Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Pash posted:

Out of curiosity what dollar amount is the free shipping barrier at?

One hundred Britland Pounds of Silver.

wdarkk posted:

I'd be down for one. How are we planning on handling this?

You tell me how many of the web exclusives you want, via PM or here. Sometime, probably tomorrow, I will put the order in (Provided that they are willing to cancel the previous order I put in earlier today.) When they finally get to me in mid-april or whatever, I will hit you all up for the cost+shipping from me at NYC 11238 and ship them to you directly. If they are fully resin and not hybrid like the BCs then it should be very inexpensive, sent in a padded envelope.

TOP OF PAGE EDIT:
A Pic of the Saratoga!

ZachAttack fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It is kind of funny that the Saratoga looks like it will be battlecruiser-sized, what wth that large prow extension. It's shorter in the back because it has a light cruiser set of wings, but still.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was surprised to learn it was a light cruiser. I thought with a gun like that it would be the "production" Avalon model.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Batch painting:

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
:siren: Last call for the Official US Goon Saratoga group buy. :siren:

So far Ive got:
Arcturas
darnon
wdarkk

Anyone else interested?

ZachAttack posted:

You tell me how many of the web exclusives you want, via PM or here. Sometime, probably tomorrow, I will put the order in (Provided that they are willing to cancel the previous order I put in earlier today.) When they finally get to me in mid-april or whatever, I will hit you all up for the cost+shipping from me at NYC 11238 and ship them to you directly. If they are fully resin and not hybrid like the BCs then it should be very inexpensive, sent in a padded envelope.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ZachAttack posted:

:siren: Last call for the Official US Goon Saratoga group buy. :siren:

So far Ive got:
Arcturas
darnon
wdarkk

Anyone else interested?

I'm in for 2.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Pash posted:

I'm in for 2.

Excellent, I'll put the order in this evening. Since you don't have PMs would you shoot me an email so I have your contact info: REDACTED?

EDIT:The order has been made, someone at Hawk must think I am obsessed with light cruisers.

ZachAttack fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 19, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I copied what a guy on facebook did on the Heracles. I added Perseus heavy cannons to the hull using a 5mm drill bit.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 18, 2017

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Funky. :)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

ZachAttack posted:

Excellent, I'll put the order in this evening. Since you don't have PMs would you shoot me an email so I have your contact info: zpettic atthegloriousemaildomainof gmail kimdotcom?

EDIT:The order has been made, someone at Hawk must think I am obsessed with light cruisers.

Just sent you an email.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
...and of course Hawk waits until a few days after to open up the corvettes for sale as well.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

darnon posted:

...and of course Hawk waits until a few days after to open up the corvettes for sale as well.

Ha. Guess I'll just use the proxies I have for a bit and/or order some via my FLGS.

Also the next errata is open for preview testing here. I'm not sure what I think about the optional "fast" ground rules. Are the little tank fights really so time-consuming?

Everything else seems entirely reasonable, and I'm mainly annoyed at the things that are not in it, like a fix for sitting still inside debris fields.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The best thing about the talon section of the forums is my posting hope this helps

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those suggested rules updates are crazy for PHR. So excited!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How are sectors with bonus effects supposed to work in the new ground rules? Maybe I'm reading them wrong, but it seems like you never get into ground fights & just count tokens for VP purposes. But if you do that, who gets control of the military sectors' guns, or the orbital defense guns & such. Do you just use a simplified version of control for those as well? (most points in tokens gets to shoot the gun that turn?)

Also, where can I get command cards for dropfleet? I don't see them on the Hawk website for order, and it'd be nice for my admiral to actually matter now that we can get free upgraded ones.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Also, where can I get command cards for dropfleet? I don't see them on the Hawk website for order, and it'd be nice for my admiral to actually matter now that we can get free upgraded ones.

You can't yet, they're still in beta.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

Ha. Guess I'll just use the proxies I have for a bit and/or order some via my FLGS.

Also the next errata is open for preview testing here. I'm not sure what I think about the optional "fast" ground rules. Are the little tank fights really so time-consuming?

Everything else seems entirely reasonable, and I'm mainly annoyed at the things that are not in it, like a fix for sitting still inside debris fields.

Apparently every game in every tournament is running out of time at the moment.

Also, some people don't like the 'time compression' of entire ground battles happening in the time it takes a ship to reload.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those people are massive spergs but these are good changes

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like that there was a video that came from a tournament that the Hawk guys participated within the last few weeks. They talked about how they were going to look into some possible tweaks. They actually did it!

I like the linked rules for PHR, since it was odd that the only way to Broadside was to use Weapons Free.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I find the linking rules kinda weird as printed. Some ship link all one side, others one weapon system on both sides. It felt like these were misprints because they didn't feel consistent.

Interesting that heavy calibre will now crit on +1 rather than +2. Seems like a nice bump.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Launch 7 new York is legit

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Launch 7 new York is legit

That was my favorite change.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
What is it PHR players complain about? Better Hull, Better Armor, better Launch assets, huge banks of dice, Better guns on the battleships... I mean honestly speaking I win most of our games, though barely, but each game feels like a slog to even scratch the paint, until I can get some of my larger ships (Moscow or Atlantis) into a good position to weapons-free so I can start matching the dice pools. The two tricks I've got are groups of New Cairos and groups of Tai Peis, the former is now hilariously countered by fewer calypsos than before, and the latter can get a really nice single turn before evaporating.

