Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoku posted:

north korea's strategy hinges on their ability to launch multiple warheads and intimidate the other two actors (SK and US) into not doing anything

it is a bad strategy, because the US will retaliate, but preemptive nuclear strike is the only real strategy NK has

north korea has everything to lose and nothing to gain by taking any military action against the US, nuclear or otherwise

they are happiest when raging from their hermit kingdom and doing nothing. they periodically lash out to get attention or food if they are feeling insecure about their rule

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Addamere posted:

thanks for this, do you have any recommended readings on the topic from a popular science level of reading

listen to hardcore history

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. pretty much. i know its too soon but i honestly think trump will be viewed as worse then Harding maybe even Buchanan and Johnson.

lmebo

harding had a bribery scandal, let his idiot friends do w/e they pleased, was a general moron, and was banging a foreign spy

trump is like harding super saiyan, possibly super saiyan 2

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

Total war requires enormous economic and manpower costs, and to conduct total war most powerful and wealthy countries had to resort to years of rationing goods in order to fight it. Also, you need a draft to have enough manpower because volunteers won't be enough. Most democratic countries are nowhere near willing to shoulder the burden of total war unless there's a literal hitler marching across the globe (and we still didn't do poo poo until Japan forced our hand in WW2). Even then we still had an army composed mostly of draftees. (Korea was also mostly draftees, though lots of WW2 holdovers as well)

We like police actions because we can kind of half-assedly try to influence stuff with what we have lying around. Vietnam had a draft but we haven't done one since, and we tried doing Vietnam without a draft and only started drafting once mission creep forced us to in order to save face. Vast majority of our forces were still volunteers.

Why is it mostly post-WW2? Probably has something to do with technological advances making insurgency more feasible/effective, changes in media making human and economic costs more apparent, democratic institutions making it easier for popular resistance to stop wars/drafts/rationing, etc.

also, a total war would obviously be a nuclear war

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How the gently caress can anyone believe this kind of poo poo is even reachable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what about turtle war

could we still fight those

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

north korea has everything to lose and nothing to gain by taking any military action against the US, nuclear or otherwise

they are happiest when raging from their hermit kingdom and doing nothing. they periodically lash out to get attention or food if they are feeling insecure about their rule

this is a cool opinion to have when the US president is someone who is in on their game

trump, uh, is not

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

JosefStalinator posted:

north korea isn't gonna do poo poo on its own unless trump does something loving stupid and chooses to start a war with it

trump would never do something so stupid

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I live like 20 minutes from Lexington, TN and grew up with people from there. It's full of the dumbest god damned people you could imagine.

Case in point: John McAfee

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

How the gently caress can anyone believe this kind of poo poo is even reachable

theyre not lol. if you make a good point they claim god-jesus and having faith so you mostly just laugh at them until they get killed by their own choices

ironically the less their candidates win the longer they live so tormp care passing would do wonders for the american political landscape

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Olds ruin everything

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Squizzle posted:

what about turtle war

Has anyone actually seen Mitch McConnell since this healthcare bill came out??

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Squizzle posted:

what about turtle war

lol

turdle war

with turds

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

listen to hardcore history

lol no

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

what about turtle war

h a v e y o u e v e r s e e n a t u r t l e g e t d o w n

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Every day we stray further from God's light.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mormonpartyboat posted:

lol

turdle war

with turds

t'irdle war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygc_NZo6_HM

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

what about turtle war

are we fighting a jihad against all turtles everywhere, or is it the usual factional thing where we're not quite sure where the lines between various turtle alliances lie, or which turtles we should give what weapons and intelligence to

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
She's a first grade teacher lol

Edit: I guess you don't really have to know poo poo to be a first grade teacher

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duscat posted:

also, a total war would obviously be a nuclear war

that too, but I think the original question was framed to ask why we don't go balls to the wall to say, defeat north korea (pre nukes) or invade iraq or whatever too.

I guess adding to that then - if it would be worth total war, it'd probably be a nuclear exchange too. So any non-nuclear states are viewed as "low stakes" and not worth the enormous costs of total war.

