Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I heard that the number relates to its ability to disarm more powerful weapons/enemies with parries. Like if you use a pot lid to parry a bokoblin carrying a tree branch, the tree branch will get knocked out of their hand. But if you parry a moblin with a knight's sword they'll keep a hold of the weapon afterward, unless you're using a shield with a comparable rating.

I have no idea if that's true though since I suck at parrying and can't try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ That would make a lot more sense but it still wouldn't be that useful of a stat. I bet you're right though.

According to the guide, it's "parry power," which weirdly enough apparently determines how much impact bashing an enemy with your shield has (basically hitting an enemy with a parry instead of their weapon). No idea if that's right or not because I haven't tested it but even the guide says it's not a very useful statistic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has someone tested how many ancient lasers a brand new Hylian Shield can take?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really wish there were cool zelda like items out there in the world. Exploring for its own sake or just for shrines or seeds is not really that appealing to me personally. Got a good 50 hours out of it but realizing all these cool set piece things in optional zones exist solely for single shrines or whatever kinda sucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Calaveron posted:

The common metal ones?
I think just one laser kills them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Mine ate one right after I got it so I'd love to know this. I'm sure I'm nowhere near breaking it but I like my nostalgia shield :ohdear:

EDIT: Zeldawiki claims 27 lasers.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

Mine ate one right after I got it so I'd love to know this. I'm sure I'm nowhere near breaking it but I like my nostalgia shield :ohdear:

When it eventually breaks you can buy a new one in Tarry Town.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For people who play with the pro hud: How do you know what the temperature is? Just wait until Link starts shivering or something? If there was a step between that just got rid of the minimap, that would be cool, but I don't fell like memorizing the temperature of every part of the map.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

For people who play with the pro hud: How do you know what the temperature is? Just wait until Link starts shivering or something? If there was a step between that just got rid of the minimap, that would be cool, but I don't fell like memorizing the temperature of every part of the map.

Link shivers and you can check in the inventory menu what the temp is directly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I was thinking and I realized there was something I had no idea about during my entire time playing this game: what does the defense rating on shields actually do? It seems like you can block basically everything with non-parries even with a lovely shield.

Given that some normal attacks evaporate low-level shields, my bet is that it's something like "any shield can block any attack once, but the higher the attack is over the shield power, the more damage is applied directly to shield durability", with shield parries ignoring that because the attack is, well, parried. Which also explains why every shield evaporates with a guardian laser but the Hylian shield can eat quite a few of them.

Harrow posted:

If you're worried about it just don't use it for guardian deflections until you've unlocked all of Tarry Town and can buy a replacement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Link shivers and you can check in the inventory menu what the temp is directly.

Also if you're paying attention you'll always see a visual "poof" of heat or cold when you enter an area that's got a significant difference.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

EDIT: Zeldawiki claims 27 lasers.

Doesn't the second best shield have like 70 durability and the hylian has like 700? Something ridiculous.

As for the weight, I read it like the flavor text on lots of weapons. Just basically commenting how how superhuman links strength is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a sound effect and a visual pop when there's a temperature change, the music is different, and you can see him shivering or swaying. You don't need a temperature gauge the same way you don't need a humidity meter when you go outside to know if it's raining.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Doesn't the second best shield have like 70 durability and the hylian has like 700? Something ridiculous.

As for the weight, I read it like the flavor text on lots of weapons. Just basically commenting how how superhuman links strength is

Hylian Shield is 90.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its pretty obvious when its going to become too cold. Not only does Link start to shiver but frost appears in the air. That won't tell you if you need tier 1 or tier 2 cold resistance, but you can just check the inventory screen to quickly confirm if its extreme cold or not. As for heat, its literally only an issue in the Gerudo Desert. You can safely assume everything past Gerudo Town requires tier 2 heat resistance, and everything before it is only 1.

Other than the minimap the only thing I really miss with the pro HUD is the weather forecast, but that's only become I don't think it shows up anywhere on the inventory screen. Its useful to know just how loving long its gonna keep raining.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 17, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also if you're paying attention you'll always see a visual "poof" of heat or cold when you enter an area that's got a significant difference.

I was ascending a waterfall and the temperature dropped twice and I ended up dying cause my health so was low and I didn't have enough cold resist armor lol.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hylian Shield is 90.

It has 90 block power, but durability is a "hidden" stat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, you basically just watch for Link's body language. You'll also see a puff of frost around you when you need to put on warmer clothes/use warming food or elixirs.

That said, I find the pro hud tough to use just because there's no compass to indicate which way is north. I'm sure there are environmental clues I could use, but just a small compass would be all I'd need to use the pro hud full time.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hylian Shield is 90.

The number on it says 90 but it's way higher durability wise. Otherwise it couldn't eat 27 guardian lasers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hylian Shield is 90.

That's its "parry power." Its durability is like 800, over ten times the next-most durable shield.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh, weird. I guess.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Can any other shield, other than the ancient shield, withstand more than one laser blast?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

That said, I find the pro hud tough to use just because there's no compass to indicate which way is north. I'm sure there are environmental clues I could use, but just a small compass would be all I'd need to use the pro hud full time.