Apologies for the salt, and I'm sure I just need to play better, but it's incredibly frustrating to go up against PHR and hear them moaning about not being good enough, when my stuff just falls apart when they look at it, and I struggle to even take out their strike cruisers before they can sit in atmo and laugh at everything except my corvettes, which (surprise) are not as good as theirs. Maybe it's a sign of good balance that every game feels like I've lost from the first volley but still scratch by in points at the end?

So long story short, PHR getting all these buffs for testing is mystifying to me. It seems that a player who knows how to maneuver isn't really as hampered by the broadsides restrictions as you'd think?

The New York buff is great (and bump up the Atlantis to 5 F&B while we're here) and I like the St Petersburg buff too. I just don't know how I'm going to even begin to compete now that my opponent's stuff is even better.

tl;dr I am so whiny about toy spaceships that I am embarrassing myself

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Phr players have always been the special snowflake crybaby faction so nothing new

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
UCM is pretty sweet though, I love my little Osakas and New Cairos. I wish we could have another light cruiser that just had like, the shoulder turrets and launch 2 or something.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Phr players have always been the special snowflake crybaby faction so nothing new

It's because we are very special snowflakes.

I think the heavy calibre buff is because ppl seem to consider it a sub par weapon system compared to just rolling more dice with medium calibre.

The ship's that are built around them were therefore being dubbed not worth taking so this is about making them relevant. I was going to build an Achilles regardless so I'm a happy special snowflake.

I guess it's less 'wahhh! My faction sucks!' than 'why would I ever use X when I could just take Y?'.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I don't play PHR yet, but from what I understand the problem wasn't "PHR is bad" but "PHR internal balance is bad" and people were relying on "as many Bellerophons as I can take" and some other things.

Speaking of PHR, I'm thinking of going double troopship for 999 points. Should I build one of each?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I am planning on one of each because I like variety. Personally I see troopships as good value for points given the firepower they can bring along with the bulk landers.

You just need to try and keep them alive, which is where Calypso's come in I think.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I don't play PHR yet, but from what I understand the problem wasn't "PHR is bad" but "PHR internal balance is bad" and people were relying on "as many Bellerophons as I can take" and some other things.

Speaking of PHR, I'm thinking of going double troopship for 999 points. Should I build one of each?

Ya I think this is it. Its basically, why would I take heavy caliber guns when medium will do as much damage on average and have a chance to spike way higher? Why would I take things with light caliber other than the troopship when the troopships have the same armament, and drop troops, for a tiny bit more in price than the other options. Why would I drop anything other than bellephons when their front guns are as good as USM burn through's and they have the best bombers in the game?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Which is probably why people have such conflicting opinions about PHR as a faction. The people playing to meta are rolling deep on the good hulls and ignoring the rest, while other players are probably filling out on the sub optimal hulls.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

In thinking about the new experimental rules, aren't they also a soft nerf to bombardment? You can't bombard if both of you have troops on a location, and now if both of you have troops on a sector that'll never get cleared out. So if my enemy just starts landing troops on top of mine, I can't bombard those to clean them up. In the old system if they did that but I had numerical superiority I'd probably kill their troops.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I believe the eventual intent is that troops will eventually remove each other on point-by point basis.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That would make an awful lot of sense.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That's an idea that in the progress of being hashed out by talons at the moment, not taken up by Hawk yet.

Regarding bombardment: i think lowest ini moving first, not being allowed to move away from enemies and not being able to bombard sectors with friendlies combine to hinder bombardment. "No fighting, period" only makes it worse. I've been trying to lobby for some tweaks since ideally i'd like to see ground forces and bombardment working together instead of deciding at the beginning to take a city or to flatten it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

LazyAngel posted:

I believe the eventual intent is that troops will eventually remove each other on point-by point basis.

So if I had 2 infantry on a sector and you bulk land 3, we would remove two each (who are assumed to be engaged and countering each other out) leaving the net 1 of your infantry that I could then bombard?

How would we determine the value and difference between infantry and armour? Remove two infantry for each opposing armour tokens?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Generally I like the idea of just having ground tokens cancel each other out. I get that Hawk was going for something a little more granular with ground combat & movement, to add another strategic layer to the game in moving ground troops, using strike carriers to clear locations and then bulking in with infantry, etc, but I think it just bogs everything down because the best part of the game is moving spaceships around and saying "PEW PEW."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Oath Complete

The BCs came out a bit shinier than I intended since I had a brand-new can of glosscote rather than a nearly-depleted one, but it's not really a problem.

Since you can build two different BCs and I can't buy any more of the model since it's Kickstarter exclusive, I magnetized them.

Claiming the scratchbuild for these corvette proxies.

Close up of the launch asset tokens.

This is a pic of the current state of my fleet, at the present 1250 point tournament standard. It's exactly the same as the second-place LVO Scourge list, but I was already thinking of going in that direction.

Crossposting here from the Oath thread. Next month, stations and PHR.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Those look really nice. Well done!

Are the LVO lists posted somewhere?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Those look really nice. Well done!

Are the LVO lists posted somewhere?

Not all of them, but the top four or so are here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

For anyone still missing stuff from wave 1 of the kickstarter, my dogtag and UCM Credit randomly appeared today.

Maybe, just maybe, we are getting close to wave 2....