Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I've been watching Angie Tribeca and one episode had a sushi chef named Kobauashi Maru. I kept expecting for George Takei to show up but he never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, gee, look who's asking for money again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4173MUhdUk

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Orv posted:

It is. Dramatis Personae is also in season 1, which is an episode I really like, but that's because I like Trek actors playing other characters episodes rather than it being genuinely good.
IT'S A CLOCK! :q:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Oh, gee, look who's asking for money again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4173MUhdUk

The gift that keeps on giving :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The gift that keeps on giving :allears:

It's just so delightfully brazen. Part of the lawsuit settlement was that Peters agreed not to do crowdfunding for the two Axanar short films. But by their own admission, they're out of money (where'd that $1.4 million go? Hmmm...), so what do they do? Crowdfund for "studio expenses."

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Timby posted:

Yeah, The Fifty Year Mission gets into this with some of the interviews but the Engel book gets into the really excruciating detail. Most of the time, he didn't remember things he had said five minutes earlier. He was still coherent enough to do things like approve casting decisions in the early goings of TNG, but by the second season his brain was essentially gone

I've seen this kind of assertion before, which confused me because I vaguely remembered him being pretty coherent in a 25th Anniversary Special. I don't know when his part was filmed, but I can't find any evidence of it pre-1991. It was apparently included on the Judgement Rites CD-ROM. Here it is. Although at the beginning he does call Jonathon Swift "Davi-vahuhuhu-Swift", so make of that what you will.

And also from 1991: http://trekcomic.com/2016/11/24/gene-roddenberrys-1991-humanist-interview/

Accounts of his final years seem to vary from "inconsistent/weird/creepy" (which also seems to describe him throughout his career) to "barely lucid".

In my checking around, I also came across an interview done with him in 2010. Yes, 2010. From the afterlife. :raise:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That "interview" is written by David Alexander, and anything he ever published is deeply, deeply suspect. Alexander was hand-picked by Majel to write Star Trek Creator, an "authorized" biography of Roddenberry, and to scramble to get it published as quickly as possible because Majel was panicked about Engel's book (she found out that it wasn't going to shy away from the less savory aspects of Roddenberry's life). As a result, Alexander's book is full of outright fabrications and exaggerations, and repeats every single urban legend Roddenberry liked to tell about himself (including some of the really egregious ones, like how Roddenberry used to say that he offered the complete ownership of Star Trek to his first wife in lieu of alimony payments, saying it showed how generous he was to her -- except this happened at a time when the rights to Star Trek were essentially worthless).

I have absolutely no doubt that this interview was either completely forged, or basically written by Majel and Alexander based upon Gene's ramblings, especially since Roddenberry was confined to a wheelchair, and after the 1989 stroke that put him in a wheelchair but before the October 1991 stroke that ultimately killed him, he also had a number of mini-strokes (or ischemic events or whatever doctors now call them nowadays) that left him outright exhausted and unable to participate in meetings for more than ten or fifteen minutes before he'd start babbling nonsense.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 18, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Just a random comment - I was watching the DS9 episode "In the Cards", which I honestly and truly think is an absolutely fantastic little episode - the *perfect* kind of mood-setting episode with a comedic spine that you want to set up a season finale. It's one of those episodes that really focuses on the sense of place and characters and the minutiae and craziness of everyday DS9 life. Naturally, it reminds me of the "great material continuum" episodes where Nog and/or Jake start bartering chains of goods/favors.

But anyway, the crux of the episode - the emotional payoff makes the episode hang together - is the father/son relationship between Jake and Sisko. And it made me realize that, in actuality, that relationship between the two characters utterly transcends the characters themselves, really - at least when you're talking about emotional depth/resonance and the building blocks/relationships that make the story feel genuine, and emotionally honest. I could name endless examples - meeting the Jem'Hadar on a father/son science-project trip that they go on (along with Nog/Quark). The episode where Jake is helping Bashir in a medical emergency and Sisko broods worriedly at the station. The sort of sequel episode to 'Rapture', where Sisko has brain damage that's giving him amazing Prophets-inspired visions and Jake has to make the decision to operate. Even a light-hearted "bottle"-ish episode with just the two of them on a Bajoran ship turns out to be a pretty drat good episode. The episode where Kasidy gets arrested.

