Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

And then it'll be like that episode of Star Trek TNG where everyone forgets how to do anything of value and when their big planet-sustaining machine starts to fail they're ultrafucked.

TOS did it first/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

What other things could I do to challenge my players in Godbound?

Their planet gets discovered by Space Marines.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

grassy gnoll posted:

Man, I hate the Bizarros.

Bizarros hate you too!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Climate change? Civil war? Economic downturn?
Maybe give them the challenge of their country being run by shitheads?

Actually, how do you solve those? Just override the election and make everyone cool with it using superpowers? Or just :sherman:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah sale/trade threads go in SA Mart.

It should be cool to toss a link in here when it's up, but I'd double check with Ettin.

Linking to an SA Mart thread is probably the best way to do it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought some POD books from DTRPG, and it says it shipped last Feb 3. So I guess that means it was done printing, and it began its mail journey to me ... any idea how long "Lettermail Priority Packet" takes to get to Asia? Because it's been more than a month since Feb 3 and I don't know how to track my package more precisely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bizarros hate you too!

Well at first they seemed nice....

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Covok posted:

So, to the people who play Godbound and similar God games, how do you challenge players?

My experience is with Nobilis, whose characters are a lot more generally impervious than Godbound's (and mainly in Nobilis 2 at that, whose response to Nobles taking damage was "no" compared to N3's "yes, but"), so your mileage may vary, but my big takeaway was that I needed to change my perspective from "can the party overcome this" to "of course the party will overcome this." The usual bloodymindedness/ingenuity of PCs plus literal godlike power basically assured they'd at least eventually pull some amazing trick I'd never see coming, so I actually found it pretty freeing to just come up with situations/enemies without any consideration at all for providing an "out" to make beatable, just to see what the group would do (although again, the ridiculous resilience of Nobles meant that they could take insane risks or theoretically cut their losses and retreat, whereas Godbound can still just get killed by HP damage from enemies on their level)

I'd say you should stop thinking in terms of trying to harm or punish the PCs themselves, but to create situations that would catch their eye. Enemies don't come gunning for the PCs directly, they encroach on people, places or things that the PCs are invested in or would find interesting to visit, or come to them seeking help. Come up with situations that would be impossible for a mortal or a magician to solve, and then see what the PCs do. An entire city accidentally sells their souls to a demon, an epidemic of lycanthropy or wightpocalypse, a cult of assassin-wizards that scries-and-fries the leadership of any organization that dares resist them. Hell, just flip through any Monster Manual and see what creature would be the biggest bitch for low level characters to deal with. I recall Aboleths and their forced-aquatic-conversion slave empire looking like an incredible pain in the rear end.

And if they steamroll it, that's fine-- they're gods, they should have some easy wins. That just means you now have a better idea what they're capable of, and ratchet up the opposition even more next time. And sometimes the proposed cure is worse than the disease, so the next challenge creates itself as the PCs keep digging themselves deeper (I believe in Exalted circles this is known as Golden Shovel Technique). At this level of power, I think the stakes are less "avert threat to the characters" and more "keep the attention of the characters."

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 14, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It's smarter to make the opposite, and make the PCs face off a Gaunter O Dimm dude who can't be defeated by conventional means but needs to have his OWN faustian clauses used against him.
The big campaign villain in one of my games was a wizard who had spent a wish from the gods on absolute immortality and made it absolutely watertight, spending weeks on the right wording and ending up with a several page legal document. To defeat him, the party travelled back in time, intercepted the document and added "except when someone says the keyword 'slartibartfast'".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought some POD books from DTRPG, and it says it shipped last Feb 3. So I guess that means it was done printing, and it began its mail journey to me ... any idea how long "Lettermail Priority Packet" takes to get to Asia? Because it's been more than a month since Feb 3 and I don't know how to track my package more precisely.

You probably would have been better off getting it printed up yourself from whatever the local equivalent to Kinkos is

My Lovely Horse posted:

The big campaign villain in one of my games was a wizard who had spent a wish from the gods on absolute immortality and made it absolutely watertight, spending weeks on the right wording and ending up with a several page legal document. To defeat him, the party travelled back in time, intercepted the document and added "except when someone says the keyword 'slartibartfast'".

I'm guessing his immortality was retroactive in nature, otherwise they could have just ganked him before he made the wish and take a chance on the potential chronological paradox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was ready to roll with that, but he was a big behind the scenes player for about 1000 years and they didn't want to risk a millennium of changed history or they would have had the modrons on their rear end.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was ready to roll with that, but he was a big behind the scenes player for about 1000 years and they didn't want to risk a millennium of changed history or they would have had the modrons on their rear end.

