Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Orange Devil posted:

Game has a bad case of front loading the difficulty.

Also there is an OCTGN module for AH:

https://github.com/GeckoTH/arkham-horror

I have no idea what to do with this but would like to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I saw that but couldn't get it to work manually for some reason

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kinda wish this thread hadn't had arkham split out, it's gotten way less traffic since then...

But regardless, there's a bunch of spoilers up now for the Night's Watch box. They seem to be getting a ton of card advantage, and some of their economy issues are also likely going away (I'm happy since I don't see myself using ravens anymore, I always hated those things). Honestly, I'm thinking this may be the best box yet-it seems to open up a lot of different options for playstyle while also being powerful.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, without a doubt the NW box appears to be the best big expansion so far. Stark was really good as well, but Lannister seemed wanting. I've been a huge proponent of NW as a faction since the game launched though, so I'm super jazzed up about it regardless.

Chapter Pack 3.1 released this week as well. Anybody doing anything neat with it? Tyrell seems like it's finally getting some love. New Marge is awesome, as is their new Event.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Anyone interested in The Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame adventure packs for LOTR? Figured I would let someone here have a chance before I put them on ebay.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Anyone interested in The Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame adventure packs for LOTR? Figured I would let someone here have a chance before I put them on ebay.

Me, i'm in the UK though in case that's a problem. PM me a price?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

http://imgur.com/vcIWq7H

3 is kinda a lot for an attachment, but STR 4 or lower is a hell of a high threshold.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

http://imgur.com/vcIWq7H

3 is kinda a lot for an attachment, but STR 4 or lower is a hell of a high threshold.

I think it compares well against Ice. Doesn't add a str bonus, but triggers off a ton more and doesn't go away.

Night's Watch appears to be getting an abundance of riches. It's gonna be hard to decide what exactly to play and what ends up actually being effective. Each of the sub-factions (rangers, stewards, builders) seem to be getting some solid support.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/ETXWA/status/841806806506733568

Lead designer Nate French, who I think also did Conquest (:rip:) and Game of Thrones.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Lead designer Nate French, who I think also did Conquest (:rip:) and Game of Thrones.

Nate is who I wanted from day one so I am insanely happy. He did Arkham Horror as well, one of the best solo card games ever made IMO.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LordNat posted:

Nate is who I wanted from day one so I am insanely happy. He did Arkham Horror as well, one of the best solo card games ever made IMO.

He also did Lord of the Rings LCG which is another of the best solo card games ever made

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They also tweeted that two cores are needed for competitive LotFR play, so I wonder how many cards they're stuffing in that box.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They also tweeted that two cores are needed for competitive LotFR play, so I wonder how many cards they're stuffing in that box.

Maybe they're going the AH/Destiny route and limiting to two copies?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's better than 3 like Netrunner and GoT.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm hoping the 2 cores means that they're still splitting dynasty and fate into two decks. While I hope they rework the provinces idea a bit, I liked having one deck for people and econ, and another deck for attachments and action cards.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I think it compares well against Ice. Doesn't add a str bonus, but triggers off a ton more and doesn't go away.

Night's Watch appears to be getting an abundance of riches. It's gonna be hard to decide what exactly to play and what ends up actually being effective. Each of the sub-factions (rangers, stewards, builders) seem to be getting some solid support.

Each even the chapter packs have had some monster cards (Halfhand, Craster), its nuts. I just hope I see less of the 'sit and win' with The Wall decks that seem to be really popular.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Each even the chapter packs have had some monster cards (Halfhand, Craster), its nuts. I just hope I see less of the 'sit and win' with The Wall decks that seem to be really popular.

As someone who likes the sit and win The Wall decks, I have to say that it's a hell of an uphill climb if you don't draw into The Wall.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

As someone who likes the sit and win The Wall decks, I have to say that it's a hell of an uphill climb if you don't draw into The Wall.