And obviously there's "The Visitor", which is one of those episodes that ripples out to previous episodes and later episodes and is just *so* powerful that it really underscores the importance of this relationship more than anything. A lot of credit does go to Tony Todd (who played Old Jake but was more commonly known for playing Kurn) just turned in one of the best Trek guest appearances ever.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that I've frankly never much liked Sisko as a character. He's not [ii]terrible[/i], but I just never found his character or approach all that compelling. And I think even less of Jake as a character, and I sorta feel like they botched him from the beginning... Though he was an improvement on Wesley Crusher as far as kid-characters go. For example, I actually think what they did with Nog as a character was far more compelling than anything they ever did with Jake. I should note that I'm holding Avery Brooks to a bit of a higher standard here, and being the Captain (or the Commander) isn't an easy thing. But it's really an odd thing.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I recall reading that it was Brooks who pushed to have Ben and Jake's relationship to be as prominent and as good as it was. Honestly DS9 did character relationships so well, the only other trek relationship I can think of that comes close is Kirk/Spock.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 18, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dirty posted:

In my checking around, I also came across an interview done with him in 2010. Yes, 2010. From the afterlife. :raise:

No way the ghost of Gene Roddenberry would phrase everything in passive voice. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I recall reading that it was Brooks who pushed to have Ben and Jake's relationship to be as prominent and as good as it was.

Cirroc Lofton was like 13 or 14 when he started working on DS9, and Brooks was intensely sensitive to what Lofton was going through as a young man, and well as sometimes having to spend sixteen or seventeen hours a day on the set while still a kid. Brooks stepped up and basically took Lofton in as his surrogate son throughout the show's run. As I understand it, to this day they're still very close friends and Brooks would make appearances at Lofton's restaurant to drum up business before it closed.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Avery Brooks was super serious about Ben Sisko being a stand-up single father to Jake, as a push back against absentee dads in the present day African-American communities. I'll stop there because there are major spoilers ahead and there's a ton of people ITT that are watching DS9 for the first time and may not remember when some of stuff was spoiled in the past. But suffice it to say, Broks wasn't always happy with how things turned out.

Jake is one of the real-est characters in Trek, because he seems like a regular teen. He makes childish mistakes and has childish motives sometimes, but he also grows up into something real and down-to-earth. He's also not a loving wunderkind, so that helps. Jake is rad, and that includes his wardrobe. :colbert:

Edit: also, the story about how Avery Brooks and Cirroc Lofton were like father and son on set is genuinely heartwarming. IIRC, Brooks had a kid about his age at the time, so he kind of just adopted Lofton while they were on set together. They're apparently still pretty close.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Railing Kill posted:

Jake is one of the real-est characters in Trek, because he seems like a regular teen. He makes childish mistakes and has childish motives sometimes, but he also grows up into something real and down-to-earth. He's also not a loving wunderkind, so that helps. Jake is rad, and that includes his wardrobe. :colbert:

Jake and Nog work as characters because their role in any given story is almost never to just be "the kids." It's a stark contrast to how TNG and VOY used Wesley, Naomi Wildman, or those awful loving Borg kids.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think the test of a good character is if you can sense the coming story, and yet you still enjoy watching them go through the expected beats.

Like when Jake and Nog have their Odd Couple subplot about moving in together. We've all seen it, we all know how the story will go, but we can still enjoy watching them play it out because the actors and the writing are good.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Dirty posted:

I've seen this kind of assertion before, which confused me because I vaguely remembered him being pretty coherent in a 25th Anniversary Special.

I recall seeing somewhere recently in a doc the outtakes from that interview, where he trails off and gets confused and they have to start over. I can't recall exactly where I saw it; I feel like it was in Shatner's Chaos on the Bridge doc. I'll check.

