Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

alright so what's this place you can repair the hylian shield at? do i need to get the thing before the town starts existing?

There's a dude sitting on a roof in Terrey Town who'll sell it and some armor you'd otherwise have to look for (but which you can get through other means.) You can probably get the shield or the town in whatever order, but I don't know when the dude shows up other than "definitely by the time you complete the quest."

You can get Terrey Town by buying a house, talking to the dudes you bought it from, then following that quest line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Crikey, the Lynel who had this hit like a loving truck.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Music Theory posted:

There's a dude sitting on a roof in Terrey Town who'll sell it and some armor you'd otherwise have to look for (but which you can get through other means.) You can probably get the shield or the town in whatever order, but I don't know when the dude shows up other than "definitely by the time you complete the quest."

You can get Terrey Town by buying a house, talking to the dudes you bought it from, then following that quest line.

I've got him (and I don't think he showed up before I got Tarrey Town completed) but he's not offering me the shield, just the climber and rubber sets, so you probably have to find the shield before he'll replace it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

Holy poo poo, getting hit with that if you had no armor would do 24 and a half hearts worth of damage :eyepop:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

I've got him (and I don't think he showed up before I got Tarrey Town completed) but he's not offering me the shield, just the climber and rubber sets, so you probably have to find the shield before he'll replace it.

This is true. You have to acquire it before he'll sell you a replacement of it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went looking for the Leviathan skeleton in the desert, found a skull with like 10 black Bokoblins in it. "How the heck am I supposed to handle this?" I thought to myself.

Then I got a brilliant idea.

Earlier I got a Lynel bow with 5-shot so I equipped that with bomb arrows, jumped through the eye of the skull and.... my poor framerate :qq: My screen was filled with explosions in a glorious 2 fps murderfest, and when I landed and the smoke (and my fps) cleared they were all dead. GOTY.

also found the last fairy, she's glorious :swoon: Max upgrade animation sure is something!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've become a master at killing Lynels of all types due to farming them for berserker upgrades, but still somehow have trouble with any Lizalfos except for the normal ones around Zora's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Look at these chumps playing without using Pro mode UI :cheeky:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

God drat, I just did Thyphlo Ruins :stare: What a place.

Fighting the Hinox in the dark was extremely cool

FiftySeven posted:

Holy gently caress. :eyepop:
Wonder how high it's possible for weapon strength to go, if it caps at 99 or what.

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, getting hit with that if you had no armor would do 24 and a half hearts worth of damage :eyepop:

So, 1 damage value=a quarter heart then? And I guess Armor works like Enemy Weapon Strength-Your Armor Value=Final damage.
How much defense are armor buffs from potions worth? And for that matter, how much attack are attack buffs worth?

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Look at these chumps playing without using Pro mode UI :cheeky:

I turned Pro UI on and the shrine sensor off for my second playthrough. It's nice, I'm not regretting it.

Music Theory posted:

For the record, you have to both 1. acquire it, and 2. break it before it'll show up as something you can buy from him-- it pretty much works the same as those champion weapons in that regard. And confirmed it doesn't matter the order of acquisition, you can walk in and grab the shield as your literal first stop out of the plateau if you want

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I turned Pro UI on and the shrine sensor off for my second playthrough. It's nice, I'm not regretting it.

I especially don't like the symbols for the divine beast powers, they take up lots of screen space and you really don't need them.

"Daruk's protection is now ready!" is all I need :3:

If I really need the map I just pause real quick, but playing without a constant mini-map makes the adventure feel all the more real.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Runcible Cat posted:

And keep in mind you only have to find it. I opened the chest with the Shield in it and had no room for it, leaving it there for now, and he still had the option to sell me one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still want a small compass in pro HUD mode (just put it where the minimap would be in the normal HUD), and some indication of which rune I have selected (maybe make the Sheikah slate subtly glow with that color, like magenta for Magnesis or yellow for Stasis, so it doesn't need to be a UI element?). Also, being able to zoom in and out with the Sheikah slate's scope would be helpful because its default (and apparently only) zoom level is sometimes too far in when I'm looking around for pins I've placed.

Give me those, and I'll use the pro HUD all the time. As it is, I find it leads to me pausing more than I would with the normal HUD, at which point it's kind of a wash as to which is more obtrusive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I especially don't like the symbols for the divine beast powers, they take up lots of screen space and you really don't need them.

