Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Email from a student:

"I'm sorry to be absent from your class today. I have killing dysmenorrhea. I'm dead."

Make sure to ask them who their necromancer is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

pookel posted:

Please point me to this thread, search is terrible.

I was going to say "happily!" but that makes me seem more deranged than I actually am. Not by much, but a little.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806850&perpage=40

e: phone-posting. I think that link should get you where you wantasked to go.

burial has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Mar 16, 2017

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I was going to say "happily!" but that makes me seem more deranged than I actually am. Not by much, but a little.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806850&perpage=40

e: phone-posting. I think that link should get you where you wantasked to go.
Yesssss thank you.

I need reading material, the worse the better. This is why I hang out in PYF.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One of my 7th grade students last year:

"Mr. C do you dab?"
"... Where the heck did you learn about that?"
"Rap videos."
"I guess the old people are right. Hip hop does lead kids to drugs."
"WHY ARE ALL THE ADULTS TELLING THAT DABBING IS DRUGS?! Also what's hip hop?"

I found out what "dab" means to kids two weeks later.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

pookel posted:

Yesssss thank you.

I need reading material, the worse the better. This is why I hang out in PYF.

Do let me know if you survive.

Also, my daughter owes me a dollar every time she dabs. If I could collect, I'd be so much more financially stable.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Speedboat Jones posted:

One of my 7th grade students last year:

"Mr. C do you dab?"
"... Where the heck did you learn about that?"
"Rap videos."
"I guess the old people are right. Hip hop does lead kids to drugs."
"WHY ARE ALL THE ADULTS TELLING THAT DABBING IS DRUGS?! Also what's hip hop?"

I found out what "dab" means to kids two weeks later.

I did the same thing almost, except I didn't mention drugs. I took my students on a field trip to meet some exchange students and talk about the country of the exchange students. One of my students asked the same question to the exchange students and I immediately said "Wait, does that mean what I think it means?" and I said it rather terse because I was thinking dabbing with regards to weed. Then, fortunately an exchange student asked "What's dabbing?" and the other kid demonstrated the dance move. I was immediately relieved, but then super embarrassed as there were many adults AND kids there and I felt like I just outed myself in front of everyone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So what is the drug meaning of "dab"?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
putting THC concentrate on a piece of metal and heating it up and breathing in the resulting fumes, is what the term means in my area

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tiggum posted:

So what is the drug meaning of "dab"?

I went on a horrible first date with a woman a few weeks ago where she had like five vodka drinks and did a bunch of dabs at a reggae club and passed out. I told the story to a few friends and was really surprised by how many educated adults in their 30s don't know the term.

Not sure of the goon above, but I'm more used to seeing dabbing in the context of someone putting hash oil in a pipe and then sticking a red hot nail into it, or vaping hash oil in an e-cigarette. To my understanding "dabbing" refers to smoking/vaping hash oil by whatever means, and "hash oil" is just a cannabis concentrate made with solvent and/or pressure equipment. Basically a higher-tech version of old-school manually rubbed hashish. But I'm not an expert.

I just described it to friends unfamiliar as "if having a beer is like weed, doing shots of vodka is like dabs."

quote:

putting THC concentrate on a piece of metal and heating it up and breathing in the resulting fumes, is what the term means in my area

You're quite sure you're not confusing it with "chasing the dragon" for heroin? I only have so many pothead friends, but I've never seen them do what you're describing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No, he's right. Dabbing is for wax and similar things. You heat a metal piece and press the wax "dab" to it. What you're describing is just vaping with weed oil.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I am 100% sure I am not confusing dabbing with some heroin thing, because my friends are potheads and I don't know anyone who does horse

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You're quite sure you're not confusing it with "chasing the dragon" for heroin? I only have so many pothead friends, but I've never seen them do what you're describing.

We used to call it "spotting", you do it with a sticky drop of cannabis oil/resin on a knife, then press a hot knife onto it while someone breathes in the resulting smoke, usually with the help of a funnel made from the top half of a plastic bottle.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Open Marriage Night posted:

No, he's right. Dabbing is for wax and similar things. You heat a metal piece and press the wax "dab" to it. What you're describing is just vaping with weed oil.

I have never met anyone who made a distinction between the two. It's all dabbing now.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I heard them called knifehits.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

slydingdoor posted:

I heard them called knifehits.

Where I am that's called hotknives.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I call it the 'ol spicy keychain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my son: its kinda weird to have a drug parlance derail in the poo poo kids say thread

me: :negative:

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I just remembered one.

I made up a bunch of scrambled eggs to stuff into breakfast burritos and freeze for future meals.

