Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
usagi's also like in middle school so it's way weirder

also for some reason i thought mamoru was in college i have no idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

usagi's also like in middle school so it's way weirder

also for some reason i thought mamoru was in college i have no idea why
he is!!!

he's just also 17. usagi's 14. it isn't *that* weird especially later on when she's 16 and he's 19.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh duh, I blanked when you said he skipped grades so i remembered him being like 19, which is Oofa Doofa

i need to fully watch sailor moon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

oh duh, I blanked when you said he skipped grades so i remembered him being like 19, which is Oofa Doofa

i need to fully watch sailor moon
sailor moon crystal season 3 is pretty decent if you want a quick injection of sailor moon. don't watch the first two seasons tho.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

sailor moon crystal season 3 is pretty decent if you want a quick injection of sailor moon. don't watch the first two seasons tho.
i was honestly considering just watching the original tho that might be dumb. i remembering being so excited for crystal and then so bummed, glad season 3 is good tho

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Catherine's a different type of game and for a different audience I imagine.

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

I just can't imagine actual teenagers giving a poo poo about this franchise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

i was honestly considering just watching the original tho that might be dumb. i remembering being so excited for crystal and then so bummed, glad season 3 is good tho
you should really peep season 3 for the animation if nothing else, it looks really nice since they brought on new staff

as for 90s sailor moon it's fun even to this day but you gotta be willing to skip an ep if it seems like filler and you aren't digging it. otherwise you'll just get bored.

wizard on a water slide posted:

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

there are thousands of teenage girls who love this poo poo. it has cute boys and is about communicating with people. and it has good anime art. why wouldn't teenage girls love it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why wouldn't teenagers care about persona, I'm sure plenty of people here were when 3 or 4 came out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know people who played p4 when they were 12 years old and loved it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

i know people who played p4 when they were 12 years old and loved it

13 but yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why wouldn't teenagers care about a stylish franchise with a lot of cute boys/girls where people their age have cool magical powers and fight heavily symbolic battles. That is level 90% of all media aimed at that age group.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

there are thousands of teenage girls who love this poo poo. it has cute boys and is about communicating with people. and it has good anime art. why wouldn't teenage girls love it.

because it's a mechanically complicated, 100 hour jrpg

Motto posted:

why wouldn't teenagers care about persona, I'm sure plenty of people here were when 3 or 4 came out.

that was 10 years ago, stuff also changes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like obviously im wrong since like fifty people jumped on me saying that but i also don't know that teenagers only like games about teenagers in high school

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it really that mechanically complicated? You smash personas together and hit enemies' weaknesses.

and dude, teenagers love jrpgs. like, adore them. if i was to associate one genre with teenagers, especially teenage girls, it would be the jrpg.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

like obviously im wrong since like fifty people jumped on me saying that but i also don't know that teenagers only like games about teenagers in high school

thankfully atlus has other franchises and games about teenagers not in highschool, and even adults

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait no I was fourteen, lol, I forgot how old I am

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can. Quite easily? Like, teens have a lot of free time to play videogames and stuff, and jrpgs don't seem particularly more mature or aimed at an older audience than most games. And it's about high school kids and high school life, so it's a setting relevant to teens and everything. I don't see why they wouldn't pick it up.

Edit:

because it's a mechanically complicated, 100 hour jrpg

I dunno, for me at least the 100 hour jrpg was a genre more palatable to me as a teenager. Just had a lot more free time for it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 17, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I have no idea why teenagers WOULDN'T be into Persona. It's incredibly identiftable with it's broadstrokes yet specific characters and got that good occult poo poo. Like Eriko from Persona 1 was not that weird for how much she was into mind demons and fighting other demons.

Like I remember being a very very young teen when Persona 4 came out and seeing screenshots in whatever gaming magazine i had and thinking that a "realistic" kinda RPG looked rad as hell. Like I was super into EarthBound so seeing poo poo like A Normal Japanese Town and Yu reading books in his room was cool to me.

I feel like part of what they meant is that it's exactly expected to see Persona nerds all into an adult themed puzzle game just cause it's still Atlus. Like yeah they're the same universe or whatever but Catherine was billed as such a different thing.

