Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My kart is third hand off some guy in Nascar now, I find it hard to believe there's no skill transfer when the first ten years of racing is spent doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Turn left? Don't you mean turn right? They always turn left. Do I know more about this lovely sport than you do?

It's not some badge you get called 'Road Racing' and you tick it off. You can spend an entire career perfecting those skills and someone that has been doing that, as opposed to splitting is focus to another form of racing largely irrelevant to the first, is going to be better.

1500quidporsche posted:

My kart is third hand off some guy in Nascar now, I find it hard to believe there's no skill transfer when the first ten years of racing is spent doing the same thing.

It's not binary, dude. It's no 'no transfer'. It's in all the hours I've been practicing I've been doing poo poo that is solely relevant to F1. You've been splitting your time between that and ovals. Maybe you overcome people by sheer skill for a while, in at the pointy end (F1 itself), I don't believe you're going to be able to do that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Turn left? Don't you mean turn right? They always turn left. Do I know more about this lovely sport than you do?

It's not some badge you get called 'Road Racing' and you tick it off. You can spend an entire career perfecting those skills and someone that has been doing that, as opposed to splitting is focus to another form of racing largely irrelevant to the first, is going to be better.

No uhhhhhhhhhh I meant turn left, NASCAR tracks are clockwise.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ok whatever. Do you get my point, though?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I get your point. Its just a poo poo point that isn't correct.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

ok whatever. Do you get my point, though?

No, it's literally a proven fact (given the many drivers who have exhibited speed in both disciplines) that these skills are much more transferable than you're suggesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do you think that like, turning the steering wheel clock-wise is like some kind of weird discipline that's much different than turning it counter-clock-wise

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Like you mentioned, Iracing really did give me a respect for oval racing. Its not relaxing at all. I saw an interview with (i think) jeff gordan where he described the "line" around an oval and really they are using road racing techniques. Its just that the track really only has 2 or 3 very long lines. Its not their fault that their traditional circuits havent been ruined by bullshit chicanes. There were plenty of "barely brake ever" tracks 20 and 30 years ago in f1.

I dont watch nascar because its boring, in the same way that basketball is boring. I watch soccer, aka F1. But its not the fault of the athletes

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ok then. I don't agree. I think crossovers are rare and often with individually brilliant people that could drive anything. But if an American could be both WDC and oval champ at the same time, I would be very impressed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Do you think that like, turning the steering wheel clock-wise is like some kind of weird discipline that's much different than turning it counter-clock-wise

In Tony's mind its like when Uma Thurman visited the Old Chinese dude in Kill Bill and these drivers are just going off into the woods to spend a year turning left over and over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Montana posted:

ok then. I don't agree. I think crossovers are rare and often with individually brilliant people that could drive anything. But if an American could be both WDC and oval champ at the same time, I would be very impressed.

Mario Andretti did literally exactly this back when USAC was strictly an oval series.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

wicka posted:

No uhhhhhhhhhh I meant turn left, NASCAR tracks are clockwise.

Are you OK wicka? Are you trying some sarcasm or have you had an aneurysm?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

ok then. I don't agree.

What don't you agree with, exactly? Because these people exist regardless of whether or not you agree.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Mario Andretti did literally exactly this back when USAC was strictly an oval series.

Literally the best possible example. Grew up racing dirt ovals, went into F1 because he was an Italian kid who loved Ascari. If American kids on ovals grow up admiring American F1 drivers, the same poo poo will happen.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lets do a list. I've kinda always wanted to. We've got another week to wait.

So, drivers that have had success in IndyCar coming to F1 and then the other way.

poo poo we could probably list them all.

I know Mansell did the back to back WDC and then Indy.

I know Zinardi had a hard time in F1, it didn't work out and he asked for the steel brake discs on his car before he quit because he couldn't adjust to the carbon ones.

I know Montoya was and is successful in both.

oh yeah Andretti, of course.

Those are all seriously talented drivers. Do you think F1 today is what is was when they did these things? Is Indycar?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Andretti was the only one to do it when USAC was almost entirely an oval series.

(though strangely enough Mansell was much better on Indycar ovals than he was on road courses, probably because NewmanHaas had the best engines in '93)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly do not care that Americans don't have much of a history in F1, tbh, I care much more about getting them back in top level motorcycle racing.

gently caress Spain

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think the whole point of this conversation is envisioning a hypothetical future in which F1 is significantly more popular than it is now, no? So the fact that drivers aren't making that leap currently isn't super relevant.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I honestly do not care that Americans don't have much of a history in F1, tbh, I care much more about getting them back in top level motorcycle racing.

gently caress Spain

I just finished watching the 00 season and it was loving great.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Did this guy call v8 supercars poo poo? Im American and I love it. It's fast, its aggressive, the tracks are interesting and the cars sound great. Its what I wish NASCAR was. Im a bit disappointed with next years new regulations. They are trying to change it into regular old touring cars. Dont get me wrong I love touring, but there are already good series for that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I just finished watching the 00 season and it was loving great.

Get some old 500cc footage, the whole reason Americans were so good was that those loving things had so much power and so little grip that before they fixed it with more manageable engine timings, you absolutely needed a background racing motorcycles on dirt ovals to get the most out of them, and those were all Americans and Australians.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

gently caress Spain

Ben Spies flew too close to the sun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I frankly don't get what people see in V8 Supercars. The racing is mostly poor and the same two teams win almost every race.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Andretti was the only one to do it when USAC was almost entirely an oval series.
(though strangely enough Mansell was much better on Indycar ovals than he was on road courses, probably because NewmanHaas had the best engines in '93)

So he is an outlier and not the reliable method on which to develop American F1 drivers?

wicka posted:

I think the whole point of this conversation is envisioning a hypothetical future in which F1 is significantly more popular than it is now, no? So the fact that drivers aren't making that leap currently isn't super relevant.