I don't think it's too powerful I'm not a fan of them.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
As someone who knows next to nothing about Legend of the Five Rings, why should I be excited about the upcoming LCG? For reference, I find the GoT LCG and its fluff boring as all hell, and I really, really love the Arkham Horror LCG and its design and theme integration so far while simultaneously being pretty lukewarm on the Cthulhu mythos itself.

I ask because I am genuinely curious and may be interested in getting in on the ground floor of a card game with a competitive scene.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

As someone who knows next to nothing about Legend of the Five Rings, why should I be excited about the upcoming LCG? For reference, I find the GoT LCG and its fluff boring as all hell, and I really, really love the Arkham Horror LCG and its design and theme integration so far while simultaneously being pretty lukewarm on the Cthulhu mythos itself.

I ask because I am genuinely curious and may be interested in getting in on the ground floor of a card game with a competitive scene.

Really hard to say at this point since we know nothing of the new game. Most of the hype around it is centered on the history of the game and it's setting.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The really cool thing throughout LOT5R various implementations was how players could affect its story and the way that would trickle down into effects on the gameplay, so we'll have to see how that goes with Fantasy Flight.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Phoenix clan was the best clan. I have sooooo many cards in my basement! I am going to Gencon this year just to relive my youth with L5R.

Please let there be a Night Medallion.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I miss playing L5R so much, if someone, ANYONE, wants to give me (or sell) some L5R cards I would be eternally grateful!!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Really hard to say at this point since we know nothing of the new game. Most of the hype around it is centered on the history of the game and it's setting.

I suppose this is what I'm curious about. Even just in the few responses in the short time since I posted this folks have expressed their reverence for an IP I know nothing about beyond selling some interesting looking booster tins and hardcover books for the old (but not oldest) CCG and RPG.

What's interesting about the setting? What were the old mechanics like? Obviously something of the old CCG will carry over into the new one, so what would be the cool things you'd like to see show up?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The game seemed to have like 8 houses/tribes, putting it on par with GoT for variety. It also had two separate decks or something, right? That's a pretty cool and unique game feature.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I suppose this is what I'm curious about. Even just in the few responses in the short time since I posted this folks have expressed their reverence for an IP I know nothing about beyond selling some interesting looking booster tins and hardcover books for the old (but not oldest) CCG and RPG.

What's interesting about the setting? What were the old mechanics like? Obviously something of the old CCG will carry over into the new one, so what would be the cool things you'd like to see show up?

A lot of the interest in the old game was because of the semi-generic feudal japanese setting. They also for a long time actually had players determine story events which would get implemented in both the fluff and the cards (and occasionally mechanics), which helped really create a devoted community. Many of the big tournaments would get 100+ people (think roughly the equivalent of more frequent regionals for FFG's current games), and you'd have prizes not just for overall winner, but for top of clan winner (so you'd typically have decent representation not just for the "best" decks/clans, but for all applicable clans). Some major things included creation of new major clans (Mantis and Spider), new strongholds (which worked similar to the identity cards in Netrunner if you're familiar with that game), and a lot of character changes/development. You also had a lot of the story embedded right in the cards. Also each clan had it's own personality and feel for the most part.

Mechanically, you in general had multiple ways of winning-military, winning with honor, winning by dishonoring your opponent, and enlightenment (on top of some niche card-based victory conditions). Not all of these were equal in power (typically honor or military would be the most common, with occasional times where the others got extremely powerful support that made them generally broken), but they were all in play so you had many different ways you could win. With the differences in clans, this lead to a lot of different playstyles-control, aggro military, honor rush, dueling based person kill, "switch" decks, etc etc. Basically, everything was character based-they would attack, they were in general your main way of gaining honor, they typically would be used to perform any actions that you took . Your cards were separated into two decks-your dynasty deck held your economy (in the form of holdings, permanent locations that gave gold or other effects occasionally), your characters, and events which were powerful one-time effects. Your fate deck had all the different things that attached to characters (followers, spells, items), as well as actions that you took or that modified characters/made them do actions. Dynasty cards were revealed in your provinces (4 at the start of the game, but could be eliminated with military challenges) so military victory helped you win by denying potential resources on top of being a path to victory. Also combat was extremely deadly-the losing side of the battle lost everything in the battle (characters and attachments). The age of the game and design also gave it tons of depth. However, it's age also gave it lots of times when it was somewhat stagnant due to design decisions in a particular card cycle. Overall it's probably my favorite 1v1 card game ever (V:tES is my fav ever, and I wish FFG would've picked up that license instead of paradox games but that's a whole different thing).