EDIT: Taking quick look at Chaos, doesn't look like they incorporate any footage they didn't shoot themselves. Maybe it was in one of the TNG bluray bonus materials? This is going to drive me crazy now.

speakhard fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 18, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, not only can senile people have moments and periods of lucidity, but it's also not like they were asking him particularly challenging questions; that interview was basically "hey, let's run through your old convention circuit talking points one more time."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

skooma512 posted:

Yeah Gene was losing it by TNG. I remember in 50 year mission how someone said he was saying racist poo poo openly in a staff meeting, but this is the same guy in the 60s who cast Nichelle Nichols and literally told a station in the south to gently caress off (his very words) when they whined about Uhura. Very confusing.

<giant picture of Eldridge Cleaver>

Pakled posted:

TOS had The Conscience of the King. TNG broaches war crimes a lot, but mostly in the context of "is it okay to commit genocide/violate the prime directive in order to save ourselves?" (the answer is always no), but you've also got The High Ground dealing with the morality of terrorism in a more nuanced way, and The Survivors where the war criminal's pain and regret forms a major part of the plot.

The way things are going, the IRA probably will have united Ireland by 2024.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 18, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

The way things are going, the IRA probably will have united Ireland by 2024.

I didn't know David Cameron was in the IRA, but I guess it makes more sense than the official narrative

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Finally got this set up - I'll do a test run of a TOS comic book by DC Comics. This is #1 of TOS Volume 2, published in 1989. I'm skipping Volume 1 for no other reason than I read Volume 2 when I was a kid first and that's what I am most sentimental about.

If you find them interesting, buy them!
- https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=110361, formerly Lone Star Comics, has #1 to #56 in stock, ranging from $1.50 to $3.00 each in roughly "Good" quality.
- Scans are also available in PDF form with this DVD on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Complete-Comic-Collection/dp/B001B5KYR2 , but buyer beware - the quality of the PDFs isn't perfect, the layout is two pages to one PDF page, the PDFs aren't named well, and it's not exactly as complete as advertised, although it's a huge amount of comics for only $20. It's got all 80 of the DC TOS Vol.2 I'll be going into, plus TOS Vol.1 and TNG Vol.1 and 2 from DC, plus the Malibu and Marvel comics, plus the Wildstorm imprint comics, PLUS the Gold Key comics. I'll probably get this at some point just to look into the Wildstorm comics and also the Gold Keys. It's also possible if you just want the Gold Keys to find and buy the old reprint volumes.
- You can also as always browse through eBay for some good sales.
- I'm not sure of any other way to find them, I haven't found them on the DC and Marvel stores but maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

My layout context will be to introduce the the writer, when they first make an appearance, and then I'll post a few pictures of the comics explaining most plot points (and in italics, some of my own observations about the pages.) I don't know much about the pencillers/inkers/colorists other than I like their work and they put out consistent quality even during team change-ups.

TOS Volume 2 #1-15 were written by Peter David, which should be heartening to hear for you comics nerds out there as he is one of the Good Writers. He's highly regarded for a 12-year run on the Incredible Hulk starting in 1985 that resuscitated the book/hero. He also worked in the 90s and 2000s writing volumes of X-Factor for Marvel; the 2000s volume 3 of X-Factor ran for 262 issues and is one of my favorite comic book runs. He wrote a few Star Trek novels, some of them decent (considering the other trek novels out there). I'll refer to Peter David as PD from now on. Let's get to it then!
  • We have a classic cover for issue #1.
    -Want a mint edition copy of this? It'll set you back ~$200.

• An explosive start as we're introduced to the Klingon ambassador, a major character for the arc.

• Some exposition while Bones and Kirk lay about on Earth.
    -Remember that this series starts right after the events of notable turd, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
    -You'll see a lot of secondary colors in the palette of this comic book for many issues, as well as a flat, muted style attributable to the 80s European comics. This is probably because everyone at the time was attempting to imitate Watchmen, which came out in 1986. Not to take away from the style - it works well for the book.
    -McCoy's closeup expression (He's drinking, according to the comic, "Rigelian Comfort" :)) for some reason looks to me like Captain Murphy from Sealab.

• They segway into some hetero innuendo, McCoy thinks Kirk is on earth to visit an old flame, is scandalized:

• But we all know what Kirk's really talking about.

• We're treated to a Search for Spock flashback, Kirk feeling naval captain survivor's guilt:

• Then we're taken to the Enterprise, where Spock beats a young demonic-alien enlisted officer, M'yra, at chess. Sulu and Chekov cheerlead them. M'yra takes the loss rather well, and immediately starts hitting on Sulu.
    -PDwrites Sulu as an inveterate ladies' man in the comic. Sulu and Chekov are usually written as a buddy duo.

• Sulu and Chekov banter right before the Bridge Crew is reunited once again.

• Spock appears on the Bridge.
    -PD emphasizes how much of a sarcastic, humorous dick Spock can be in this series, he has a lot of fun with the character.

• We're introduced to another original character, Ensin Fouton, who is a very skinny blue alien with pink bug eyes and a flowing white mohawk mane. Very 80s. Chekov spars him to test security duty - the result...

• They pick up an exile of an alien fanatic race, devoted to their somewhat spiritual and political leader, who refers to himself in the third person as The Salla.
    Here's another original character, Ensign Tuchinsky, manning the transporter.
    It's a yellow, skull-faced alien race called....the Nasgul... :raise:

• The alien fanatics demand the exile back, and before Kirk can deploy some charm, they immediately attack.
    -Another part of Peter David's run is that the Enterprise is clearly shown as a very capable warship.

• One of the Nasgul capital ships carrying The Salla shows up after the Enterprise wipes the floor with the previous attack ship. The Salla sees the exile on board through the viewscreen, and somehow (telepathically?) ...

• Back to the seat of the Federation, at the Council. The ambassador is looking pretty baller.

• He then drops this ultimatum into the Council's lap. Issue Fin.

Up next: Council in chaos! Kirk and The Salla show down! Ensign Fouton meets Kirk! The Mission to Chronian III begins! Kirk and Spock learn about the bounty! Sulu gets burned! A canonical foe takes up the bounty in earnest!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I didn't know David Cameron was in the IRA, but I guess it makes more sense than the official narrative
David Cameron (he's in the ra)
Leonard Nimoy (he's in the ra)
Constable Odo (he's in the ra)
Jeri Ryan (he's in the ra)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was the 25th anniversary special the thing where they had the really terrible short with Jason Alexander as Kirk and Ray Jay Johnson as Spock and it's just really tastless and very clearly shot in an afternoon within 5 blocks of the Paramount studios?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I don't care what you hateful goons say. I've had a few beers and I say that Star Trek 5 is a fine movie. It for SURE beats the balls off of the likes of Insurrection and Nemesis. There's so much to like about it that I'll allow the cringe-worthy bullshit.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Paradoxish posted:

Jake and Nog work as characters because their role in any given story is almost never to just be "the kids." It's a stark contrast to how TNG and VOY used Wesley, Naomi Wildman, or those awful loving Borg kids.

A friend of mine will sometimes ask me, "You wanna go steal Odo's bucket?" This is understood as "Let's go do something stupid." Jake and Nog are great, and they grow up in a cool way.

Lordshmee posted:

I don't care what you hateful goons say. I've had a few beers and I say that Star Trek 5 is a fine movie. It for SURE beats the balls off of the likes of Insurrection and Nemesis. There's so much to like about it that I'll allow the cringe-worthy bullshit.

ST:V can be better than Nemesis and still be really bad. It's not a high hurdle. It's like how slamming your finger in a door is really bad, but it's not as bad as slamming your dick in a door.

What I'm saying is: watching Nemesis is like slamming your dick in a door. That's the important part.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lordshmee posted:

No, I'm with you, I've never disliked 5 as much as most fans. The score alone elevates it into worthwhile territory.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

Was the 25th anniversary special the thing where they had the really terrible short with Jason Alexander as Kirk and Ray Jay Johnson as Spock and it's just really tastless and very clearly shot in an afternoon within 5 blocks of the Paramount studios?

Noooo, I'm pretty sure that was the 35th anniversary special.

TNG is older now than TOS was when TNG first came out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pacra posted:

Finally got this set up - I'll do a test run of a TOS comic book by DC Comics. This is #1 of TOS Volume 2, published in 1989. I'm skipping Volume 1 for no other reason than I read Volume 2 when I was a kid first and that's what I am most sentimental about.

Just want to say this was a cool and good post and I'm interested to see issue 2. :)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I describe Star Trek 5 as a collection of some amazing, truly great, Star Trek moments but absolutely nothing leading to those moments.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
I haven't found that outtake from Gene's interview that was excerpted in the 25th anniversary doc, which is driving me crazy, but I did come across this gem that was definitely new to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2eLw7IyaI

I know there are loads of anecdotes about Gene's...er, inappropriate sexual comments, but I never imagined there was any *video* of it. I mean yowza, this is cringeworthy to watch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

drat, never realised that.

I feel like TNG aged way better than TOS did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Noooo, I'm pretty sure that was the 35th anniversary special.

Gah, that's terrible. And Of course. I wonder if its floating around out there.

Found this. I remember this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kC467GyP6Y

Oh poo poo here it is, it was actually called Ultimate Trek: Star Trek’s Greatest Moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YYVsXHW2o
Whomever recorded it off tv didn't skip the ads so it has ads for Galaxy Quest in it. That's hilarious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lordshmee posted:

The Final Frontier has absolutely astounding cinematography, and Shatner's blocking and camera movements are the best of the original cast movies. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

MikeJF posted:

drat, never realised that.

I feel like TNG aged way better than TOS did.

TNG (and by extension I would also say DS9) really get away with looking WAY less dated than they are. I think part of this is because Michael Okuda is really goddamn brilliant at his job - credit should be given where it's due, and the combination of the TOTALLY unique look of the LCARS operating system, combined with the decision to go exclusive with touch-screens and touch-panels as well as having characters using tons of tablet-like devices with and without styluses in an almost disposable way.... Well, these decisions I think have gone REALLY far in making TNG seem about ten times less dated than it should seem. And it's kind of funny, because as we all know the decision to go with the "touch-screen" devices was entirely financially motivated, and based around the fact that they couldn't afford to put hundreds of switches and toggles all over the bridge.

I mean, TNG came out in freaking 1987. Reagan's second term. 6 loving years before the world will see the release of Windows 3.1. When you put all of that in context, TNG is amazingly prescient concerning modern technology. Take an episode like Contagion from season 2, for example. That episode doesn't really get anywhere NEAR the credit it's due. The fact that even in 1988 before TNG found its footing in season 3, they were doing a remarkable episode like that about the big bad threat being a computer virus taking over the Enterprise - and even more amazing, watching it today it STILL doesn't come across as dated because Okuda was such a goddamn genius. But nobody had a CLUE what in christ a computer virus was back then - it was a total non-entity, an absolute mystery to anyone but the truly and deeply geeky. This was a full decade+ before e-mail and google and personal computing would enter the public consciousness. They could have portrayed this "computer virus" in any way they wanted in this episode.

And they didn't make it some anthropomorphic talking computer virus with a personality like a lesser show might have - it was a totally legit and believable concept that holds up today, that two advanced types of computers could try networking and the OS of one could wind up inadvertently corrupting the OS of another. Picard even corrects Worf when he tries to perceive the "computer virus" as a hostile entity. The only thing that comes across as hilariously dated is that the solution (restart the loving thing) is the first thing everyone tries when their computer starts loving up, I mean like obviously! So it's almost like a shaggy dog story today, but still.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 19, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
I make a "What does X need with a Y" joke almost monthly, thus making ST:V the second best movie behind ST:IV, wherein I make "No I'm from X, I only work in Y" jokes every other week.