Exactly. I always say 'can you blame them?' because if my national series was as big as NASCAR and suzy rottencrotch had never heard of F1 and there was money flying around like it does in the States, why would you focus on F1? It's just a fact, not a judgement. It's got nothing to do with race and everything to do with where you've been spending your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcMeRtWCZU

Anyways, lets have a video. Great excuse to post Nige running through his new toy. The rear shot of the indycar ready for the oval is awesome, 'looks like it's been in an accident!'

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Exactly. I always say 'can you blame them?' because if my national series was as big as NASCAR and suzy rottencrotch had never heard of F1 and there was money flying around like it does in the States, why would you focus on F1? It's just a fact, not a judgement. It's got nothing to do with race and everything to do with where you've been spending your time.

It would appear that we have ended this discussion by arriving at a point of mutual agreement and, honestly, that's loving terrifying.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Completely off topic but does anybody have a video of Mansell driving around with a reporter in a Ford Taurus in an oval. I remember watching that because it was my first car was one of those hunks of poo poo and it was the first time I really got interested in racing.

Alain Post posted:

Get some old 500cc footage, the whole reason Americans were so good was that those loving things had so much power and so little grip that before they fixed it with more manageable engine timings, you absolutely needed a background racing motorcycles on dirt ovals to get the most out of them, and those were all Americans and Australians.

Even though I race a two stroke I was pretty loving shocked at how insanely brutal the torque curve was coming out of the corners on those bikes. I can only imagine how loving insane it would've been in the 80s before the advent of modern ignition electronics and power valves.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Alain Post posted:

I frankly don't get what people see in V8 Supercars. The racing is mostly poor and the same two teams win almost every race.

Is this supposed to be an ironic post in the F1 thread?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

gret posted:

Is this supposed to be an ironic post in the F1 thread?

F1 is supposed to be boring. Touring car racing is supposed to be exciting and fun.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

This was earlier but Australia has the Supercars which has been exported and all sorts of non-Australians apparently give a poo poo about now.

It's just as garbage tier as NASCAR as in it's got nothing to do with anything except that little niche of skills. Supercars are about learning to drive a family sedan that could take a baby seat but instead has some ridiculous V8 under the hood. NASCAR is about driving in circles which has nothing to do with loving anything (except driving in circles). Powerslides are cool and good in a Supercar and slow in an F1 car. Learning how to 'run side by side' like the Yanks love to say actually has nothing to do with anything because you don't get up to 300 kph, slot in next to someone else and then try and take a sweeping curve together in anything other than oval racing.

Everyone that is worth anything in F1 and therefore open wheel racing (really the only racing in racing cars, because everything else is modified domestic cars and shapes, open wheeler is what you get when you design it as a racing car from the ground up) cut their teeth in Europe. You get off your rear end and move there and you'll find out very quickly if you've got it or not. We Aussies have done it forever (Brabham) and Americans will have to do the same. Europe (England very much a part of it in this sense, even with the Brexit silliness) is still the home of track racing and will be for my lifetime.

edit: that comment said about NASCAR and running in the pack, that's often touted as a skill of a NASCAR driver.. running in a high speed pack without contact. But they don't brake! They don't take any real corners! You're 'pack experience' means nothing to F1 because running in the pack on a F1 circuit is nothing like driving an oval.

edit2: I think I recognize a couple of you from the iRacing thread so you'll recognize this as a good ole Tony making GBS threads on ovals post :)

You sound like a real rear end in a top hat when you post like this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

loving lmao if you think driving a stock car around ovals is easy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I don't. I have noticed that road racers generally do ok when challenged with an oval but the reverse is rarely true. And I can't explain why that is.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bck2ykUay4g

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 17, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ferrari took Liberty up on the offer for FWONK shares. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/10/ferrari-formula-one-liberty-media-john-malone-stock

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Liberty FTW. Always knew the Scud would jump in.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Phony Montana

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/842376401198174208

loving love this guy when I work out what the broken English is intended to mean.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

So you don't remember the Renault van they put an F1 engine in and Prost did laps with

That wasn't what a European would call a van so much as a people carrier with blanked out windows.

Ford did the same thing with the Transit though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

Australian touring car racing was alright during the Group C/A days, but since the V8 formula I have been slowly losing interest in it. The Car of the Future platform brought in some manufacturers, but when you have Triple 8 and Whingecup/SVG combo going on, it's downright boring.

Except for Whingecup's gently caress ups at recent Bathurst 1000s.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

You sound like a real rear end in a top hat when you post like this.

He has a point though. Good drivers have competed in NASCAR (Montoya and Franchitti for example) but they cut their teeth in proper disciplines and usually only spent time in NASCAR for cynical reasons like white trash pay big bucks to watch that garbage. Just because they don't do well in it (the whole point system in that series is a ridiculous mindfuck that makes Bernie Ecclestone's poo poo ideas seem cool and good) doesn't mean that NASCAR is somehow as skillful as IRL or F1, if anything it's a bit like the townspeople in that film Fire Down Below.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Alain Post posted:

ITS ARE RACE WITH ARE HOLDEN VS ARE FORD.

• Locked thread