And from rUmOrS I've heard, the new game currently only has surface similarities to the old. For better or worse it seems to be largely it's own thing. 7 clans to start.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

The really cool thing throughout LOT5R various implementations was how players could affect its story and the way that would trickle down into effects on the gameplay, so we'll have to see how that goes with Fantasy Flight.

Please no. The only good part of that was making idiots with clan mons tattooed on their flabby bicep tear up because you were going to use your Kotei win to kill off their Waifu because a forum gathered a few hundred dollars in bounty.

On second thought bring that poo poo hard.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd guess we're going to see something along the lines of the Chronos Protocol tour for L5R where players get to vote and winners get more votes.

The problem with clan loyalty back in the day was designers showing favoritism and certain clans being imbalanced from the start due to the win conditions being imbalanced. Enlightenment, achieved by putting all 5 rings into play, and Dishonor both required ridiculous levels of card support and the best versions were typically bomb decks that depending on the meta cards were either broken as all hell or noncompetitive. Honor and Military were the core strategies of the game but really its just military because every clan can do military either offensive or defensive but it was impossible for some clans to do honor.

Honor was kind of a lovely win condition because it has long been hindered by being a solitare game, similar to the "Sit on my Wall" deck mentioned earlier. Ironically there was a Crab deck in Gold Edition that did nothing but sit on their wall(The Crab clan sits on the Great Wall defending it against Mongolians Oni) and gain honor which just defending itself with fortifications and a high province strength. I saw in recent years that they tried to make honor decks more interactive but the years of watching a Crane player gain 8-10 honor a turn and not defend provinces until the last one while I wondered where my "In Time of War" was, have scarred me.

I trust FFG, although I gotta say the more Night's Watch cards I see coming the more I hope that they keep that in check.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'll be curious to see how they clean up things like the Rule of Presence. Also, here's hoping they keep the idea of Strongholds, since those went a long way towards making L5R unique (for the time). Since ANR has identity cards I'm sure they'll keep those in mind.

Also, as much as I enjoyed Kakita (the Kami) and Kyuden Bayushi/Tishi hand denial dueling I really hope they've learned from that. The focus pool was an interesting way of tackling it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

dexefiend posted:

Please let there be a Night Medallion.

Yes please! "Yoritomo now wields FOUR Bloodswords!"

Flaggy posted:

I miss playing L5R so much, if someone, ANYONE, wants to give me (or sell) some L5R cards I would be eternally grateful!!

I might be able to arrange something. How would we coordinate this? I played L5R in a short window from somewhere around the release of...uh...Jade Edition? Until just before whichever edition it was where they changed the card backs away from the interlocking rings. I bought a lot of older packs though so I have a lot of old-back stuff, a fair amount of pre-Day Of Thunder, a lot of Hidden Emperor, a ton of that last arc before the change. I was happy to get a copy of Battle at Beiden Pass and I think I have four or five Black Scrolls. Maybe I can shoot you a picture of the collection.

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with clan loyalty back in the day was designers showing favoritism and certain clans being imbalanced from the start due to the win conditions being imbalanced.

Oh man tell me about it. Crane clan was just so perfect at everything, uguu~~, and I will never stop blaming Ree Soesbee for that whole mess. "Iron Cranes" fixing the Clan's big weakness of being limp-wristed courtiers, humph. I don't think it's coincidence either that Lion, Crane's rival, never got anything worth a poo poo after they took Matsu Gohei aggro away from them. Note: I was a veeerrryy long way from being a meta-knowing tournament player in my L5R days so my evaluations of what was OP and who was responsible are probably horribly off.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Not to relive the past too much, but the amount of sheer joy I derived from Isawa Tsuke 2 with a Night Medallion and a Bloodsword was unhealthy (+1 chi every time he straigtens!).