"Daruk's protection is now ready!" is all I need :3:

If I really need the map I just pause real quick, but playing without a constant mini-map makes the adventure feel all the more real.

Yeah I've been playing with the Pro UI almost exclusively, only ever turning it on for a few minutes when a new element is introduced like the Champion Blessings. I haven't found a need for the minimap at all, I don't like following on-screen objective markers at all times and so I found the minimap completely useless even when turned on, it only shows a small range around you and I only ever needed the map to look at the region as a whole, what roads to follow, where I still needed to explore, etc. Occasionally I would use it to find that annoying weapons kid in Hateno who is always running around like an idiot. Noise measurement is perfectly intuitive, there are easy on-screen indicators for temperature, I have the shrine radar turned on most of the time but when it's on it shows up regardless of HUD mode, and there are audio cues for when champion powers are recharged.
I legit almost jumped out of my seat when I was exploring the Akkala Labyrinth during an in-game thunderstorm and I suddenly heard "DARUK'S PROTECTION IS READY!" I spun Link around, sword drawn, ready to face a Lynel or something baring down on me.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 17, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

So, 1 damage value=a quarter heart then? And I guess Armor works like Enemy Weapon Strength-Your Armor Value=Final damage.
How much defense are armor buffs from potions worth? And for that matter, how much attack are attack buffs worth?

Yes, each heart is 4 HP. And exactly, armor is just flat damage reduction. Enemy weapon does 40 damage, you have 36 armor, you take 4 damage (1 heart). If your armor is higher than the incoming damage, you take a quarter heart (1 damage) as the minimum. Meanwhile, enemies don't have armor, so your attacks always do exactly as much damage as your weapon says, with the exception of critical hits and weapon break hits (extra damage) or enemies that are immune to that kind of attack (like the mini Taluses who are immune to weapons).

No idea how much defense and attack the elixir buffs are. I did notice it seemed like a rank 2 damage buff made my attacks do something like 60% extra damage but I'm not sure if it's a percentile increase or a flat increase, since I only used one weapon during that fight and didn't pay that close of attention.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For me I just realized that I don't actually use any of the UI features other than looking at my health, so Pro didn't really change anything :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

For me I just realized that I don't actually use any of the UI features other than looking at my health, so Pro didn't really change anything :v:

I use the minimap pretty regularly when it's there, though the way I use it is actually closer to how I'd use the compass in a game like Skyrim. I don't look at it often, but when I do, it's mostly to make sure I'm moving in the direction of a pin I've set. If it was just a compass like Skyrim or Horizon Zero Dawn, with little markers in the directions where I've placed pins, it'd be exactly as useful to me as it is now and smaller/less obtrusive on top of that.

Being able to see pins through the scope is even better, though, so if I just had a compass that indicated which way was north, combined with being able to zoom in and out in the scope, I wouldn't need any of the minimap's features.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

I use the minimap pretty regularly when it's there, though the way I use it is actually closer to how I'd use the compass in a game like Skyrim. I don't look at it often, but when I do, it's mostly to make sure I'm moving in the direction of a pin I've set. If it was just a compass like Skyrim or Horizon Zero Dawn, with little markers in the directions where I've placed pins, it'd be exactly as useful to me as it is now and smaller/less obtrusive on top of that.

Being able to see pins through the scope is even better, though, so if I just had a compass that indicated which way was north, combined with being able to zoom in and out in the scope, I wouldn't need any of the minimap's features.

I can often determine which way north is just using Death Mountain and Hyrule Castle as a reference. That becomes a good bit tougher, of course, in areas with tall cliffs that limit your view, and it's easy to lose track of your location when you're interrupted by an intense battle. Maybe there are spots on the map you could put pins where you can see them in first person from most areas and be able to use them as a makeshift compass?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Your Computer posted:

I went looking for the Leviathan skeleton in the desert, found a skull with like 10 black Bokoblins in it. "How the heck am I supposed to handle this?" I thought to myself.

Then I got a brilliant idea.

Earlier I got a Lynel bow with 5-shot so I equipped that with bomb arrows, jumped through the eye of the skull and.... my poor framerate :qq: My screen was filled with explosions in a glorious 2 fps murderfest, and when I landed and the smoke (and my fps) cleared they were all dead. GOTY.

also found the last fairy, she's glorious :swoon: Max upgrade animation sure is something!