Plus their solution was way funnier.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Ettin posted:

Linking to an SA Mart thread is probably the best way to do it!

Noted!

Board Game Trading Thread

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trying to schedule games when everyone involved is a real adult with, like, an adult life and jobs and stuff is the worst.

You all already know this and I have nothing new to add to the topic :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm getting 4E withdrawal.... Someone GM it for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayRenegade/status/842465568963743745

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Huh! I wouldn't have guessed Scott Pilgrim still had legs as an IP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If there's anything that has a good track record, it's board games based on nerd IPs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If there's anything that has a good track record, it's board games based on nerd IPs.

Making it a Card Game will just diminish the Scott Pilgrim brand

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of deck building games based on nerd stuff, did that Space Dandy game that got Kickstarted a couple years ago ever come out?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Latest blogpost for The Next Project is up, mostly talking about monster math and adventuring day stuff.
So if, I hosed it up horribly, please let me know :v:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So...Is it any good?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It doesn't look like there's much on it yet other than Keith Baker being the designer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Latest blogpost for The Next Project is up, mostly talking about monster math and adventuring day stuff.
So if, I hosed it up horribly, please let me know :v:

1:

This might not be helpful to your design specifically, but your "level 0" musings, coupled with me thinking about how TNP might look like as a book, got me thinking about the problem of "Players Handbooks" having something like 8 to 12 classes as part of their Chapter 1 or Chapter 2, and then you get to "here is how you play the game".

It's not really that conducive to reading the book "straight", because you're only going to pick one class before you need to know how to roll for attacks and whatnot, but you either have to skip through a fourth to a third of the book just to get there, or you start reading through a bunch of mechanics and rules that you don't really need per se.

I'd like to see an organizational model where you take one class, stop there, then the game goes into normal play, then the rest of the classes are elaborated upon (even if they have to reprint that first class just so it's not way off in the front of the book).

Alternatively, something similar to 5e's basic books, where it's just the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard, with one archetype each, and then maybe the other classes and other archetypes follow in the back.

And related to TNP specifically, I say this because I'm kind of expecting that TNP the Book is going to have a fairly long class-list, far beyond what would be "interesting" if you'd already made up your mind and wanted to get into the meat-and-potatoes of actual play.

2:

The other thing I'd like to mention is that you should definitely write-up actual monsters, even just as goblins. I "get" the math, but laying out a statblock and seeing a fully-formed monster is more helpful.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

1:

This might not be helpful to your design specifically, but your "level 0" musings, coupled with me thinking about how TNP might look like as a book, got me thinking about the problem of "Players Handbooks" having something like 8 to 12 classes as part of their Chapter 1 or Chapter 2, and then you get to "here is how you play the game".

It's not really that conducive to reading the book "straight", because you're only going to pick one class before you need to know how to roll for attacks and whatnot, but you either have to skip through a fourth to a third of the book just to get there, or you start reading through a bunch of mechanics and rules that you don't really need per se.

I'd like to see an organizational model where you take one class, stop there, then the game goes into normal play, then the rest of the classes are elaborated upon (even if they have to reprint that first class just so it's not way off in the front of the book).

Alternatively, something similar to 5e's basic books, where it's just the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard, with one archetype each, and then maybe the other classes and other archetypes follow in the back.

And related to TNP specifically, I say this because I'm kind of expecting that TNP the Book is going to have a fairly long class-list, far beyond what would be "interesting" if you'd already made up your mind and wanted to get into the meat-and-potatoes of actual play.

Yeah, I have the "example of play" in there (needs some updating/finalizing), where I took the Rogue and Barbarian and outlined most of the combat mechanics, over the course of a round; I could conceivably do a similar thing with a whole party of the "Starter Classes" (which are basically just standard classes, but with all the toggle switches already flipped for you.) I kinda wanted to do the 5e Starter Set thing, where you've got Cleric/Fighter(melee)/Fighter(archer)/Rogue/Wizard as your pre-gens, I just juggled it a little so that there was one class for each class die.

gradenko_2000 posted:

2:

The other thing I'd like to mention is that you should definitely write-up actual monsters, even just as goblins. I "get" the math, but laying out a statblock and seeing a fully-formed monster is more helpful.

My experience with writing monsters is pretty much taking races that seem similar from the 4e MM and MV, then bashing them together and fixing the math, so I'm not personally super creative in terms of doling out cool powers to make monsters unique -- but it's on the to-do list.
I'm also pondering if I want to use flat or rolled damage for mobs; the "minions" effectively already have flat damage, so I'm leaning towards a unified rolling mechanism for standard monsters.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 17, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pope Guilty posted:

Huh! I wouldn't have guessed Scott Pilgrim still had legs as an IP.
It probably doesn't.