Also Isawa Sze and Sympathetic Energies in my Rampant Plague multiplayer deck.

I am really looking forward to the new version, and I hope they improve it without gutting the old system. :allears:

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

Yes please! "Yoritomo now wields FOUR Bloodswords!"

I might be able to arrange something. How would we coordinate this? I played L5R in a short window from somewhere around the release of...uh...Jade Edition? Until just before whichever edition it was where they changed the card backs away from the interlocking rings. I bought a lot of older packs though so I have a lot of old-back stuff, a fair amount of pre-Day Of Thunder, a lot of Hidden Emperor, a ton of that last arc before the change. I was happy to get a copy of Battle at Beiden Pass and I think I have four or five Black Scrolls. Maybe I can shoot you a picture of the collection.

Oh man tell me about it. Crane clan was just so perfect at everything, uguu~~, and I will never stop blaming Ree Soesbee for that whole mess. "Iron Cranes" fixing the Clan's big weakness of being limp-wristed courtiers, humph. I don't think it's coincidence either that Lion, Crane's rival, never got anything worth a poo poo after they took Matsu Gohei aggro away from them. Note: I was a veeerrryy long way from being a meta-knowing tournament player in my L5R days so my evaluations of what was OP and who was responsible are probably horribly off.

drat thats alot of cards, shoot me a PM, or email me at removed. thanks!

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 4, 2020

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Let's see, going forward to diamond/lotus period.

Crab was okay, strictly military.
Crane was strong in honor and military, due to courtiers or scouts paired with God mode dueling.
Dragon was laughable, military or enlightenment.
Lion was very good. They were never going to be as strong as back in 30/30 LSD (Lion Speed Deck) days but they got a lot of movement tricks and in combat shenanigans. Fit well with "the tactics" clan.
Mantis got sea serpents. They were a good rogue deck that showed well from time to time.
Phoenix were (understandably) kept pretty low to the ground. Due to the Shugenja/spell heaviness of the clan, they were either underpowered or uniquely broken depending on spell value. The second clan that could reliably enlighten out, but +1-2 turns compared to Dragon. Who were already 1-2 turns slow.
Scorpion, the dev's ninja waifus, were strong as always. KB dueling, stupid ninjutsu mechanic, dishonor appearing again briefly, viable honor deck. Oh, and the utterly broken Hidden Catacombs/Shokushu No Oni turn 2-3 win deck that made me quit the playtest group after we uncovered it and the higher ups didn't emergency errata it until they took down three big tournaments.
Shadowlands had Military, and big effing dudes. Could be terrifying if you weren't a control deck, were kind of pushovers if you were.
Unicorn were either the laughing stock of the game or utterly broken. For the most part, cavalry was an overcosted mechanic that let you take 2-3 free provinces but then didn't help you close out the game. Then there was the Khol Wall, an utterly insane stronghold that enabled running 7 personalities that all were insanely undercosted for what their stats ended up being.

Honestly, Diamond and Lotus were a lot more evenly balanced than you'd expect. The two major weak clans (Dragon and Phoenix) were a result of being overly cautious because of alternate wincons. Crane, Lion, and Scorpion were definitely the favored children.

Of course, all of this shifted regularly. Each set focused on three factions, with minimal support for the other groups.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I played end of gold to end of diamond and end of lotus into samurai so I missed a chunk in between. I remember Khol Wall being ridiculous. As for Dragon being bad, when I started I remember having to shell out $70 for a play set of Prayers and Blessings, and getting my rear end handed to me by Chuichi, aka Bruce Lee, as he 1-mans provinces with Chasing Osano-wo. Scorpion seemed alright at the beginning of Diamond as Kaukastu Dishonor bomb was great, but as the ridiculous honor gains of the Crane grew out of control that deck fell to the wayside and Scorpion military never quite got there.

