Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

neonbregna posted:

Can someone that doesn't plan on buying the game past the trial please try and see if it is still possible to cheat engine yourself billions of the multiplayer currency and not get banned.

I think it's a real good idea to take not being banned during a trial period as proof that you won't be banned a week after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

nerdz posted:

Well for a lot of people, myself included it really was the whole game

I never finished that dumpster fire

I got to earth in ME3 which I imagine was right before the conclusion, but I stopped playing and never returned because I couldn't give a gently caress any more.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think it's a real good idea to take not being banned during a trial period as proof that you won't be banned a week after release.

I do want to cheat the single player though, screw having to scan every planet in the galaxy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bloodysabbath posted:

It was my understanding that Casey Hudson was the egomaniac who botched the ME3 story landing, not Mac? Like I could swear I remember it came out that he legit locked himself in a room with Mac and dictated the ending of ME3, bypassing the (then standard) process at Bioware where every writer had to defend their output against feedback from the rest of the writing staff.

I don't know if that's still protocol or if the only litmus tests are now "don't gently caress with the micro transactions or hurt Manveer's feelings."

Mac Walters definitely gives a bit of cause for concern. He's the guy who wrote virtually every ME comic (and I think did outlines for the last two novels?) and had them all focus on some combination of Aria, the Illusive Man or Kai Leng.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

It was my understanding that Casey Hudson was the egomaniac who botched the ME3 story landing, not Mac? Like I could swear I remember it came out that he legit locked himself in a room with Mac and dictated the ending of ME3, bypassing the (then standard) process at Bioware where every writer had to defend their output against feedback from the rest of the writing staff.

I don't know if that's still protocol or if the only litmus tests are now "don't gently caress with the micro transactions or hurt Manveer's feelings."

The original ME3 ending was a "down the rabbit hole" Dark Energy storyline that was briefly brought up once during ME2.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
One thing I am glad of is that the Andromeda Initiative was a dismal failure because of hubris. That's a nice realistic touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

I unironically chuckled when he said "Nah do you know how many humans I've watched die? You guys are meat." when you ask him to join you so I guess I'm a huge retard

See, that's another thing that doesn't mesh well with the timeline. Like "You spoil"? That's implying that it's age that got them, since krogan aren't exactly immune to gunshot wounds. No particular room for criticism there.

And, well, it hasn't been long enough for that.

First contact was 26 years ago, give or take. Humans live for 150 years on average in the setting, barring accidents and pissing off Shepard, which means even the old humans he'd met were probably still kicking around. I mean, Zaeed was kicking around then, and he aged like fine jerky. Only thing age added was mean.

If the setting had humans around for centuries, he'd be delivering the line from a position of experience, but here it's just dumb.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but Annihilation (Field) can't be detonated by Nova.

It's funny, because Charge/Nova/Annihilation Field was almost a running joke in the ME3MP as a hypothetical most-broken-class, and it turns out it doesn't work. :(

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Played the game up until getting the Tempest. Bit weird playing with a keyboard and mouse after doing the trilogy with a controller, but otherwise seems fine so far?

Cute touch: Upon loading the game, my Logitech G810 keyboard backlit itself with the Andromeda Initiative's AI logo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schlesische posted:

The original ME3 ending was a "down the rabbit hole" Dark Energy storyline that was briefly brought up once during ME2.

To be more specific: Drew Karpyshyn's original idea for the Reaper's existence was that the titular mass effect actually doesn't violate conservation of energy - it ends up drawing the energy from the universe as a whole, accelerating entropy, which leads to stars dying faster than they should (re: the dark energy readings in Tali's mission). The Reapers created their scheme to allow civilizations to flourish for a certain period of time until they eventually developed mass effect technology in sufficient amounts as to be harmful to the universe, whereupon they'd swoop in and cull the existing civilizations (to prevent further stellar decay), preserving some of them as Reapers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but Annihilation (Field) can't be detonated by Nova.

It's funny, because Charge/Nova/Annihilation Field was almost a running joke in the ME3MP as a hypothetical most-broken-class, and it turns out it doesn't work. :(

I might be misreading the tooltip, but I don't think Nova is a detonator, nor a primer. They've considerably scaled back on the number of combo powers.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

okaaaay, that's deffo me waiting before getting this until they put out a patch that makes me take this poo poo at least semi-seriously as opposed to the complete joke it is now.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vermain posted:

To be more specific: Drew Karpyshyn's original idea for the Reaper's existence was that the titular mass effect actually doesn't violate conservation of energy - it ends up drawing the energy from the universe as a whole, accelerating entropy, which leads to stars dying faster than they should (re: the dark energy readings in Tali's mission). The Reapers created their scheme to allow civilizations to flourish for a certain period of time until they eventually developed mass effect technology in sufficient amounts as to be harmful to the universe, whereupon they'd swoop in and cull the existing civilizations (to prevent further stellar decay), preserving some of them as Reapers.