My Daughter (9): These eggs remind me of the egg guy on sesame street who's made out of eggs!
Me: . . . . who? is that a new character?
Her: I don't think so . . . he's the egg-man, you know the guy made out of eggs?
Me: . . . .
Her: . . .
Me: . . . do you mean big bird?
Her: Yeah! That's him!
Me: . . . he's a bird. Like a chicken. He's not made out of eggs . . .
Her: ohhhhhhh!!!!

The eggs were yellow and fluffy. They really did look like big bird, but how she made the connection that big bird was made out of eggs because my scrambled eggs were the same color as him I do not know. . . .

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
But, birds are made out of eggs.

Think about it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Powaqoatse posted:

my son: its kinda weird to have a drug parlance derail in the poo poo kids say thread

me: :negative:

I do have more thread-correct content on that though. I was working a lobbying booth at the Austin Capitol in support of pending marijuana legislation, and we kept seeing these groups of home-schoolers on some field trip, like 12-14yrs or so. To our surprise, their chaperones kept actively guiding them to us to ask questions, explaining that they wanted to expose the kids to the controversial parts of politics too.

So we end up getting to answer a lot of fun questions like "how did you decide to be a cannabis lobbyist?" and "what laws would you like to see changed." But then we got the occasional awkward question, like some 13yr old girl asking about the proposal to ticket rather than arrest for an ounce or less:

"Okay, so I'm not really familiar, how many marijuanas are in an ounce? Are they like pills or something?"

So I get to explain what weed basically is to a group of conservative Christian tweens in stodgy business attire. Then other guys got questions like "what's it feel like to take marijuana?"

Again, it was their chaperones deliberately herding them to us, we're not targeting kids or anything, but we did wonder how many got home and proudly told their parents "today at the Capitol I learned about cannabis edibles!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Keystoned posted:

scrambled eggs > eggman > big-bird

Hahah! That makes total sense in my opinion

When I was a child, I thought the Simpsons were black. I'm aware that there are actual black people in Simpsons, that doesn't change anything.

Years later, I realized they were white. Now I'm assuming it was a Homer Simpson/OJ Simpson crossed wire thing but I honestly have no idea.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Eat This Glob posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

God drat it, Dominic.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Picture it, I'm shivering with fever making GBS threads myself inside out at about 4am and my daughter bursts into the bathroom

:j: Neve just called me on my phoooooone!
(She has an old corded handset as a toy)
:butt: what?
:j: A dragon just burnt her house down and set fire to her mum's car!
:j: Now she's really sad!
:butt: err, I'm not surprised? Did they call the police?
:j: Nooooo, the fire brigade silly! They put the fire out and squirted water on the dragon, now he's sorry and fixing their house but he can't hold a hammer so he had to steal your tools from our garage and now our garage is on fire!
:j: it's okay, you go to sleep and I'll make him fix that too!
:butt: okay?
:j: Yes.

She was wide awake, she just wanted to share the latest lighting storm that is her imagination.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
"I like my feet. They're so grippy!"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
One more homeschooler weed comment from lobbying in Austin:

Kid: So have *you* ever used marijuana?

Colleague: Um, yes I have. I'm not advocating that you do it or anything, but I will say the first time I ever tried it, I thought "this is what the big deal is all about? this seems pretty minor..."

Kid: So would you describe your first experience as "anticlimactic"?

Pretty good vocabulary on some of those kids, despite the fact that 12 year olds look ridiculous in suits and ties or high-heels.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Not me, but a friend of a friend teaching elementary school in Korea:

quote:

I have a bigger problem with the names that people give the kids than whether or not they give them names at all. One of my classes has 2 Milks, 1 Bread, an Onion, and 3 Dottys. I had to arbitrate when the Milks had an argument about which one was the real Milk.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Last Friday, the kids in Biology were so goofy and silly that they kept constantly interrupting me to talk about boobs. Finally, I stopped the class and told them they had ten minutes to ask me any questions about boobs they wanted, but that after ten minutes we had to go back to talking about genetics. They all went quiet and starting looking at each other, like, "You go first!"

Finally, one of the quieter girls in class stood up, banged on the desk, and said loudly, "Why the gently caress do men have nipples?!?!?!"

Her boyfriend was just :stare:

Then Rihanna answered, "BECAUSE GIRLS LOVE TO SUCK THEM!!!!"

Today, in the tenth grade ESL class, we were practicing how to give advice. As a warmup, I showed them a picture of someone in an unpleasant situation and asked them to suggest a few solutions. The first three or four pics were fairly ordinary, but finally, I showed them this to see what they'd do with it.

ME: "How can we solve his problem?"
EASON: "Change country."
ME: "Explain?"
EASON: "In his country, the fish are dangerous. So he should go somewhere else."

MOMO: "I think he should fight the fish!"

