Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

I had a high quality Viper Strike drop and was thinking about making a build with it using two of the new threshold jewels, but I can't find a single decent build for 2.5 / 2.6. I'm poo poo at theory crafting but figured I'd give it a go anyway. I figure Slayer for the splash, and Viper Strike - Faster Attacks - Melee Phys - Added Chaos - Void Manip - Rapid Decay. Multistrike would get me more poison stacks more quickly but each stack would be smaller, right? Would Multistrike reduce the Added Chaos damage too, or just the physical portion? If just the physical, then it might be worth subbing it in and dropping Melee Phys I'm thinking.

Do not use Rapid Decay unless you have increased skill duration nodes on the tree, which I don't recommend getting either. Multistrike will be better than Rapid Decay and Faster Attacks, and if you don't go Slayer than Melee Splash is required. You can also only have one of the threshold jewel, but it's a real doozy now that it's buffed. Edge of Madness is a decent choice and I'd say stick with it unless you eventually get a Starforge. Remember that Wither Totems double dip.

regulargonzalez posted:

Also, Starforge has poo poo for crit. Shouldn't I focus on that to get maximum value from my free poison? Or if not, then really fast attack speed? Starforge fails on both. Sure the hits will be big but poison only gives you 8% of your combined phys and chaos damage per my understanding. You want a lot of stacks, especially given how the threshold jewel works.

8% of attack damage per second for 8 seconds (duration without temporal chains) is 64%. You're dealing just under 290% of your base attack damage in a single hit with Viper Strike, before taking in to account that all that damage over time, which accounts for 110% of that damage, double dips on every single chaos damage increase you can get, including Wither Totem's debuff. You don't need high attack speed for anything besides proccing Unholy Might more consistently from Growing Agony, and high crit is useful but investing in it honestly hurts your clear speed more than it helps unless you reach a high threshold as it's competing with increased chaos or physical damage, and you want consistent damage against packs and VS is ridiculous against bosses either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

I already called you out, you can stop pretending.

On what

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Jesus both of you please shut up.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
It's already done, one of the few I've decided to put on ignore.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Audax posted:

I made a witch because it seemed like the best character to make a D2-ish summonmancer. I am currently lvl 38 with 14 points free to spend because I have no further clue as what to get in my passives
This is my to-date skill path which is probably a lovely one to go down. For some reason I thought I had to get the full circle because it looked like a good thing?

Anyways - are summon characters viable? Should I just stop now while I'm ahead - I'm not against it, this was 2-3 nights of work.

I have been following this and its been pretty fun. I think it will end up along the same lines as what queeb posted here

Its pretty fun, and my only deaths have been because I got too cocky and stood in stupid places and didnt pay attention to health levels.

edit : You dont have to get the full circle of skill points, and if you are going a summoner I dont see much point in getting +spell damage nodes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Had my first try at Hall of Grandmasters ever earlier, it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Managed to clear three wings and got 6 Shaped Strands from it (though zero other things of value) so worth it. Fourth wing had scoli_gubben who one-shot my guy and his movement skill cast faster than mine too so no chances there. Certainly couldn't imagine trying that map on Hardcore.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
To the guy pondering gear for scorching ray/frostbolt ignite, you might consider a malachai's artifice. 2.6 made it a lot better. It basically lets you turn arc or orb of storms into a -38 resist curse that is 100% effective against bosses. It's what cracked shaper for me on my emberwake magma orb build.

edit: On that topic, if you're looking for single big ignites from a spell that can also clear packs decently, orb definitely has lower base damage but it can use both projectile and aoe mods which double dip on burn damage and wouldn't require you to chase cold+fire. Obviously fireball does this too but magma orb has an extremely good threshold jewel now and it's way easier to hit things with since it bounces and does ground aoe.