They also used the Reapers as AIs to figure out a solution to global warming high warp speeds destroying space-time. I'm not sure why you just wouldn't destroy the mass relays and then pull a Quarantine on systems with sapient life so all life could flourish. Or even just tell them "hey all this warping around is bad, keep it down" backed by muscle.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I might be misreading the tooltip, but I don't think Nova is a detonator, nor a primer. They've considerably scaled back on the number of combo powers.
Aaaaw man. There goes a ridiculous vanguard setup.

I will not be satisfied until I've figured out how to totally break the game.

to be fair, Jetpack + Biotic Charge is already kinda getting there. Nobody is safe from the human cannonball.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really wish we lived in the timeline where Karpyshyn stayed with the trilogy to the end instead of leaving for SWTOR.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So far the only thing that I flat out do not like is that lack of a Quick Save.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I'm not sure why you just wouldn't destroy the mass relays and then pull a Quarantine on systems with sapient life so all life could flourish. Or even just tell them "hey all this warping around is bad, keep it down" backed by muscle.

Probably just paternalism, an attitude the Reapers have in spades in all three games. They don't want to risk a civilization getting advanced enough to find a way to fight back against the Reapers successfully, so it's better to simply wipe them out once they start using the mass relays in a great enough quantity, rather than risk a bunch of ambitious civilizations wiping them out and then going on to accelerate the heat death of the universe by billions of years.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Okay, so I put about two hours into the trial today. Here are my thoughts:

Pros
-The game looks fantastic. The environments, vehicles and armor are top-notch.
-Combat is smooth, with movement and shooting feeling easy to control and the limit of three powers per profile is great for focusing you down into a specific set of options. I went full on biotic and good old pull/throw was great. I like being able to pull targets to me and use them as projectiles. Lance is also a fun power, as it can headshot and trigger biotic combos.
-The opening is pretty thrilling, and they throw you headlong into some fancy sequences. Clearly they wanted to show off what Frostbite is good at.
-Crafting looks fun, I like little subsystems where you acquire parts and fashion them into new stuff, so this will definitely scratch that itch. I know it isn't for everyone.
-The setup is more interesting than I thought it would be. The mystery of the missing arks, the Scourge and the Kett etc. plus my curiosity about DadRyder's true motivations is all good. Looking forward to exploring all the stories in the full game.
-Squadmates are okay. Liam seems interesting, as does Vetra, but I rushed through most conversations to get to the actual gameplay. So far no one is annoying as gently caress, though Cora is pretty one-note.

Cons
-The characters models and animations are bad. Not as bad as all the gifs and videos made them out to be, but still singularly Bioware in how obviously substandard they are. They especially stick out more in the great-looking environments, and are the one place where the game fails graphically.
- The UI and menus are an exercise in frustration. Just trying to change my loadout or select power sets was painfully clumsy. I might play with a controller to see if that is any better, but navigating the menus is gonna suck real bad.
- Cutscenes are sometimes hilariously bad. I dunno if the dialogue is triggering at different times, but holy moly I was laughing at some points where characters would say nonsensical poo poo, but then a moment later things would make sense. Maybe a bug?
-The Tempest is gonna be a pain to navigate around in. The lift that freezes you in place while it moves is wholly unforgivable.
-Not all character models are created equal. Some streams I've watched had a haircut for SisRyder that bounced around and moved when she did, which was impressive. But the default one given to default SisRyder is hilariously static and unmoving. Coming from HZD and Aloy's tentacle monster hair, this is bad in a whole different way.

Game runs smooth. I think I only noticed one or two hitches the whole time. I was worried about early performance reports but it works pretty well. I did notice the classic Bioware glitches, with missing guns and stuff. Also every human character has a new and exciting way of walking in a completely hosed up way. Surprisingly SisRyder had great movement. I tried replicating the poo poo-run video but never could get it to work. Her run is noticeably better than FemShep's hilarious jog in ME3.

