Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My Massachusetts state one worked this time but I had to get one mailed by the actual department cuz it had an embossed seal which magically made it better, but the visa agency said they wanted the FBI one linked here. We argued that I had been in China for years and blah blah and eventually it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

just write "i ain't done poo poo y'all can quote me on it" on an old piece of toilet paper and put a huge red stamp on it and turn it in, will prob work out just fine

:dukedoge: This is the true china way

Also, saying meibanfa over and over, and rolling around on the floor helps

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Magna Kaser posted:

My Massachusetts state one worked this time but I had to get one mailed by the actual department cuz it had an embossed seal which magically made it better, but the visa agency said they wanted the FBI one linked here. We argued that I had been in China for years and blah blah and eventually it worked.

pfff, try being from DC and repeatedly explaining that it's not an actual state... (korea wanted criminal checks with a state apostille for some reason, probably bc someone had read about it in some spy thriller and thought it sounded cool..)Fortunately, being classified as an actual "professor" and the visa that came with it meant I was magically not a criminal/child molester and didn't need the check

kiwi friend told one place like at least 20 times that the reason he didn't have an fbi check was because he was not an American

ladron fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 9, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

just write "i ain't done poo poo y'all can quote me on it" on an old piece of toilet paper and put a huge red stamp on it and turn it in, will prob work out just fine

I mean, this is basically what they did up to now

When I first came here I had to sign a note promising I wasn't a criminal.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've never had to have a criminal check before idk why everyone else has? I got my FEC in 2009 tho so maybe that makes a difference

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They just added it to the work visa requirements nationwide in the last couple months.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've never had to have a criminal check before idk why everyone else has? I got my FEC in 2009 tho so maybe that makes a difference

Same

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ladron posted:

kiwi friend told one place like at least 20 times that the reason he didn't have an fbi check was because he was not an American
No, this is not reasonable. FBI is for foreign, and you are also the foreign, so I cannot accept your saying that you cannot use FBI. Please improve for next time. Thank you.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Tupperwarez posted:

No, this is not reasonable. FBI is for foreign, and you are also the foreign, so I cannot accept your saying that you cannot use FBI. Please improve for next time. Thank you.

he wisely saw the exchange as a sign of incompetence to come and just stopped replying to their emails and got a job somewhere else

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

They just added it to the work visa requirements nationwide in the last couple months.

ugh i hope it isnt necessary for renewals at a current employer
my job doesnt give people time off to go get the visa handled locally so I assume they wont cover anything that would make this form convenient for me to get

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal to not get time off to do your visa stuff

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan require(d/s) fbi check for English monkeys so they probably copied that.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
here's the timeline I experienced in korea, afair:

2005-6: had to have a copy of my degree get a little stamp on it from the korean embassy. I lived in DC, so nbd. I don't think they even verified it in any way, just stamped a copy. When I actually got to korea, there were a bunch of people still teaching without degrees, so I was like wtf.

2007-8 - Christopher Paul Neil gets busted loving boys in thailand. turns out he had taught in korea, so everyone goes ballistic since it had been ingrained in them since birth that foreigners are all drug using rapists anyhow. to get my visa renewed, I had to fly back to dc for an interview at the embassy where the guy basically told me "don't touch kids". I hate kids and had never taught (or touched) them, only adults, but since it was the same visa no matter the age of the students.... Korea starts requiring police checks, so I grabbed one of those from virginia, then drove to richmond to get it apostilled, rather than deal with explaining "DC is not a state" for the 20th goddamned time

2008-9 - turns out I'm not the only one who thought of this, because people realized getting busted for loving kids in colorado still gives you a clean local check in oregon. someone snitched that this was the case to korean ministry of justice (that handles immigration issues), and suddenly everyone had to have an FBI check which also had to be apostilled. there was a one-year grace period iirc. I had finished my masters by then, so I switched to a professor visa and started teaching at a uni, my kiddie diddling days a secret that immigration would never discover...

it's all so arbitrary, and a totally clean and blemish free record was the only thing they would accept. I knew a guy who had gotten arrested at some vietnam war protest in the 60s and he had to leave. even drunk driving, which in korea is just like a $500 fine, was a reason not to renew your visa

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

ladron posted:

He should have just gotten the FBI check, get some fingerprints taken and mail them to D.C, the FBI check is cheapish ($18 USD). FBI will issue a report that person with these fingerprints has never committed a crime in America. No requirement to be an American or have a social security number to get one. Only issue is the 3ish month wait time that it takes for everyone to get the check.

For Canada, you can apply for a background check online and get a pdf report emailed to you in about 1 minute after completing the online form. China still wanted an original copy so I had to wait 2ish weeks for it to be processed on the Canadian police's side and mailed to me.

Useless Name fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I went to a fingerprinting place and they were telling me they were an FBI "channeler," and could get me a certification from the FBI that I don't have a criminal record in like a week. Anyone ever use one of these places?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

afaik those channelers are just firms who you pay more and they can do everything faster.