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 17, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Insurrectionist posted:

Had my first try at Hall of Grandmasters ever earlier, it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Managed to clear three wings and got 6 Shaped Strands from it (though zero other things of value) so worth it. Fourth wing had scoli_gubben who one-shot my guy and his movement skill cast faster than mine too so no chances there. Certainly couldn't imagine trying that map on Hardcore.

yeah, it's basically a gamble if you get danziig or not, and then you die (because he is allowed to abuse a skill that is nerfed for us! :argh:)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fyndel and voc talked on a podcast about how they're above 4 mirrors in legacy league

spoilers: they used private indexers from day 1, played 24/7, first uber atziri axe drop which funded them buying up all the cheap chayula breachstones before people realized they were busted

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

fyndel and voc talked on a podcast about how they're above 4 mirrors in legacy league

spoilers: they used private indexers from day 1, played 24/7, first uber atziri axe drop which funded them buying up all the cheap chayula breachstones before people realized they were busted

Are there Poe podcasts worth listening to? If so what are they called so I can make my work commute less brutal

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MannersPlease posted:

I gave items to funman on std once and he gave me a free perandus manor clear in temp league. Little he know he was secretly helping me break ToS.

Please ban me GGG.

--------------------------

'GGG has the right to' does not equal 'GGG is right to'

Thankfully we have many people in this world who will gladly argue 'has the right' ad infinitum while wording or implying "is right", as if they are remotely close to being one and the same, because we definitely need that drama in our lives, let alone our video games.

you can do w/e you want off stream and not have anything happen (generally) but on stream is a different animal. There was a streamer who had 12345 type out real quick when he was chatting with someone in poe chat and he got banned because it was clear he was using a flask macro.

Also lol if you think he shouldn't be banned. IT doesn't matter if it was a joke. It will set the precedence that you can just claim "joke bro!" when you do dumb poo poo like this. And there's nothing to say he didn't give the guy money on the side besides "mr general wouldn't do that guys!!!"

BRB starting up a streamer persona that i joke all the time so I can get away with my rmt.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

It's already done, one of the few I've decided to put on ignore.

lol at announcing you put people on ignore

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeninVS posted:

Are there Poe podcasts worth listening to? If so what are they called so I can make my work commute less brutal

no

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I'm surprised in TYOOL 2017 someone doesn't think to themselves. "Hmm I got whispers instantly after putting this item up maybe I should double check". Also what was busted about the breachstones?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

In conclusion; the rich get richer. Thanks Trump

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

They weren't rich at the start??? They are getting rich because they have tools people don't have and knowledge people don't have and the time people don't have. Hate the game not the playa. they are basically dudes on wallstreet playing the stock market while you and I are the guy at home using a lovely website or playing the penny stocks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Maybe you should have considered playing for 16 hours every day for the past 10 days like an insane person. Sad!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I sold something for 2 chaos once.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Also what was busted about the breachstones?

if you get a breachstone with "will have a chayula breach" on it and throw it into a high level map like say, vaal temple like this guy did, you get ~70-75 splinters total (over all 5 uses)

they were selling for like 10c or less

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

personally i just hope general tso stays banned, that retard doesn't need a free headhunter and skyforth and 900 6l es chest etc because some sperglord likes him

besides he almost 100% RMT'd that out of game LOL

being a streamer is the perfect front for RMT, pay out of game, they say "hi im a big fan heres free gear!"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think tso is funny :shobon:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I made some custom versions of greengroove's filters:

http://filterblast.oversoul.xyz/advanced/Greengroove/cvgb0a - Normal Endgame
http://filterblast.oversoul.xyz/advanced/Greengroove/eeptv6 - Semi-strict
http://filterblast.oversoul.xyz/advanced/Greengroove/1l1kag8 - Super-strict

They should all be fairly easy to edit if you want to change some smaller settings.

E: Fixed stacked deck highlight

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 17, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I'm surprised in TYOOL 2017 someone doesn't think to themselves. "Hmm I got whispers instantly after putting this item up maybe I should double check". Also what was busted about the breachstones?

Sometimes I list an item for far less than it's worth just to ignore everyone who whispers me before it appears on the poe.trade index.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

What should I do with a ilvl 27 Kaom's Heart?

Hit a run of three consecutive Kaom's Strongboxes in Act 3 Normal last night.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
vaal it

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

you can do w/e you want off stream and not have anything happen (generally) but on stream is a different animal. There was a streamer who had 12345 type out real quick when he was chatting with someone in poe chat and he got banned because it was clear he was using a flask macro.

Also lol if you think he shouldn't be banned. IT doesn't matter if it was a joke. It will set the precedence that you can just claim "joke bro!" when you do dumb poo poo like this. And there's nothing to say he didn't give the guy money on the side besides "mr general wouldn't do that guys!!!"