Look at where the sun is, and also have a general idea of what time it is.

late game exploration spoilers how did the wind fish get under the hebra mountains (to keep people from getting their hopes up: it's not alive anymore)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The same way he got stuck in the Gerudo Desert and wherever he is in the north east (someone tell me I can't find it)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, how many Zelda games have had explicitly romantic tones to Link and Zelda's relationship? I know Skyward Sword did, and in Breath of the Wild, Kass mentions that his teacher told him Zelda "only had eyes for her chosen knight," not to mention Paya's diary suggesting Link probably feels the same way about Zelda.

I always kind of enjoy the different levels of familiarity between Link and Zelda in each cycle. You go from things like Skyward Sword and BotW where they've known each other a long time to Twilight Princess where they barely even meet.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Calaveron posted:

The same way he got stuck in the Gerudo Desert and wherever he is in the north east (someone tell me I can't find it)

North of the abandoned goron mine; on the edge of the world. (You can see it on the map, too)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Calaveron posted:

That might be Jabu-Jabu in the desert - the Great Fairy there says that area used to be a spring.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I beat my first Zelda game today. Not for lack of trying with Twilight Princess, but it was just too boring. earlier games I didn't have the right console for them. Gotta say I think I picked a good one to finally complete. Ending left me wanting more. Would like an open world like this with Ganondorf since I've heard he's such a great villain.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

So, how many Zelda games have had explicitly romantic tones to Link and Zelda's relationship? I know Skyward Sword did, and in Breath of the Wild, Kass mentions that his teacher told him Zelda "only had eyes for her chosen knight," not to mention Paya's diary suggesting Link probably feels the same way about Zelda.

I always kind of enjoy the different levels of familiarity between Link and Zelda in each cycle. You go from things like Skyward Sword and BotW where they've known each other a long time to Twilight Princess where they barely even meet.

Phantom Hourglass has a bit (its an older version of Link and Tetra from Wind Waker). Spirit Tracks and Minish Cap have them as BFFs, though nothing really romantic since they're kids.

Almost every other game in the series they barely interact except for Ocarina of Time. And Zelda's mostly undercover there.

Interestingly OoT is the only pre-Wind Waker game with any actual relationship between the two and TP is the only post Wind Waker game where they aren't either good friends pre-game or romantically involved.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 17, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Spirit Tracks is another one, which makes sense since they're together the whole game. Also Zelda 2 I guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wind Waker has them as pirate bros.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
All this talk of durability and shields...

How do you feel considering Like-Likes have died out by BOTW? Would you have accepted the challenge they would have posed?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How do you feel considering Like-Likes have died out by BOTW? Would you have accepted the challenge they would have posed?

Would have been fine if they ate your stuff but you could kill them to get it back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I flip my poo poo every time my gear is shocked off of me I cannot imagine what it would've been like if my gear was stolen and damaged by a pile of pancakes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why is durability a hidden stat? at the very least i feel like weapons should have slight differences in appearance the more damaged they are. i am not a fan of the ending either

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

why is durability a hidden stat? at the very least i feel like weapons should have slight differences in appearance the more damaged they are. i am not a fan of the ending either

There should at least be some visual indication in the menu of items that are damaged but not "badly" damaged. Right now we have the little twinkle for full durability and flashing red for "about to break," but maybe one more level to show you it's in the bottom half of its durability or something would've been helpful.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

spit on my clit posted:

why is durability a hidden stat? at the very least i feel like weapons should have slight differences in appearance the more damaged they are.

"Immersion”, i guess? i agree it’s dumb, but i can understand the argument why from an “rp” sort of view. they hint about how much damage a thing can take in the descriptions but that’s it, so my usual thing is to just chuck anything that’s not twinkling when one more of the same drops.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'd go extinct too if most shields had such poo poo durability they probably have zero nutrition.

Also I gotta say that the game's monster list is kind of poo poo. it's mostly color swaps with stat changes but I guess Zelda never really had much in terms of beasts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Immersion”, i guess? i agree it’s dumb, but i can understand the argument why from an “rp” sort of view. they hint about how much damage a thing can take in the descriptions but that’s it, so my usual thing is to just chuck anything that’s not twinkling when one more of the same drops.

I'd guess that it's just not something Nintendo wants you to think of in a granular sense. A weapon is either brand new, doing okay, or about to break and the rest doesn't matter. I still think "somewhat damaged" would be a useful state to indicate, but I don't need to see the exact number or a little bar or anything.

Then again, this is the Zelda game that wants you to track more granular things than ever. Attack and defense are discrete stats and extremely important, there are multiple levels of cold, fire, and electric resistance, there are fuckin' set bonuses and armor upgrading, all of that stuff, so maybe the "they just didn't want you to think about it too hard" argument doesn't hold water here.

Dizz posted:

Also I gotta say that the game's monster list is kind of poo poo. it's mostly color swaps with stat changes but I guess Zelda never really had much in terms of beasts.

There are still some classic monsters that I wish they'd been able to fit in, just for the sake of variety. Darknuts might've been cool, especially with some variant of the Wind Waker "take off their armor to hurt them" gimmick. There's no spider-type enemy like Gohmas or Skulltulas, only one kind of flying enemy (Keese), and nothing bestial that's an actual enemy and not just a barely-aggressive critter--why not Wolfos or something? Maybe the Deku Babas (the plants that bite you)?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

Press start

It shows it next to link, plus you can see if he's shivering or something.

Pro is love. Embrace the Pro.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We had a big argument about likelikes a few pages back