Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jedit posted:

Time for a goonmeet again?

I think the last time I went to a goonmeet was like 10 years ago!

Edit: 52%. The proportion of the UK that voted for utter chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I think that's true as my posts above allude to,however I'm not sure it will be seen like that. Campaigners would do well to jump on it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://www.facebook.com/BBCQuestionTime/videos/1249258775087845/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Funny how some things never change.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Politicians having a go at politicians from other parties? You're right it's nothing new.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yeah, even as recently as last year zoomers were loving idiots.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm officially moving back to Edinburgh in 4 weeks time :toot:

Good choice, I've lived here the last 19 years and it's still the best city in Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aramoro posted:

Good choice, I've lived here the last 19 years and it's still the best city in Scotland.

All joking about the rivalry aside, Edinburgh is nice. I haven't been much in the last...well, ever I guess, but it's a fine city. However. Best in Scotland is a bold proclamation. How is August for a resident of Edinburgh? July 12th in Glasgow was always loving horrendous and made me feel absolutely terrible about the city, the country & humanity in general, but at least that's only one weekend. But having visited Edinburgh in August for a day or two to see some shows, I can't really imagine what it must be like to have to put up with for the entire month.

Granted, some of my attitudes towards the friendliness of people in Glasgow vs Edinburgh is down to one bad experience a gig in Edinburgh where some bellend assaulted me & completely put me off gigs for years, as opposed to going to upwards of a hundred in Glasgow and never having a problem. And that guy probably wasn't even from Edinburgh but there you go, you remember certain things & they leave an impression.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I've only ever been started on twice, both times in Edinburgh.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Coohoolin posted:

I never got started on in the previous 10 years I lived in Edinburgh so I can only assume it's something about you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I never got started on in the previous 10 years I lived in Edinburgh so I can only assume it's something about you.

I'm really tall, that upsets some people.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

All joking about the rivalry aside, Edinburgh is nice. I haven't been much in the last...well, ever I guess, but it's a fine city. However. Best in Scotland is a bold proclamation. How is August for a resident of Edinburgh? July 12th in Glasgow was always loving horrendous and made me feel absolutely terrible about the city, the country & humanity in general, but at least that's only one weekend. But having visited Edinburgh in August for a day or two to see some shows, I can't really imagine what it must be like to have to put up with for the entire month.

It's novel enough for me that I still enjoy Festival time. New Year's time too.
Maybe in five years time I'll get old and grumpy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Like I say, best city in Scotland

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It's fine really, people make a big deal about it but it's not that bad. Town is busy but there's load of shows on you can go to which is good. Comparing it to the 12th isn't really fair as we fill the city with tourists, not just let all the resident shitheads parade around.

It's pretty much a question of attitude I think, as soon as you think about 'putting up' with it you're going to have a miserable time. If you think about it from the perspective of what you can do it's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Like I say, best city in Scotland

Only twice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I'm really tall, that upsets some people.

lol yeah that's definitely the reason.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

I can't really imagine what it must be like to have to put up with for the entire month.

I lived on Drummond Street for 5 years. The festival was an absolute loving nightmare.

August was always a very misanthropic month.

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 17, 2017

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

As aramoro said, it's nothing at all like the 12th. The festival is basically a month long party: the atmosphere is amazing, all joyous and friendly and exciting and inclusive and with something for everyone. The 12th is very much not inclusive or friendly.

Literally the only bad aspect for a resident is things are a bit noiser if you live on major thoroughfare and that the couple of square miles from the uni to Prince's street is much busier than normal so it might take slightly longer than usual to get to work. But given how compact the city centre is, it's really not much of an issue. I used to work in an office on easter road, and walked there everyday from marchmont, so had to pass right through the thick of it, and it was never more than a mild inconvenience.

Plus, if you can't find something that appeals to you in the biggest arts festival in the world, maybe it's time to reflect on being a tremendously dull person who should get out more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

It's fine really, people make a big deal about it but it's not that bad. Town is busy but there's load of shows on you can go to which is good. Comparing it to the 12th isn't really fair as we fill the city with tourists, not just let all the resident shitheads parade around.

I can assure you, having lived in the Ibrox area, we got lots of tourists. They came from Kilmarnock, Ayr, Irvine, Belfast, Derry, all over! Nah, I get they aren't comparable, I was just struggling to think of something else which saw the sheer weight of numbers. When the Pope came to Bellahouston Park I guess was the other one, but living right across the road from the Govan Orange Lodge, those fannies were just much more in my mind than anything else.

Niric posted:

Plus, if you can't find something that appeals to you in the biggest arts festival in the world, maybe it's time to reflect on being a tremendously dull person who should get out more.