BRB starting up a streamer persona that i joke all the time so I can get away with my rmt.

So, first you say if you don't stream you can get away with rmt or whatever other ToS violation, then you conclude by saying that you are going to start streaming in order to get away with rmt and whatever other ToS violation.

And in the middle you throw in some random vague arguments about slippery slope and hearsay for who knows what reason.

Yep I'm totally convinced.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Sometimes I list an item for far less than it's worth just to ignore everyone who whispers me before it appears on the poe.trade index.

tell them its sold so they freak out thinking someone else has a better index then them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bottom line is general fuckface decided to waste GGG customer support's time because he thought he was loving hilarious. If he had half a braincell he wouldnt do that. Especially when 1) he already has a temp ban on his account, and 2) he knows people have been banned for cross league trading before.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

tell them its sold so they freak out thinking someone else has a better index then them.

in that podcast the two spergs talk about how they saw people using brazilian government servers to run near realtime scrapes of the poe api and they managed to make a system similar to that

can you imagine how degenerate you have to be to even think of something like that lmao

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Holyshoot posted:

lol at announcing you put people on ignore

I'm glad something good came out of it

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

in that podcast the two spergs talk about how they saw people using brazilian government servers to run near realtime scrapes of the poe api and they managed to make a system similar to that

can you imagine how degenerate you have to be to even think of something like that lmao

Even in a goddamn ARPG our Country somehow manages to corrupt the economy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jesus, if they aren't doing some sort of RMT on the side they are legit retarded. Use that huge effort towards something more productive. Because in 20 years when this game is dead and gone what will they have to show for it? Nothing.

J
Jun 10, 2001

TheRat posted:

Bottom line is general fuckface decided to waste GGG customer support's time because he thought he was loving hilarious. If he had half a braincell he wouldnt do that. Especially when 1) he already has a temp ban on his account, and 2) he knows people have been banned for cross league trading before.

but... chatlogs man!!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think tso is funny :shobon:
Goatse, you were meant to be a voice of reason. :(

E:

Holyshoot posted:

Jesus, if they aren't doing some sort of RMT on the side they are legit retarded. Use that huge effort towards something more productive. Because in 20 years when this game is dead and gone what will they have to show for it? Nothing.
In all fairness, though, it takes a freshman computer science major an evening to make a public scraper, and just a wee bit of dollars to get that poo poo chugging on AWS ECS.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 17, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the whole system needs to be leveled

why GGG doesnt provide their own parser and privatize their api I have no idea

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is it even accurate to call it "scraping"? Doesn't path of exile have a 'firehose' endpoint that constantly spews new item json blobs?

Olesh posted:

Lots of small improvements, like the Vaal auras, turns out to be tremendous QoL buffs.
Been running these the past couple nights. Vaal Clarity fooled me into thinking I could have 100% uptime across all of them, but the other two are going to be a lot more situational.

I'm 1 or 2 levels away from the switch to Blood Magic. Still apprehensive about it, my last BM character was some kind of archer and I remember a lot of stupid deaths.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the whole system needs to be leveled

why GGG doesnt provide their own parser and privatize their api I have no idea
If nothing changes with 3.0, that'll may be a reasonable question to ask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

Is it even accurate to call it "scraping"? Doesn't path of exile have a 'firehose' endpoint that constantly spews new item json blobs?
Yeah, you hardly scrape anything there, it's a stream of a few gigabytes of JSON blobs on hourly basis, with no historical data of any sort.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

JawnV6 posted:

Been running these the past couple nights. Vaal Clarity fooled me into thinking I could have 100% uptime across all of them, but the other two are going to be a lot more situational.

I'm 1 or 2 levels away from the switch to Blood Magic. Still apprehensive about it, my last BM character was some kind of archer and I remember a lot of stupid deaths.

I've had some runs where I kept Vaal Haste running for most of the map, but you really want to treat them as something like a panic button - when something dangerous shows up, pop them both. Vaal Discipline keeps you alive in situations where you aren't avoiding damage for your native ES regen to kick in. Vaal Haste kills things faster so that the enemy dies before Vaal Discipline runs out. I basically never pop just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
lol at people who dont think General Tso actually RMTs. lol if you actually try to debate Manners about anything.

• Locked thread