Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If Geno Smith started for the Giants I'd be begging for the sweet release of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lynch getting one last burst of beast mode on the raiders would be pretty awesome.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm seriously so emotionally invested rn

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Turns out they're the only team to have never started a black qb.

http://www.si.com/nfl/list-first-black-starting-quarterback-every-team

:laffo: Warren Moon is the entry for 4 or 5 teams.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

I'm seriously so emotionally invested rn

Same.

Eltoasto posted:

Lynch getting one last burst of beast mode on the raiders would be pretty awesome.

I can't decide what would be better: Lynch getting the Raiders a ring, or Lynch fumbling the ball on a goal-to-go carry, costing the Raiders a Super Bowl.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Same.

I can't decide what would be better: Lynch getting the Raiders a ring, or Lynch fumbling the ball on a goal-to-go carry, costing the Raiders a Super Bowl.

The latter, to the Seahawks :stonk:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol the seahawks aren't getting to the SB

Anyway Lynch would be a great one-year pickup for the Raiders. Jalen Richard is looking very promising but needs another year of development behind an experienced back, and DeAndre Washington seems reasonably OK as a longer-term backup/relief guy, too. They're both solid enough that Lynch would not need to play as many snaps as he did in his last years with Seattle. It feels to me like a really good fit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway Lynch would be a great one-year pickup for the Raiders. Jalen Richard is looking very promising but needs another year of development behind an experienced back, and DeAndre Washington seems reasonably OK as a longer-term backup/relief guy, too. They're both solid enough that Lynch would not need to play as many snaps as he did in his last years with Seattle. It feels to me like a really good fit.

Lynch is also a good pass blocker and has made huge improvements as a receiver. Not to mention being a local hero who could motivate a disillusioned fanbase as well as being the kind of veteran mentor that teammates gush about. This seems like an amazing signing for everyone involved.

oldskool posted:

The latter, to the Seahawks :stonk:

Man, I wouldn't even want that to happen. I think I'm a Marshawn fan first, Hawks second.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I just say as a Pats fan I would absolutely love Geno to Giants and I wish you guys many productive years together :)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

warcrimes posted:

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/842747071614607360

That's the second player to turn down more money from Minnesota to sign elsewhere. What's up, Viking goons?

- If you believe Rhett Ellison's dad, the Vikings have a toxic leadership who made players to practice too hard during the season.
- It could be the unknown offensive identity. While Shurmur was the interim OC, the playbook was still an amalgamation of Norv's old schemes, some WCO stuff with Shurmur and a preference to rely more on the run than they should.
- Or it's just a matter of desired opportunity. With Alshon, we only know he was being offered a higher guarantee after year one of the contract. Considering he settled on a one-year deal, it's possible it just wasn't to his liking and he'd rather try again next year. With Cook, regardless of what he got, he was going to be #2 TE behind Rudolph.

I wouldn't dismiss any of the three as being unlikely.

e: Cook was also a case of having more guaranteed money in his offer, but not a given it was a higher value deal. The total value/incentives package could just have just been the better deal from Oakland, too.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 17, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WHOOPS posted:

- If you believe Rhett Ellison's dad, the Vikings have a toxic leadership who made players to practice too hard during the season.
- It could be the unknown offensive identity. While Shurmur was the interim OC, the playbook was still an amalgamation of Norv's old schemes, some WCO stuff with Shurmur and a preference to rely more on the run than they should.
- Or it's just a matter of desired opportunity. With Alshon, we only know he was being offered a higher guarantee after year one of the contract. Considering he settled on a one-year deal, it's possible it just wasn't to his liking and he'd rather try again next year. With Cook, regardless of what he got, he was going to be #2 TE behind Rudolph.

I wouldn't dismiss any of the three as being unlikely.

Also they have to live in Minnesota during the winter

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chichevache posted:

He started a game in the year 2000 :stare:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I mean, they were coming from Chicago and Green Bay, respectively. Not exactly like they were used to the tropics.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WHOOPS posted:

I mean, they were coming from Chicago and Green Bay, respectively. Not exactly like they were used to the tropics.

But they're going to the tropics afterwards, coincidence? I think not :v:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/842807526785662976

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Cool, some initial reports had it being north of 17 a year. Cheaper than vernon.