It just seemed from my visits in the past, the sort of thing that's nice to dip into, but by the 4th week I'd probably start going slightly mad But I'm also inclined to misanthropy so...too many people is all.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

It just seemed from my visits in the past, the sort of thing that's nice to dip into, but by the 4th week I'd probably start going slightly mad But I'm also inclined to misanthropy so...too many people is all.

It is a bit like that, payday also can't come soon enough.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I do have my moments of getting cranky during August at the sheer number of red trouser wankers and loud English drama students everywhere who think everyone has come up from London especially, and because buses that go via the town centre take forever, but overall I adore it to pieces and have only missed I think 2 years out of the last 15. It is a lot better if you don't stay in the middle though - crispix had probably about the worst place to live, though I'd bet Autonomous Monster is going to get no sleep this August with his new place. Even the year I was most central (Bruntsfield) was fine because it wasn't right in that middle section around the uni and the mound. This year I'm either going to have to get a season ticket on the train or drive in to somewhere like Corstorphine and bus it from there. Probably the latter, since I've had the unpleasant experience recently of having to run for the last train out of Waverley and the resultant asthma attack :( But yeah, the Fringe absolutely rules.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

In Sturgeon's speech today she offered an "open invitation" for anyone in the rest of the UK "if you are as appalled as we are at the path this Westminster government is taking, come and join us".
are there any thread regulars, perhaps living in England and pissed off about Hard Brexit, who might consider this? it would seem to be taking a big gamble with the course of your life.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol leaving England to pursue work or academic interests is not taking a big gamble with your life.

Hundreds of thousands of people do it every year.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's not really a gamble is it. You don't forfeit UK citizenship or something if you moved to Glasgow for a few years. If Scotland goes independent and it doesn't work for you, just drive back down the M8.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
If anyone wants to come up to Aberdeen I'll be happy to help get you settled.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

In Sturgeon's speech today she offered an "open invitation" for anyone in the rest of the UK "if you are as appalled as we are at the path this Westminster government is taking, come and join us".
are there any thread regulars, perhaps living in England and pissed off about Hard Brexit, who might consider this? it would seem to be taking a big gamble with the course of your life.

You'd probably get more answers if you ask in UKMT. Unless you expect Pissflaps to move his family to Bonar Bridge or Achiltibuie or perhaps all the way up to the Orkney Islands to live in Twatt.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
He could get tae Falkirk.
Less travel involved.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

You'd probably get more answers if you ask in UKMT. Unless you expect Pissflaps to move his family to Bonar Bridge or Achiltibuie or perhaps all the way up to the Orkney Islands to live in Twatt.

I'm going to move to the Orkney Islands, put on an outrageously accurate accent then agitate for independence from Scotland.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you had a campaign to bring back the St. Ola you might win the Orcadian jarldom after independence.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going to move to the Orkney Islands, put on an outrageously accurate accent then agitate for independence from Scotland.

I choose to take you literally, your membership card is in the post.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

immigrants and new residents definitely deserve to be part of the political process so this is a good plan and i approve! :) i hope you enjoy your time participating in civic life in your new home :)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Good luck to Pissflaps and his glorious bid for freedom from Scottish oppression.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Coohoolin posted:

Why would you do that to anyone?

Seriously am considering moving back to Stirling, because I cannot get enough of American tourists who gawp at Wallaces huge erection.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

jBrereton posted:

If you had a campaign to bring back the St. Ola you might win the Orcadian jarldom after independence.

*Raised eyebrows in Shetland, Caithness and Sutherland*
*Pricking of ears in Norway*

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Coohoolin posted:

Exactly what sort of help are you offering to people thinking of moving to Aberdeen?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I would like to hear your Orcadian accent. And good luck with your efforts for Orkney independence. Will it be with Shetland? Unification with Norway? Or just Orkney on it's tod, getting fat off fish stocks & what's left of the oil?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cerv posted:

I was already planning on looking for a postdoc in somewhere like Edinburgh anyway, so absolutely yes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I would like to hear your Orcadian accent. And good luck with your efforts for Orkney independence. Will it be with Shetland? Unification with Norway? Or just Orkney on it's tod, getting fat off fish stocks & what's left of the oil?

I'll be offering a range of options designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

Exactly what sort of help are you offering to people thinking of moving to Aberdeen?

A pint, probably.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/843261614136659969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

JFairfax posted:

lol leaving England to pursue work or academic interests is not taking a big gamble with your life.

Hundreds of thousands of people do it every year.

The gamble is doing it specifically to be in an EU member independent state. Most likely you'll end up in neither.
Hundreds of thousands aren't doing that. It wasn't even a thing a year ago.

And yes I did mean to post that in the UK thread. Oops