Zurui posted:

So...Is it any good?
It probably isn't.

It's out this summer, nobody has played it for review yet.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey, 7th Sea 2nd Edition havers,

Mind elaborating a bit on how Sarmatia turned out? It's my corner of the world and I'm interested what fun ways Wick has found to butcher/freestyle off the topic (especially since most domestic fiction on the era is insufferable nationalist masturbation).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The bit I remember from my skim is fledgling democracy, with a mostly figurehead king who was all "So, like if only nobles can have the franchise, and the king can create new titles of nobility, bam, everyone in the country is now minor nobility and has a say in picking my successor" and everyone else regarding them as kind of weird as a result.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, everybody thinks they're oddballs due to having some degree of democracy due to the pronouncement of "Golden Liberty", which was mostly an end-run by a dying king to reduce the power of a corrupt noble class. As such, apparently it's in fashion with everybody but mud-scraping peasants has begun trying to adopt noble fashions and consider oneself nobility and follow chivalry regardless of one's position. (Mud-scraping peasants can't afford anything like that and consider the whole thing stupid.) They're also presented as more paganistic than some others due to still having their native gods (for lack of a better term, sinister deal-making fey creatures) wandering their country - they still have the Catholic analog but it's not as powerful there because of that. It's also a country more or less divided between a "modern" nation in the West which are thrilled with the new changes and a backwards frontier area in the East that is generally less effected / impressed by what's going on. They get a deal-making magic where they make bargains with their local malevolent spirits and try to come out ahead. There doesn't seem to be a dueling school associated with them in the new edition yet, though dueling schools are less nation-based in general now. They get +1 Brawn or +1 Panache as their attribute bonus. Their special national backgrounds are Poslowie (a professional senator), Tremtis (people who have become Sarmatian citizens to escape crimes or persecution elsewhere), Winged Hussar, and Zynys (a soothsayer that makes deals with the local spirits). They get a discount on the Leadership advantage and also have the exclusive advantage "Together We Are Strong" where they can take their advantages they get from good rolls and hand them off to allies.

It's generally pretty positive but most 7th Sea nation writeups are along the lines of "this is why this country is cool and you should totally play it", so that's not too surprising. The only time I've gotten to play the new edition I played a Sarmatian, mainly because I found their new magic type interesting. They haven't gotten the expansion that'll give them extra details / stuff yet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sarmatians definitely get the best sorcery. Possibly the only good sorcery?

(Sorcery is the worst part of the new edition, which is otherwise pretty good, if only because the book appears to be convinced that it's handing you the keys to Real Ultimate Power and patting itself on the back, but most of the powers are not that great.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This is true to an extent, but sorcery is also far cheaper compared to what it used to cost. Sorte is still very strong. Some others, like Porte, depend heavily on the creativity of the player. Mostly sorcery tends to have the issue where it's definitely useful to have, but that it tends to come with annoying catches that tend to really limit either the sorcerer or the sorcery's usage a lot.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The weirdest thing to me in the game is that, despite adding Fantasy not-Poland, they decided the country that turned into "Totally not the Witcher", complete with a magic school about alchemy brewing from monster parts and a class of professional hunters was fantasy not-Germany.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hexenwerk mainly annoys me in that it's really effective in combating monsters, and only one type of monster (undead), but how many 7th Sea games are going to focus on monster-hunting, much less zombie-slaying? I mean, the core book doesn't even cover undead except in broad strokes, which makes it a really good style against... villains... the GM has to concoct. It also has heavy material component requirements and time required to make any bit of it. Certainly, if you're a bunch of vampire hunters, it'd be invaluable, but if you're on a pirate crew all you can do is sit around as a player and hope a ghost ship shows up so you can do your thing.

It's not great.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey, 7th Sea 2nd Edition havers,

Mind elaborating a bit on how Sarmatia turned out? It's my corner of the world and I'm interested what fun ways Wick has found to butcher/freestyle off the topic (especially since most domestic fiction on the era is insufferable nationalist masturbation).

Weren't the Fire and Sword/Deluge/Fire in the Steppe novels based on that Era? They weren't too nationalistic for me.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of AEG stuff that John Wick used to be involved in, are there any good alternatives for katana-and-geta gaming besides L5R and Tenra?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

3.5 Oriental Adventures

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

3.5 Oriental Adventures

You're banned from any game I run now, you sick motherfucker!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

3.5 Oriental Adventures

AD&D Oriental Adventures?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Let's just take anything off the table that sounds like it should come out of the mouth of a 1930s pulp adventurer, optionally preceded by "Wily"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wily Zettai Reido

• Locked thread