Have you met the Horse Fairy yet? Yikes. I was not expecting that. :stare:

Very, very cool though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This video does a great job explaining why I prefer to turn the minimap off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOCkXsyIqo

If you get lost, being able to get directed to the next thing you're doing is great. I want that. I hate getting stuck for a really long time (although these days you can google for almost anything).

But if its there all the time, even when you don't ask for it, then you just end up using that as a crutch and playing by following waypoints instead of actually reading the game world. And really good games like BOTW or Witcher 3 have enough good level design and landmarks and things that you don't really need all the direction.

So Pro works perfect. Most of the time I'm on my own, trying to get where I need to be based on what people say to me and what I see. But if I get lost, then I just press start and boom, there's the map.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy gently caress I just fought two stalker guardians at once using Epona, Triple-shot Bomb Arrows, and the Master Sword all together. That was so awesome, it felt just like that first trailer when the game was still "Zelda Wii U"

Game loving owns.

(The Champion and Hylian clothes should really have set bonuses assigned to them, considering they're the most prominent outfits from the marketing of the game. Maybe even let the Champion tunic act as a substitute for the Hylian tunic in getting that set bonus)

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 17, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like minimaps

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Augus posted:

Hu gently caress I just fought two stalker guardians at once using Epona, Triple-shot Bomb Arrows, and the Master Sword all together. That was so awesome, it felt just like that first trailer when the game was still "Zelda Wii U"

Game loving owns.

Everybody called bullshit on that E3 trailer but Nintendo really did somehow deliver on the promise of that cinematic. You can ride around huuuuuge open grass fields on a horse, jump up and then slow-motion shoot an unfolding ancient arrow to blow up a guardian. Its real.

Regy Rusty posted:

I like minimaps

To each his own :shrug:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Ask me about getting oneshotted in near-fully upgraded ancient armor by a silver Lynel with a 107 damage club.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you met the Horse Fairy yet? Yikes. I was not expecting that. :stare:

Very, very cool though.

Yeah, that was unexpected! Love the theme though :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But if its there all the time, even when you don't ask for it, then you just end up using that as a crutch and playing by following waypoints instead of actually reading the game world. And really good games like BOTW or Witcher 3 have enough good level design and landmarks and things that you don't really need all the direction.

So Pro works perfect. Most of the time I'm on my own, trying to get where I need to be based on what people say to me and what I see. But if I get lost, then I just press start and boom, there's the map.

I think I don't feel this quite as strongly with Breath of the Wild because, thanks to the good world design, I don't look at the minimap very often, even when it's there. When I do, it's often to confirm which direction I'm heading, or to make sure I'm still heading in the direction of a pin that I placed. In some games my eyes are definitely glued to the minimap, but that never happens in this, so I don't feel that need to turn it off. If I just had a little compass there, I wouldn't feel the need for a minimap in the slightest. (And yes, I know I can use geography to estimate what direction I'm heading, but that's a huge pain in the rear end and I can't see things like Death Mountain if I'm in a forest or something. And yes I know it's realistic to lose your way in a forest, but I have a loving magical iPad, I should have a compass. And what if I'm on Death Mountain?)

I also don't like that Breath of the Wild takes such an all-or-nothing approach with its HUD. I want to turn things on and off individually. If I had my way, I'd keep the compass, the icon showing which rune I currently have selected (because, unlike weapons and shields, there's no way I can see that on Link's character model), and hearts, and that's it. But the Pro HUD takes away two of those three HUD elements and often I find that just makes me pause more than I would if I was using the normal HUD, so it's kind of a wash as to whether the Pro HUD is less obtrusive. Maybe I'd keep the in-game time on the HUD, too, because I find I pause to check that fairly often, too, for quests when the exact time actually matters (like a couple of Kass's shrine quests).

Also, the Sheikah scope isn't as usable as it could be. Unless I'm really missing something, the inability to adjust its zoom is baffling to me, especially because you can adjust the camera rune's zoom just fine. Sometimes when I get up high and use the scope to look for pins (because they're too short to be seen over hills or trees), I'm zoomed in so far that I have to scan around longer than I want to find the pins, where if I could zoom out I'd find it right away.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does anyone know what the game wants from me up on Ulria Grotto, right to the west of all the Tingel and his brother islands? There's a shrine I cannot find for the life of me as well as dozens of boulders, both rock and metal, and a place with multiple sledgehammers. I've tried golfing some of the rocks but there's no clear point where it wants me to launch them and nothing has worked so far.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Took me a while to figure that one out too. The rocks and hammers are a red herring. Keep looking around.