Just make sure they're on here: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers-for-departmental-order-submissions

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
WTF are they if they're not on that list? Fraudulent?

What is a "Departmental Order Submission?"

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
God, goons, I'm in a horrible position.

I got what appeared to be a really good job at a good school in Beijing. I'm a certified teacher, they're an offshore school registered with the ministry of education here, and they teach the same curriculum. Pay is good, I checked out the school online and it looks legit. I also get seniority while working there for my province, due to an agreement between districts.

The problem is that the superintendent, and the one doing the hiring and visa stuff, seems shady as hell. They need to replace a teacher and she wants me there immediately. The plan is to ship me over on a tourist (!!!) visa to teach until the end of June, during which they would be going through the process of getting me a Z visa. I'd leave in the summer, get it, and come back, ready to start up again in September with all the proper permits and stuff.

On a scale of pretty bad to catastrophic, how bad of an idea is it to teach with a tourist visa in the year of our lord 2017? I have no idea how to get around this, or get a proper visa, without burning bridges or losing the job. On the other hand, I've been warned that this could be a sign of more trouble ahead. The biggest problem is that I already signed the contract, assuming the visa stuff was on the level (I thought I would be getting the 90-day Z visa, not a tourist one).

I don't want to be thrown in Chinese prison.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe you can have a rest

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Quit your job

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

Quit your job

Okay

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starmaker posted:

I got what appeared to be a really good job at a good school in Beijing. I'm a certified teacher, they're an offshore school registered with the ministry of education here, and they teach the same curriculum. Pay is good, I checked out the school online and it looks legit. I also get seniority while working there for my province, due to an agreement between districts.

The problem is that the superintendent, and the one doing the hiring and visa stuff, seems shady as hell. They need to replace a teacher and she wants me there immediately. The plan is to ship me over on a tourist (!!!) visa to teach until the end of June, during which they would be going through the process of getting me a Z visa. I'd leave in the summer, get it, and come back, ready to start up again in September with all the proper permits and stuff.

On a scale of pretty bad to catastrophic, how bad of an idea is it to teach with a tourist visa in the year of our lord 2017? I have no idea how to get around this, or get a proper visa, without burning bridges or losing the job. On the other hand, I've been warned that this could be a sign of more trouble ahead. The biggest problem is that I already signed the contract, assuming the visa stuff was on the level (I thought I would be getting the 90-day Z visa, not a tourist one).

To be honest, this is pretty common in China. Because Chinese regulations and visa requirements take gently caress all forever, and they usually need people quite quickly because

1) someone just quit
or
2) they didn't think more than 3 days in advance

The place I'm working now just did this exact thing with a guy we brought over from Indianapolis. Our program started on Monday and on Friday I was told "I'm not sure we have time to get him the work visa", because THEY HADN'T EVEN STARTED THE PROCESS. So he's working here now and they are sending him back to the USA next month to get his work visa. It's not ideal, but you aren't going to get many places that can plan that far in advance in China. That's just the nature of the way contracts are signed here ("Sign this contract today and we'll give you 750,000 rmb" and your company or school says "ok!!!!" and then they say "poo poo it starts next week and we have no one for the job"), or the way people up and leave in the middle of terms because "[insert CHINA RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!]"

Obviously it's illegal to teach or work on a tourist visa, and you can tell them that if you decide not to do it, and they have no one to blame but themselves. But they are probably handcuffed by the external situations around them.

If you can get past this, you can have a good career and use that flexibility to do well at work and gain all kinds of trust and love from your bosses. It's how I made it 7 years plus down the road in Tianjin. If this type of thing bothers you, though, China is going to drive you nucking futs, and it might be best to cut your losses early and just find a new job.

If the school looks legit, the worst thing that could happen to you is you end up paying a 5,000 rmb fine, more or less, and you get booted from the country. They aren't going to jail you endlessly for teaching on a work visa, especially if you're at a prestigious school. If you were at Kelly Zhou's Happy Orange Hippo Smile English, you might, but if you're actually working with a place that pays on time and is well known, you will most likely be ok.

If you get hosed, please do not tell them "But TGA said it would be ok!!!".

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Starmaker posted:

how bad of an idea is it to teach with a tourist visa in the year of our lord 2017? I have no idea how to get around this, or get a proper visa, without burning bridges or losing the job. On the other hand, I've been warned that this could be a sign of more trouble ahead. The biggest problem is that I already signed the contract, assuming the visa stuff was on the level (I thought I would be getting the 90-day Z visa, not a tourist one).

Well, there's no such thing as a 90 day z-visa. They're always 30 days, and the first step in getting your temporary residence permit.

Once you have that, the z-visa is cancelled and you can come and go on your residency permit, which are always annual.

Additionally, you can't apply for a z-visa within China. In most cases they'll insist you apply from a visa centre in your home country. Sometimes you can apply from Hong Kong, but that requires somebody that understands how to fill out the paperwork correctly.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trammel posted:

Well, there's no such thing as a 90 day z-visa. They're always 30 days, and the first step in getting your temporary residence permit.

