Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New BatB is so just painfully extraneous. Everything it adds excepting the dialog between belle and beast about books is uneeded and serves only to bog the film down. I mean, they literally blew the ending by adding new stuff that confuses the core premise of the curse the beast is under.

Also, I suddenly understand all Star Wars too much cgi bits cause uugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sorry, I didn't parse that last sentence?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Alan_Shore posted:

OK the brutal scene is when Beast dies. In this version all the servants are turned into antiques forever so you have this scene where they're all panicking as they're slowly changed in furniture. You have the loving dog crying and keeling over. You have Mrs Potts going crazy, panicking where Chip is as she dies. Cogsworth and Lumiere saying goodbye. It's incredibly emotional and, just... wow. You really have to see it to appreciate it. It's a great scene.

What :what:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It would be funnier if having failed to fulfill the requirements of the spell, all the servants turned into disembodied dicks & balls just sort of flopped all over stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Sorry, I didn't parse that last sentence?

There are many scenes where the CGI takes on an appearance of a low quality matte and several sets that are uniteresting to look at from a combination of being busy but not visually broken up enough to be visually entertaining, and multiple times where the mesh between actor on a greenscreen with with little physical props becomes distracting.

Favorite bit is since they hd to completely redub all of Lumiers lines in post he has like one line on camera after becomig human. Its found it distracting but your mileage will likely vary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait, why'd they have to re-dub in post?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Wait, why'd they have to re-dub in post?

His french accent was so bad all his lines had to be redone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

His french accent was so bad all his lines had to be redone.

By... someone else?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why did they cast Ewan McGregor if he can't do the accent properly. I mean that's sort of the thing for voice acting, it's the voice you're hiring.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I finally saw Trolls, I don't think I'm as in love with it as some people in this thread but as someone who celebrates Earth, Wind & Fire day with their friends every September 21st the way that the soundtrack mashed up relatively modern electronic dance music with groovy 70s tunes was just the best. I mean, the bridge for the big opening number is a loving Brady Bunch song, that's inspired.

Also I can't remember the last time a cartoon made me laugh as unexpectedly hard as "OH SNAP." did.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remember when Jasmine was going to get her hand chopped off for stealing food

Remember when Disney had to change the opening song to Aladdin because it was really racist

quote:

Oh, I come from a land

From a faraway place

Where the caravan camels roam.

Where they cut off your ear

If they don't like your face

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Why did they cast Ewan McGregor if he can't do the accent properly. I mean that's sort of the thing for voice acting, it's the voice you're hiring.

Pick, it's about the floating head on a poster with the wrong name over it. You know this.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I always thought it was weird that they still called it "barbaric" even in the revised lyrics.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I might watch Brother Bear tonight. I've seen it once -- on a plane in 2004.

Maybe I should follow it up with Pocahontas for a 1-2-punch of Native American cultural appropriation.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Brother Bear has more in common with Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, except without all the good parts

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

New BatB is so just painfully extraneous. Everything it adds excepting the dialog between belle and beast about books is uneeded and serves only to bog the film down. I mean, they literally blew the ending by adding new stuff that confuses the core premise of the curse the beast is under.

I agree with the extraneous comment, and that the dialogue about books was good stuff. But what do you mean about confusing the curse the beast is under?

It did seem like they were desperate to paper over any and all perceived plot holes from the original. Which is silly of course.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

someone awful. posted:

I always thought it was weird that they still called it "barbaric" even in the revised lyrics.

well given how the replacement lines are "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense" I guess it's enough of a context change that barbaric could be seen as referring to the heat :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ungulateman posted:

Brother Bear has more in common with Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, except without all the good parts

But the character design is cute :3:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always felt oddly let down by the ending to Brother Bear, even though realistically it's probably about as good an ending as the situation could've allowed for.

I don't remember much about the film otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I agree with the extraneous comment, and that the dialogue about books was good stuff. But what do you mean about confusing the curse the beast is under?

It did seem like they were desperate to paper over any and all perceived plot holes from the original. Which is silly of course.

The opening was honestly dull because, frankly, we dont really need that information and we certainly dont need a voice over narration stating literally what we are seeing. Later, the fulm had to segue into Belles backstory which added nothing and more details on the beasts backstory which also added nothing and sort of muddled the point of Beasts character.

The undermining bit is the enchantress (was it the same one or a different one not sure) showing at the end to undo the curse makes it so that true love isnt what undoes the curse but an enchantress deciding to undo it. They may have had love before but enchantress wasnt around so doesnt count, any development of their relationship showing difficulties to achieving what real mutual love is should be ignored children unless a third party arbiter agrees its enough

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

The opening was honestly dull because, frankly, we dont really need that information and we certainly dont need a voice over narration stating literally what we are seeing. Later, the fulm had to segue into Belles backstory which added nothing and more details on the beasts backstory which also added nothing and sort of muddled the point of Beasts character.