Unicorn have always sadly been on the downward slope because anytime they got some heat, bitching about Calvary grew louder. For the worse, Unicorn being tied to that mechanic was both the thing that made them great but also held them back. I liked playing the Honor Maiden decks that they got later on, mostly because I liked Switch and found that was a good compliment to Unicorn's ability to crush early provinces.

Lion were pretty good back in early Diamond, less so when I got back in at the end of Lotus. They neutered tactics and the toolbox deck that I loved during the Diamond era was far less good.

Crab back in the early Diamond days were pretty boring but always a tough match-up simply because they could crush provinces with a pair of guys. They lacked tricks though so you usually knew what you were in for, it was just a matter of dealing with it.

The only time I remember Phoenix being actually good was in Samurai a couple sets in, I heard that their ability to summon the dragons went from a neat new mechanic to "Holy gently caress the dragon have multiple +10 GC dragons on the board and one of them is Void so there goes my hand. GG."

Shadowlands back in Diamond was kind of a gimmick that nobody in our group played, and I rarely ran into at tournaments, though I did run into 1 at the first tournament I went to playing Dishonor bomb and it was basically an autolose and why I played Unicorn at the second tournament I went to. When Spider became a clan I was irked because they stole Ninjas and dishonor courtiers from Scorpion, they also stole Monks from Dragon so two of the clans I liked were getting their mechanics split into the "new" clan.

There were a few points where I remember enlightenment decks being a thing but typically either there would be a way to cheat a tough ring into play which made enlightenment too easy so poo poo would win for a bit then get banned, or enlightenment was 2-3 turns too slow against military and honor would just laugh at you trying to play Fire(the dueling version) by its game text.

Still a lot of good memories from the Diamond period. I got into L5R after getting my expensive magic cards stolen. We had a player from just about every clan in our group. We had 1 Scorpion, 1 Crab, 1 Unicorn, 2 Dragons, 1 Lion, 1 Mantis, then my friend and I played a mix of different things, though I was more Scorpion and he was more Lion at the time.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I've never played L5R but I'm very excited and will definitely play the upcoming LCG. Phoenix and Scorpion seem to be what I'd like so I hope they're good!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right there with you. Scorpion clan supremacy, Shosuro family forever.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I feel quite fortunate to have gotten (back) into the CCG when Samurai Edition came out. There was some broken poo poo (almost all dating from the end of the previous block, which had an utterly ridiculous power level), but the rules were cleaner and the design team strode the best line between balance and power that I ever experienced with L5R. The internet drama and salt around the race for the throne (the story meta-game at the time) was top-tier. Celestial Edition didn't quite have the same magic to the gameplay, but it's card templating was incredible:

There were some clunkers in art, especially actions and followers, but when you put the good artists' work into the Celestial card templates it looks amazing.

We'll see if the LCG can live up to the original game's legacy. I doubt it; L5R existed within a tangle of flavorful but terrible fundamental rules. Fixing those rules is necessary to make it work as a new game, but it'll also rip the guts out of the "feel" - and frankly, L5R wasn't that special as a pure game. The feel of the setting and the draw of clan identity are what kept the game alive for so long in a market dominated by Magic.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 17, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love that art, drat. I'm sure FFG will do a great job on the art, but I really hope they keep that same style.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Right there with you. Scorpion clan supremacy, Shosuro family forever.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Corbeau posted:

We'll see if the LCG can live up to the original game's legacy. I doubt it; L5R existed within a tangle of flavorful but terrible fundamental rules. Fixing those rules is necessary to make it work as a new game, but it'll also rip the guts out of the "feel" - and frankly, L5R wasn't that special as a pure game. The feel of the setting and the draw of clan identity are what kept the game alive for so long in a market dominated by Magic.
I don't think the original rules are nearly as bad as you seem to make them out to be, and compared to most card games they're actually pretty good. I do agree that a lot of the setting and clan identity kept the game around a long time though-I can't think of any other card game that survived as long (maybe pokemon? can't remember when that first came out). I also agree the card templating was amazing-first I maybe preferred to the original.