DAVID: "He should marry Lucky. Then he will be more lucky. And fish won't attack."
LUCKY: "No, thank you..."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't know if this really counts, since it's not exactly funny, but I am extremely proud of our students for the following:

Schools in China can be pretty...grungy. Our kids sleep four to a room, don't have electricity in their dorms (after a certain time of day, or perhaps all day, as I've heard different things), and both they and the teachers constantly deal with animal infestations, broken equipment, no electricity, no water, and almost constant noise. I've never been in a school here that didn't have windows that couldn't be closed, graffiti on every surface, and crappy, outdated equipment that barely ever works. Our program costs sixteen thousand dollars US per year. I once accidentally walked into a brothel in Phnom Penh and it was far lovelier and cleaner than any Chinese school I've ever been inside. Now, I don't live in Beijing or Shanghai, and I don't doubt that there are some beautiful facilities in this country, but this is not one of them.

Here is a letter my students have written to the principal and signed. They were trying to find an ink pad so they could also put their fingerprints on it, but I told them the signature was probably good enough. I am so proud of them for standing up for themselves and taking ownership for their learning environment like this. They're wealthy, spoiled children of uneducated landowners- not usually the kind of kids who stand up to the status quo or really put an extensive amount of effort into almost anything. No points for guessing who the ringleader is for this venture:

woke baes posted:

Dear [Principal]:

Currently, there is a widely-admitted high-school policy to install advanced technology to promote teaching. We strongly suggest that our international department do the same thing. Because the bad equipment influences negatively on our study and all of us complain about those things. There are some problems we encounter.

1. The shabby computers with the lowest reaction. Some of them always crash.

2. The pungent smell is filling the entire computer room.

3. The different kinds of rats droppings on the keyboard.

4. The noises made by acoustics. We can not hear the sound in the listening class.

5. The poor projector with unusual color and bad contact. We cannot see PPT in class.

6. The small white board. Almost no one can see notes written by teachers.

7. The bad insulation of sound of the classroom. We can hear the voices from senior 3.

8. The clock and the door glass are broken.

9. No windows in the classroom. It is cold outside during winter and hot outside during Summer. We always catch a cold.

10. The dark light in the classroom causes eye-problems.

11. The water leaking of the air conditioner in the classroom.

12. Rats in the classroom. Even in the office.

On the other hand, improving facilities, the school can enhance our competitiveness among so many schools in the fierce competition. Because well-equipped classrooms and beautifully decorated self-study rooms will attract more top students to this school. That is to say, no parents want that they pay high tuition but their children are treated as refugees.

We look forward to receiving your consideration and reform.

Sincerely,

[class number]

I already told them that I'll stand by them if they get in any trouble for it. Very proud right now. I am also sick of rat poo poo in the air conditioning/heating units; it's been a very cold spring trying to avoid Hantavirus.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

What, your class doesn't have a Charlie?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Shugojin posted:

What, your class doesn't have a Charlie?

Is this a Flowers for Algernon joke? if so, hahaha and also :smith: awwwww no...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nah, an It's Always Sunny joke.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That's pretty awesome, FletaMcGurn. Also very good English for high schoolers learning it as a foreign language, I'm impressed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No points for guessing who the ringleader is for this venture:

Rhianna, for all her funny, sounds absolutely like someone who would face down a tank.

Which is both admirable and a bit concerning.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

flosofl posted:

Rhianna, for all her funny, sounds absolutely like someone who would face down a tank.

Which is both admirable and a bit concerning.

I legit picture Rihanna as Tank Girl

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Last Friday, the kids in Biology were so goofy and silly that they kept constantly interrupting me to talk about boobs. Finally, I stopped the class and told them they had ten minutes to ask me any questions about boobs they wanted, but that after ten minutes we had to go back to talking about genetics. They all went quiet and starting looking at each other, like, "You go first!"

Finally, one of the quieter girls in class stood up, banged on the desk, and said loudly, "Why the gently caress do men have nipples?!?!?!"

Her boyfriend was just :stare:

Then Rihanna answered, "BECAUSE GIRLS LOVE TO SUCK THEM!!!!"

Well, men's nipples are apparently just as if not more sensitive than that of women's so...

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Intoluene posted:

Well, men's nipples are apparently just as if not more sensitive than that of women's so...

They can also be made to lactate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rihanna was one of the ringleaders in a student strike today, where they all took over the office and spent hours yelling at the principal/refusing to go back to class. There's a manifesto taped to the principal's computer and when I left they'd stolen fancy padded chairs from somewhere and replaced the lovely ones in their classroom with them.

This is unrelated to the previous manifesto and not exactly a thing someone said but since there are fans here I thought I'd update.