So far: average game. Not as good as I was hoping, and this is a pretty weak start for the game. If it gets better later on that's great, but this is kinda a repeat of ME1 with a thrilling opening followed by a lot of slow slog afterwards before you can get back to the good stuff. Rookie mistake, and so far the game hasn't gotten as good as ME2 or 3, but I'll wait to see how it is in the full version.

I'll play some MP later and post about that when I get a chance.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
so far this game unironically rules, go buy it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does her hair looks like this to everyone? It looks... untextured, with no shadowing.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Serf posted:

So far: average game. Not as good as I was hoping, and this is a pretty weak start for the game. If it gets better later on that's great, but this is kinda a repeat of ME1 with a thrilling opening followed by a lot of slow slog afterwards before you can get back to the good stuff. Rookie mistake, and so far the game hasn't gotten as good as ME2 or 3, but I'll wait to see how it is in the full version.
I've seen a couple of comments from reviewers who are 20+ hours in and like the game saying that they think the plot picks up past Eos and that it was a mistake for Bioware/EA to make that the cutoff (and to forbid them from talking about stuff that comes after), so I suppose it's possible that this is the ME equivalent of putting out a pre-release demo of DAI that let you play the prologue and then 10 thrilling hours of roaming the Hinterlands. Which would itself be a decision lol-worthy in its dumbness, but I wouldn't put it past them :shrug:.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

I unironically chuckled when he said "Nah do you know how many humans I've watched die? You guys are meat." when you ask him to join you so I guess I'm a huge retard

No, Drack is cool, you don't have to be embarrassed about liking him or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
After playing some multiplayer and spending some more time on Eos, I think this is like a bizarro Witcher, a great action game that makes you suffer through a tepid and forgettable story.

The Pathfinder poo poo is embarrassingly bad and Bioware should be ashamed of themselves for thinking that was acceptable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Apraxin posted:

I've seen a couple of comments from reviewers who are 20+ hours in and like the game saying that they think the plot picks up past Eos and that it was a mistake for Bioware/EA to make that the cutoff (and to forbid them from talking about stuff that comes after), so I suppose it's possible that this is the ME equivalent of putting out a pre-release demo of DAI that let you play the prologue and then 10 thrilling hours of roaming the Hinterlands. Which would itself be a decision lol-worthy in its dumbness, but I wouldn't put it past them :shrug:.

thats what i have heard as well. hope they are right, a few bioware games have had slow burns/crap starts before.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This game is gonna suckkkkkkk, hopefully the MP is good but not holding my breath

I guarantee this will get 1-2 points higher than Assassin's Creed: France did.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wrong thread!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The two opinions seem to be: THIS GAME IS THE WORST or THIS GAME IS THE BEST

I mean are we allowed to say it's a really fun game with a lot of issues? That it needs patching but it's worth the price of admission? It's almost like every other Mass Effect game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serf posted:

-The Tempest is gonna be a pain to navigate around in. The lift that freezes you in place while it moves is wholly unforgivable.

There at ladders at the forward sides of the vehicle bay and the living quarters. They're a lot quicker than the dumb lift.

Apraxin posted:

Be loving hilarious if they made this same mistake after all the crap they took for the Hinterlands in DA: I.

Dammit Bioware, you made ME 2! You know how to do a strong open.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean are we allowed to say it's a really fun game with a lot of issues? That it needs patching but it's worth the price of admission? It's almost like every other Mass Effect game.

If you read between all the stupid hyperbole, the opinions of most of the folks who've actually sat down with the preview vary between metered praise and conditional disappointment.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skippy McPants posted:

Dammit Bioware, you made ME 2!

Not exactly.

Rookersh posted:

Bioware doesn't exist anymore.

DA:O was a surprise success that took 6ish years to make and almost everyone working at Bioware to put out the door. EA had no faith in it, and suddenly it was one of their top selling franchises. So they did what EA does to highly successful franchises, and asked Bioware to make another one. Except for this new one, they wanted it started and finished in under a year, as they had a dream of an annual RPG franchise. Mind you that's hard enough to pull off for FPS games which are relatively simple to make with multiple teams. Bioware was expected to put together a full length AAA RPG in 6-7 months while also putting out the last of the DA:O DLC.

