Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great job thread. Keep it going. Amazing content.

Uber derail into beer derail into ambulance right of way derail.

Beeswax has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As the person who is driving the ambulance with the lights and sirens, I would actually prefer if you don't run a red even when you have an ambulance behind you. All it takes is one jackass who isn't paying any attention, you get creamed, and now everyone's day is worse. If you can make space safely, do so, but don't put yourself in serious risk.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Keep driving and also begin breaking laws" is definitely not the procedure for when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you at a red light.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But it's good circumstances to be injured because emergency vehicles were in the way

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Ak Gara posted:

You know when you're at a red light and an ambulance comes up behind the row of cars and everyone walks through the red light to get out of it's way?

Did you get mixed up with the function that UK traffic lights have that detects blue flashing lights? It automatically changes all the traffic lights to red so that only the ambulance, fire, and police can pass through.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

"Keep driving and also begin breaking laws" is definitely not the procedure for when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you at a red light.

No one is suggesting you just see the ambulance and floor it. But for example I live in Edinburgh, not a city blessed with the widest roads so when you see an ambulance you try to pull out of the way,if you're at a red light you just kinda roll forwards and pull out of it's way.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ffs for all of you saying 'no u rong just pull forward'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/why-you-could-be-fined-for-letting-an-emergency-vehicle-past/

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aramoro posted:

No one is suggesting you just see the ambulance and floor it. But for example I live in Edinburgh, not a city blessed with the widest roads so when you see an ambulance you try to pull out of the way,if you're at a red light you just kinda roll forwards and pull out of it's way.

That sounds both dangerous and illegal.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Saint Freak posted:

That sounds both dangerous and illegal.

Yeah, I thought 'well a yard forward can't hurt and it might help someone' so I googled up 'uk red light fine ambulance' and welp; educated myself.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

An expensive smartphone is $600. Stick it in a pocket and leave.

$600 really isn't that much for an electronics store.

Huh. For some reason I was thinking of those tumblrites trying to cram 600 dollars worth of make up palettes into their tiny purses.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, I thought 'well a yard forward can't hurt and it might help someone' so I googled up 'uk red light fine ambulance' and welp; educated myself.

Not only do you help people get potentially life saving assistance faster you also get to contribute to the strained public coffers. It's win win.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

Huh. For some reason I was thinking of those tumblrites trying to cram 600 dollars worth of make up palettes into their tiny purses.

This was about a decade ago so you have GPS, PDAs, iPods, Pocket Cameras, cell phones, all poo poo that fits in a pocket and costs around $1000.

A lot of theft was people emptying paper shredder boxes and trying to stuff them with 5+ high end video cards or a bunch of Blu-Ray movies. Something like that would be around $2k in value.

One of our LP guys was former security for WWE and broke a thief's rib slamming him onto the pavement.

LP got paid commission based on value or type of recovery. The more they recovered, the more money they made, so there was a very good incentive to stop people.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Despite watching CCTV images clearly showing Catherine’s Vauxhall Zafira moving over for the 999 call – then swiftly moving out of the bus lane as soon as the fire engines had passed – adjudicators warned her that however well intentioned, she appeared to have committed an offence.

Sounds like some adjudicators need to get fired for being fuckwits.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3a12zBdsk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The part I don't get about shopkeeper's privilege (or whatever the official legal term is that lets store security detain people) are the bystanders. If I happened to stroll up to the front of a store and saw a man refusing to let go of a woman's purse:

I'd... well okay, to be honest it's hard to say what I'd actually do. It's easy enough to sit here and say I'd step in and save the apparent damsel in distress, but I guess you never really know until it happens. But in any case, my sympathies certainly wouldn't be with the dude refusing to let go of a girl half his size. Do bystanders, unaware that the altercation is a plainclothes-store-security-vs-shoplifter situation, ever step in and "rescue" the shoplifter? It's got to happen, at least occasionally.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Powered Descent posted:

The part I don't get about shopkeeper's privilege (or whatever the official legal term is that lets store security detain people) are the bystanders. If I happened to stroll up to the front of a store and saw a man refusing to let go of a woman's purse:

I'd... well okay, to be honest it's hard to say what I'd actually do. It's easy enough to sit here and say I'd step in and save the apparent damsel in distress, but I guess you never really know until it happens. But in any case, my sympathies certainly wouldn't be with the dude refusing to let go of a girl half his size. Do bystanders, unaware that the altercation is a plainclothes-store-security-vs-shoplifter situation, ever step in and "rescue" the shoplifter? It's got to happen, at least occasionally.

Yeah, and then you get charged with aiding and abetting, and probably assault. Don't ever intervene over property, someone may have a knife or gun. If life and limb is at stake, that's more worth it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The guy barfing in the plane is maybe my favorite

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Powered Descent posted:

I worked in a psych ward and we would often physically restrain patients to administer medication. One time we were assisting a young woman with her court ordered medication and her best friend on the unit came to her rescue. Imagine watching a 300+ pound woman running and leaping onto the back of my poor buddy. She tried chewing through the top of his scalp. :allears: Poor guy. The video we had of the incident is still one of the funniest things I've ever watched.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, Powered Descent, please tell us more about how you would "rescue" the poor little girl from the big strong man who is saying "stop. stop. You can't shoplift here"

I wonder what it says about you that your first thought in this situation would be that the man is the criminal? hmm.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm sure it does, but run your scenario a little further along. You help the "damsel in distress" and she runs away, when the cops show up, what's that LP person gonna tell them?