Endorph posted:

you should really peep season 3 for the animation if nothing else, it looks really nice since they brought on new staff

as for 90s sailor moon it's fun even to this day but you gotta be willing to skip an ep if it seems like filler and you aren't digging it. otherwise you'll just get bored.
Word, i'll look into it, thank you!

and yeah I remember trying to watch original sailor moon years ago and like the first ten episodes are just usagi solo goofing up fights, which it's kinda cool that it's a slow burn but also not

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

thankfully atlus has other franchises and games about teenagers not in highschool, and even adults

I didn't like strange journey or smt4 :/

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be fair mamoru's 17, he skipped a grade or two
I've been owned for my lack of Sailor Moon knowledge. Can you let it slide? It's a funnier joke if we pretend I was right.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i think being 16 made playing FES a more memorable introduction to the series so i'm sure it definitely still has plenty of appeal to people that age

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

I didn't like strange journey

!!!!!

the wrongest opinion

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I liked Strange Journey, but I tapped out around Sector D cause man i just couldn't do that anymore. I really liked the story and wish I could see it out, but I'm good. It not being numbered really helps my dumb completionist brain, plus I still gotta get to 4 and 4A

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I was a teen when I played P3/4 but mostly since it was set in Japan that appealed to me vs yet another HS setting. Also I feel like when I was young(er) ANYTHING other than being teen was cool and interesting vs going to class/clubs :colbert:

The only thing I can think of is that games are much more expensive nowadays than back then but 100 hrs were nothing to a bored kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For a while I thought because I liked P3P and P4 I would like the other SMT games, and I wasn't able to get into any of them.

Like not the even the promise of Dante from the Devil May Cry series was able to keep me engaged through Nocturne.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raxivace posted:

For a while I thought because I liked P3P and P4 I would like the other SMT games, and I wasn't able to get into any of them.

Like not the even the promise of Dante from the Devil May Cry series was able to keep me engaged through Nocturne.

The old PS2 games had extremely high encounter rates and you know I hated the invisible maze from Nocturne. The LPs are better honestly if wanted to see how the story goes but they were very stylish games even now.

Raidou 2 is a good game with teen protagonist not in HS who runs a detective firm on the side but no VA.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

man you guys want grown up persona but where the hekl is my Raidou 3? i am waiting atlus

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

man you guys want grown up persona but where the hekl is my Raidou 3? i am waiting atlus

It's going be directed by Yoko Taro after they remaster Nier 1 and Drakengard series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i thought I was a weak gamer and would never beat Nocturne even tho I beat SMT I and II before it but I did it and proved I had a strong gamer soul

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Alder posted:

It's going be directed by Yoko Taro after they remaster Nier 1 and Drakengard series.

gently caress where can i throw my money please i want that so bad

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Moltrey posted:

I liked Strange Journey, but I tapped out around Sector D cause man i just couldn't do that anymore. I really liked the story and wish I could see it out, but I'm good. It not being numbered really helps my dumb completionist brain, plus I still gotta get to 4 and 4A

lol, it gets so much worse after that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you want a persona game where you are an old, play Trails of Cold Steel III

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

The ancient age of 20.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Terper posted:

I tried ToCS I just don't care enough about the characters to progress beyond intro. Also they feel very bland.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In addition to the whole "target audience of high schoolers and nostalgic adults", "they already did it with P2" etc, I think that a school with stuff like weekly clubs, midterm/final exams and summer vacation is a very good "base" and structure for the kind of calendar based social simulation that Persona 3 + is. Also a school setting has the advantage of being a universal experience everyone has had, even if the Japanese style school is a little different than the experiences overseas audiences had. It wouldn't work as well if the main character worked in an office or whatever.

That reminded me though, something I noticed from reading stuff like the OP is that it seems like none of the Social Links this time around involve school clubs.
I guess it's since this game's protagonist is a social outcast rumored to be a delinquent? So he wouldn't get involved with things like that?
That's probably good even though the clubs had a fixed and fairly easy to remember schedule, the club characters were usually pretty dull compared to the random oddballs like Tanaka and Mutatsu the Buddhist monk from P3.

Hashino's weird P5 "I originally wanted to make the game about backpacking" interviews make me wonder if they were originally considering doing away with the P3-4 social sim format. Though I have the feeling that stuff never got to the point of even thinking about game mechanics and stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alder posted:

I tried ToCS I just don't care enough about the characters to progress beyond intro. Also they feel very bland.

Trails' characters are good but CS probably has the weakest open by introducing a large cast in bulk then fleshing them out bit by bit in later chapters.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Really wished being able to swap out people mid-battle wasn't locked behind a social link, let alone one that's not even a main character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

How about FeMC?

Also Catherine had working adults as the main cast.

Catherine is not Persona, it was an experimental game that sold pretty decently. Persona is their big moneymaker hit where the high schoolers and the high school setting is a big deal to a ton of people, they are not dropping that unless something big happens that would make them see that change as necessary.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Offisona:

You're a generic male Japanese office worker. While staying late waiting for the boss to leave...and wow the last thing I would want to do is explore a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Baal posted:

Catherine is not Persona, it was an experimental game that sold pretty decently. Persona is their big moneymaker hit where the high schoolers and the high school setting is a big deal to a ton of people, they are not dropping that unless something big happens that would make them see that change as necessary.

You don't really need to post why it's not going to happen. I don't think anyone here is under any illusions that it will (you're right, it won't) happen just expressing frustration that it could without destroying the franchise.

Let 'em. It's not doing any harm.