Addamere posted:

thanks for this, do you have any recommended readings on the topic from a popular science level of reading

Not really, but maybe some other posts have better recommendations. Good books on Vietnam would probably be the most enlightening since that was the war that really demonstrated the US' lack of ability/desire to go all in on police actions.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Baloogan posted:

my n-bomb dropping mother

Yeah, I figured.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

people some people are just so aggressively stupid aren't they

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tainen posted:

"former" first-grade teacher, age 52

she either married rich or is on disability lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

that too, but I think the original question was framed to ask why we don't go balls to the wall to say, defeat north korea (pre nukes) or invade iraq or whatever too.

I guess adding to that then - if it would be worth total war, it'd probably be a nuclear exchange too. So any non-nuclear states are viewed as "low stakes" and not worth the enormous costs of total war.

Not really, but maybe some other posts have better recommendations. Good books on Vietnam would probably be the most enlightening since that was the war that really demonstrated the US' lack of ability/desire to go all in on police actions.

dereliction of duty by our current head of NSC is excellent, but maybe not as militarily interested as wanted

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lol she is going to get hosed so hard

quote:

McComic said she’s not worried about her disability benefits changing or her 3-year-old granddaughter getting kicked off Medicaid or her 33-year-old son’s premiums going up.

“So far, everything’s been positive, from what I can tell,” she said, waiting for Trump’s rally here to begin Wednesday night. "I just hope that more and more people and children get covered under this new health-care plan.”

McComic says she has never trusted a president the way she trusts Trump. Ahead of the election, she and her relatives turned their cars into a “Trump train” and drove across Lexington, waving flags and shouting: “Trump! Trump! Vote for Trump!”

This was after the CBO report was released

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

what would "defeating" north korea even mean?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/DeathAndTaxes/status/842385505358630912

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duscat posted:

what would "defeating" north korea even mean?

well if trump is as smart as w bush, it means destroying the regular North Korean army and then being welcomed as liberators in the stable, free, and prosperous ruin that would be leftover

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I hate our dumb, idiot president

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Tainen posted:

can we please not poo poo on teachers

most teachers are not as idiotic as the one in the article and we do society in general a disservice by insulting them as a group

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Duscat posted:

look at this lurid scrotopotamus, just look at it

it has its name spelled out on two different items of its clothing that it wears

it is president of the united states of america, but it has no idea what it's doing, or what it's supposed to be doing

even here on the golf course it is not happy, because it knows, OH IT KNOWS, that it is loving everything up, and people are dying

it doesn't care that people are dying, in particular, but when you are loving everything up, it means fewer people will adore you

and this lurid scrotopotamus wants nothing from this life but to be adored and worshiped by everyone for its lurid magnificence

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Tainen posted:

Lol she is going to get hosed so hard

she probably won't, honestly, because every republican knows except for the lunatics that they'd be up poo poo creek if they did blow up her benefits

its why the health care bill is going down, its why meals on wheels isn't getting defunded, its why the lake reconstruction projects on the great lakes aren't going away.

no one notices the government until you take it away, and then they take your job away :shrug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

hahahahaha
during a real crisis watching TV will not calm him down

hahaha we re all doomed hahahah

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

she probably won't, honestly, because every republican knows except for the lunatics that they'd be up poo poo creek if they did blow up her benefits

its why the health care bill is going down, its why meals on wheels isn't getting defunded, its why the lake reconstruction projects on the great lakes aren't going away.

no one notices the government until you take it away, and then they take your job away :shrug:

block grants gon' happen.

trump gon' give it to ya'

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Duscat posted:

look at this lurid scrotopotamus, just look at it

it has its name spelled out on two different items of its clothing that it wears

it is president of the united states of america, but it has no idea what it's doing, or what it's supposed to be doing

even here on the golf course it is not happy, because it knows, OH IT KNOWS, that it is loving everything up, and people are dying

it doesn't care that people are dying, in particular, but when you are loving everything up, it means fewer people will adore you

and this lurid scrotopotamus wants nothing from this life but to be adored and worshiped by everyone for its lurid magnificence

our 70 year old fat president has acne

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

block grants gon' happen.

trump gon' give it to ya'

i still pull up the video of richard spencer getting punched to x gon' give it to ya' and have a hardy laugh

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:barf:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Telephones posted:

people some people are just so aggressively stupid aren't they

"some"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

“Nothing is in concrete yet. Give the man a chance,” she said. “Until you hear it from Donald J. Trump himself — and not the news media — then don’t even worry about it. Wait until you hear the man say it, because he will tweet it, he will Facebook it or he will go onto national television and tell everybody at the same time.”
Oh my gooooooddddddd

• Locked thread