Wonder if it is structured in a similar way with a low year one cap hit to give them some flexibility now to make another move.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Iodised QQ posted:

Cool, some initial reports had it being north of 17 a year. Cheaper than vernon.

Wonder if it is structured in a similar way with a low year one cap hit to give them some flexibility now to make another move.

So how did he play last season? I'm at work so I can only get away with watching so much YouTube

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Warren Moon fuckin owns and played for a billion drat years.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Freaking early 90's Oilers would have been to at least one Super Bowl if they didn't gently caress around in the playoffs every single year.

We'll always have Tecmo Super Bowl.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LEGO Genetics posted:

Freaking early 90's Oilers would have been to at least one Super Bowl if they didn't gently caress around in the playoffs every single year.

We'll always have Tecmo Super Bowl.

Glanville and Pardee were such godawful coaches

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Glanville and Pardee were such godawful coaches

Imagine being the guy who traded away Brett Favre because you loved Chris Miller and his head head that cracked open like an egg every few weeks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Warren Moon would easily be considered one of the greatest QB's of all time if the NFL wasn't so incompetent as to force him to gently caress off to the CFL for a decade.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really doubt Favre would have Favred if he had stayed on the Falcons, even if Glanville had actually put effort into him instead of making GBS threads all over him and keeping him as a benchwarmer. Holmgren played a huge part in Favre's development as a quarterback.

Also,

Kalli posted:

Warren Moon would easily be considered one of the greatest QB's of all time if the NFL wasn't so incompetent as to force him to gently caress off to the CFL for a decade.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalli posted:

6 CFL seasons, in which his team won the Grey Cup 5 consecutive times and he broke about every single season passing record there was at the time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Imagine being the guy who traded away Brett Favre because you loved Chris Miller and his head head that cracked open like an egg every few weeks.

Well also because Brett was an out of shape alcoholic lunatic

Kalli posted:

And speaking of Favre, Moon was the original funslinger

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/842835177676181504

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's good to be an NFL owner.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

John Brown posted:

So how did he play last season? I'm at work so I can only get away with watching so much YouTube

He was good. No concerns about his hand anymore, he has no problem holding his own at the point of attack or shedding blocks. The big concern obviously would be him actually being able to match the strength of NFL OTs but he's still a very plus run defender.

Most of his sacks came in a stretch against bad teams but at the same time I thought he was a consistently good player all season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It has literally no influence on the owner cash spending, but means that players who actually continually play on a high level will earn more than streaky players who catch teams in a bad spot.

I don't get why people don't understand that the NFL has a very robust hard cap - which is the real reason why it's good to be an NFL owner.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Intruder posted:

Well also because Brett was an out of shape alcoholic lunatic

And speaking of Favre, Moon was the original funslinger

Yeah Atlanta was probably jumping for joy that a team offered a first rounder for their drunken third string qb.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hand Row posted:

Yeah Atlanta was probably jumping for joy that a team offered a first rounder for their drunken third string qb.

I highly recommend reading the book Gunslinger. Great book about Brett Farve and his career.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I'm bummed the Dolphins first black QB was Ray Lucas and not Cleo Lemon. Just one more thing Jay Fiedler screwed up.

You rule Cleo!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans are the most progressive team, had a black QB start in their second year of existence :smug:

Tony Banks and Rodney Peete are each on that list twice :lol:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

More like its good to be at the top 5 at your position.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Lately I've been watching Three Kingdoms, a chinese live action tv show, and it's made me realize that the NFL is basically Romance of the 32 Kingdoms. We live in times of heroes and villains, legends and myths.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Warren moon didn't get an NFL job and had to go to the cfl because of racism . It was very blatant at the time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Lately I've been watching Three Kingdoms, a chinese live action tv show, and it's made me realize that the NFL is basically Romance of the 32 Kingdoms. We live in times of heroes and villains, legends and myths.

Three Kingdoms owns. Cao Cao is basically Bill Belichick.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

FAT BATMAN posted:

I feel like years of playing dynasty warriors and watching the NFL have collided

Pete Carroll is Lui Bei

Derek Carr is Gan Ning

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FAT BATMAN posted:

I love that AMC show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

euphronius posted:

Warren moon didn't get an NFL job and had to go to the cfl because of racism . It was very blatant at the time.

No poo poo???? wow

• Locked thread