Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

As rad as those films are, I'm not sure any of them had a set piece as singularly ambitious in conception and jaw dropping in execution as the church scene.

If you take politics out of it, all of those films have at least three or four scenes that are just as good as the church scene. And it is a great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't get why the Church scene was that big a deal...I didn't think it so amazing when I saw it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a really, really well choreographed action scene, but the John Wick movies have like 5 of those in each one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

If you take politics out of it, all of those films have at least three or four scenes that are just as good as the church scene. And it is a great scene.

Politics?

I hate to low content post, but I really have no idea how politics applies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Politics?

I hate to low content post, but I really have no idea how politics applies

The scene takes place in a church and the people who get killed are all of a certain type. I thought maybe you were referring to that when you said it was "ambitious in conception".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The scene takes place in a church and the people who get killed are all of a certain type. I thought maybe you were referring to that when you said it was "ambitious in conception".

No, by that I meant how it gives the illusion of a single take (well, three single takes) while still remaining really fluid and punchy. The best fight scenes (like Jackie Chan's peak, or peaks) have a rythmn to them, set by the choregraphy and editing. Long take action scenes tend to have a much more meandering rythmn, like that one in "Daredevil" or the one in "Ong Bak - This time with an Elephant." It's not their fault, it's just that the performers need to find their marks each time, and so their rythmn tends to be a little slower and less finely tuned. Kingsman's was not.

The fact that the people were of a certain type makes the scene really interesting, and quite deliberately turns it into a power fantasy gone way too far. The music reinforces this, Freebird being a great song that goes on a little too long. But that's a textual point, rather than a technical one, which is what I was referring to.

Of the films you mentioned, I think the only set piece on a par was the prison riot in The Raid 2, which is the best scene of that kind I've seen. Even good and great film makers like Nolan and Scorsese have struggled to capture the sense of chaos of a giant brawl, and the deleted 'gang fight' scene shows that it was no fluke.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This movie owned so hard, I think I liked it more than part 1. I wish part 3 was now.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I hope the next movie establishes that everyone he fought in NY were the B-list/wannabes/people who just happened to be in the area, aside from Common, who was already chasing him. Now that the contract has doubled and he's cut off from support it would be neat to see people that are considered as good as he was back in the day coming after him.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're as good as John Wick, money probably isn't an issue for you. The challenge, on the other hand...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So the next John Wick flick should obviously be a crossover with Predator.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

weekly font posted:

Weren't they specifically on the PATH? That would likely mean they boarded at Hoboken.

Jesus christ touching the "MY REALISM" stove feels disgusting

This is two pages back but seeing that entire fight unfold at the WTC path station was great since I go through there on my daily commute but I had the same "MY REALISM" reaction when the train they got on started going down the 33rd street line which you can't get to from WTC and then on top of that they were calling it the dang C train and some of the stops the automated announcement mentioned don't even exist on that line.

also i liked this movie and the part where john wick shot the gun at the man

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

So the next John Wick flick should obviously be a crossover with Predator.

John Wick vs Predator vs Alien vs Robocop vs Terminator.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

John Wick 3 will be a zombie movie but with assassin hordes instead of zombies.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

My favourite scenes:
John Wick wrestles a bad guy on the ground and checks if his pistol is chambered with one hand.
John Wick rams a shotgun into a mans chest, before reloading it and shooting that mans spine all against a wall.
John Wick kills two men with a pencil in the absolute best possible way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really, the extended gag of John getting progressively more and more visibly frustrated with the shotgun's slow loading speed was the best part of that whole sequence

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really, the extended gag of John getting progressively more and more visibly frustrated with the shotgun's slow loading speed was the best part of that whole sequence

In general I underestimated how easily it would be for them to mix-up the action in new and interesting ways. I went into it thinking "ok, Wick probably shoots another hundred guys in the face, hopefully this won't get old too quickly".

Little did I know that just giving John Wick a shotgun(among other things) would completely change the dynamic of the action.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also I am glad they spend the money they earned on better blood and other body parts being sprayed about.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I liked the little speedloader thing he had on it as well. Half the time I wondered what the point of that was, only one shell in such a peculiar place. But then he just swipes it into the open chamber with a single smooth motion and I was all :aaa:

In general I was really impressed with how easy to read and follow the action sequences were. Take for example the one with the shotgun where he ends it by ramming the thing into the dude's sternum. At the beginning, you see the guards all come in and take cover in various positions while Wick loads like four shells into his gun. Then he goes in, and the first thought in my mind was "hold on, there's still a dude hidden behind that wall on the right". And sure enough, the guy comes out at that exact moment. Then Wick shoots four times and turns to the last guy, and I think "hey, shouldn't he have run out by now?". And once again, that does happen at that exact moment. The scenes are not just incredibly well choreographed, but also set up and executed in such a way that you pretty much always have a good idea what's going on despite their high tempo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Generally because they don't cut that much. I had a much easier understand of what was going on where because the camera stayed in one place for long enough.

Also, rolling down the stairs. Did he do that stunt himself because christ like looked kinda gnarly.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

PJOmega posted:

The opening sequence was amazing but made little sense to me. As soon as Wick called he should've ordered the car released. He knew Wick was coming. He had a huge smuggling operation about to occur to clear everything out in case Wick was coming. Be the first to extend the branch.

It sets up the rest of the movie. John Wick sets out to get his car back, and he does get his car back, but by the time he gets his car back there's nearly nothing of it left. Through the rest of the movie, he sets out to get his life back, but when he does get it back there's nearly nothing of it left. (To this end, I really liked the one brief scene of Wick sitting in his destroyed house with his dog next to him. This is his throne.) Put this next to the couple times in the movie Wick offers some variation of "you can walk away or we can both die."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hand Knit posted:

Put this next to the couple times in the movie Wick offers some variation of "you can walk away or we can both die."