Honestly though, ST:V has a ton of problems, but it maintains the thing I like about ST:IV which is that it's a TOS Comedy Movie as much as it is a serious sci-fi film, and I love the TOS movie sense of humor, for some reason I'll never really understand.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kaworu posted:

TNG (and by extension I would also say DS9) really get away with looking WAY less dated than they are. I think part of this is because Michael Okuda is really goddamn brilliant at his job - credit should be given where it's due, and the combination of the TOTALLY unique look of the LCARS operating system, combined with the decision to go exclusive with touch-screens and touch-panels as well as having characters using tons of tablet-like devices with and without styluses in an almost disposable way.... Well, these decisions I think have gone REALLY far in making TNG seem about ten times less dated than it should seem. And it's kind of funny, because as we all know the decision to go with the "touch-screen" devices was entirely financially motivated, and based around the fact that they couldn't afford to put hundreds of switches and toggles all over the bridge.

I mean, TNG came out in freaking 1987. Reagan's second term. 6 loving years before the world will see the release of Windows 3.1. When you put all of that in context, TNG is amazingly prescient concerning modern technology. Take an episode like Contagion from season 2, for example. That episode doesn't really get anywhere NEAR the credit it's due. The fact that even in 1988 before TNG found its footing in season 3, they were doing a remarkable episode like that about the big bad threat being a computer virus taking over the Enterprise - and even more amazing, watching it today it STILL doesn't come across as dated because Okuda was such a goddamn genius. But nobody had a CLUE what in christ a computer virus was back then - it was a total non-entity, an absolute mystery to anyone but the truly and deeply geeky. This was a full decade+ before e-mail and google and personal computing would enter the public consciousness. They could have portrayed this "computer virus" in any way they wanted in this episode.

And they didn't make it some anthropomorphic talking computer virus with a personality like a lesser show might have - it was a totally legit and believable concept that holds up today, that two advanced types of computers could try networking and the OS of one could wind up inadvertently corrupting the OS of another. Picard even corrects Worf when he tries to perceive the "computer virus" as a hostile entity. The only thing that comes across as hilariously dated is that the solution (restart the loving thing) is the first thing everyone tries when their computer starts loving up, I mean like obviously! So it's almost like a shaggy dog story today, but still.

Well, more of a shutdown, reformat, restore from backups, restart. You're right though that the problem was a realistic one and the solution probably would have worked.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

This has been true since 2008 though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It gets pointed out a lot in 50 Years of Trek that the sets they used were movie quality. People forget that the show had a budget that was unheard of for that genre up to that point.

The TNG sets were used for ST6 and they don't look cheap on film like the TOS ones would have. In comparison nothing on TOS was meant to last and it's amusing to see the sets and makeup in the digital remastered.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Which TNG sets were used in ST:6 other than the engineering set (covered up by rando crewmen)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Aren't all of the corridors in ST:6 from TNG?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Which TNG sets were used in ST:6 other than the engineering set (covered up by rando crewmen)

memory-alpha posted:

Most of the Enterprise-A sets were redresses of USS Enterprise-D sets:
  • Kirk and Spock's quarters (Data's quarters, which were originally Kirk's quarters from Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
  • Transporter room (Enterprise-D transporter room)
  • Sickbay (Enterprise-D sickbay)
  • Laboratory (Beverly Crusher's office)
  • Officer's mess hall (the dining room, redress of Enterprise-D observation lounge)
  • Engineering (clear redress of the Enterprise-D engineering; they simply replaced the display graphics and repainted some surfaces)
  • Corridors (retouched with more metallic appearance)

These sets had been in turn recycled by TNG from the first three movies. The TNG warp core was a complete redress of the first movie's warp plasma conduits, Data's quarters a redress of Kirk's and Ilia's quarters. Even the sickbay from TNG was recycled from the movies' sickbay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the President's office a very obvious redress of 10 forward?