked the show is due to Mikazuki. An visual level watching such a brutal fighting style is a lot of fun but the real treat has been watching a show where there isn't so much character development going on but coming to understand just what makes him tick and how broken he really is. More highlights have been the general feeling that almost every side in the conflict is messed up and how everyone is struggling to define and defend how they live as they push towards an uncertain future. For dislikes the one that pops to mind is that Kudelia who was a fun character to watch grow ended up getting sidelined for most of this season whilst everybody else is busy competing in who can be the most bloodthirsty assholes.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Have you already seen Turn-A, Build Fighters, 0080 and First Gundam/Zeta Gundam?

I haven't watched any of those shows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Besides IBO I watched a bit of Gundam Wing before losing interest in it. A big part of why I liked the show is due to Mikazuki. An visual level watching such a brutal fighting style is a lot of fun but the real treat has been watching a show where there isn't so much character development going on but coming to understand just what makes him tick and how broken he really is. More highlights have been the general feeling that almost every side in the conflict is messed up and how everyone is struggling to define and defend how they live as they push towards an uncertain future. For dislikes the one that pops to mind is that Kudelia who was a fun character to watch grow ended up getting sidelined for most of this season whilst everybody else is busy competing in who can be the most bloodthirsty assholes.

I haven't watched any of those shows.

Those are the widely-liked classics of the franchise. Given what you've said, Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky may also float your boat (ignore the OVAs - the December Sky movie is the exact same thing compiled together with extra footage).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, I finally finished the first MSG movie the other day. Iiiiiiii liked it, but I'm pretty sure the plot's just barely staring.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunt11 posted:

If you like subtle character development and characters getting to understand combat and how it changes them, that's basically Reconguista in G. Albeit from a completely different direction than IBO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you like subtle character development and characters getting to understand combat and how it changes them, that's basically Reconguista in G. Albeit from a completely different direction than IBO

I like G-Reco a lot but it's hard to say that if you like IBO you'll like it. It's, for lack of a better word, very very Tomino.