This killed the company. Huge swathes of people up and quit. They couldn't handle the stress. They couldn't handle what they were expected to do. Every single major program director and creative lead left the company during this year period where they were developing DA2. Go look at LinkedIn profiles for the major people that worked on DA:O, and more then half of them suddenly leave Bioware in 2010. The combat director quit and wasn't replaced for months, so they had no real lead directing what the combat should have been during that period. Major story beats and combat ideas got forced into the game in the final months of 2010 not because they were good, but because the game needed to ship in a few months and it needed to get out the door. To help the DA team actually finish DA2 in a somewhat annual fashion, they drew most of the ME2 team off ME, throwing them into this grinder as well.

By the time DA2 launched, around half if not more of the original "Bioware" was gone. Go through the credits of DA:O, ME1, or ME2 and start LinkedIning people, none of them work for Bioware anymore. Most left between 2010 and 2012.

It's been a pretty steady drain since then. Compare the credits list of Inquisition to the credits list of DA:O or DA2. It's almost an entirely new team, and it's a team that Bioware specifically hired to replace the losses from DA2. It's why so many styles have changed since then, why the gameplay changed so steadily, and why they chose to try so many new things. Because Inquisition wasn't made by the DA:O team trying their hand at open world game design. It was maybe 1/6th of the guys that even touched DA:O/DA2 suddenly getting an influx of new blood, most of it Bioware fans finally getting a chance to work for the company they loved, that had great new ideas for what they wanted out of future Bioware games.

It's the same for the ME team. The brain drain has been bad, and the development of Andromeda has apparently picked off massive chunks of the team. The lead writer of the group was the lead writer for Halo 4, and he apparently clashed with a lot of the senior writers/main writers of previous ME games. A whole bunch of goon favorite ME writers have quit the company, and on various development forums have mentioned it was due to creative differences with the former lead writer. Gameplay leads have been leaving the ME/Bioware teams at a pretty steady pace since the game was developed as well. The story had to be picked up mid completion as the lead writer got forced out/quit and replaced, which likely doesn't mean great things for the narrative ( which we are also seeing here. ). Andromeda has currently had the great slow drip of Bioware talent since the dark days of 2010 when DA2 "killed" the company. They've been forced to cycle talent multiple times during the development of Andromeda, not just in management ( which has seen multiple complete turnovers ), but also among the rank and file people working on the game.

This isn't to say Andromeda can't be great, or that it won't live up to the hype. I'm personally hoping it does because I need something to play right now. But if it's good, it'll be good on it's own merits and it's own merits alone, rather then because "it's a Bioware game, I like Bioware!". Because Bioware doesn't exist anymore, it's a completely new entity and needs to be treated as such. People really need to be viewing this as "EA'S NEW ACQUISITION, BIOWARE VICTORY'S FIRST RPG. HOPE IT'S GOOD." rather then "Bioware always makes quality. I know what I'll get here.". As it is right now, EA is propping up Bioware's corpse with a new studio and hoping people don't notice while they keep using it as their RPG house.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

There are loads of people saying exactly this.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Apraxin posted:

I certainly hope that Eos isn't this game's Hinterlands because there isn't nearly enough stuff to do. I'm only 6 hours in and I've exhausted all the quests except scanning minerals.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

DrNutt posted:

After playing some multiplayer and spending some more time on Eos, I think this is like a bizarro Witcher, a great action game that makes you suffer through a tepid and forgettable story.

The Pathfinder poo poo is embarrassingly bad and Bioware should be ashamed of themselves for thinking that was acceptable.

Bioware games are Mary Sue simulators with YOU as the star which is why there is always some sort of awe inspiring major role for the player that usually includes a fancy title.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If this dude isn't a plant I legitimately wish I could enjoy games like he does.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i read the bad reviews and immediately went and downloaded the demo and handed over my 5.33. i guess it's true that any pub is good pub

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

say whatever you want

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Bioware games are Mary Sue simulators with YOU as the star which is why there is always some sort of awe inspiring major role for the player that usually includes a fancy title.

While this is true, the ~*Pathfinder*~ feels like they least special role they've created for a protagonist to date. and the fact that you get the job because of space nepotism only compounds the silliness.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Skippy McPants posted:

While this is true, the ~*Pathfinder*~ feels like they least special role they've created for a protagonist to date. and the fact that you get the job because of space nepotism only compounds the silliness.

From the looks of it there are also a bunch of people who go "You're the one in charge of finding new planets? Great we're hosed."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

From the looks of it there are also a bunch of people who go "You're the one in charge of finding new planets? Great we're hosed."

Some, and the Nexus did try to set up a few outpost of their own before resources starting running thin. I'm not saying there's zero pretense for why you are THE ONE, only that it's thinner than usual this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I get the feeling you are really this dumb.