LP: "Yeah, that guy right there helped her escape, they're clearly in cahoots!"
You: "No, I was just breaking up a fight!"
LP: "I said she was shoplifting and I'm with the store and he still helped her get away."
Cop: "Well, let's get the good samaritan a nice set of steel bracelets until we get this all sorted out."

At that point, you'd better hope that there's security footage of the LP person going way over the line, but even with that, you're probably still gonna end up being arrested for your good deed and then you'll need to have a lawyer sort it out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The guy sees that there's stolen poo poo in the purse, clamps his hands down on the purse and doesn't let go. All of the other physical contact is initiated by the woman, she takes swings and kicks at him a bunch of times. All he ever does is change his body position so that he has enough leverage to hold on to the property that he gets paid to protect.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

The guy sees that there's stolen poo poo in the purse, clamps his hands down on the purse and doesn't let go. All of the other physical contact is initiated by the woman, she takes swings and kicks at him a bunch of times. All he ever does is change his body position so that he has enough leverage to hold on to the property that he gets paid to protect.

He was also totally within his rights to pin her to the ground at that point. He has the authority to use whatever force is necessary to effect the arrest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, Powered Descent, please tell us more about how you would "rescue" the poor little girl from the big strong man who is saying "stop. stop. You can't shoplift here"

:shrug: Did you miss the part where I said I don't actually know what I'd do? I just said where my sympathies would be upon first impression, and asked if it ever happened that someone did intervene in a situation like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What I'm taking away from this is the next time I snatch a purse I'll just yell "Stop! Shoplifter!" And everyone will applaud me as I rugby tackle an old lady and steal her pension.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

:shrug: Did you miss the part where I said I don't actually know what I'd do? I just said where my sympathies would be upon first impression, and asked if it ever happened that someone did intervene in a situation like that.

The dude wasn't silent the whole time, he kept saying that she was shoplifting and the store employees were telling her to stop. There was nothing ambiguous about the situation.

On first impression my though would be "that lady is crazy" and then I would go to the ice cream counter and get 2 scoops of rainbow sherbet in a cup.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FCKGW posted:

The dude wasn't silent the whole time, he kept saying that she was shoplifting and the store employees were telling her to stop. There was nothing ambiguous about the situation.

On first impression my though would be "that lady is crazy" and then I would go to the ice cream counter and get 2 scoops of rainbow sherbet in a cup.

Whip out your phone and yell "worldstar!" like a normal person.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell what is going on.

cakesmith handyman posted:

What I'm taking away from this is the next time I snatch a purse I'll just yell "Stop! Shoplifter!" And everyone will applaud me as I rugby tackle an old lady and steal her pension.

This is an excellent wild caught example of the classic internet "be willfully obtuse and then put words in everyone's mouths" post.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Whip out your phone and yell "worldstar!" like a normal person.

This is always the correct option.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, maybe your reflex would be to post up, arms folded, near the confrontation-in-progress and scold both parties for not being polite enough, like that awful old woman facing the camera in the video. Her chiding the man to "be a gentleman!" was so loving stupid. Why would that be what anyone would do in that scenario? What in you calls you to loving referee this poo poo?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

an inner battle between justice-fetishism and racism.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Beeswax posted:

Great job thread. Keep it going. Amazing content.

Uber derail into beer derail into ambulance right of way derail.

Guardian did an article about football celebrations gone wrong and there's an incident just like this in it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ybOqQm59Q

Hell the whole article is thread relevant. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/16/the-joy-of-six-football-celebrations-gone-wrong

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/LAMbdpc.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/fI9c0DH.gifv

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

poop dood posted:

Hey, maybe your reflex would be to post up, arms folded, near the confrontation-in-progress and scold both parties for not being polite enough, like that awful old woman facing the camera in the video. Her chiding the man to "be a gentleman!" was so loving stupid. Why would that be what anyone would do in that scenario? What in you calls you to loving referee this poo poo?

reminded me of the woman screaming "STOP!" in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGsc5_WYchA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

This is an excellent wild caught example of the classic internet "be willfully obtuse and then put words in everyone's mouths" post.

I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, I'm making a joke. You may have heard of them?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Chichevache posted:

He was also totally within his rights to pin her to the ground at that point. He has the authority to use whatever the minimum force [s]is[s/] necessary to effect the arrest.

ftfy

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, I'm making a joke. You may have heard of them?

It's impossible to tell what level of irony you were posting from. Your joke is indistinguishable from being a legitimate dumbass.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

It's impossible to tell what level of irony you were posting from. Your joke is indistinguishable from being a legitimate dumbass.

it was very clearly a joke you massive clod

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

poop dood posted:

I payed my way through community college working security for bars/stores and especially construction sites and every time we had to intervene physically there was almost always some dumb rear end in a top hat going "Hey hey break it up cmon!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

china bot posted:

reminded me of the woman screaming "STOP!" in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGsc5_WYchA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTx4LLHxMyM