The undermining bit is the enchantress (was it the same one or a different one not sure) showing at the end to undo the curse makes it so that true love isnt what undoes the curse but an enchantress deciding to undo it. They may have had love before but enchantress wasnt around so doesnt count, any development of their relationship showing difficulties to achieving what real mutual love is should be ignored children unless a third party arbiter agrees its enough

You know what, yeah you're right. The enchantress added nothing and muddies the ending. Was she just chilling in the woods until he broke the spell? Like she had nothing better to do?

The ballroom scene at the beginning added nothing. "The beast is a dick cos daddy didn't love him!" added nothing. What happened to Belle's mother? added nothing. Who cares about the magic mirror when you have a loving HOLODECK. What the hell was the point of that? Just trying to add some depth to the Belle/dad relationship which essentially boils down to "I'm overprotective because your mom died."

Also I guess they thought my main man Gaston wasn't evil enough before so now he has to try to murder an old man.

It's a weird film cos they do some stuff right, and I like Belle and the beast's blossoming romance. They should have made him more beastly at the beginning though. When you meet him at the beginning he's a bit of a bitch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah what they do to Gaston in this is weird because they go too far in making him evil, a soldier, and LeFou so responsible for his image that hes not a good counterweight to beast. His character is so out of whack with the story structure edits they made youre not even sure why he gives enough of a poo poo to storm the beasts castle much less rile up the townsfolk other than "the plot demands it".

Also, do not foreshadow an obvious ending for Gaston involving the enchantress that would at least be thematic, then instead let that entire obvious and satisfying idea completely poof into nothingness and instead have him die because the castle falls apart under him due to lucky chance and literally nothing anyone does.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gaston's daily breakfast has 5400 kcal, 300 grams of fat and 16200 mg of cholesterol (54 times the daily recommended amount)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Animators, man..

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Gaston's daily breakfast has 5400 kcal, 300 grams of fat and 16200 mg of cholesterol (54 times the daily recommended amount)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Daddy! :kimchi:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah what they do to Gaston in this is weird because they go too far in making him evil, a soldier, and LeFou so responsible for his image that hes not a good counterweight to beast. His character is so out of whack with the story structure edits they made youre not even sure why he gives enough of a poo poo to storm the beasts castle much less rile up the townsfolk other than "the plot demands it".

Also, do not foreshadow an obvious ending for Gaston involving the enchantress that would at least be thematic, then instead let that entire obvious and satisfying idea completely poof into nothingness and instead have him die because the castle falls apart under him due to lucky chance and literally nothing anyone does.

Absolutely! He falls off a bridge, really? That's it? That's the best we could come up with? He does that thing of "woah, stuff is shaking, let's stay here and see what happens" instead of just jumping to the safety of the tower a few feet away.

Sheer luck killed Gaston. Bad writing.
In the original Gaston's beastly nature gets him killed when he plunges a knife into the back of a peaceful creature. Good writing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hed...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So anyway, new B&TB comes out same day as new Mass Effect here. Where do I go first for my fix of uncanny valley animation and questionable voice acting? The choice is so tough..

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ahaha this thread needs to put all of its Best Ofs into a museum

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

ahaha this thread needs to put all of its Best Ofs into a museum

well it's not mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorRRynELuY&t=13s

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Teaser trailer for the next film by the national treasures that are Aardman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNxWO_t2qM

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

He really isn't that gay! It's nuts how that's been blown up by people.

OK the brutal scene is when Beast dies. In this version all the servants are turned into antiques forever so you have this scene where they're all panicking as they're slowly changed in furniture. You have the loving dog crying and keeling over. You have Mrs Potts going crazy, panicking where Chip is as she dies. Cogsworth and Lumiere saying goodbye. It's incredibly emotional and, just... wow. You really have to see it to appreciate it. It's a great scene.

That sounds incredibly dumb.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am a wretched swine. i am nothing but a knave

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Gerard Depardieu?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Apes-Ma posted:

Gerard Depardieu?

No one moves to Russia to avoid paying back taxes like Gaston!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pablo Bluth posted:

Teaser trailer for the next film by the national treasures that are Aardman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNxWO_t2qM

Mehhhhhh

After Arthur Christmas I find their old style really off-putting.

Edit: or maybe it's Nick Park's style? IDK. I've never really been a huge Wallace and Gromit or Chicken Run fan. Flushed Away was alright.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 17, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alan_Shore posted:

Should have just opened with this.

quote:

Children believe what we tell them. They have complete faith in us. They believe that a rose plucked from a garden can plunge a family into conflict. They believe that the hands of a human beast will smoke when he slays a victim, and that this will cause him shame when a young maiden takes up residence in his home. They believe a thousand other simple things.

I ask of you a little of this childlike sympathy and, to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words, childhood’s ”Open Sesame”:

Once upon a time…

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The animation in Brother Bear is really good EXCEPT they try to do a shaky cam thing during some of the action scenes and it really doesnt work in cartoons D:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That sounds incredibly dumb.

You're wrong. How does that feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i am a wretched swine. i am nothing but a knave

I think you're alright