E: for an actual clue, examine the sheer cliff faces closely all the way around.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

Does anyone know what the game wants from me up on Ulria Grotto, right to the west of all the Tingel and his brother islands? There's a shrine I cannot find for the life of me as well as dozens of boulders, both rock and metal, and a place with multiple sledgehammers. I've tried golfing some of the rocks but there's no clear point where it wants me to launch them and nothing has worked so far.

If it's the lake area that's sunken into the ground a bit There's a bombable wall on one of the cliffs going into the lake, around where the sensor points you. There may be some elegant solution but I just shot it with a bomb arrow.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I found it, that was very rude.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is there a good way to quickly find the red dragon? He's been pretty elusive for me and I've only seen him in the distance where he'd vanish without giving me a chance to reach him

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Is there a good way to quickly find the red dragon? He's been pretty elusive for me and I've only seen him in the distance where he'd vanish without giving me a chance to reach him

Top of the cliff looking over the big canyon in the Hebra Region. There's a convenient house nearby, he'll appear every time you sleep till night.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He spawns way up north, on some dream fish skeleton pass Death Mountain. Though I haven't had much luck getting him by waiting there either, i'm never ready enough to get a shard of his horn.

Beat the story! Hyrule Castle owns. Ganon himself was also really dope, and it was fun seeing all the champions fire lasers. I was ready to go "yeah, i can see why people say this is too easy" when suddenly we enter a new phase and we're in the huge field and my first horse, Tim, whom I had abandoned by a mountain and stopped caring for in favor of Epona, suddenly showed up to help me and the arrows and ganon was so cool and big and the jump and :kingsley:

Pretty good ending, though I hope the new Hard Mode makes that whole sequence harsher.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a way to pull your selfies out of the album and onto the Switch? I can't seem to figure it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also, the Sheikah scope isn't as usable as it could be. Unless I'm really missing something, the inability to adjust its zoom is baffling to me, especially because you can adjust the camera rune's zoom just fine. Sometimes when I get up high and use the scope to look for pins (because they're too short to be seen over hills or trees), I'm zoomed in so far that I have to scan around longer than I want to find the pins, where if I could zoom out I'd find it right away.

Yeah the lack of a wind waker style telescope zoom is ridiculous. What I end up doing is looking around in 3rd person, then if I see a bit of a shrine or something, I am towards that, then pull out the slate. That way you're already dialed in and you just need to do fine adjustment. Because trying to scan the horizon in that much zoom is impossible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the lack of a wind waker style telescope zoom is ridiculous. What I end up doing is looking around in 3rd person, then if I see a bit of a shrine or something, I am towards that, then pull out the slate. That way you're already dialed in and you just need to do fine adjustment. Because trying to scan the horizon in that much zoom is impossible.

Yeah, it's not too bad when I'm placing pins. It gets inconvenient when I'm looking for pins I've already placed, because then I don't have anything in the third-person view to go on.

Anyway that's why I go back and forth between the pro and normal HUDs, really. The game does have great pathfinding tools built in, independent of the compass and minimap, but sometimes those aren't enough and I don't feel like constantly pausing to check my map. A few tweaks, though, and the minimap wouldn't be even situationally necessary.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Augus posted:

Is there a good way to quickly find the red dragon?

North of Death Mountain. Spawns almost every morning around 9 or 10 am.

To get to him I warp to the shrine north of the skeleton and then glide down to him. Should put you in a good position to get whatever you need.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've finally gotten 4 more Spirit Orbs (after my initial 4). I am far away. Is the general expectation that I fast travel to the prayer place?

Also: My first 4 I went with Stamina. Should I keep that up first? Or get more than my default 3 hearts?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Feenix posted:

I've finally gotten 4 more Spirit Orbs (after my initial 4). I am far away. Is the general expectation that I fast travel to the prayer place?

Also: My first 4 I went with Stamina. Should I keep that up first? Or get more than my default 3 hearts?

There are statues in other places around the world you'll find, but you might as well go back to the plateau real quick to cash them in.

You can respec points later on but you're gonna want more hearts at first, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
More stamina is pretty noticeable early on. I'd say get two stamina upgrades early on, then go from there. A heart or two for your first isn't bad, either. Really can't go wrong.