Once you have that, the z-visa is cancelled and you can come and go on your residency permit, which are always annual.

Additionally, you can't apply for a z-visa within China. In most cases they'll insist you apply from a visa centre in your home country. Sometimes you can apply from Hong Kong, but that requires somebody that understands how to fill out the paperwork correctly.

you can do all the paperwork in china but once you are issued your letter of invitation you have to apply through a specific consolate, but you can just mail it via mychinavisa.com and they'll do it for you. You can't get the z visa in china and getting the z visa requires you to be outside of china but you can get all the necessary stuff done from inside china for sure, other than actually getting the visa put in your passport

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I did have my application rejected the first time when I was going from an illegal visa to a Z-visa. Had to come back the next day and try again.

If you're doing a visa run to Hong Kong, always plan on having at least two full business days available. My last one was in 2012, though, so things may have changed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got my z in China, if your company has the right connections everything is doable.

If you think it's legit then I agree with TGA, this can be a sign of shady or it can just be normal China incompetence. I had to do a tourist to get here and it took them close to a year to get my actual work visa because my name is literally impossible for Chinese people to comprehend so they filled out the paperwork wrong like ten times.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Non-express non-rush, just standard service China visa turnaround in HK of any class (M, L etc) is 4 business days, ie queue up and submit forms even just 1 minute before 5pm on Monday, collect as soon as they open on Thursday (which again there'll be a queue for so don't book an 11am return flight or anything stupid on that day).

This assumes all your paperwork is in order and you don't need to wait for the school to send more documents

E: yeah your school can also post your paperwork off to an agency. I've never used one personally. I'd also never teach on a tourist visa in China, but maybe that's just how it goes and I'd never get a job in China if I wouldn't capitulate. The posters here that have done it might be better for you to listen to.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 17, 2017

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

This assumes all your paperwork is in order and you don't need to wait for the school to send more documents

That's one nice thing about the process. Usually the visa officer will double check all the paperwork before accepting the application. Once it's accepted and paid for, it's just a matter of waiting a few days. Rejections after that point are pretty rare.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trammel posted:

My new Dutch boss just got a 2 year residency

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I got my z in China, if your company has the right connections everything is doable.

If you think it's legit then I agree with TGA, this can be a sign of shady or it can just be normal China incompetence. I had to do a tourist to get here and it took them close to a year to get my actual work visa because my name is literally impossible for Chinese people to comprehend so they filled out the paperwork wrong like ten times.

It seemed legit at first, but there were a bunch of weird little red flags all along the process. I chalked it up to normal Chinese business stuff, but the turning point was when I talked to the visa agent (whom my employer recommended) who was pretty firm on the absolute necessity of the z visa, and when I mentioned my employer, she gave a knowing "ohhhhh" and told me that I needed to make sure I do things the right way. Then she left in a hurry.

In the end it was a risk I just wasn't prepared to take, and I told them I will only come on a z visa. I don't imagine I'll keep the job, but I'm fine with that. If this is how China operates, then yeah, I'm probably not cut out for it. Oh well, a few weeks' wasted effort.

As for the 90-day visa thing, the first (badly outdated) page of this thread mentioned the z2 visa, and trying to find more information about that online was a contradictory mess. It was a confluence of misunderstanding, miscommunication, and naivete that led me to assume they didn't intend to break the law.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 17, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When dealing with Chinese business it's never a bad idea to be overly cautious. The way things normally work is shady and disorganized but if you're feeling the red flags then getting out's a good idea. You can find a legitimate employer. They will still do dumb, incompetent poo poo though. Everything being a disaster because no one had any foresight and it's all done at the last possible second is standard procedure in East Asia.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

fart simpson posted:

That's cool. Maybe the CCP wants more foreigners to come and stay longer term in China? PR rights even?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

theyre starting to give 5 years with those fancy cards this month.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

theyre starting to give 5 years with those fancy cards this month.

I'm interested to see how easy those will be to get. I always wanted a residency card because like gently caress I'm gonna carry my passport everywhere I go in China. That's dumb.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Trammel posted:

That's cool. Maybe the CCP wants more foreigners to come and stay longer term in China? PR rights even?

This is the serious, no jokes, no silliness D&D thread. Jokes belong in gbs.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trammel posted:

yeah, that's what been holding back all of the foreigners coming to china. they have only been offering 1 year residency permits. now that they are offering 2 year ones, look out, the flood gates will open, and here comes all that foreign talent!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Starmaker posted:

You'll be fine!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

yeah, that's what been holding back all of the foreigners coming to china. they have only been offering 1 year residency permits. now that they are offering 2 year ones, look out, the flood gates will open, and here comes all that foreign talent!

I actually work in a place in the US that was about to finish the world's first energy positive fusion reactor, but our entire engineering and research team up and left to secure those 2-year Chinese residency permits

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Is there any point in my filing a complaint with Ctrip? They screwed me so hard last weekend I can barely walk, but I'm pretty sure any complaints made (especially English ones) will go straight into the circular file.