I really like that everyone else given the choice holds their wound and gives up, whereas when John is presented a similar choice he barely hesitates when choosing two tickets for the ferryman.

Then again we did start this whole thing with him barely giving a poo poo and in mourning. Everyone could have gone on about their business as successful and living criminals, but they just just had to keep poking the bear.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hand Knit posted:

It sets up the rest of the movie. John Wick sets out to get his car back, and he does get his car back, but by the time he gets his car back there's nearly nothing of it left. Through the rest of the movie, he sets out to get his life back, but when he does get it back there's nearly nothing of it left.

Really nice observation, kudos.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

It sets up the rest of the movie. John Wick sets out to get his car back, and he does get his car back, but by the time he gets his car back there's nearly nothing of it left. Through the rest of the movie, he sets out to get his life back, but when he does get it back there's nearly nothing of it left. (To this end, I really liked the one brief scene of Wick sitting in his destroyed house with his dog next to him. This is his throne.) Put this next to the couple times in the movie Wick offers some variation of "you can walk away or we can both die."

But the car can be fixed its in the shop, ready to be parked in a freshly charred garage.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MrJacobs posted:

But the car can be fixed its in the shop, ready to be parked in a freshly charred garage.

I suspect it'll get "fixed in the shop" the same way the dead dog got fixed.

Bent frame, no pane of glass unbroken, lights gone, engine barely running, front end nearly crushed, bulletholes...really gonna get a "grandfather's axe" scenario there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

I suspect it'll get "fixed in the shop" the same way the dead dog got fixed.

Bent frame, no pane of glass unbroken, lights gone, engine barely running, front end nearly crushed, bulletholes...really gonna get a "grandfather's axe" scenario there.

The Muscle Car of Theseus.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Had not thought of it that way. Kudos on that observation.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're as good as John Wick, money probably isn't an issue for you. The challenge, on the other hand...

Ehh I mean in the first movie 2 mill is considered enough to go after him, even for a guy who knows just how dangerous he is and that the person he's offering the contract to has a personal relationship with him. Someone breaks hotel rules for 4 million. I get the impression that a typical hit is like $50-100,000, maybe more for people like John, but the 7 million offered in this movie is still a lot relative to that amount.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I could well see the whole assassin society having a tradition of lowballing the average contract towards five or six figures. After all, what's the point of having this whole Continental infrastructure and everything when the average assassin would need just three or four jobs until they've got enough money to retire permanently? With relatively lower individual payouts you have an incentive for individual assassins to stay in the game longer, giving you a nice big pool of practised and experienced people.

Besides, given the sheer number of professionals we've seen in JW2, all that competition probably also does its bit towards keeping the prices low.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of the "joke" of the Continental seems to be how insignificant actual money appears to be to people who are operating on that level. Favors and services are much more important, hence the coins and markers. The specific amount of money for each job seems to be more customary than anything else, its not like any of the Continental members we meet would want to be doing anything else for a living, even Wick recognizes that there's a big part of him that enjoys it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The thing is, you can't retire after a few jobs make you rich. John is one of the only people to ever actually retire, and he had to complete a legendary, impossible task to do so. Which is why the doubloons can be such a ridiculous currency, everybody good enough to have doubloons already has more than enough regular money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

The thing is, you can't retire after a few jobs make you rich. John is one of the only people to ever actually retire, and he had to complete a legendary, impossible task to do so. Which is why the doubloons can be such a ridiculous currency, everybody good enough to have doubloons already has more than enough regular money.

Wick himself couldn't retire easily, because he was working directly for a mob boss who had an interest in making sure he stayed in the game. That's not necessarily how every member of the Continental handles their business, if you only ever work freelance than I could see retirement going a lot smoother.

We also don't know how exactly people become members of The Continental. Maybe they hand pick people who show special talent, but not necessarily those who are already established as super-assassins. Maybe its like some other secret societies where you have to get sponsored by someone who's already a member, who knows.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I watched John Wick 1, and I loved it, but with reservations that will probably make me skip the sequels.

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's nice, but you should still see Chapter 2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I watched John Wick 1, and I loved it, but with reservations that will probably make me skip the sequels.

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in just how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

The sequel was made by all the same people who made the original and they're very very aware of the themes and moods they established in the first film. John really really doesn't start enjoying himself any more in this film or start thinking he's cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

What I enjoyed about John Wick 1 was how ultimately nihilistic and unpleasant the subculture of badass assassins and crime lords was. This is most obvious in just how Wick just can't enjoy it, while almost everyone else is playing their roles with gusto. There's a sense of wrongness no matter how cool the action scenes are that makes it a relief to get out once it's over.

I think you'll get more of a kick out of Chapter 2 than you expect, with that in mind.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Yeah, see #2. It's more of the same in all the good ways. They raise the stakes a bit in the background, but it's still Wick having to murder his way out of a situation that he didn't want to get into and warned the antagonists about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

All that really is in John Wick Chapter 2, it's emphasized and punctuated hard with this song at the end that the bolded parts of your post just made me start playing it in my head , Plastic Heart - feat. Ciscandra Nostalghia (John Wick: Chapter 2 OST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess I have no excuse now if I have enough money :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MariusLecter posted:

All that really is in John Wick Chapter 2, it's emphasized and punctuated hard with this song at the end that the bolded parts of your post just made me start playing it in my head , Plastic Heart - feat. Ciscandra Nostalghia (John Wick: Chapter 2 OST)

Seriously the best pseudo-Bond theme since Snake Eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Nerf John Wick: https://youtu.be/9MrnAJsxL8c

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread